What Is Your Favorite Cruise Line and Why?

CEEJ53

We have only sailed on one cruise line we did't care for and have sailed many.

For us at our stage of our lives we prefer Crystal Cruises.

Why? Because we want a luxury cruising experience.

If you asked me twenty years ago it was Celebrity.

It's not because the cruise lines have changed (the have) but also we have changed.

Keith

Only been on one we weren't impressed with.

Really like Princess, not sure if that's just because it's where we started but it feels like home.

Very happy with Celebrity, in fact a few things we'd love to see Princess adopt.

Cunard ships are really nice but only one cruise so far, so not ready to bump them up the list yet.

Friends want us to try Silverseas and Azamara with them, but very few Sydney to Sydney cruises and Mrs Gut isn't allowed to fly (and Silverseas $$$.....?????).

Royal Caribbean... Lots of trivia, scavenger hunts, parades, name that tune (always plenty to do). Especially love playing The Quest. Plus, the big ships mean more people on the dance floor!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

When it is just the two of us, Celebrity all the way.....when the kids join in the fun, Carnival is spot on. However, almost any cruise can be a great cruise if you let it be one, especially in the middle of a frigid cold snow ladened prairie winter.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We really love Royal Caribbean. Terrific ships, lots of trivia, great cabins especially the Spa Junior Suites and on board perks like private restaurant Coastal Kitchen.

Food is delicious, we love Anthem of the Seas which cruises about 20 minutes from our home.

Also, partial to Cunard and Princess.

Jonathan

So far it's a tie between Princess and Celebrity, although we tend to cruise on Princess more as they are in our region all year round.

My ideal cruise ship would be the best parts of both lines.

I used to like Princess very much, having cruised with them such a long time (dating back to Sitmar in the 1970s....). But our cruise over New Year's on the Regal Princess convinced us that Princess is no longer the line for us and confirmed that I don't really enjoy the larger ships.

My favorite line when sailing alone (90% of the time) is Voyages to Antiquity -- their one ship is about 350 passengers max. Why? Several reasons:

-- Good solo pricing

-- Small ship

-- Great lecturers and itineraries

-- More inclusive than the mass market lines (gratuities and beer/wine with dinner, etc.)

If I sail with my son (less often), we both like Celebrity and probably would choose that line.

Holland America - their ships look and feel like ships - which sets them apart from much of their competition.

Their entertainment is somewhat lacking , which is unfortunate - but at least there isn't the damn blaring music on deck which plagues some other lines.

Their MDR food is not that great - but is on a par with that of their competition.

Their staff provide superior service - seemingly happily.

While the average age of fellow passengers might be higher than the ideal - at least they are willing to make dinners pleasant - by being able to conduct intelligent conversations and being willing to make just a bit of effort to wear grown up clothes; and the fact that traditional assigned dining is available a kind of social interaction exists which is not available elsewhere.

Finally, they go places I like to go, while charging fares which permit me to do other things - as well as cruise.

Regent, quality all the way

You get what you pay for, no extras

May appear more expensive but after everything else is paid, it's not ..

There is no nickel and dime culture. Last year 22days B2B, no bill at the end, no extra gratuities and 23 excursions all in. Plus an amazing cabin, balcony, as much as you could drink, open dining, speciality restaurants . Pleasant mid sized ship, no queues, quality all the way. You can fully budget in advance, no end of cruise shock!!

Princess ... but we still like to "sleep around" from time to time. :D

HAL is also good for Alaska.

Carnival sails out of Charleston (very convenient for us) so always a consideration for an EXTRA cruise when we can find a 7 day.

RCCL depends on the class of ship.

Celebrity ... no so fond of any more because we've had some great Celebrity cruises.

Cunard. Excellent entertainment on sea days. Traditional evening elegance. Ship decor with class rather than glitz. Pleasant cordial fellow passengers. Traditional fixed dining room seating that provides dining company for solos. Staff that treats passengers like grownups who don't need constant announcements. Only active ocean liner in the world.

What ever one I am on. To me it's a cruise and I love being on the ocean, any line any time. :cool:

Right, whatever cruise line we are on, that is the favorite at the moment. So last summer, it was Carnival. In 2018 (we are doing a land vacation this year), it will be Holland America.

Having said that, I do have to admit my two favorite cruises were both on Princess, a Baltic for our 30th anniversary and a British Isles on the since sold Ocean Princess on which we spent our anniversary on an overnight in Edinburgh.

We have been blessed to have cruises on 14 cruise lines (more then 60 different ships) over more than forty years. We have never bought into the "loyalty" thing...since cruise lines and the industry are always changing (and so are we). In the 60s and early 70s..NCL was our favorite line...but we have not been on that line for over twenty years (since they go rid of the Norway). We used to love RCCL (now RCI) but now avoid that line like the plague (we suggested they name of the Oasis of the Seas the "Plague of the Seas").

So here is my point. The lines are always changing as so are the passengers. Even in our late 60s we are not too old to change horses...and do so on a regular basis. When a line we like decides to undergo a major change (Celebrity is in the process of changing....and not for the better) we simply look elsewhere. There are also other considerations. When we were younger we preferred cruises that were in the 7-10 day range. Now, we look for cruises that are far longer then a month in length.

Hank

carnival for entertainment we just aren't old enough to appreciate Princess,but since travel is my job I will eventually work my way around to them all. Although river cruising is pricey up front you can't beat the luxury and excursions included. You will find that the experience is often more about the quality of staff on the ship.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My favorite changes about every 5 years or so. Currently it's Celebrity. It's an upgraded experience, especially Solstice Class, without the smugness of Oceania (their passengers) or higher.

Ouch! (for those Oceania passengers). As to Celebrity, that line has been changing very fast (in the past 2-3 years) and is now just a shadow of what it was in years past..

Hank

Of the lines I've sailed, I'd currently rank them:

1. Royal Caribbean

2. Celebrity

3. Princess and HAL (tied)

4. NCL

5. Carnival

Royal Caribbean currently tops my list because no one can touch their entertainment or ship designs. The people, mostly families with kids, are starting to get on my nerves though. Celebrity is a really nice experience, but a little lacking in entertainment.

I tied Princess and HAL because I see them as a trade-off. Princess has good entertainment, but crowded ships. HAL has nice designs and no crowds, but their entertainment is the worst at sea.

NCL is ok, but I only like their new ships (Breakaway and newer). My cruises on their older ships (Dawn and Sky) have been my worst cruises.

Carnival is just, well, Carnival. Bargain basement entry cruise. It's fun, but the passengers can be really bothersome.