Asking the important questions: YOUR side of the bed

POA1

We seem to be an anomaly here - DH always sleeps on the side closest to the bathroom, often the opposite of how we sleep at home. Apparently I'm part camel and don't have to worry about getting up during the night, unlike my hubby.:eek: We always have teeny little flashlights on our night stands so he never has to worry about trying to find his way in the dark.

"Penthouse beds are angled" . . . you poor dear. LOL

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

Mine! It's all mine, dammit!

That's what DD says now, too, after a couple of cruises sharing with us, she insists on her own room - plus two chocolates at bedtime!;)

And I forgot to say, I sleep on the same side as I do at home. And we have one sink - we have just had double sinks taken out of our bathroom in our "new" townhouse in order to enlarge the shower.

Edited by Vict0riann

I used to laugh at my parents for having to sleep on the same sides as at home. I've quit laughing. On cruises or hotels, we sleep the same as at home if we share a bed. In ocean view cabins we prefer the bed split so that we can walk up closer to the window. Then we usually pick so we can roll out on the same side we're used to.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I never though about it before either, but we normally do the same thing we do as at home.

The only exception was the PS on the Zuiderdam (an upsell) - it might have been because of the side of the ship we were on but we ended up on our opposite sides.!

I never even thought about this until you asked the question:eek::D:p

Whether at home or at sea, I always sleep on the south side of the bed.

What happens if it faces with east/west sides?

Or is it like a church with a liturgical east that may not face east??

When I can't sleep on the south side, I can't sleep. A liturgical east might put an end my sleepless cruise nights. I wonder if my deeply disturbed mind can buy into the idea of a liturgical east. I will see what the voices in my head have to say.

I don't even get a vote on closets. We have a reasonable amount of parity on drawer space on the ship though.

I tend to take up a bit of space in the closet on the ship because I hang all my slacks by the bottom cuffs using clip hangars. (It removes wrinkles.)

My wife gets more floor space for shoes though.

Oh, yes, the shoe thing. You are fortunate to get ANY floor space.

Thanks for starting this amusing thread!

Usually I'll choose closest to the bathroom or door dependent on where we are ... At home I sleep on the left when hubby is home , which isn't that often so I mostly sleep starfished in the middle :D

We've only ever had two bathrooms in one apartment we rented lasted year in Belfast ... He got the ensuite and I got the main bathroom. Not by choice it's just that he moved on a month before I did . We did discover we both hate the ensuite bathroom concept though so our new build we are planning will not be having one.

Thinking of double sinks took a while ...not that common in smaller uk homes, and then I remembered a hotel in Thailand that had two sinks and I gave him the one nearest the bedroom ...no reasoning tbh I was so overwhelmed by the actual hotel I was in a dream world ... It had a bath outside built into rocks !!

DH always gets the side nearest the window as he likes to put a box fan in the window on cooler spring/fall nights. This does cause us some issues as I can end up on the 'wrong' side of the bed and have to adjust. My preferred side is the left side of the bed but I do have a slightly higher preference to be closest to the bathroom.

On cruises, I am always the one nearest the bathroom. We don't have any peccadilloes on closets or bathrooms that I've noticed. When we've had double sinks, I tended towards the right or where there wasn't a wall impeding my movement.

Usually I'll choose closest to the bathroom or door dependent on where we are ... At home I sleep on the left when hubby is home , which isn't that often so I mostly sleep starfished in the middle :D

That's a great description of how our 100 lb golden retriever sleeps. Did I mention he's over 5' tall when he stretches out his paws?

On board ships or in hotel rooms the same side as at home. If by chance in hotels there are two beds I always let DH have the one closest to the TV.

Never had the good fortune to have double sinks on a cruise ship, just always thrilled to be onboard! I do believe I made the choice at home as to which sink in our MB I took. I also gave DH the larger of the two walk in closets as I have my stuff spread across closets in two other rooms.

When sailing, since I did the packing I do the unpacking, I pick where his stuff goes and where mine is placed. Although I immediately give him a tour and show him where all his stuff is it is usually midway into the cruise before he can manage to get dressed without having to ask me where something is. :rolleyes: You can guess who re-packs for disembarkation, such fun. And no, I really really can not let him do his own packing.... it would be a disaster! :eek:

Whether at home or at sea, I always sleep on the south side of the bed.

Understandable - when the ship is eastbound or westbound; but, what do you do on a northbound or southbound course?

I couldn't care less so I take whatever is left after my wife picks her side (which choice never seems to follow any pattern I can detect).

Mine! It's all mine, dammit! (didn't want you to feel that part went unnoticed.) Unlike at home where the cat takes her half in the middle, and I can't even roll over in a queen size bed. :eek:

I sprawl diagonally on the bed, but always get up on whichever side does not face the blank wall in the close confines of a cruise ship cabin. It drives me nuts to get up with my nose pressed against the wall, especially in those cabins where the clothes hooks are near the bed. I feel like I might suffocate trying to find the bathroom in the dark.

Understandable - when the ship is eastbound or westbound; but, what do you do on a northbound or southbound course?

I couldn't care less so I take whatever is left after my wife picks her side (which choice never seems to follow any pattern I can detect).

Another big conundrum: What if the ship has to circle as part of a rescue mission? Do you have to twirl on the bed? ;)

LOL - the "queen" beds on the cruise ship are too small. We always have the bed separated on a cruise so we both get our space and I can keep the blankets on me (my husband will pull the bed covering around him and because of the duvets so many cruise lines are now using, I end out in the cold.

It's mine - all mine - dammit!

But I do have travelling routines: night sleeping under the covers - closest to the bathroom; afternoon nap on top of the covers - closest to the balcony. :D

I can't seem to shake those afternoon naps - even on excursions. :eek: