Celebrity Edge's Blocks Are In The House!

Lloyd555

Without seeming negative, does anyone else think that those balcony chairs look really, really uncomfortable? Imagine in a bathing costume or shorts and t shirt on them ---- eeekkkkk. We use our balcony as a 'bolt hole' on sea days to chill and relax. Can't see us relaxing on those at all ..... very strange

The thing I noticed about the balcony chairs are that the seat back does not look to be adjustable, with the several notches for different inclines, and the seat back is not that high. Hope I explained that right:).

PS Without seeming negative, does anyone else think that those balcony chairs look really, really uncomfortable?

We use our balcony as a 'bolt hole' on sea days to chill and relax.

Can't see us relaxing on those at all ..... very strange

Sorry; had to GOOGLE this :D

bolt·hole

• a place where a person can escape and hide.

• Lovely; I think I know what you mean.
  • We have found our balconies to be wonderful, until they get uncomfortable.

Edited by $hip$hape

PS Without seeming negative, does anyone else think that those balcony chairs look really, really uncomfortable? Imagine in a bathing costume or shorts and t shirt on them ---- eeekkkkk. We use our balcony as a 'bolt hole' on sea days to chill and relax. Can't see us relaxing on those at all ..... very strange

I hate them...which I've probably mentioned before. We're such balcony people and these just make me sad. Love the rest of the ship, think she's really cool but we'll have to book an aft if she ever does an itinerary that appeals.

I hate them...which I've probably mentioned before. We're such balcony people and these just make me sad. Love the rest of the ship, think she's really cool but we'll have to book an aft if she ever does an itinerary that appeals.

Thanks for the responses and those above. The one looking for a translation of 'bolt hole' made me laugh. We may be cousins but the US and UK English is sometimes a 'mystery' and needs translation ;-)

I really hate those chairs ---- who on earth designed those ?!!! We booked really early and booked an IV instead of a SV cabin as we thought the IV was superior

Ironically we have just come home from Connie where our C1 balcony was about 18ft by 8ft --- with 2 sun loungers and a tables, plus a table and 4 chairs ............. and room for a table tennis table and disco ....................................

It will be difficult to sit on a chair that digs holes in our back when we try to relax ...

The ship is stunning and IV cabin idea fabulous.

Then they get those silly chairs

Brilliant - thank you for posting these amazing shots :-)

PS Without seeming negative, does anyone else think that those balcony chairs look really, really uncomfortable? Imagine in a bathing costume or shorts and t shirt on them ---- eeekkkkk. We use our balcony as a 'bolt hole' on sea days to chill and relax. Can't see us relaxing on those at all ..... very strange

As I previously mentioned, those clunky chairs remind me of Florida Lanai furniture from 2 decades ago.. good yard sale material.

But you can always do alot with pillows, improvised leg rests etc Guess it will be a no go drip drying our swim suits out there!

The thing I noticed about the balcony chairs are that the seat back does not look to be adjustable, with the several notches for different inclines, and the seat back is not that high. Hope I explained that right:).

Hubby said the same thing --- he has a dodgy back ---

I know we are being negative but we have paid a lot of money and the ship is stunning !!!

Why this has passed planners is beyond me .... we hate those chairs !!

Thanks very possible. I can also see them wanting to show the IVs as that is a new thing and first for bigger cruise ships.

From what I have seen thus far, I'm very impressed with what they have done. For those in our group that are in an IV, when they saw the pictures they said something like, "nicest room we have ever had".

I know you had concerns about storage, hopefully you will be pleasantly surprised.

Hard to believe from photos posted

The bed by balc seems like it will be awkward...big bed takes up alot of space. Not liking the low end ikea type furniture, spartan pale decor , not much storage, hanging hooks etc. The cabin looks like it will feel closed in and dark ???

Other than the bathroom ( wow!) and all.our AQ amenities, we are not excited about the cabin at all. Very disappointed in what the photos show.

