A couple of Celebrity Rants

Hlitner

Thank you very much Hank for sharing your experience and your opinions. I don't have your cruise experience, therefore, I appreciate the feedback, which is helpful to keep in mind, in view of a future upcoming cruise with Celebrity.

This said, I am disappointed, too often about people criticizing posters such as yourself. I thought that it was one of the objectives of these boards, to share and learn from each other. Sometimes, some OPs will post on something of less interest to me, and sometimes it's the other way, and it's very interesting.

So please, continue to post and share your opinions and experiences, I still have a lot to learn!

Thanks!

RCL Sovereign of the seas (1992), RCL Enchantment of the seas (2010), HAL Rotterdam (2014), HAL Maasdam (2015), Celebrity (2017)

The OP clarified after the first post that he could not always find iceberg lettuce or romaine lettuce at the buffet. There was other lettuce always, but not always those two. Meaning spinach, mixed greens, etc. ( I was on this cruise.)

Sometimes one has to think outside the box. I saw people taking the thin minute steaks from the grill at lunch and making paninis, also people taking meat from the carved meat of the day to make sandwiches.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We have been in Aqua several times, most recently on Solstice last September for 10 days. We found more than enough selections for dinner in Blu. We found the food to be excellent. Service was better than great. And if we avoided the prime dining time, we had no problem with crowding. Even though we had the Classic beverage package, we were often served premium wines which were terrific, and we live in California wine country so we are particular.

A big surprise for us was our first time in Silk Harvest. It was so good we ate there twice! We ate in all the specialty restaurants and they were all special. No need to pay extra in Tuscan Grill since there so much to pick from.

We had lettuce and Romaine everyday for lunch in the buffet. Always plenty of dressing available. We have no complaints with the buffet, which is MUCH better than on Princess.

Ice cream was delicious as always.

I can't explain our experience, maybe we lucked out.

I was very interested in reading through this thread as we will be sailing on Eclipse in February. We just returned form a 15 night Panama Canal cruise on Infinity and were quite disappointed in the disorganization of Select Dining in the MDR (we couldn't make a reservation between 6 & 8 PM). We were often given a beeper and had to wait 30-45 minutes for a table. Then we had to wait another 10-15 minutes for a waiter to appear. The menu choices were not what we have enjoyed on previous sailings on Celebrity ships. In 15 Celebrity cruises we have never elected to go to the Oceanview Café for dinner instead of the MDR because none of the menu choices appealed to us. Fish dishes were dry, short ribs were tough, etc. On two evenings chefs were brought around to tables to seek feedback on the food. We shared our concerns.

Can you tell me whether or not you could make reservations for dinner in the MDR between 6 & 8 PM? The website says that you can make reservations in advance, but the page on the website regarding making reservations is currently being revised. We would appreciate your feedback.

Sandie

I was very interested in reading through this thread as we will be sailing on Eclipse in February. We just returned form a 15 night Panama Canal cruise on Infinity and were quite disappointed in the disorganization of Select Dining in the MDR (we couldn't make a reservation between 6 & 8 PM). We were often given a beeper and had to wait 30-45 minutes for a table. Then we had to wait another 10-15 minutes for a waiter to appear. The menu choices were not what we have enjoyed on previous sailings on Celebrity ships. In 15 Celebrity cruises we have never elected to go to the Oceanview Café for dinner instead of the MDR because none of the menu choices appealed to us. Fish dishes were dry, short ribs were tough, etc. On two evenings chefs were brought around to tables to seek feedback on the food. We shared our concerns.

Can you tell me whether or not you could make reservations for dinner in the MDR between 6 & 8 PM? The website says that you can make reservations in advance, but the page on the website regarding making reservations is currently being revised. We would appreciate your feedback.

Sandie

You can call customer service and make your reservations for select dining over the phone.

Thank you for your thoughts. We are sailing on the Eclipse, in Aqua next month. In BLU were you able to order off the MDR, just curious? We have dined in BLU on the Summit and were not offered a MDR menu.Marie

Marie,

When we sailed the Summit in AQ this past August, I was able to request dishes I saw on the MDR menu and they accommodated me although they didn't offer me the menu. They can do it because the MDR & Blu share the same kitchen.

I've heard that they don't do it on the S class ships because there is a great distance between those two kitchens.

We have probably done our last cruise in Blu (Aqua Class). We love the venue and the staff. But the dinner menus leave much to be desired and one can quickly grow tired of repetitive stuff such as osso bucco, short ribs (as both a main and a starter), ravioli with short rib filling, lamb shank (that was just like the short ribs and osso bucco), etc. They did serve prime rib one night, which was less then an inch thick and covered with a brown gravy (yuck). We are certainly not new to Blu, but its now history as we think even the MDR has a better menu.

