Bad call hal

Umbarger

That's the card that they put in your stateroom encouraging your input on what you enjoy (or don't enjoy) about your cruise.

And now that I have your attention, Sue, will you start the roll call for Zaandam's Circle Hawaii cruise? I was thinkin' about starting one, but will defer to you. (And I'm not trying to hijack this thread, but they don't have PMs enabled on this board :))

Not Sue, but she started one in February for the Apr/17 Circle Hawaii cruise: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2315771

Is that the one you were asking about?

We are on the 48 day Tales of the south pacific cruise. We are currently in Kona, Hawaii our last stop in Hawaii. HAL did not take us past the Lava flow last night. They decided, unfortunately for us passengers, to take the northerly route from Hilo to Kona rather than go past the lava flow. I can think of no reason the ship should take the northerly route and avoid the lava flow. The Noordam, which is on the way to Australia, went past the lava flow just a couple days ago.

We just got off the Celebrity Solstice cruise of the Hawaiian islands two weeks ago. Not only did the Solstice go by the Lava flow. The captain stopped the ship and turned the ship 360 so everyone was able to see. We stayed an hour at the lava flow. It was awesome and what a thoughtful thing to do for the crew and passengers.

I, and all other passengers I have spoken with, wonder why did HAL skipped a Hawaiian must see? The Lava was flowing; the weather was fine.

I must say people on board are not happy about this. I have seen the lava flow, thanks to Celebrity, so I really don't feel robbed by HAL , however, I feel bad for people who have not seen it before. This makes passengers wonder if HAL cares much about their passengers' enjoyment. It seems like a bad call on HAL's part.

The consensus onboard is that HAL has lost many of us to Celebrity's thoughtfulness. We have a choice when it comes to cruising and we know what line caters to it's passengers. HAL has another chance to be competitive with Celebrity as we leave Kona tonight. I hope HAL treats its passengers to a view of the lava flow.

I'm curious -- you don't mention in your post if this was something that was advertised, for example in the daily program or highlights, or otherwise mentioned as something that would take place -- and then it didn't happen?

If so, then I certainly think someone should have explained the situation, either the captain or (if he was otherwise occupied), the cruise director. I'm surprised all cruise lines don't fully understand the power of clear communications. It's human nature that if we don't hear an actual explanation, we automatically assume the worst -- e.g., "HAL are being cheapskates; HAL doesn't care about passengers," etc.

Once, on a Swan Hellenic cruise, the ship could not get into the port in Rome due to high winds. The captain kept us all informed at regular intervals of his attempts to enter the port, of the difficulty of even getting the pilot onboard, and then of the port authorities eventually closing the harbor. Despite the fact that to the average (non-expert) eye, the weather conditions didn't look that bad, no one complained....because of the thorough communications and explanations that were offered. There was disappointment of course, since Rome is always a highlight, but no real grumbling as we clearly understood there was nothing more the captain and crew could have done.

Several possibilities occur to me as being potential reasons why the lava viewing was skipped. Perhaps it was never planned on that day, but instead on the departure from Kona the following day that you mention. Perhaps there is some rule about cruising "traffic" doing this scenic viewing from one direction and not the other. Perhaps the weather conditions were not good. Perhaps the ship was running late for various reasons.

A little communication could have gone a long way. Perhaps you can clarify whether the lava viewing was indeed a promised activity and if so, whether there was literally no communication about why it was missed?

As the northern route is shorter, it would make sense that this would normally be the preferred route. Unless HAL promotes viewing the lava flow as part of the cruise, I find it difficult to be critical. I'd be disappointed, but not critical.

First World Whine :roll eyes:

I'm sure the Captain had a reason. Remember - the cruise does not guarantee anything other than being on the ship. Everything else is subject to change.

Geez, you are on a long cruise, one that most people will never be able to take. Enjoy that you are one of the fortunate ones.

Agree with both of you.. IMO this is an inconsequential complaint! :eek:

I would be delighted to take a long cruise now.. Now we can only take shorter cruises due to my DH's health..