Hope we are wrong .The .rest of the ship is AWESOME so we will focus expectations in that direction

Looking forward to our Sunset Veranda in Nov 2019, and hope it's true that M class upgrade will NOT include Inf Verandas

Hubby said the same thing --- he has a dodgy back ---

I know we are being negative but we have paid a lot of money and the ship is stunning !!!

Why this has passed planners is beyond me .... we hate those chairs !!

I don’t think you’re being negative. We’re paying a fat lot of money to sail on a ship Celebrity bills as “transformative”, and we have every right to note things that don’t merit that tag. Those chairs don’t look comfortable to me either. The back is angled back too far for comfort or proper back support. I expect I’ll make it work by using a folded towel or a pillow for support. It is a pity they don’t seem to have consulted an ergonomics expert regarding this, and many other chairs pictured on this beautiful new ship.

From a video posted earlier.... it appears one key thing about Edge is that instead of having the ship structure on the exterior of the ship... they moved it closer to the center of the ship.... this allows the cabins to have less steel around the windows... allowing more light into the cabin.... and more of a view. With this in mind, I don;t know how they can accomplish this with existing ships during any remodel. It seems this would be a significant change. So if they did make IV... the cabins would not be as open this is and the bathrooms are unlikely to be any bigger. From what I have read the IV are larger.

The bed by balc seems like it will be awkward...big bed takes up alot of space. Not liking the low end ikea type furniture, spartan pale decor , not much storage, hanging hooks etc. The cabin looks like it will feel closed in and dark ???

Other than the bathroom ( wow!) and all.our AQ amenities, we are not excited about the cabin at all. Very disappointed in what the photos show.

Hope we are wrong .The .rest of the ship is AWESOME so we will focus expectations in that direction

Looking forward to our Sunset Veranda in Nov 2019, and hope it's true that M class upgrade will NOT include Inf Verandas

I understand your concerns. I wouldn’t like the bed by the balcony either. We are actually looking forward to having the larger bed, though we were perfectly happy with the Queen beds on previous ships.

Though I haven’t seen photos of the closet’s interior, the floor plan shows a reasonably sized closet. I do hope the closet contains shelves as well as space for hanging clothes. Otherwise, the storage will certainly seem less useful than that found on previous ships.

Since I have had an S-class cabin with one of the deepest angled hump balconies, I don’t share your concerns about cabin darkness. Despite the depth of our S-class balcony, our cabin seemed reasonably bright on sunny days.

I hope the final decorative touches to the IV cabins add some splashes of color and texture to the spare bones of the furniture. Regardless, I’m finding many more positives than negatives when I view the latest photos of the ship herself, as well as the IV cabins.

I understand your concerns. I wouldn’t like the bed by the balcony either. We are actually looking forward to having the larger bed, though we were perfectly happy with the Queen beds on previous ships.

Though I haven’t seen photos of the closet’s interior, the floor plan shows a reasonably sized closet. I do hope the closet contains shelves as well as space for hanging clothes. Otherwise, the storage will certainly seem less useful than that found on previous ships.

Since I have had an S-class cabin with one of the deepest angled hump balconies, I don’t share your concerns about cabin darkness. Despite the depth of our S-class balcony, our cabin seemed reasonably bright on sunny days.

I hope the final decorative touches to the IV cabins add some splashes of color and texture to the spare bones of the furniture. Regardless, I’m finding many more positives than negatives when I view the latest photos of the ship herself, as well as the IV cabins.

We have had the oversized S balconies as well. All depends on the angle of the sunshine! The cabins are larger than S class, I think, ..but the large bed negates extra space. I am supposed to be be getting a non cashmere mattress,,...maybe it can be a queen size.....???

I am ordering a floral arrangement and bringing along a few colorful scarves to brighten up the super dull decor,, In one of the mock ups I recall seeing a vase in a niche..wonder if that is the curved cutout near the closet?? That would be nice for a bouquet.

Wonder where they will put our AQ green apples and bubbly?

