Annoying fellow Passengers

pmattor200

DH and I always had a pvt joke on spotting "wife beater" hairy armpit tee shirts in the buffet on embark.....Never seen on X but more prevalent on another line we sometimes cruise...no, not Carnival!

Guess joke not funny anymore.....oh well...

Just got off the Reflection and some of the passengers were extremely rude and annoying. We had a Smoker using his balcony to smoke and continued to do so even after he was confronted by the ships staff. Our friends also had this problem on the opposite side of the ship. A women smoking at the pool and ignoring the pool staff until security made her move. Kids jumping into the pool and splashing everyone even after the mother told them several times to stop (not Family pool). Someone stole my friends book off her pool lounge. Drunk in the theater messing with my suit jacket that I had over the back of my chair in the theater. I hope this was just because we went later in the year than normal. We will probably go back to late January or February next year and hope to have the more pleasant experiences we are used to with Celebrity.

:confused:

A little common courtesy would be nice.

People without ambulatory/health issues on an elevator really should step off & take the stairs to make room for a wheelchair/scooter passenger.

Some passengers have a choice, those with mobility issues do not.

Can you tell at a glance who is able to walk easily up the stairs? Do you really expect passengers who boarded an elevator to get off because someone in a wheelchair needs to get on?

Yes, there is an issue with people rushing past WC and scooter users, but your comment suggests that only WC and scooter users should take the steps. Someone with asthma, COPD, and much more need to use an elevator.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

I feel the above response is purely argumentative - the post in question clearly suggests "people without ambulatory/health issues" could take the stairs. If I'm to be completely honest, I could do with a bit more calorie-burning flights of stairs during a cruise!

I struggle with why people on the CC boards offer caustic or incendiary comments. How is it that a website related to a cruise VACATION can make people so cranky??

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I struggle with why people on the CC boards offer caustic or incendiary comments. How is it that a website related to a cruise VACATION can make people so cranky??

I believe it applies to nearly every cruise forum, and in fact any type of forum. I visit forums catering for my hobbies, and again see similar confrontational posts.

People without ambulatory/health issues on an elevator really should step off & take the stairs to make room for a wheelchair/scooter passenger.

Sorry it is my vacation too, I am not taking the stairs for 6 flights because someone wants to get on in a scooter. I will try to make room for them but I am not about to get off and hike it up 6 floors 3 times daily.

Is it new news that somebody is going to annoy someone else while on a cruise, any cruise?

C'mon, you’re on a small piece of real estate with 4,000 of your closest friends. Heck at least one of those 4,000 is going to annoy you! When our families get together for Thanksgiving or Christmas more than one of the 25 is guaranteed to annoy me. :mad: And they are only at my house for 3 or 4 hours!

So you should feel lucky that 200 or 300 out of those 4,000 new freinds don't end up annoying you on a seven day cruise.

Pssst. I guarantee that you are going to annoy at least one of your 4,000 new friends on your cruise also.;)

I know I will.:D

Perhaps,sadly you're correct, but I refuse to give up on the innate goodness in people just yet.

You are correct that when I sail Oceania, Azamara and riverboats, I have significantly lessen my odds for brutish behavior - and indeed that has been the case.

I think we can reasonably expect those around us to demonstrate a bit of thoughtful consideration.

We often come on these boards to complain if we feel the staff isn't smiling and welcoming - why would we expect less from our fellow passengers? I am convinced that if that becomes the expectation, we can do at least as well as the hard-working staff.

In the end, alI can control is me, so I will continue to act in a way that respects others and practice patience if it's not reciprocated. Heading off in just over a week - wish me luck!

Having traveled with someone using a scooter, I think it's more obliviousness than outright rudeness. It takes a few seconds for the person in a wheelchair or scooter to get going and people are really just looking at the open door. Most helpful if there is a companion to get to the open door and indicate to others that the person in the mobility device is on their way. It happens just as often with able-bodied people who arrive first. Countless times have I been the one to push the button and have a group pop around the corner when the doors open and squeeze in front of the crowd. It's the nature of having so many people in a shared space combined with not considering who else may already be there.

I have as much right to space on an elevator as someone who is in a scooter. I am certainly not going to push ahead of someone w a scooter but I am also not going to get off if I am already on.

DON

This issue falls under the category "there but for the grace of God go I." Perhaps a bit of understanding and compassion would help. May I tell you what it is like from the perspective of the wife of a double amputee?

If you walk in front of an able bodied person he/she is likely to stop in their track to avoid bumping into you. On the other hand, you wouldn't step in front of a moving car because you know it can't stop quickly and would likely hit you. A person in a moving scooter can't stop quickly but there are many times when people will cut in front without warning risking an accident, then get annoyed that the scooter almost hit them.

It is a similar situation when I push my husband in a wheelchair. Many don't realize that the leg rests stick out and I am so aware that I could whack someone in the leg when they cut in front. Secondly, it takes some upper body strength to push on a carpeted floor. Much as I don't want to admit it, I am no longer a spring chicken. If I stop short to avoid hitting someone, it takes even more effort to start up again.

Re the elevator issue: we will no longer sail on Silly because there is only one bank of elevators. There were times when we were stuck on a floor because the elevators that stopped were always too full to fit the scooter or even a wheelchair. Stair are not an option open to us.

Reading these boards I am aware that some are annoyed with scooters on ships. My husband didn't elect to be a double amputee and to look at him in long pants you likely wouldn't know he has no legs or why he is in a scooter. Life events sometimes happen and when we were young we never conceived we would be in this situation.

Thank you to those who read this far.

We enjoy cruising and at this point it is the only travel option that allows a double amputee a sense of freedom and a degree of independence.