We were fortunate & were on on a long HAL cruise in 2013 around SA & into Antarctica....We actually did not get into all the ports but I never heard anyone voice such illogical complaints.. If this was a site which was advertised in the HAL brochures, perhaps the Captain should have advised the Psgrs. but in this case I doubt it was..

As another poster said the last time this same Captain sailed past the lava flow, there were many complaints because all the Psgrs could see was steam & nothing to see..

I sympathize with the Captain because it looks like of case of-

"Darned if he did & darned if he did not!":rolleyes:

I can't imagine anyone calling HAL Customer Service about such an unimportant complaint..

Edited by serendipity1499

Not Sue, but she started one in February for the Apr/17 Circle Hawaii cruise: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2315771

Is that the one you were asking about?

Thanks, AQ! Yes, that's the one and I'll join. I couldn't find it, been looking for days. It DOES NOT display on the Roll Calls>Holland America>Zaandam page. At least not for me. Hope you and I sail together again some time.

(Again, sorry for the thread hijack. Wish we had PMs on this forum).

When we did the 33 day South Pacific we had lots of opportunity to see the "lava fields" as I call them (wrong word, I know) on the islands.

Lava does not flow that much that often now so I really don't think the OP has missed that much.

OP we missed Fanning Island and Moorea due to weather. pouring rain in several ports andwe still had a good time.

Not passing by a lava sight would have been the least of our worries -besides we wouldn't have seen it for the fog/rain ;)

I hope you make those ports and have fabulous weather. while I understandthe need to vent, I recommend you enjoy the good and don't focus on the bad. There's nothing you can do about some of the bad (weather/tenders/ports/scenic viewing) ;)

Edited by kazu

I understand the OP's complaint and agree with cruisemom42 that it's all in the communication.

Oh, and can we stop with the "first-world" stuff? That's the world I live in, and frankly, that all of us live in if we have computers and internet access to be able to join the conversation on these boards.

I understand the disappointment of missing a port or a scenic point of interest if it was listed on the itinerary. If that was the case, then surely an explanation would have been expected.

On our recent cruise on the ms Koningsdam, we had a storm in the North Sea that forced the Captain to make a tough decision. We had to miss the port of Alesund. However... he was able to get us an "extra" day in Amsterdam. That was a HUGE bonus for us, as we really enjoyed our time. It wasn't so good for the passengers from Holland! There were about 1,300 Dutch passengers on board, so another day in Amsterdam wasn't exciting to them.

The captain did something totally unexpected when he announced that he was going to take us down another fjord (not on our itinerary) so we could see an amazing waterfall. He sailed the ship close to the massive waterfall, the Fueriberjsfessen. Then he stopped and turned the ship slowly around so that everyone could enjoy it. It was spectacular and just a wonderful gesture.

If I knew how to post a video, I would show it here.

On one of our sea days, we went to the "Ask the Captain" session and it was fascinating to hear about the ship and have an opportunity to meet Captain Darin Bowland. Kudos to our Captain for doing little things to enhance our experience onboard the lovely ms Koningsdam.

Did the itinerary claim there was sailing past the lava flow? If not, the OP messed up not HAL and they should have chosen a different cruise if this was so important. Have problems understanding people who complain - and usually loudly and to everyone - when they have not done their homework or taken personal responsibility for something. Stuff happens if it was on the itinerary. Ports are missed or changed at the last minute and routes are changed for a variety of reasons, mostly for your safety.

So what did you enjoy on the cruise?

Center on the good and let the 'not so good' go - my philosophy for a better life.

Why are you people badgering OP? Aren't they allowed to be disappointed? I see no reason the ship skipped this feature. Maybe if there was communication to the guests explaining why it would take out some of the sting.

Corporate white knighting is an unfortunate byproduct of these forums.

I understand the OP's complaint and agree with cruisemom42 that it's all in the communication.

Oh, and can we stop with the "first-world" stuff? That's the world I live in, and frankly, that all of us live in if we have computers and internet access to be able to join the conversation on these boards.

Well said!

thank you for saying what I have been thinking for ages a bout the fvirst world stuff. We wouldn't have this forum at all were we not f irst world. Seems awfully dismissive to toss that out when a poster comes here and voices a complaint. What would any of us rfirst worlders compl ain of b ut first world matters? THautT is who we are.

