Husband says my suitcase is too small

zitsky

First World problem. I bought a small suitcase that would fit almost anywhere. He says it's too small for our 11 day cruise on Viking. I disagree. Anyone else have this problem? LOL

:) :) :)

First World problem. I bought a small suitcase that would fit almost anywhere. He says it's too small for our 11 day cruise on Viking. I disagree. Anyone else have this problem? LOL

Tell him there's laundry service on the ship and you're not worried [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We have no status on airlines. Sad face. We will probably board last. I just know Delta is going to ask us to gate check our bags. LOL

Edited by zitsky

We stopped traveling with her suitcase and my suitcase years ago. We cross pack into our suitcases and it is really handy when one gets mis-routed. We're good for half the trip, and by then, the bag catches up.

We stopped traveling with her suitcase and my suitcase years ago. We cross pack into our suitcases and it is really handy when one gets mis-routed. We're good for half the trip, and by then, the bag catches up.

That's a great idea, thank you.

You can always do a trial pack, see if everything you intend to take fits. We are planning on just using carry on bags. One advantage of being Canadian is our government will be passing a new law giving the passenger rights over being bumped. Hopefully it will be passed before we go.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We don't have that problem. You may just have to show him that your stuff will all fit so he won't worry about you using his suitcase.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

There are a number of ways of putting extra stuff into a suitcase. (As long as the suitcase is small, you will not have issues of overweight luggage.) There are compression bags that allow you to put things in, and push the air out. It makes things pack much more closely together. To me, the biggest issue is usually shoes. That by itself is enough to make me go for a medium sized (generally 25") suitcase rather than a carry-on size.

We thought we were doing good with a change of clothes in our carry-on.

It just took 4 days for my wife's suitcase to catch up to us in Scotland. She didn't look bad in my shirts ;).

So yes, very good suggestion.

I actually teach a packing class twice a year and firmly believe you can go on any trip with one carryon size piece of luggage per person, plus one personal bag (purse for women, backpack for men). The basic premise is 3 colors that coordinate, clothes that mix and match, a couple of scarves to accessorize, and limiting the shoes; several other helpful tips too, but that's the basics. I have made many converts to this system. It can be done, you will be fine, and you'll enjoy the freedom of not being bogged down with so much stuff. Most helpful thing to pack anyway is your positive attitude and sense of adventure!

I actually teach a packing class twice a year and firmly believe you can go on any trip with one carryon size piece of luggage per person, plus one personal bag (purse for women, backpack for men). The basic premise is 3 colors that coordinate, clothes that mix and match, a couple of scarves to accessorize, and limiting the shoes; several other helpful tips too, but that's the basics. I have made many converts to this system. It can be done, you will be fine, and you'll enjoy the freedom of not being bogged down with so much stuff. Most helpful thing to pack anyway is your positive attitude and sense of adventure!

Nice post, terry&mike!

That's what we've been doing for the past few years. We did 2 weeks in India, and recently 9 days in Europe, with one 21-22" carry-on bag each. It's so much nicer to not have to be shackled to large bags. We can take trains and Metro trips with our luggage. We can walk to our hotels. It really works!

Sometimes we need to upsize one of the bags, if we're on Silversea and need formal wear. But even then, I've sometimes been able to add a tux and an evening gown into the small bags without upsizing.

The key (l agree) is to use limited color schemes so that everything coordinates. That limits the shoes that are required. I wear one pair and bring at most one more. On short 3-4 day trips l only bring one pair. Chris' shoes are smaller so she can wear her walking shoes and pack a few pairs of flats.

Note that this scheme is easier of the weather is warm. For us, it can be more challenging if there's cold weather in store at your destination. The key here is layering, and to remember that nobody will see or notice if your base layer stays the same for a few days...it will be covered up.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

Note that this scheme is easier of the weather is warm. For us, it can be more challenging if there's cold weather in store at your destination.