I love the rest of the ship but until we sail on her not sure we'll book a third cruise...and instead, may happily go back to Silhouette and

Equinox

Hcat, one of the photos had a lovely seashell in the niche, so I imagine they intend to place something decorative there. We too shall be looking for bubbly & fruit in our Concierge cabin. I suppose they’ll place them on the vanity/desk or the IV table. I hope we’ll find footstools with the IV chairs. I too always pack scarves, so I’ll definitely be able to add color if necessary. I expect that we’ll have a wonderful time, with only a few small annoyances. We’re ready:cool::cool:

Yeah. A stretchy back and padded seat just spells uncomfortable, no matter how cozy they might actually be. Perhaps some are prejudging?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

Yeah. A stretchy back and padded seat just spells uncomfortable, no matter how cozy they might actually be. Perhaps some are prejudging?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

Did you miss the part about the angle of the back of the chair? I think most of us have enough experience with ergonomic and non-ergonomic chairs to recognize which seating works for us.

That's right..I recall commenting that it looked too delicate for the cabin but added an organic element, We are excited for the Jan cruise,

We will be down in Fla by then....we'll drive over to E coast and stay one night pre cruise near the port.

Thank you steamboats. Amazing pictures - a lot more detailed and the 360s are fabulous! On this one you get a closer look at the electricals next to the bed - the bottom one has something coloured on it but still not sure if it's a socket!

The bottom electrical almost looks like it might be an open/close for the shade as it doesn’t appear to have any type of sockets. Will be interesting to find out!

This whole process of speculation is fun!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Lol I had just invoked your name in a post, and you magically appeared:') No. I expect you to first promenade slowly, cocktail in hand, allowing the beauty to gently envelope you until you’re fully relaxed. Then, and only then, I expect you to run around like the video lol!

That sounds more like it! Do they give out Cruise Critic Oscars? ;)

Maybe and maybe not. It depends on the cruise and exposure one has had before. [emoji3]

Lucky for them, they have bed by the bathroom and like that. IMO that’s a better configuration for an IV cabin as the cabin looks more open. It would have served Celebrity well if all IVs had bed by bath. But given the way cabins are pre-manufactured and slid into place it’s too late for a change. I’m sure Celebrity will listen to guest feedback and make changes as necessary on future builds.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Personally from what I’ve seen I’m loving the ship and the cabins. I don’t feel the cabins are IKEA at all, and the balcony chairs look cool to me. I’m not going to condemn everything until I experience it in person, then I may feel differently. One of the things I love about Royal Caribbean/Celebrity is their willingness to take chances and innovate. Does it always pan out as a success? Nope but I applaud them for trying. If I want to sail with a company that plays it safe, I have any number of Carnival Corp brands to choose from. I’m not saying they are all bad and trust me I sail most of their brands, but I place Royal Caribbean/Celebrity in a different caliber.

I read some complaints about the lamp on the dresser. Both the Quantum Class cabins and HARMONY OF THE SEAS have this and I really liked it. It provided a more home-like feel along with an accent wall that was a different color. This along with the coverlet and throw pillows really added some color. I do wish Celebrity would have gone with the same closet configuration as Harmony. They are awesome and my cabin on Harmony was one of my all time favorites, and really big too.

Perhaps you can answer this. Where they only given the opportunity to view an IV cabin from all the available cabins? Thanks.

DH said they had 4 cabins ready for the group but all were IV - just that one was bed near balcony and the other sofa near balcony. No suites, no inside, no other categories.

steamboats

Maybe and maybe not. It depends on the cruise and exposure one has had before. [emoji3]

Lucky for them, they have bed by the bathroom and like that. IMO that’s a better configuration for an IV cabin as the cabin looks more open. It would have served Celebrity well if all IVs had bed by bath. But given the way cabins are pre-manufactured and slid into place it’s too late for a change. I’m sure Celebrity will listen to guest feedback and make changes as necessary on future builds.

Celebrity makes the cabins feel more spacious by recessing the bed into the wall slightly – to do this they have to alternate the bed location on adjoining cabins [my recess cuts into your space, but I pay you back because you recess cuts into mine].

I know that my post will not be met with cheers that are quite popular in this Edge thread.

But I feel that in a few weeks many of you would notice the things that I am going to write about, and would agree with me.

Whoever designed the Edge staterooms, is a hotel designer, NOT a cruise ship stateroom designer.

