What I think separates Royal Caribbean apart.

What I think separates Royal Caribbean apart from other cruise lines simply is ship design. In particular the Royal promenade and now Esplanade. There is no better gathering spot or start of your journey around the ship than these spots. We are going on the NCL Breakaway this fall and I know we will love it and have a great time. We are going back to RC next fall because we love the design and in particular the royal promenade/Esplanade. Just such a convenient gathering place to explore the ship.

On our cruises we always see other ships in port and I have never thought that any of them were prettier than Royal Caribbean ships. Yes I agree--great design both interior and exterior.

That is of course only one of the things I like about RCI. :D

We normally cruise NCL as the price is hard to beat, however my next cruise is a graduation present for my son so we booked RCCL as their ships have more physical activity's. I agree that RCCL ships are the most pleasant to look at from shore.

We love Royal for the same reasons, as well. Tried NCL for the first time last summer. Have sailed on Breakaway and Getaway. They are great ships, but don't have that "Royal" feel. I also feel that NCL is lacking on the pool space. Their exclusive Haven takes up precious pool space. Looking forward to checking out Anthem's pools next week!

And I am going to be the odd one out here........:D

We just got off Oasis on Saturday. First RCCL cruise. Normally Carnival cruisers.

While we LOVED our cruise and thought the ship was beautiful, it was just TOO BIG.

We felt such a huge disconnect with the water, we just didn't feel like we were on a cruise ship. And we had an oceanview balcony. That was the ONLY time we got to the see the water........Also, we felt ZERO movement. I love lying in bed at night and feeling the ship rock. NOTHING on this cruise. So weird.

We're going back to Carnival.

But we are happy we got to try Oasis out. Again, beautiful ship. Just not for us.:o

Edited by KPfromCT

We just got off Oasis on Saturday. First RCCL cruise. Normally Carnival cruisers.

While we LOVED our cruise and thought the ship was beautiful, it was just TOO BIG.

We felt such a huge disconnect with the water, we just didn't feel like we were on a cruise ship. And we had an oceanview balcony. That was the ONLY time we got to the see the water........Also, we felt ZERO movement. I love lying in bed at night and feeling the ship rock. NOTHING on this cruise. So weird.

But we are happy we got to try Oasis out. Again, beautiful ship. Just not for us.:o

Probably just really calm seas. Oasis class rocks more than some of its smaller sister ships. It is because of how tall it is. In the same seas the much smaller freedom class will rock less.

You might have been one of the unlucky ones. On our Oasis cruise a few years ago we experienced the roughest cruise out of all the cruises we have been on.

Probably just really calm seas. Oasis class rocks more than some of its smaller sister ships. It is because of how tall it is. In the same seas the much smaller freedom class will rock less.

We were on Deck 6, so that may have contributed, but, yes, the seas were like glass. It was weird. Just missed feeling the movement of the ship. lol

You might have been one of the unlucky ones. On our Oasis cruise a few years ago we experienced the roughest cruise out of all the cruises we have been on.

Not sure we'd want it THAT rough:D:D

We just all agreed that with ZERO movement, it didn't feel like we were on a cruise ship.

More like a floating mall/resort.....

But, again, gorgeous ship!:D

I would agree that the ship designs and entertainment options,(on the larger ships), are what set RCI apart from the other lines. On the other hand, I find the food to be average at best, and frequently disappointing, unless eating in the specialty restaurants, which we don't do because it is simply too much food and we eat at upscale restaurants frequently at home,(where we can split entree's and/or take home what we don't eat.)

Edited by mek

What I think separates Royal Caribbean apart from other cruise lines simply is ship design. In particular the Royal promenade and now Esplanade. There is no better gathering spot or start of your journey around the ship than these spots. We are going on the NCL Breakaway this fall and I know we will love it and have a great time. We are going back to RC next fall because we love the design and in particular the royal promenade/Esplanade. Just such a convenient gathering place to explore the ship.

I agree... 100%. For me the ships have always been the one constant that I have loved about Royal Caribbean. From the cabins to the Crown Lounge, the ships are easy to navigate, beautiful and luxurious in design.

Not sure we'd want it THAT rough:D:D

We just all agreed that with ZERO movement, it didn't feel like we were on a cruise ship.