Funny, the opposite is true for me - I am able to pack lighter (and fewer shoes) for cold weather. I have more experience at it (we tend to prefer Europe Nov-Jan) but I generally feel most people just see my coat, so I bring lovely scarves and if I wear the same 2 sweaters and 2 prs pants or one merino dress underneath all week (changing out/washing base layers) who will notice??

Good point. I think the issue from my POV is that cold weather clothing is bulkier, so it takes up more space. I can cram many lighter summer pants and light shirts in a suitcase. But jeans and sweaters take up a lot of space.

Packing for two climates is the worst. We went from late fall in Paris to extreme heat in Egypt in the same trip. Still packed our standard pair of 20" rollaboards, with our pair of small personal bags that sit on top, plus my purse. If we need to pack heavy, we can always unzip the extension which provides added room, and check the two wheeled bags.

Oh, and I always cross-pack, and in fact if we do check a bag, I try to make sure our carry-ons have at least a change of clothing for both of us.

Good point. I think the issue from my POV is that cold weather clothing is bulkier, so it takes up more space. I can cram many lighter summer pants and light shirts in a suitcase. But jeans and sweaters take up a lot of space.

Instead of sweaters and jeans for winter travel, I bring silk long underwear (top and bottom), leggings and tunics to wear over them, then the coat I wear on top of it all. Saves a ton of room in the bags and it's much lighter to carry. I wear the coat on the plane. If it's going to be really cold, I wear my knee high Manitobah mukluks, too. Between those boots and the long coat, jeans are not needed at all, even in the worst freezing snow, wind, rain and ice conditions. Then I bring one other pair of black flat shoes that can also go with the leggings.

We also cross-pack. We have so far, never lost a suitcase, but it's good to have peace of mind.

[quote name=

Sometimes we need to upsize one of the bags' date=' if we're on Silversea and need formal wear. But even then, I've sometimes been able to add a tux and an evening gown into the small bags without upsizing.

[/quote]

Nice to know JP can pack his tux and his evening gown into a small bag 😄

Wow what's packing light? Sorry no can do it takes me four weeks at least to work out what to take what to pair. Plus there's not to much time to shop on a river cruise although I did find a lovely outfit in the south of France. I do admire you though I just can't do it. Happy cruising and packing CA

Yeah, I don't travel with jeans. I rarely wear them at home so it doesn't make sense for me to travel with them. Black pants are more flexible (in terms of dressing up/down) and I like fabrics that dry more quickly too - if jeans get wet in the rain or I need to do laundry, they're not going to dry overnight. But my eileen Fisher ponte pants will :hearteyes: And I usually bring merino or cashmere sweaters (depending on forecast) NOT a heavy sweater. More light layers, less bulk - that's my motto :halo:

Nice to know JP can pack his tux and his evening gown into a small bag 😄

Gotta cover all of your bases! [emoji6]

A kilt would do double-duty [although if windy it might not cover your base ;)]

Lots of good idea thanks. I agree that shoes are a pain to pack and take up too much space. I just might bring a suitcase one size larger and just take the chance that it gets gate checked. That's not so bad.

You should know your aircraft type and the airline size requirements ahead of time...

If your stuff fits in the smaller bag, take it! Easier to manage. I travel with a nylon duffel packed in case I go shopping (usually dirty clothing comes home in the duffel and souvenirs go in the carry-on because it has more structure).

I guess I'm not really sure of the reason for this post in the first place. Are you asking for packing help? Venting about your husband and your differences in packing?

Everyone packs differently, so if you want specific advice, you can find it. But what are you looking for, OP?

You should know your aircraft type and the airline size requirements ahead of time...

If your stuff fits in the smaller bag, take it! Easier to manage. I travel with a nylon duffel packed in case I go shopping (usually dirty clothing comes home in the duffel and souvenirs go in the carry-on because it has more structure).

I guess I'm not really sure of the reason for this post in the first place. Are you asking for packing help? Venting about your husband and your differences in packing?

Everyone packs differently, so if you want specific advice, you can find it. But what are you looking for, OP?

I'm looking for info about how people pack. And I'm getting it, so thread has been useful.

I do check airplane maps etc. This time we're likely to board last and may end up gate checking.