Having completed 17 cruises in AquaClass and with two more booked, I find that I am tiring of the menus in Blu--I can almost predict their rotation and comparative nightly options--too...

That said I have found that my enthusiasm more often waxes and wanes with the chef/culinary staff rather than with the offerings themselves... During my September/October sailings on Equinox, the food in Blu was impeccable and likely some of the best I've ever experienced on a Celebrity cruise [including that served in the Specialty Restaurants, in Luminae (food is so subjective but--on balance--I personally prefer the Blu menus to those unique to Luminae {which provides the option of ordering from the MDR menu}), and in the main dining rooms themselves]...

For what it's worth--and it has been rumored before--an onboard Food & Beverage Director recently told me that the Blu menus are currently being revamped in response to increasing sentiments such as ours...

We'll see... I remain hopeful!

Edited by Xport

Regarding the Tuscan "add ons" this has been a relatively new thing (mentioned in some other CC threads) and primarily involves "prime" steaks. Its hard to remember the exact details but we are talking about $18+ add on's for a single beef item....on top of the usual Tuscan price. Hank

Hi Hank,

I'm currently on the Equinox and agree with a lot of your comments. I cropped the add on section of Tuscan's menu to post here for you. I blew it up so it is a little blurry.

Tuscan%20Equinox%20Extra%20charge_zpsnbownxhj.jpg

We were on Reflection last month in Blu. I always checked the Blu and MDR menus every day. We were allowed to order items off the MDR menu all the time. On a 15-night TA, some of the Blu menus were very boring. They had better entrees in the MDR, so we ordered them.

Just back from 14 days on the Eclipse (been on this vessel 6 or 7 times) which was, overall, a great cruise. But we do have a few rants (not new issues).

1. The sandwich bar/lunch meats in the Lido buffet. To be kind, the meat selection is near rubbish! If you except roast beef, decent corned beef. pastrami, good turkey, decent salami, Italian meats, etc.. you will be disappointed in a big way. What you get is often "mystery" meats which even baffle the servers (if you ask them what it is). Perhaps it is "Olive Loaf," or some other cheap cut....but most of these meats would be shameful on a real budget line!

2. Salad bars without lettuce or Romaine? It happened on numerous days...not to mention empty salad dressing bottles. And the quality of ice cream in the Lido has really gone downhill in the past couple of years.

3. My final rant has to do with constant annoying loud noise on the pool deck during most afternoons. There is simply no need for the cruise director's staff to do loud play by play for a pool game attended by 4 passengers...while several hundred others are trying to relax, chat, listen to their own music, etc.

4. We have probably done our last cruise in Blu (Aqua Class). We love the venue and the staff. But the dinner menus leave much to be desired and one can quickly grow tired of repetitive stuff such as osso bucco, short ribs (as both a main and a starter), ravioli with short rib filling, lamb shank (that was just like the short ribs and osso bucco), etc. They did serve prime rib one night, which was less then an inch thick and covered with a brown gravy (yuck). We are certainly not new to Blu, but its now history as we think even the MDR has a better menu.

Otherwise it was a great cruise. To end on a positive note we thought Murano was beyond excellent (had 2 dinners and lunch) and Qsine was marvelous as always.

Our advice would be to avoid Aqua Class, book a better located balcony (many Aqua cabins are in a lousy location just under the pool deck with a balcony in a giant shadow). The money you save by not booking Aqua can then be put to better use by enjoying some of the alternative dining venue.

Hank

P.S. The most expensive dining venue is now the mediocre Tuscan Grill...if one partakes of the "add-on" steak options. Think of it. First you pay for your cruise....which includes food. Then you pay extra (up to $50 per person) for better food (which is often about the same quality we saw in MDRs many years ago). And now, they want you to pay additional ala carte add-ons! We expect that Celebrity will soon have a sur charge for metal cutlary (with plastic being the default).

Hank

Hank,

Imagine a green salad without lettuce! I have experienced going through the line or salad bar in the buffet and discovered that a key item was no more. Most of the time, after asking the servers, they responded that "coming." Most of the time the item shows up soon, although standing in line for any length of time is awkward. I remember on one occasion the buffet ran out of muesli, which is what I wanted for breakfast. It seemed to take them 5 minutes to find some and place it at the proper location. It can be frustrating if you need to eat and meet a tour guide.