Inside the cruise ship, it is all about the SPACE, storage plus horizontal space to put your stuff on.

Edge staterooms – regular, not the suites – do look like a European hotel, where people drop their bags for a couple of nights without unpacking, go around the town, eat out, sleep, and then keep going. The “sleek” design that X is touting and promoting, and that some of you have mentioned as a fresh gulp of air, is good for such “Eurotels”… but personally, I am disappointed.

Please do not take me wrong.

I am totally happy with modern design, colors (to a certain point) and layout (how one could mess the fleet-accepted positioning of 4-5 main furniture pieces?!).

I am not happy at all with spacing.

I was still unclear about the real look of the stateroom, because my impressions were mostly based on renderings, but once the detailed USA Today photo report appeared, I feel that X took a step back in designing the Edge. Again, I am sure many of you would disagree but I just want to voice my opinion, and I bet some of you will change their mind once they hear what I have to say.

Cruise ship stateroom space is precious, and Edge’s stateroom wastes this space - obviously.

I give you several examples.

1. Ugly – cannot say this in a different way – socket box. Whoever came with this idea, has to be fired. It eats a lot of space and it is a sore spot for an eye, no matter how you look at it. It looks odd as it is (empty),but now try to imagine multiple wires “octopussing” out of it… and you can’t keep anything atop of it, because eventually you would need to disconnect and re-use the adapters docked inside. What was wrong with keeping the sockets on the side of the “storage isle”, as it is on S series ships? Why it had to be moved on the top of the drawer/fridge unit? Beats me…

2. The closet is far smaller than on S ships, particularly due to the curvature where the useless niche sits – in renderings, there was either a vase or a coral placed, but I’d rather have there a couple of corner shelves for keeping small things like sunglasses or binoculars etc.

3. Why would one change the glass door-covered shelves in the bathroom (on S ships) with the open ones, without even small rails, like it is accustomed on the ships EVERYWHERE, to protect your stuff of falling down on the rough seas…

4. Many of us have already sighed about the pullout vanity desk – this is a cheap and definitely not a smart decision, because you CANNOT store anything on it, it has to be tucked in during the day to give space forgoing around the bed. I like to keep my laptop on the desk. DW likes to keep her makeup bags on the vanity desk. Stationary desk of S ships was good enough for that. Where this has to go now - on the "octopussy box"?

5. Where did the glass top small table of S ships go? Where the room service tray would land – that pitiful trunk-alike “chair” won’t hold it, and the balcony table has side handles popping up, so the standard room service tray will not fit there – unless Edge would have a special ones, but then you all know that even a standard hotel room service tray is about 2 ft wide…

6. Balcony “chairs” are a joke – what happened to good, sturdy, reclining S ship balcony lounge chairs? Yes, I got an idea of using these new ones inside the stateroom, but come on, they look even cheaper than IKEA-made, and just imagine trying to “sit back and relax” in those! Watch out for those backs!

7. Overall lack of HORIZONTAL space in the Edge stateroom is obvious – and yet the hotel designers still placed a relatively big table lamp on the chest of drawers. Why not just adding a sconce on the wall? (somebody already had mentioned this before, and it is really an obvious choice... but not for a “Eurotel”!)

8. There is a very strange positioning of a/c outlet, at least on the photos posted by the USA Today - I feel there is a cheap solution for alternating the couch and the bed (by the balcony or by the closet), but this observation needs more feedback from you “first-goers” – please pay attention to that. What I mean is that is looks like the position of the air ducts is fixed (next to the closet), so if your bed is there – next to the closet– then the a/c ducts are right above you, while for those who have beds at the balcony, will have the ducts will be over the couch. Not sure how this would affect the feel of the airflow, but again, recall that on S ships they are located over the closet, and therefore the airflow goes from the deeper end of the stateroom to the balcony.

There are a few other small things that I have noticed… However, the ones above are those I PERSONALLY feel would not be well accepted by me. I like the new design of the Edge a lot, I just think that the staterooms could have been arranged far better.

But that’s me.

Edited by marylander2