More like a floating mall/resort.....

But, again, gorgeous ship!:D

We did not realy want it either. It was rough enough some of the crew/staff were sick and had to miss work. It was strange walking down the hallway leaning into the wall for support, and I am a non drinker.

I agree... 100%. For me the ships have always been the one constant that I have loved about Royal Caribbean. From the cabins to the Crown Lounge, the ships are easy to navigate, beautiful and luxurious in design.

Yeah everyone builds very big ship, there is just something different about RCCL ships. Easy to navigate is a good one. Like I said with the huge promenade/Esplanade.

You could also try a different class RCI ship. They're not all as big as Oasis - that ship class is unique to the cruise industry.

We did not realy want it either. It was rough enough some of the crew/staff were sick and had to miss work. It was strange walking down the hallway leaning into the wall for support, and I am a non drinker.

Which makes me chuckle because of your user name. Wasn't that the name of a beer that Molson had in the 70s-80s? I was a kid then but remember the beer caps from my childhood.

Edited by A&L_Ont

We normally cruise NCL as the price is hard to beat, however my next cruise is a graduation present for my son so we booked RCCL as their ships have more physical activity's. I agree that RCCL ships are the most pleasant to look at from shore.

They are pretty easy on the eyes when you are aboard too.:)

Just finished our first cruise on RCCL on Harmony, and probably will not cruise RCCL again. Loved the ship and the activities and the itinerary.

On the other 6 cruises we have done, we felt the crew on other lines recognized us more and asked us questions about the cruise, our day, etc. Hardly got that this past week on Harmony. Our server in Silk did, and our stateroom attendant. Employees in the promenade hardly acknowledged us as we walked by. NCL and Carnival would have employees handing out water and/or damp towels to use before boarding a ship after a day in port, RCCL just had the security guy looking at everyone cards and not even a welcome back.

The main reason we keep coming back to RCCL is the entertainment, I have seen so many great shows over last 30 years, also agree on design of ships ever since Sovereign of the Seas, which was so much nicer than every other ship when it started sailing in 80's.

You could also try a different class RCI ship. They're not all as big as Oasis - that ship class is unique to the cruise industry.

+1

I don't think one can decide whether or not they like Royal based on the Oasis Class. I love them, but I understand why many do not.

Ehh...if you say so. We have only sailed RCI so I will take your word that their design is so much better. I will say the décor was nice...but I, personally, would not call it luxurious. There were things I liked and things I looked at and said "Ok?".

But then, we have never chosen a cruise based on the ship. It is simply a means of getting from point A to point B to point C etc. For us, the most important things are the quality of the food, the level of customer service and the attitude of the staff. On our last cruise, if I am honest, all three had declined when compared to the previous cruise.

We really want to do an Alaskan cruise and the DW wants a balcony. That is causing us to consider a cruise in 2017 to get us to the balcony discount. The last time I did research the price for RCI was comparable to other lines for Alaska so the discount would be nice.

Based on most of the reviews I have read (and I certainly have not read them all), we will probably put our concerns aside and give RCI one more chance to show us they can deliver and that they think food quality and, to some degree, the service of it matter to them when it comes to customers who are not shelling out extra money to eat. We are usually tolerant so it isn't a huge risk.

Great responses. I don't quite understand anyone complaining about the service of any line. Granted I have only been on 5 cruises, 1 Princess and 4 RCCL/Explorer of the seas, but to me its always the same good. They are there when you need them, they do what is needed and I have never seen an unpleasant crew member. I wish I could say the same about the passengers because there is always a time or two on every cruise that my mouth drops wide open about how a passenger is treating a crew member and I want to punch that passenger in the mouth. These people are not your slaves, they are not at your beck and call. Treat these people with respect please. They come from all around the world and are away from there families months at a time. Ok that is my public service announcement, I will get off my soapbox now.

We have sailed mainly RCCL, Radiance Class & Freedom and each one offers us something different. We have also sailed Princess and again good service etc, however if we experience poor service, whatever, we don't shun the entire cruise line for a bad experience on one ships. we try another class or even go back to the one we didn't have a good experience with because the crew may change out and we have a wonderful time the next one out.