However, I find these situations to be uncommon. Regarding the choice of lunch meats for a sandwich, I just don't remember that much about what X usually has available. I seem to remember that small sandwiches are already made up with ham and cheese, roast beef and salami, etc. DW and I usually eat salad, soup or pizza for lunch. Although, when the weather is good and the pool deck has a BBQ, we like the turkey burgers.

Hi Hank,

I'm currently on the Equinox and agree with a lot of your comments. I cropped the add on section of Tuscan's menu to post here for you. I blew it up so it is a little blurry.

Tuscan%20Equinox%20Extra%20charge_zpsnbownxhj.jpg

Thanks for posting that info. As a senior, I am elated that my $18 memory was accurate. Folks should consider that if you dine in the Tuscan and pay for one of those add-on mains, you will actually be paying more then a meal in Murano. From my perspective there is no comparison between Murano and the Tuscan other then they are on the same ship. We think that Murano is one of the best alternative restaurants at sea (on any mass market cruise line) while the Tuscan varies between good and awful...depending on the ship, day of the week, etc :). Personally, our prior experience in the Tuscan has been so uneven that we generally avoid the place. On our recent Eclipse cruise we talked to multiple passengers who dined in the Tuscan and heard stories ranging from "excellent" to "inedible with horrible service."

Hank

We have given up on aqua for the same reason...boredom and just not worth the price for breakfasts. We now book 1a on s class and c2 on m class. Tuscan on equinox this week featured terrible service and very average food. We sat for 20 minutes before I finally got up and expressed my feelings to the mailer d.....we finally were able to order drinks....the new menu is frankly uninteresting and the steaks are what you would get at Walmart at home. Mushroom burgundy sauce was tasteless.

Note more small pre prepared sandwiches...just the poor choices pointed out by the op....and no pickles. I haven't found a stir fry to order yet..not sure if they still do it. Overall the all you can eat for $7.95 buffet at home is head and shoulders over he current celebrity buffet.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We have given up on aqua for the same reason...boredom and just not worth the price for breakfasts. We now book 1a on s class and c2 on m class. Tuscan on equinox this week featured terrible service and very average food. We sat for 20 minutes before I finally got up and expressed my feelings to the mailer d.....we finally were able to order drinks....the new menu is frankly uninteresting and the steaks are what you would get at Walmart at home. Mushroom burgundy sauce was tasteless.

Note more small pre prepared sandwiches...just the poor choices pointed out by the op....and no pickles. I haven't found a stir fry to order yet..not sure if they still do it. Overall the all you can eat for $7.95 buffet at home is head and shoulders over he current celebrity buffet.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Ghstudio, you are having a bad cruise based on your posts.

If you are facing AFT the stir fry has always been on the starboard side in the back of the Oceanview.

If it is no better than a $7.95 buffet at home then it has gone down hill very fast as this has never been the case for us. I will find out next month, but I will be on a different S Class ship. This was certainly not the case on the Reflection last month.

Were you able to get your Americano mixe drink with your Classic package? I know you were asking a few months ago.

Might be time for you to stay away from Celebrity for awhile.

By the way I really enjoyed the new Pastas on the Tuscan menu.

I hope you can enjoy some of your cruise experience.

Edited by jagoffee

Thanks for posting that info. As a senior, I am elated that my $18 memory was accurate. Folks should consider that if you dine in the Tuscan and pay for one of those add-on mains, you will actually be paying more then a meal in Murano. From my perspective there is no comparison between Murano and the Tuscan other then they are on the same ship. We think that Murano is one of the best alternative restaurants at sea (on any mass market cruise line) while the Tuscan varies between good and awful...depending on the ship, day of the week, etc :). Personally, our prior experience in the Tuscan has been so uneven that we generally avoid the place. On our recent Eclipse cruise we talked to multiple passengers who dined in the Tuscan and heard stories ranging from "excellent" to "inedible with horrible service."

Hank

Did you try the new Pasta dishes in the Tuscan?

Do you recall if the Standard shows time were 7 and 9?

Thank you in advance and thank you for posting your observations.

In terms of the Tuscan Grill, it was my understanding they may have done away with the up charges. However, even if not, if you don't like the charge...don't buy it. It's very simple.

Not sure where you get that understanding from - they're experimenting with upcharging in the MDR and in the Tuscan Grill there was most definitely upcharging on both the Eclipse in October and Silhouette Transatlantic in November.

Tuscan Grill has seen some incredible inflation busting price rises in the last 4 years $30 to $50 and now with upcharges. I know on a lot of cruises, but not all, people can get "a deal" but if you don't ask and stump up the $50 they'll take your cash without mentioning if you'd asked for a deal they'd have given you one - more like shopping in a Persian bazaar than Modern Luxury.

