There's Gelato and there is GELATO!

Lastdance

I have always been on S class ships, with most in and around Europe. The gelato has always been very good. Unfortunately, on the Millie, it is flavorless. Did Celebrity completely change it or are the vendors different. The difference is like night and day.

My DH liked it but we never get it at home as I just am not a sweet tooth at all. He even used my coupon for a second free scoop. I just don't get the attraction. :confused:

Maybe it was the flavorless one that I tried.

You might want to consider that when you get the real thing in Europe, the better places make it fresh daily and use fresh fruit for the fruit flavors. The stuff on ships is OK, but nothing like the "real thing."

You might want to consider that when you get the real thing in Europe, the better places make it fresh daily and use fresh fruit for the fruit flavors. The stuff on ships is OK, but nothing like the "real thing."

I love it in Europe and it is the best; however, we were on several S class ships where it was fruity. Even the coconut had real pieces in it. Europe has the best, but in some places in Europe it is to die for......

We found the gelato on millennium tasteless too but we both had bad colds and thought we couldn't taste it. On the next segment, we tried it again, no cold this time, and it was just as tasteless....definitely not worth the calories.

I find it difficult to differentiate between the free icecream and the gelato one has to pay for hence I don't bother with the gelato. I am sure it is only provided for those with perk coupons. I cant recall anyone actually buying it

Am I right in thinking that with Captains Club members benefits you are eligible for complimentary gelato from the place near Café Al Bacio?

Edited by leehal
mistake!

Personally, best gelato or ice-cream ever: Venice - nothing compares to this :). The Italians are the connoisseurs when it comes to ice cream ;).

Totally agree! The Italians know how to make gelato. I recently sailed on the MSC Divina (Italian cruiseline) and the gelato was "to die for"! Celebrity has really awful gelato, by comparison.

I agree latetly the gelato on Celebrity ships (at least Summit) have been flavorless. It was better before they started giving all Captain's Club members a free scoop.

Same thing with the laundry. They did such a nice job on just the wash and fold laundry before they started giving so many free laundry coupons.

I would never pay $4.95 for a scoop of their gelato. Especially since the free ice cream is good.

I agree latetly the gelato on Celebrity ships (at least Summit) have been flavorless. It was better before they started giving all Captain's Club members a free scoop.

I would never pay $4.95 for a scoop of their gelato. Especially since the free ice cream is good.

Agree with the above comment:

We tried the so called "Gelato" with our free coupons last year on the TA from Miami to Rome (Reflection). It was flavorless, tasteless and boring.

Compared to the REAL Gelato (which we enjoyed in Rome) we would not even pay 1 $ for the Celebrity product.

Personally, best gelato or ice-cream ever: Venice - nothing compares to this :). The Italians are the connoisseurs when it comes to ice cream ;).

Sorry to say, but the best ice cream can be found in San Gimignano - Sergio Dondoli makes the world best ice cream in Gelateria di Piazza!

steamboats

Sorry to say, but the best ice cream can be found in San Gimignano - Sergio Dondoli makes the world best ice cream in Gelateria di Piazza!

steamboats

I think you'll find that's still in Italy - as I stated above, ' the Italians are the connoisseurs when it comes to ice cream/gelato' ;).

I find the gelato on the S class ships to be tasteless. I think the ice cream is much better than the gelato.

I don't think much of their ice cream either. When you have brands like Hagen Daze, Ben & Jerry's, that real ice cream. My husband is less picky than me and he eats the ice ream on the ship.

Am I right in thinking that with Captains Club members benefits you are eligible for complimentary gelato from the place near Café Al Bacio?

Yes you get a coupon that qualifies you for 1 free scoop! We used it last cruise and they were very generous with the scoop I must say!

We bought it a few times extra as loved some of the flavours (the Dulce de Leche was to die for!!) and found both taste and consistency were far superior to the ice cream/sorbets at the buffet (which were already pretty good!).

Maybe those that didn't like the flavour they had try a few different ones next cruise...they were happy to give free tastings [emoji12]

Edited by QE2_Fan

Agree with the above comment:

We tried the so called "Gelato" with our free coupons last year on the TA from Miami to Rome (Reflection). It was flavorless, tasteless and boring.

Compared to the REAL Gelato (which we enjoyed in Rome) we would not even pay 1 $ for the Celebrity product.

But his often does one get to the local Roman gelato bar whilst on a cruise? [emoji38]

When I am cruising in Asia or Caribbean then it's not really an option to compare!

We don't eat the gelato or even the free ice cream. But we do stand in line for a cup of jelly beans.....can't resist 'em :D

Lol! Yes have been known to get a small bowl of gummy bears and 'hold the ice cream', once or twice! [emoji1]

steamboats

Oh great, now you tell me when I can't go back. :(.

I found the gelato flavorless on all our recent cruises and didn't even use all my free coupons. The ice cream upstairs is better although not as good as it once was. 16 years ago, on the Millennium, we discovered pistachio ice cream and even my wife loved it. She won't touch any of it today so I have to eat hers too. :D