Crow's Nest disappearing as we know it (on HAL ships)

happyglobetrotter

Another Holland America tradition is falling by the wayside. This time the Crow's Nest.

Holland America has announced that the Crow's Nest on Holland America ships is going to be transformed into an Exploration's Centre or EXC which will digitize what was formerly called the On Location program and the Afar Program (announced but never fully implemented). Through the the use of digital computers or iPads in place, guests will able to access all sorts of information on the various destinations to be visited as well as having a digital "virtual bridge" for navigational information. Also there will a series of (human) EXC Guides and "Animateurs" to show you what this is about. It is also to incorporate some of the ongoing activities such as location guides, dance, music, crafts and tai-chi and other exercise programs. More information on this can be found on the Holland America Blog.

This announcement on HAL blog on Dec. 15 was done quietly....

https://www.hollandamericablog.com/2016/12/15/launch-of-explorations-central-onboard-redefines-destination-immersion/

What this all means is unclear but it does mean some physical changes to the old Crow' s Nest. The first ship to have the physical changes will be the Westerdam in April 2017 with the rest of the fleet to follow (except for the Prinsendam). Some of the programming will be done on existing equipment as we speak so we may see some of it on the Amsterdam World Cruise. But I suspect that the whole effect will not be fully done until all the ships have the Koningsdam electronics package (50 inches interactive TVs, digital walls etc.). The full package will probably be best shown with the Nieuw Statendam when it comes out in 2018.

But how this will tie in with other Crow's Nest activities, like Book Libraries in some ships and BB King Blue's Club in others, not to mention the observation lounge and bars and trivia games and Explorations Cafe activities is not clear. It is certainly going to be more crowded up there.

From the photos I can see that perhaps some reasonable seating will still be available, but it looks like the bar will be gone (get coffee from the Explorations Cafe?) and it will be focused on electronics.

Oh, well. Dam.

Edited by SilvertoGold

I believe this is the topic of this thread that the moderators have made into a sticky thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2431974

Sorry, but 'changes to the Crow's Nest' got my attention. The sticky you reference is so generic I have never looked at it. I am glad the OP posted the thread as titled.

Dennis

From the photos I can see that perhaps some reasonable seating will still be available, but it looks like the bar will be gone (get coffee from the Explorations Cafe?) and it will be focused on electronics.

Oh, well. Dam.

If you click on the link provided by the OP and scroll down, you will find the rendering of the bar in this Explorations Central. Looks very much like the bar on Nieuw Amsterdam and Westerdam, just updated.

Sorry, but 'changes to the Crow's Nest' got my attention. The sticky you reference is so generic I have never looked at it. I am glad the OP posted the thread as titled.

Dennis

I suppose you can take it up with the moderator who decided to feature that thread.

I have looked at the renditions and while I am uneasy about them, at one time there were going to be "Retreats" on all the Vista ships. They are only on the Veendam and a revised one on the Rotterdam because of reactions from cruisers.

Until someone really sees what the result is - library gone?, really comfy chairs gone? have to fight to find a seat for a view? no one will know. Time will tell when it happens and we will see what cruisers on board have to say.

I didn't think they would touch the S & R ships, but thankfully we will be on our R ship before it happens and even more thankfully, they are not doing it to the Prinsendam ;) I think they know better than to play with that ship ;)

It could be far worse. RCI converted their Viking Crown Lounge on the Oasis class to a suites only lounge and dining facility.

I experienced what they did on the smaller class.....destroyed a very good observation lounge so that now I am reluctant to sail on them.

I read these announcements but don't really understand what it means. They use all this nebulous blabber. I will have to see it to know if it's a good or bad thing. Parts of it sound like a library, parts a bar, parts a gym....

So these changes could then improve the utilization of what seems like a wonderful space.

Yes its a great place but under used - maybe they could have put a band up there, as there was only the violin/pianist working most nights, until the show started. They had the house band playing on deck 3 some nights, but when they were needed for a show there was nothing else to see. very little happening until the show started

Yes its a great place but under used - maybe they could have put a band up there, as there was only the violin/pianist working most nights, until the show started. They had the house band playing on deck 3 some nights, but when they were needed for a show there was nothing else to see. very little happening until the show started

JMHO, but I believe most like that area because it is a quiet place. I think adding a band would distract from the area.

