The new " Edge " class ship information/ date.

Kevnzworld

According to the builder, STX France, the Edge class ships will have 1,450 staterooms.

In comparison, the Stolstice has 1,425 and the Reflection has 1,523.

http://www.stxfrance.com/UK/stxfrance-actualite-33-STX%20FRANCE%20SIGNS%20A%20LETTER%20OF%20INTENT%20WITH%20RCCL.awp

If that is the case, I wonder if the difference will be made with single occupancy cabins which can be smaller in physical size.

I wonder if Celebrity announced tomorrow the first cruise on the Edge Class with prices 10% higher than say typical prices for a similar cruise on an S class but NO OTHER information than you have now, how may people would sign up and pay - no refunds!

The Edge ships are going to be gorgeous.....That is for SURE!

For people that can afford to book suites, I guess they will be. For cruisers like us who 95% of the time book insides, I am afraid we will be left to find other cruise lines especially if the prices to sail are going to be even higher than they are on their current ships.

From what I understand, The design will bring the Suite Class to the next level. Suites will be grouped together, with Michaels club close by and Luminae in the "zone" as well. I am not sure if they are going to have a special keyed elevator to get to the Suite Zone etc....This already has been highly successful on NCL and MSC..even on Oceania....so it was only a matter of time before X implemented their own.

This does two things....it creates a small ship in a big ship zone....far more intimate then going to Michaels club on Deck 4 and then your suite on deck 12 and Luminae on Deck 3 etc. Also, it removes the places that standard cabin guests cannot go from "right in front of them" At least 5 times per dinner on our last cruise people were walking into Luminae to dine not realizing that they were not eligible. This angers people and makes for a poor cruise experience for some.....By closing the zone....You provide a more exclusive experience to those who paid 4-10 times normal fare and nobody is getting turned away at any of the venues etc.

The Edge ships are going to be gorgeous.....That is for SURE!

Safe sails all!

You must have Oceania confused with some other cruise line. Their suites are all over the ship, various floors, opposite ends, no special dining area.

http://www.stxfrance.com/UK/stxfrance-actualite-61-STX%20France%20signs%20a%20letter%20of%20intent%20for%20three%20cruise%20ships%20with%20the%20US%20owner%20RCL.awp

Hopefully we will get more information from X very soon as construction on the first Edge ship is supposed to start this fall according to STX France.

I forgot to add in my last post yesterday that the Edge class is supposed to host the largest suite afloat.....dwarfing even the Reflection Suite.....FYI.

Well, if it's not at lease 5,000 sq ft I'll just have to look elsewhere.:D:D:D

In my dreams perhaps.

I forgot to add in my last post yesterday that the Edge class is supposed to host the largest suite afloat.....dwarfing even the Reflection Suite.....FYI.

• Reflection Suite: 1636 ft plus 194 veranda = 1830
  • M-Class PH: 1432 + 1098 veranda = 2530 (yep, bigger than Reflection)
  • NCL Haven 3 BR Villa: 5750 feet
  • QM Duplex suites, 2249 feet up to 9k feet with connecting cabins
  • RCL Royal Loft Suite: 1,640 sq. ft., main level balcony 415 sq. ft., main level side balcony 109 sq. ft.; upper level side balcony 89 sq. ft.

So to my knowledge they need to beat the NCL Haven 3BR villa. The Reflection Suite is dwarfed by it, and not even as big as M class PH.

To the poster that said/insinuated that there would be no inside cabins:

At +100,000 GT ship there's lots interior space to fill, after adding crew cabins, galleys, storage, crew staircases and technical stuff there will be inside cabins. The width of the ship is needed for stability.

Currently the 117,000 GT and 2900 pax are the only facts we know.

Any all suite/no inside ship is roughly under 50,000 GT and around 1000 pax at most. With numbers dropping to 180 pax on a 10,000 GT vessel (Ponant). 2900 pax needs a mixed configuration, not all want a suite on that one particular sail date.

Current or future ships to keep on eye on regarding pax/GT ratio:

AIDA's newest ship; AIDAPrima, 125,000 GT and 2950 pax with a hint of freestyle cruising/lots of onboard choices too.

TUI's new builds; Mein Schiff 3, 4, 5 & 6 at 97,000 GT and 2500 pax. With their spring 2018 Mein Schiff 1 replacement really getting close to Edge's numbers; 110,000 GT and 2900 pax.

