Some Thoughts about our recent Prinsendam Cruise

Hlitner

Just back from 55 days on our "still" favorite HAL vessel and am posting these thoughts because we are too lazy to right a regular review :).

A quick summation of our 55 day (we now have spent exactly 200 days on this ship) day cruise is Excellent, Excellent, Excellent. Those of you who have read some of my previous HAL-related posts know that we have oft been critical of HAL. But this recent "Grand Med" cruise (our 2nd Grand Med on this ship) exceeded all expectations. Service, food, entertainment and the ship (considering its age) were nearly perfect. Here are a few thoughts:

Loved our Signature Suite (cabin 057) which was our first time in anything above a normal cabin on this vessel. We booked the cabin thanks to an attractive upsell offer, and both DW and moi consider the upsell price money well spent.

The major renovation done on the area aft of the Lido (done in 2012 during a major dry dock) was simply brilliant. The newly enclosed area (also used as Canoletto) was a terrific idea and really increased the all weather utility of this space.

Food in the MDR was beyond Excellent. While often critical of food on HAL, we would be hard pressed to find anything to complain about during this cruise. Without a doubt this was the most consistently excellent food we have experienced on any HAL cruise (we are 4 Star Mariners with over 400 days). Much better food (except for desserts) then we normally get in the MDRs on Princess or Celebrity.

The Lido was typical HAL which is to say its adequate. We found lunch to be uninspired...but the quality and preparation of everything was excellent. This Lido is currently being totally rebuilt in dry dock (the ship is currently undergoing the work in Freeport, Bahamas) and converted to the new "Market Place" design. The custom made sandwich bar is being eliminated and future cruisers will have to choose from a small selection of pre made sandwiches. If you like a BLT on white bread this might be fine...but forget getting one on toast. Want a Pastrami with mustard.....well you will probably have to buy it at a port. HAL is also eliminating Pizza from the Lido (perhaps a good idea since Prinsendam Pizza has been the worst at sea (and perhaps on earth)). There will be no pizza in the new Market Place because they cannot find the space to install a real pizza oven (something that has never been on the Prinsendam).

We thought the ship was in better overall physical condition then our previous cruises. One exception was the teak deck around the main pool which is in awful shape (perhaps this will be fixed in drydock). Pieces of hard caulking were sticking out (a hazard) and many pegs (which cover the bolts) were missing or cracked.

Canaletto has the relatively new tapas-style menu and we found the experience to be good. But we heard some others complain....so once should carefully review the menu before booking the venue to make sure it meets individual taste/

Pinnacle - We enjoyed lunch here one day and quickly spotted some of the budget cutting such as replacing the previous Wagyu Kobe beef burgers with some other lower quality mystery beef. As to dinner, we heard good and very bad from numerous friends. Steaks seemed to range from "wonderful" to in-eatable." Our neighbors (and their friends) experienced filet mignon that they could not even cut...and the replaced steaks were no improvement (these folks were all 5 Star HAL fans). Many have long been aware that HAL changed steak suppliers (from the previous Sterling Beef) and while this change may have saved HAL some money...it sounds like quality was not a consideration in the switch. One friend complained that the Caesar Salad dressing tasted like it came out of a bottle (Caesar Salads used to be terrific in this venue).

One complaint, oft heard, had to do with the elevators (DW and I never used an elevator during the cruise....opting for the stairs). The Prinsendam only has 4 passenger elevators and for many days of our cruise...one of them would be out of service (for several days at a time) while undergoing major maintenance. While routine maintenance is a good thing...this seemed to be more like major maintenance (in prep for dry dock) that should have been left for dry dock. Being a long Grand Cruise we had a disproportionate number of mobility challenged passengers (even by HAL standards) some of whom had to wait over 15 minutes to get an elevator. The problem was made even worse because of all the scooters, wheelchairs and walkers which take up much of the space in these old small elevators.

The cruise really reinforced our long time love affair with this aging vessel and we hope that HAL keeps it in the fleet for many more years (rumors are that the ship is on the market for about $100 million.

Hank

Very good to hear. I am technically booked on the 11/2/17 transatlantic, but it will depend on being able to disembark the Amsterdam in Hong Kong 11/1 and get to Rome that evening. It looks like it may be possible; I certainly want one more bite at the Elegant Explorer and it sounds like the ship would be ready for me.

Roy

Hank, thanks for the report. We will be picking up where you left off. We board her in ten days. I hope they are done with everything from dry dock as they actually cut two days off dry dock and added it to our cruise. So we got two more days with no price increase, nice as longer as they don't bring a team of carpenters onboard ;).

I think Prinsendam has the best designed Canaletto in the fleet. I hope we find Pinnacle better then your report as we have several reservations there. If not, your MDR report is very encouraging.