Edited by sail7seas

Why are you people badgering OP? Aren't they allowed to be disappointed? I see no reason the ship skipped this feature. Maybe if there was communication to the guests explaining why it would take out some of the sting.

On the issue of communications, many posters have queried whether a viewing of the lava flow was part of the ship's itinerary. Unfortunately, the OP hasn't provided this critical bit of information. You refer to the ship as having "skipped this feature", which suggest that the ship was scheduled to sail by, but do you know this for a fact?

Are passengers allowed to be disappointed? Sure, but the OP went a step further and was critical of HAL without providing any justification. She and others might have liked to have seen the lava flow, but on most of my cruises there are things that I'd like to see too, but they just aren't part of the itinerary. On last fall's Canada-New England cruise, I would have preferred taking the eastern route around PEI but the captain took the western. Disappointing for me, but I'm certainly not going to be critical of the captain or HAL.

Everyone is allowed to be disappointed. But since the poster just saw the lava flow two weeks ago, it seemed odd to stir the pot, speak for disappointment felt by others, and make Celebrity the true focus of the post with such glowing mentions.

On another "Live from" thread, the author said some passengers started a rumor that the ship would go past the lava flow, thus leading to disappointment ...when it was apparently not on the itinerary in the first place.

Everyone is allowed to be disappointed. But since the poster just saw the lava flow two weeks ago, it seemed odd to stir the pot, speak for disappointment felt by others, and make Celebrity the true focus of the post with such glowing mentions.

On another "Live from" thread, the author said some passengers started a rumor that the ship would go past the lava flow, thus leading to disappointment ...when it was apparently not on the itinerary in the first place.

I agree, unfortunately this is a case where the OP is wrong in blaming HAL . This was NEVER on the itinerary and on the map that shows where the ship was going it always showed the ship taking the Northern Route from Hilo. Granted while we know rumors often run the ship this is a case of not knowing where the ship was going and it was never planned to go past the lava flow to the south of the Big island.

I'll stand by my "first world" comment. We are all just whining too much about inconsequential things. Complaining incorrectly about a Captain on a luxurious many day cruise just seems out of place when all that is going on lately. Just be happy you had a "first world" problem and do not have to live with "third world" problems.

The OP needs to change the thread title to "Bad call Rumor Starter"!

Blame the person who started the rumor, not the captain following the advertised route! :rolleyes:

They decided, unfortunately for us passengers, to take the northerly route from Hilo to Kona rather than go past the lava flow. I can think of no reason the ship should take the northerly route and avoid the lava flow.

I think the captain would have a better idea about what to do with his ship. ;)

We did a sail-by on the Pride of America a few years ago and wit was rather disappointing. Yes, the lava was flowing but the hype about it did not match the actual experience. Earlier in the day we did a helicopter excursion that flew us over that same are - now that was worth it!

I'll stand by my "first world" comment. We are all just whining too much about inconsequential things. Complaining incorrectly about a Captain on a luxurious many day cruise just seems out of place when all that is going on lately. Just be happy you had a "first world" problem and do not have to live with "third world" problems.

My first-world problem is people who are from the first-world who dismiss others' comments merely because there are things "going on." :rolleyes:

Attention Cruise Critic: time to shut down the boards! You're enabling us.

We are not badgering the OP.. Did you read the Title of this thread?

The title said "Bad call Hal " with a thumbs down.. IMO the OP just wanted to stir up trouble!

On the issue of communications, many posters have queried whether a viewing of the lava flow was part of the ship's itinerary. Unfortunately, the OP hasn't provided this critical bit of information. You refer to the ship as having "skipped this feature", which suggest that the ship was scheduled to sail by, but do you know this for a fact?

Are passengers allowed to be disappointed? Sure, but the OP went a step further and was critical of HAL without providing any justification. She and others might have liked to have seen the lava flow, but on most of my cruises there are things that I'd like to see too, but they just aren't part of the itinerary. On last fall's Canada-New England cruise, I would have preferred taking the eastern route around PEI but the captain took the western. Disappointing for me, but I'm certainly not going to be critical of the captain or HAL.

Completely agree & Well Said!

Edited by serendipity1499