Celebrity Edge bookings open March 13th

CRUISEBOY305

Hi Everyone,

No email for me either. Guess some of us aren't important enough to Celebrity... but I will get over it. We still love the them, and we're sailing again on Eclipse in early April :). If the first Edge sailing is out of South Florida, we will definitely book.

Just as an FYI, Celebrity has created a countdown/landing page. No Edge details yet, but you can sign up for Edge updates. Probably a page to keep an eye on :

http://www.celebritycruises.com/edge

Hope this is helpful !

thanks for the link No email for us either.

If it sails out of Florida we will be on it!

.... I make this BOLD prediction: the Edge will be a semi submersible ship. It will have underwater viewing cabins instead of balconies. ....

Funny! But the promotional teases have mentioned Edge being an environmental step forward. Might it be part of RCCL announced experiment in LNG fuel for some of it's new ships?

With all these ads telling a revolution is coming and change the future of cruising I think I'm set to be disappointed. Looking at the released profile of the Celebrity Edge all I see is a tweeked Solstice class with a huge movie screen in the middle on the top deck. Even RCCL's Quantum ships comes to my mind with the gym on top of the ship at the mast position. I hope I will be surprised though...in a good sense. :D

I wonder if they will use the Loggia concept from Brombach-Gess for the cabin design. I have been reading somewhere that they wana open up the cabin and have a free flowing design where the outside come inside.

Looking forward to the March release from my favourite cruise line!

I have mentioned this a time or two on this forum in the past. A few years ago, at an Elite cocktail party, DH and I were talking with an officer shortly after the announcement was made that Celebrity would be building a new class of ship. I distinctly remember the officer telling us that the new class would have a different and faster means of getting passengers to shore instead of tendering. Of course, I had images of some type of "chute" (like the banks use to send payment from the car to the teller windows :D) that would send the passengers ashore.

In reality, I am betting that instead of tenders, the ship will carry several Hydrofoils to transport passengers. Some can carry as many as 150 passengers and at a high rate of speed.

quote=Iamthesea;52395870]I have mentioned this a time or two on this forum in the past. A few years ago, at an Elite cocktail party, DH and I were talking with an officer shortly after the announcement was made that Celebrity would be building a new class of ship. I distinctly remember the officer telling us that the new class would have a different and faster means of getting passengers to shore instead of tendering. Of course, I had images of some type of "chute" (like the banks use to send payment from the car to the teller windows :D) that would send the passengers ashore.

In reality, I am betting that instead of tenders, the ship will carry several Hydrofoils to transport passengers. Some can carry as many as 150 passengers and at a high rate of speed.

Perhaps a catapult? That would explain part of the topside profile in the steel cutting photo. :')

video-undefined-20E4FCDD00000578-996_636x358.jpg

Or maybe we could go into the big future and a group can be told to go to a liftoff pad and as they said years ago,

"BEAM US UP SCOTTY".......and taaa daaa........you would be from ship to shore in seconds:D

quote=Iamthesea;52395870]I have mentioned this a time or two on this forum in the past. A few years ago, at an Elite cocktail party, DH and I were talking with an officer shortly after the announcement was made that Celebrity would be building a new class of ship. I distinctly remember the officer telling us that the new class would have a different and faster means of getting passengers to shore instead of tendering. Of course, I had images of some type of "chute" (like the banks use to send payment from the car to the teller windows :D) that would send the passengers ashore.

Perhaps a catapult? That would explain part of the topside profile in the steel cutting photo. :')

video-undefined-20E4FCDD00000578-996_636x358.jpg

I hope it's motorized wheel chair compatible unlike the tenders.

I believe this will be the case. I have also heard a rumour that for a fee, top end suites will be able to catapult undesirable types in steerage class that they come across into the sea on sea days.

Not what I was told by the captain during a private party in his stateroom. He said they were going to use drone technology to transfer people off and on the ship at tender ports. He even showed me a photo he took during testing on his ship.

Drone%20taxi.jpg

Never got the email. I am elite plus. Just off Eclipse 2 weeks ago and there was no mention about the Edge ships. With the Eclipse in South America , there are fewer berths available for booking. When I tried to rebook the Eclipse for next January, there was very few cabins available. I booked the Silhouette instead. That sailing filled up quickly too.

Never got the email. I am elite plus. Just off Eclipse 2 weeks ago and there was no mention about the Edge ships. With the Eclipse in South America , there are fewer berths available for booking. When I tried to rebook the Eclipse for next January, there was very few cabins available. I booked the Silhouette instead. That sailing filled up quickly too.

I pressed a few staff about Edge, our Butler, future cruise sales staff and a couple of ships officers. In all honesty I got the impression that they knew about us much about Edge as the people posting on this thread.

I believe this will be the case. I have also heard a rumour that for a fee, top end suites will be able to catapult undesirable types in steerage class that they come across into the sea on sea days.

But will there be at least one day where the steerage class can catapult some of the more arrogant suite types. I shouldn't say that because I'm in a suite on my next cruise for the first time in years.

I pressed a few staff about Edge, our Butler, future cruise sales staff and a couple of ships officers. In all honesty I got the impression that they knew about us much about Edge as the people posting on this thread.

I agree, that has always been the way Celebrity worked, kept everything tight to the vest right until the last moment.

The e -mail was just an ad...no inside info, or previews & nothing special offered to Cap Club Members for early booking etc...

Cap Club seems not as important as it once was in the marketing efforts...suites get most of the attention...& at those prices I get it!

Yes, we are curious but we can wait to rush into a booking...unless incentives are offered to do so.

But will there be at least one day where the steerage class can catapult some of the more arrogant suite types. I shouldn't say that because I'm in a suite on my next cruise for the first time in years.

Zeniths will be able to select a sky suite guest. Those in CS or above are protected sadly, no matter how arrogant or obnoxious they may be Then once again at every additional 1000 points.

Where is that photographer Andrae that loved taking photos of Soltics class ships under construction?

I don't know. But E class ships are being built in France by STX instead of in Germany where there appears to be no webcam so this may have a bearing.

• 2 weeks later...
That would be nice. I am looking forward to Monday to see what Edge is all about. I jumped into the Symphony of the Seas frenzy and have booked the Inaugural on her. So now to snag a good sailing on Edge. I am going to try to get the US Inaugural on Edge.

I booked the inaugural too :D

I booked the inaugural too :D

The one out of Barcelona on April 21st? I cannot wait to start a roll call - but Symphony is not yet listed in CC.

For Edge, I am hoping to get the Inaugural from the US as long as the price is not too outrageous.

SaveSave

The one out of Barcelona on April 21st? I cannot wait to start a roll call - but Symphony is not yet listed in CC.

For Edge, I am hoping to get the Inaugural from the US as long as the price is not too outrageous.

SaveSave

Yep, the 21st. Big birthday for hubby on the 24th. He's looking forward to the water slides :D