Breakfast on the high seas

Honolulu Blue

Where do you MOST OFTEN eat breakfast when you are cruising?  

230 members have voted

1. 1. Where do you MOST OFTEN eat breakfast when you are cruising?

• Main Dining Room (MDR)
    • Buffet
    • Specialty restaurant (free)
    • Specialty restaurant (a la carte or extra fee)
    • Private lounge or dining room
    • In port
    • Room service
    • Bring my/our own food to eat in cabin
    • Don't eat breakfast
    • Other (please describe)

Hi, it's me again. Two weeks ago I asked about eating dinner while on cruises. You can view that thread and those results here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2312628

This time I'm doing the inevitable follow-up. For those of you who can't read the poll for whatever reason, here's the question asked: Where do you MOST OFTEN eat breakfast when you are cruising?

Again, thank you for your answers and replies.

I am much better at eating healthy if I am looking at a menu, ordering what I think is healthy, steering clear of just loading my plate with bread items. I also enjoy being waited on BUT if I have an early excursion, I will hit the buffet and load up with banana bread, and a hard boiled egg, coffee and head on out into the world.

I think sometimes on Carnival the staff is slow on purpose at breakfast, so that you wont come back. But on sea days I am not in a rush, so why do the buffet? I would rather have a real egg fried, than a fake egg scrambled.;)

Edited by marshhawk

I think a "sit down" place is much nicer! In the buffet, you get your food, then wait in line for syrup or butter, or whatever....then you have your plate, and utensils....

The dining room will have all the stuff you need ON THE TABLE, so nothing gets cold! You can order what you want, in any combination! The choices are the same...so why not be served???

I prefer room service for breakfast. But, depending upon whether it is a port day or a sea day, I will vary my routine.

Always on a port day, wherever I have breakfast, the meal will be light, very light. Touring on a full stomach is unpleasant for me.

On a sea day, I like to try the MDR once or twice for breakfast, but I almost always eat more than I ought. Thus, I will more often go to the Lido (buffet) restaurant so that I have better control of what I consume.

I truly appreciate HAL's providing Breakfast Room Service on disembarkation morning. That makes for a much more pleasant experience, less rushed, on that final morning aboard. And, the final smile and "Good Morning" greeting of the Room Service Steward helps to brighten my day.

If I am in a suite on NCL, I go to the suite dining room or get room service if it is very early before the suite dining room opens. On other lines, I tend to go to the MDR. I find both the suite dining room and the MDR to be a very relaxing and enjoyable way to start my day. On RCCL, in a suite, we tend to always get room service. On Celebrity, we mostly get room service. Princess, is the MDR usually. Carnival is the MDR.

Edited by SuiteTraveler

On sea days, we most often we eat in the buffet; we've cruised enough that we no longer feel it necessary to 'load up the plate because we can', and it's not at all difficult to eat healthful food. A plate of fruit, some yogurt and a small muffin or pastry, or a bowl of oatmeal and fruit - with the occasional treat of an omelet or waffles. We'd probably eat in the MDR more often if they stayed open later, but hate to be rushed on sea days.

On port days, if we have an early tour, we generally have room service.

We always go to the breakfast buffet. We don't want to have the painfully slow experience of the main dining room service. We have no desire to sit and make small talk with strangers. We like to be able to pick and choose and I particularly enjoy the omelette station.

While we have always tried the MDR and usually ordered room service for breakfast a couple of times, we do prefer the buffet.

I am not a morning person, I am bad at making decisions before my morning coffee, I might not want a full servings of something but rather a tablespoon of egg, one rasher of bacon, two mushrooms or half a serving of musli. I like to chose my own fruit instead of ordering a fruit plate and making special requests. All in all I simply do much better in the mornings if I don't need to talk to people, do not need to wait (longer than it takes to stand in line) and can see food instead of reading about it. I also eat less in the buffet as I tend to over order when ordering breakfast from a menu (with an unknown serving size).

Edited by Piggeldy