Thank you for your most recent comments on Holland America's Prinsendam. I've always appreciated your objectivity when commenting on cruising issues, so I must say that I'm quite impressed with Holland America's smallest ship. While I've never sailed on the Prinsendam, I do prefer the smaller ships compared to the mega-ships that have been recently built by all mainline cruising companies. It's difficult for my wife and I to get enthused by the Pinnacle class ships, but we are hopeful that Holland America Line will retain some of its smaller and older vessels. As pointed out in previous threads, it will be imperative to give proper maintenance and upgrading to the aging fleet. It would appear that HAL has done a good job in maintaining the Prisendam. It's always nice to hear that people did not experience problems with plumbing and air conditioning.

Equally important, it's nice to know that Holland America Line is still trying to maintain good customer service and a reasonable quality of food in most of its venues.

Thanks, again, Hank.

We will on the Prinsendam next year doing the 56 day Grand Voyage to the Med. I have lots of questions as this will be our first time on HAL, after 37 cruises with Celebrity.

What was the weather like?

Did you get to Istanbul and Kudasi?

Can't wait to get on this cruise.

Thank you for your observations. We board her in October for 28 days and am now looking forward to it even more. I was especially glad to here your positive comments about the MDR, where we have been disappointed on recent HAL cruises. Just prior to Oosterdam's dry dock, I, too, had an uncutable steak in the Pinnacle. Do you know what will be done in her dry dock? I'm especially interested in whether the signature suites will be refurbished.

Hi Hank -- glad you enjoyed your time onboard Prinsendam.

I'm guessing, given the logistics of the stop in Istanbul (no one allowed off except some crew and departing/arriving passengers), you weren't able to find out much about the port renovation going on there?

Thank you for your observations. We board her in October for 28 days and am now looking forward to it even more. I was especially glad to here your positive comments about the MDR, where we have been disappointed on recent HAL cruises. Just prior to Oosterdam's dry dock, I, too, had an uncutable steak in the Pinnacle. Do you know what will be done in her dry dock? I'm especially interested in whether the signature suites will be refurbished.

The big item in the dry dock is a complete remake of lido into the marketplace. I assume carpet and such for all rooms.

Just back from 55 days on our "still" favorite HAL vessel and am posting these thoughts because we are too lazy to right a regular review :).

A quick summation of our 55 day (we now have spent exactly 200 days on this ship) day cruise is Excellent, Excellent, Excellent. Those of you who have read some of my previous HAL-related posts know that we have oft been critical of HAL. But this recent "Grand Med" cruise (our 2nd Grand Med on this ship) exceeded all expectations. Service, food, entertainment and the ship (considering its age) were nearly perfect. Here are a few thoughts:

Loved our Signature Suite (cabin 057) which was our first time in anything above a normal cabin on this vessel. We booked the cabin thanks to an attractive upsell offer, and both DW and moi consider the upsell price money well spent.

The major renovation done on the area aft of the Lido (done in 2012 during a major dry dock) was simply brilliant. The newly enclosed area (also used as Canoletto) was a terrific idea and really increased the all weather utility of this space.

Food in the MDR was beyond Excellent. While often critical of food on HAL, we would be hard pressed to find anything to complain about during this cruise. Without a doubt this was the most consistently excellent food we have experienced on any HAL cruise (we are 4 Star Mariners with over 400 days). Much better food (except for desserts) then we normally get in the MDRs on Princess or Celebrity.

The Lido was typical HAL which is to say its adequate. We found lunch to be uninspired...but the quality and preparation of everything was excellent. This Lido is currently being totally rebuilt in dry dock (the ship is currently undergoing the work in Freeport, Bahamas) and converted to the new "Market Place" design. The custom made sandwich bar is being eliminated and future cruisers will have to choose from a small selection of pre made sandwiches. If you like a BLT on white bread this might be fine...but forget getting one on toast. Want a Pastrami with mustard.....well you will probably have to buy it at a port. HAL is also eliminating Pizza from the Lido (perhaps a good idea since Prinsendam Pizza has been the worst at sea (and perhaps on earth)). There will be no pizza in the new Market Place because they cannot find the space to install a real pizza oven (something that has never been on the Prinsendam).

We thought the ship was in better overall physical condition then our previous cruises. One exception was the teak deck around the main pool which is in awful shape (perhaps this will be fixed in drydock). Pieces of hard caulking were sticking out (a hazard) and many pegs (which cover the bolts) were missing or cracked.

Canaletto has the relatively new tapas-style menu and we found the experience to be good. But we heard some others complain....so once should carefully review the menu before booking the venue to make sure it meets individual taste/

Pinnacle - We enjoyed lunch here one day and quickly spotted some of the budget cutting such as replacing the previous Wagyu Kobe beef burgers with some other lower quality mystery beef. As to dinner, we heard good and very bad from numerous friends. Steaks seemed to range from "wonderful" to in-eatable." Our neighbors (and their friends) experienced filet mignon that they could not even cut...and the replaced steaks were no improvement (these folks were all 5 Star HAL fans). Many have long been aware that HAL changed steak suppliers (from the previous Sterling Beef) and while this change may have saved HAL some money...it sounds like quality was not a consideration in the switch. One friend complained that the Caesar Salad dressing tasted like it came out of a bottle (Caesar Salads used to be terrific in this venue).