I must go on the wrong cruises ;).

The Crow's Nest on the Prinsendam has had a number of people in it whenever we were on her. The only time it was empty was around 6:30 a.m.

Westerdam Crow's Nest was quite busy too. Lots going on and people enjoying the views ;)

When we sailed on the Westerdam the Crow's Nest was one of our favorite spots, but primarily in the evening.

We went up there every night around 6:30 for pre-dinner drinks (and trivia!)...ended up with 'usual' seats along with others and with the same bartender all week it became a gathering place for new friends to catch up on the day. We'd return after our evening activities for a nightcap where there was always quite a few people enjoying the DJ and dancing.

We're looking forward to doing the same on the Zuiderdam in March...hope we can still enjoy the space that way.

I must go on the wrong cruises ;).

The Crow's Nest on the Prinsendam has had a number of people in it whenever we were on her. The only time it was empty was around 6:30 a.m.

Westerdam Crow's Nest was quite busy too. Lots going on and people enjoying the views ;)

I have even seen it packed at 4:00 AM (entering the Suez Canal) on the Rotterdam. I think the early morning population depends on the itinerary. Many pax grab coffee and pastry from the Lido when it opens to bring with them to the Crow's Nest to experience cruising into exotic ports, such as Dubai or Jakarta, in the early morning.

If the new set up includes opening the coffee bar earlier, that would certainly increase revenue. I would certainly pay not to lug a mug from the Lido, or run up and down the stairs for refills.

On our recent 2 weeks on the Niew A. the pace was virtually empty all day - except when the happy hour was running.

I find this confusing, as with each of the ships I have been on the Crows Nest has been busy all day. There are often activities throughout the day, plus trivia, happy hour, ship info presentations, and it is often difficult to find seating.

I do, however, miss the "old days" when the Crows Nest was the "happening place" in the evenings, with a band or DJ and dancing.

On our recent 2 weeks on the Niew A. the pace was virtually empty all day - except when the happy hour was running.

That's a shame to read. I fell in love with the CN on Nieuw. It was my first HAL cruise and there was nightly entertainment. It was the place to be at night.

But I saw the steady decline in my mere 3 HAL cruises.

On Zuiderdam, it was mostly unusable due to it constantly being reserved by a group. This really sucked considering it was an Alaskan cruise. But on the nights the group didn't have it, they had a piano entertainer.

Then, on Oosterdam, it was a ghost town at night. No entertainment at all.

That's a shame to read. I fell in love with the CN on Nieuw. It was my first HAL cruise and there was nightly entertainment. It was the place to be at night.

On Zuiderdam, it was mostly unusable due to it constantly being reserved by a group. This really sucked considering it was an Alaskan cruise. But on the nights the group didn't have it, they had a piano entertainer.

On the Koningsdam, the Crows Nest has a bar, but no dance floor and set up area for a band. In the evenings the place was "dead". Great for viewing and relaxing, but nothing like the old Crows Nests.

In ancient history :rolleyes:, back in 1995, the Crow's Nest was wonderful. Back then they had a staff band and the place was always busy. Warm and cold hors d'oeuvres were wheeled around on a cart. There were probably six wait staff and two bartenders and they were busy folks. I can't count the number of times we were in the Crow's Nest until closing. By 2004 they'd gone to a contract band and maybe the hors d'oeuvres cart was gone but it was still a busy and great nightclub like gathering place. By 2012 the band was gone and it was either guitar or piano player before dinner and a disc jockey for after dinner. Today the Crow's Nest is just a name from days gone by and another brick in the wall that drives us further and further away from our once loved cruise line. :(

Edited by Randyk47

As long as you can still enjoy a chair & a view of the ocean or port as you leave or enter. Most of the times when I wanted a chair they where all occupied. Most evenings the Crows Nest was full, don't think I ever went there when it was empty. The piano man was doing requests, there never seemed to be enough room.

Allan