This issue falls under the category "there but for the grace of God go I." Perhaps a bit of understanding and compassion would help. May I tell you what it is like from the perspective of the wife of a double amputee?

If you walk in front of an able bodied person he/she is likely to stop in their track to avoid bumping into you. On the other hand, you wouldn't step in front of a moving car because you know it can't stop quickly and would likely hit you. A person in a moving scooter can't stop quickly but there are many times when people will cut in front without warning risking an accident, then get annoyed that the scooter almost hit them.

It is a similar situation when I push my husband in a wheelchair. Many don't realize that the leg rests stick out and I am so aware that I could whack someone in the leg when they cut in front. Secondly, it takes some upper body strength to push on a carpeted floor. Much as I don't want to admit it, I am no longer a spring chicken. If I stop short to avoid hitting someone, it takes even more effort to start up again.

Re the elevator issue: we will no longer sail on Silly because there is only one bank of elevators. There were times when we were stuck on a floor because the elevators that stopped were always too full to fit the scooter or even a wheelchair. Stair are not an option open to us.

Reading these boards I am aware that some are annoyed with scooters on ships. My husband didn't elect to be a double amputee and to look at him in long pants you likely wouldn't know he has no legs or why he is in a scooter. Life events sometimes happen and when we were young we never conceived we would be in this situation.

Thank you to those who read this far.

We enjoy cruising and at this point it is the only travel option that allows a double amputee a sense of freedom and a degree of independence.

Personably, I'd like to have tire slashers on a wheelchair(like the ones in the James Bond "Gold Finger" movie)I'm sure that would give pause to those clods who just can't wait to hop on the elevator!

I have never met anyone who would, given the choice, prefer to use a wheelchair, scooter, cane, crutches, or walker. Some people are invisibly disabled. I wouldn't begrudge anyone from using the elevator. I wouldn't insist anyone use the stairs. All anyone needs to do is be kind and considerate of one another.

That means not rushing to the detriment of others. I don't care where you are going or how late you are... there is no defensible excuse. That means refraining from making exasperated and disgusted looks, rolling your eyes, smirking at the person next to you, yelling there's no room (when there is) or muttering under your breath... there is no defensible excuse for that. That means no pushing, shoving, rushing ahead or blocking the way....there is no defensible excuse for that.

Some people are not rude, they are just oblivious. It annoys me, and on occasion I say something, especially when someone else is the butt of the offending behavior. Some people are rude, obnoxious, selfish, self-important *******es and bullies...and they should be calmly and intelligently confronted and made to feel like the small and insignificant people they are.

On the other hand, those that are disabled and feel this makes them more important than anyone else, or that they should always be given preference when it is unnecessary...you are just as guilty and there is no defensible excuse for that.

I don't think my husband has ever felt that his disability makes him more important than others or that he should be given preference over others. On the contrary, I think he often feels very self conscious and vulnerable. There have been times when we have gotten to the MDR early so we could be one of the first in. This is so that he would have a clearer path to the table in his scooter and have an easier time squeezing through tight spaces without having to make people move their chairs. He is able to walk very short distances but is very unsteady. The addition of Luninae and MC, smaller, more open venues, has made mauvering around much easier.

Spring Break, we have found from experience begins mid March, and we have sailed a number of times during this period, in fact we have just got back from our 11 nights on the Equinox, and have never had an issue, and that includes sailing with Carnival

Hotels in Miami and Fort Lauderdale pre cruise are a different story. Its party central.

Spring Break for Miami and Ft. Lauderdale is April 10-14. Next year it will be March 26-30 2018.

We did a B2B on Navigator of the Seas.... While watching for pier runners in Cozumel, a man told me that a huge number of RCCL passengers were in the line to get on the Disney Wonder! OK folks, I have news for you. If you came on a white ship, chances are they didn't paint it black while at dock.

This one made me laugh. And reminded me to note the ship color when boarding!

Agree. Well said.

Just so you know, there are elevators forward and aft, not just one.

Enjoy your future cruises!

Thanks for the heads up that there is more than one bank of elevators. I was only aware of the elevators in the middle of the ship. I just checked the deck plan for Silly and There is a also a small bank of elevators near the front of the ship.

Our experience debarking was horrible as there is absolutely no help for the disabled on the last morning. My husband rented a scooter and since this was a first cruise after his amputation we did not bring our own wheelchair. The scooter company told us to leave the scooter in the room. When we tried to confirm on the ship the procedure for the last day we were told to take the scooter to Michaels Club and we would be given a wheelchair and a pusher there for disembarkation. WRONG instructions. First, it was impossible to get an elevator----we waited and waited burn there was no room on any that stopped. No one answers the phone on that last morning. I finally walked to Michaels and it was vacant... This was at least five years ago so before the current suite procedure. I then went to the front desk and was literally dismissed and told the that waiting area for those who needed a wheelchair was at the bar on that deck. Yeah, how was I to get my husband there??? I was close to tears as no one was available to help. Obviously we finally got off the ship but the lesson I learned was to never, ever, travel without our own wheelchair.

Wow, that was cathartic to get that out. :o

Our last cruise, we didn't need a wheelchair on the ship, but we did need one for embarkation and debarkation. So, I learned this from experience. Next time allow your husband to use the scooter to go to the waiting area for wheel chairs and people that need assistance. This generally is a small bar area. There will be wheelchairs there at the ready. The concierge will be able to tell you where it is the night before. Also, if you write it on your disembarkation papers, you will receive the time and instructions about where the night before. Then you can leave the scooter there for pick-up OR you can drive it back to the cabin and then walk back to meet your spouse. Then you will get a "pusher" and they will take you all the way through customs to collect your luggage and then out to either the parking lot or your transportation. You don't need to bring your own wheelchair on board if you have made alternate arrangements for a scooter on board.