One complaint, oft heard, had to do with the elevators (DW and I never used an elevator during the cruise....opting for the stairs). The Prinsendam only has 4 passenger elevators and for many days of our cruise...one of them would be out of service (for several days at a time) while undergoing major maintenance. While routine maintenance is a good thing...this seemed to be more like major maintenance (in prep for dry dock) that should have been left for dry dock. Being a long Grand Cruise we had a disproportionate number of mobility challenged passengers (even by HAL standards) some of whom had to wait over 15 minutes to get an elevator. The problem was made even worse because of all the scooters, wheelchairs and walkers which take up much of the space in these old small elevators.

The cruise really reinforced our long time love affair with this aging vessel and we hope that HAL keeps it in the fleet for many more years (rumors are that the ship is on the market for about $100 million.

Hank

Thank you for sharing but truly, some of this does not sound so ex lldnt, eexcellent to me. :

Edited by sail7seas

"There will be no pizza in the new Market Place because they cannot find the space to install a real pizza oven (something that has never been on the Prinsendam)."

They will get a new pizza oven, but they are still discussing where it will fit.

I'm happy to hear that Prinsendam is doing well! I'll stay away from the steak. I have been disappointed in the steak all over HAL recently, but it was excellent on Westerdam last month, both in the MDR and Pinnacle, and there was a petite filet mignon in the Lido every night which was extremely popular - people were even asking for two at a time! Hopefully things will be better on Prinsendam after the refit - which I hope we will hear all about, with photos!

Hi S7S; everything OK with you? Take care and be safe! :)

HI cOPedxfdore qsk4R. tHaNKsking. I waas in tbutwmm now hom4esndqrecoveringfreeoving. LOTSS OF TYPo ERRORS. wORR4Y,.

Edited by sail7seas

My traveling companion and I resided in Stateroom 057 during the 2015-16 Christmas/New Year's Cruise and we loved it as well. I doubt it, but maybe in drydock, the mirror on the wall next to the bath tub will be removed. I really don't need to watch myself taking a shower.

We, too, found food quality, service, and entertainment to meet or exceed our expectations. We were fortunate to be seated in the Dining Room at the very first table on your left as you entered from the Ocean Bar, the small annex to the MDR. When I saw our table assignment, I thought I would really dislike it. (I have always had negative thoughts about this "annex" from my first view of the deck plans for Royal Viking Sun.) Boy, was I wrong! It was a great location.

Lido: your comments about the pizza were spot-on! My complaint about the Lido is that the offerings on each side were unequal. As an example, for breakfast, croissants were only available on the starboard side, not the port side. For whatever reason on my cruise, the deli made to order sandwich station was not usually busy. But, looking at the pre-made sandwiches, they were being eaten. Dive-in is a great concept and the crew there did a prompt, efficient job. I agree that the aft Wintergarden area of the Lido was a good addition that I really only found late during our cruise. But, why on the starboard side leading to this area are there steps and on the port side, there is a ramp? (I found this steps/no steps issue leading to the outside deck on forward port side and aft starboard side. One of the reasons that I think Prinsendam is a bit "quirky".) The Lido's ice cream station was ill-attended too often. No staff member seemed to be "dedicated" to that spot as I have found on other HAL vessels. Cookies were very good and I appreciated having holiday-related cookies offered which included gingerbread men cookies. (And, they were good! Very gingery, if that is a word.)

Pinnacle Grill: we enjoyed two dinners and one lunch there. My traveling companion is not a "foodie", but we were both satisfied with our dinners there as well as the service. She enjoyed our lunch in the PG better than the dinners. I am sorry that the better quality of beef burgers seems to have been removed from the menu. What I had was delicious.

Elevators out of service: yes, we had one in the forward elevator bank and it did take 2-3 days to return it to service.

I did not like the way one had to embark/disembark the tenders! It is, and on my cruise was, an accident on the way to happen when the seas are not flat calm.

I received excellent Front Office service. I had a minor issue that one of the gentleman took "ownership of" and got it resolved while keeping me well informed as to what was happening.

HD Bart Gronseveld (I hope I spelled his name correctly) and his wife, who was the Guest Relations Manager, and Captain Dag were the Senior Officers. I am firmly of the opinion that whomever the Senior Management officials are on HAL ships is now what makes a major impact on the quality of our cruise experiences.

I hope the Prinsendam long sails!

...............................HD Bart Gronseveld (I hope I spelled his name correctly) and his wife, who was the Guest Relations Manager, and Captain Dag were the Senior Officers. ...............................

Very close! Bart Groeneveld (green field in English ;)) His wife Daphnae is a GRS (guest relations supervisor) unless she was on 'move-up' during your voyage. Capt. Dag came over from Seabourne