To the poster that said/insinuated that there would be no inside cabins:

At +100,000 GT ship there's lots interior space to fill, after adding crew cabins, galleys, storage, crew staircases and technical stuff there will be inside cabins. The width of the ship is needed for stability.

Currently the 117,000 GT and 2900 pax are the only facts we know.

Any all suite/no inside ship is roughly under 50,000 GT and around 1000 pax at most. With numbers dropping to 180 pax on a 10,000 GT vessel (Ponant). 2900 pax needs a mixed configuration, not all want a suite on that one particular sail date.

Current or future ships to keep on eye on regarding pax/GT ratio:

AIDA's newest ship; AIDAPrima, 125,000 GT and 2950 pax with a hint of freestyle cruising/lots of onboard choices too.

TUI's new builds; Mein Schiff 3, 4, 5 & 6 at 97,000 GT and 2500 pax. With their spring 2018 Mein Schiff 1 replacement really getting close to Edge's numbers; 110,000 GT and 2900 pax.

Probably more likely it won't have any outside cabins, just veranda's. Also, wonder if they are going to do any of the inside cabins with views to the foyer or lobby, sort of like Royal has.

I wonder if there are any plans to place premium cabins at the front of the ship presently occupied by the fitness center and moving it to the interior.

Reflection added the priciest cabin to the area formerly part of the Sky Lounge.

I wonder if there are any plans to place premium cabins at the front of the ship presently occupied by the fitness center and moving it to the interior.

Reflection added the priciest cabin to the area formerly part of the Sky Lounge.

I always thought that was a crazy place for the gym , spa area

According to the builder, STX France, the Edge class ships will have 1,450 staterooms.

In comparison, the Stolstice has 1,425 and the Reflection has 1,523.

http://www.stxfrance.com/UK/stxfrance-actualite-33-STX%20FRANCE%20SIGNS%20A%20LETTER%20OF%20INTENT%20WITH%20RCCL.awp

That press release is almost two years , I wonder what changes have been made since then

Arno:

Good to see you back on the board.

I always thought that those suites were sort of an afterthought. If you remember, they had just done the rehab of the M class ships and moved the kids area to the left side of the sky lounge. Probably totally wrong but to me it was like guess what, we found a new area to play with.

Probably more likely it won't have any outside cabins, just veranda's. Also, wonder if they are going to do any of the inside cabins with views to the foyer or lobby, sort of like Royal has.

Inside and outside cabins serve a few useful functions, one of which is allowing the cruiseline to advertise low prices so the cruise features well on price scraping sites and in those full page newspaper adverts.

Inside and outside cabins serve a few useful functions, one of which is allowing the cruiseline to advertise low prices so the cruise features well on price scraping sites and in those full page newspaper adverts.

Saw a commercial yesterday for Viking Sea Cruises and one of the major points of the commercial was all outside cabins have veranda's. Different branding but who knows what Celebrity is looking at in the future. I do believe there will be insides.

Saw a commercial yesterday for Viking Sea Cruises and one of the major points of the commercial was all outside cabins have veranda's. Different branding but who knows what Celebrity is looking at in the future. I do believe there will be insides.

The Viking Sea is quite a small ship c.w. Celebrity's current ships and possible future Edge Class , only 47800 Gross Tonnes.

I always thought that was a crazy place for the gym , spa area

Sea view gym and Persian Gardens are awesome, but for spa treatment rooms inside are fine.,,

The Upper level panoramic views for M and S class nightclubs are great too (esp during the day) but were often monkeyed with by re-design efforts,,,

We are looking forward to the new ships...

Sea view gym and Persian Gardens are awesome, but for spa treatment rooms inside are fine.,,

The Upper level panoramic views for M and S class nightclubs are great too (esp during the day) but were often monkeyed with by re-design efforts,,,

We are looking forward to the new ships...

Or the art show in the sky lounge :mad:

I would fine with the gym in on Deck 2 with large tv screen to show the outside

Persian gardens a waste of time on me :D

But those cabins are also the ones which the cruise line makes no profit from.

Considering that the new CEO has stated she is looking to increase profits it would make more sense to eliminate the loss leaders and add more suites with higher prices. The new ships would be targeting a slightly different demographic.

Edited by C-Dragons