Not sure where you get that understanding from - they're experimenting with upcharging in the MDR and in the Tuscan Grill there was most definitely upcharging on both the Eclipse in October and Silhouette Transatlantic in November.

Tuscan Grill has seen some incredible inflation busting price rises in the last 4 years $30 to $50 and now with upcharges. I know on a lot of cruises, but not all, people can get "a deal" but if you don't ask and stump up the $50 they'll take your cash without mentioning if you'd asked for a deal they'd have given you one - more like shopping in a Persian bazaar than Modern Luxury.

My response indicated that I wasn't sure about the upcharging being still in effect. My comment is the same. If you don't like the charge, don't buy it. Very simple. Discounts on board are just like everywhere else, driven by demand. The first nights are often empty so steep discounts are offered. Same with port days. This is also true of the spa. This is why stores have sales. :rolleyes:

Why would anyone complain about the things that are upcharged. Don't like it, don't buy it. Want it to be all inclusive, spring for a higher priced line. Compared to what the avearge person has and experiences in life, this is modern luxury. If you don't get that, then you have been very sheltered, privileged, and spoiled.

To the person who wants lettuce just ask. I have always found a large range of hot and cold meat selections for lunch and more salad choices that I could ever want. The rants I think are just that. Someone crying for attention

Sorry,but you are TOTALLY wrong on this. Hank, the OP, is one of the most respected and trusted posters on this board, and has hundreds of days cruising. He's been a long time Celebrity cruiser and knows what's been going on with this cruise line for many months, i.e., major cutbacks.

Hank NEVER, EVER posts for attention and if you had taken the time to read ALL his posts, you'd realize that he's usually right on the money with his experiences.

Instead of calling a respected poster as someone crying for attention, I suggest you just post your opinions of a cruise line instead of being nasty.

My response indicated that I wasn't sure about the upcharging being still in effect. My comment is the same. If you don't like the charge, don't buy it. Very simple. Discounts on board are just like everywhere else, driven by demand. The first nights are often empty so steep discounts are offered. Same with port days. This is also true of the spa. This is why stores have sales. :rolleyes:

I'd rather you didn't make out i'm some idiot with the roll eyes. On what basis are you "unsure" whether the charges apply - is it because haven't seen it with your own eyes?

Yes of course shops have sales that are advertised and open to all, they don't require you to be in the know and ask for a discount - maybe getting a bigger discount than the person in front of you, maybe not.

Edited by DYKWIA

Sorry,but you are TOTALLY wrong on this. Hank, the OP, is one of the most respected and trusted posters on this board, and has hundreds of days cruising. He's been a long time Celebrity cruiser and knows what's been going on with this cruise line for many months, i.e., major cutbacks.

Hank NEVER, EVER posts for attention and if you had taken the time to read ALL his posts, you'd realize that he's usually right on the money with his experiences.

Instead of calling a respected poster as someone crying for attention, I suggest you just post your opinions of a cruise line instead of being nasty.

Agree, Hank is a long time poster that only complains when he really has something to complain about.

Did you try the new Pasta dishes in the Tuscan?

Do you recall if the Standard shows time were 7 and 9?

Thank you in advance and thank you for posting your observations.

We did not dine in the Tuscan (on the most recent cruise), which I did mention in a prior post. But DW recalls that they did have spaghetti and meatballs on the menu...which is kind of crazy given the cost of dining in Tuscan plus the daily availability of that pasta in the Lido :). All the shows on our 14 day cruise were at 7 and 9...with the 9pm show the most crowded. We dine late so always attended the 7pm shows (before dinner) which always had decent seat availability.

Regarding menus, many folks regard the Tuscan as the steakhouse (although they do have many other options). Given the add ons and cost of the Tuscan we would suggest that folks would do better to dine in Murano and enjoy their excellent Chateaubriand (for 2) which does not involve any add-ons.

I think we would be on firm ground saying the Tuscan was the least popular of the main alternative restaurants (Tuscan, Murano and Qsine). Since we were assigned to Blu (when not dining in one of the alternatives) we did glance in Tuscan every night as we went to dinner (normally around 8pm). On most nights the Tuscan was not very crowded...while both Murano and Qsine seemed to do a decent business.

Hank

P.S. Since the issue of our cruise experience has been raised (by others) we would point out that we have been Elite Plus for a few years and have cruised far more then 1,000 days on 14 cruise lines. Celebrity still remains among our 3 favorite mass market lines (Princess and HAL are the other two).

Darcie: Well said. And Hank: You truly are one of the most respected and trusted posters on this board.

I agree 100%! I look to Hank for good advice and have never viewed him as a complainer for the sake of complaining or someone who is seeking attention.