Wearing dress shorts in MDR on Adventure of the Seas

I wore shorts to the MDR once. We were late coming back from an excursion in Cozumel and my DW and DD were already seated and had been waiting for 25 minutes. I decided to just "rough it" in my khaki cargoes and golf shirt. I did take my hat off though. I didn't really give it a thought and got no dirty looks. I think it is so commonplace on cruise ships that "that ship has sailed" (pun intended).

Here is my opinion since I know you are all waiting with baited breath (what does that even mean?). As mentioned by someone before I, personally, do not notice or pay attention to any of the other people in the place. Sure I may get a glance and have seen a few overly casual outfits but I have been fortunate that my company and the food have way overshadowed any annoyances.

That being said, other than my aforementioned faux pas, I have always wore slacks and a collared shirt to the MDR. On formal nights I either sport a tie or jacket (rarely both). Why do I do this if I don't care? Just like at work I think the way you dress impacts the way you feel. At work, they have recently began to allow shorts to be worn if you aren't exposed to customers (a ploy to keep the millennials happy?) . I have never partaken in this benefit because I would not feel professional in such a get up. Likewise, on a cruise ship in the MDR (or specialty) I like to feel like the meal is special and dressing a little nicer makes me feel like it is an event.

Others may feel like the MDR is for relaxing and getting a good meal so more comfortable attire suits them. More power to them as what they wear will have a minuscule impact on me or my enjoyment. Now if they smelled badly and they were at the table next to me that is a different story but that has yet to happen.

I am an avid hiker and frequent a few hiking forums. Many on those forums think everyone should hike the way they hike (I mean it is just walking in the woods, right?). It has created a phrase often used called HYOH (hike your own hike). This is the mentality I take to cruising. Cruise your own cruise.

Why in the hell would I ever pack a suit/long pants for a cruise to hot tropical destinations!?!? Never have never will.

If you've got a problem with khaki shorts and a decent shirt, then it's exactly that. Your problem.

I've always worn khaki shorts, to the MDR and even Chops and Giovanni's. No one has ever said a word

HELL, I thought all the bogans wearing shorts in the MDR was exclusive to Australian cruises. I guess not.

Well, I had to google that one.:o:D

bogan1

ˈbəʊɡ(ə)n/

nounAustralian/NZinformalderogatory

noun: bogan; plural noun: bogans

1. an uncouth or unsophisticated person regarded as being of low social status.
    "some bogans yelled at us from their cars"

We personally don't care what others wear to the MDR, but DH and I do dress up on formal nights and wear appropriate attire the other nights if not a little "over dressed." We don't get the opportunity to dress up very often, so it's nice for me to see him in a suit and I would hope he likes seeing me in a nice dress. It's just how we like to cruise. If you want to wear shorts, go for it. It's not effecting our dinner or experiences in any way.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We personally don't care what others wear to the MDR, but DH and I do dress up on formal nights and wear appropriate attire the other nights if not a little "over dressed." We don't get the opportunity to dress up very often, so it's nice for me to see him in a suit and I would hope he likes seeing me in a nice dress. It's just how we like to cruise. If you want to wear shorts, go for it. It's not effecting our dinner or experiences in any way.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

And this is how it's done! Enjoy your cruise!

Some things in life, I am always amused by. One is when so many people say, wear what you want, it doesn't bother me, I don't notice. Most people judge people. You do it everyday. When you meat someone, you make judgement. You notice what they are wearing, if they put too much perfume on, do they have a spot on their shirt from lunch, and a huge amount of other things. We all do it, every day we notice things out of the normal. We are humans, and we judge.

Someone wearing shorts, will make the judgement or observation that someone else is wearing them also, and than most likely report that they saw a ton of people wearing them, when in fact, they closed their eyes to the majority, and only report what they want to see.

I go to work, and at times, someone would be given a polite talk to what should be worn and not worn. Like they are wearing something that can easily be "justified" because it is a gray area and in their mind it was justified. But yet, it wasn't by others.

Shirts in the MDR. The dress code says no. So you will have a minority of people that will think that No, means OK, because someone else did it. It's something kids always say, and parents always say, if they jumped off the bridge, would you in response?

Big boys and girls are expected to dress and behave as such, and just because someone else got away with it, does not mean you should blindly follow.

Some things in life, I am always amused by. One is when so many people say, wear what you want, it doesn't bother me, I don't notice. Most people judge people. You do it everyday. When you meat someone, you make judgement. You notice what they are wearing, if they put too much perfume on, do they have a spot on their shirt from lunch, and a huge amount of other things. We all do it, every day we notice things out of the normal. We are humans, and we judge.

Someone wearing shorts, will make the judgement or observation that someone else is wearing them also, and than most likely report that they saw a ton of people wearing them, when in fact, they closed their eyes to the majority, and only report what they want to see.

I go to work, and at times, someone would be given a polite talk to what should be worn and not worn. Like they are wearing something that can easily be "justified" because it is a gray area and in their mind it was justified. But yet, it wasn't by others.

Shirts in the MDR. The dress code says no. So you will have a minority of people that will think that No, means OK, because someone else did it. It's something kids always say, and parents always say, if they jumped off the bridge, would you in response?

Big boys and girls are expected to dress and behave as such, and just because someone else got away with it, does not mean you should blindly follow.

You are very fortunate to have a job that values the way you dress over spelling and punctuation.

Do you know what the difference is between shorts and a short skirt?? Answer: 2 Narrow Seams or 1 Narrow Mind. ;)

And why is that?Does the suit and tie change the taste of the food.You shouldnt be staring at people.Relax and stop being so uptight.I would much rather be in comfortable clothing on MY vacation than wearing a suit and tie.And no Im not going to the buffet,im requesting to sit right next to you in my tank top,shorts and sunglasses slurping my beer.:*

This is why we always get a table for 2.

Sent from my Kestrel using Forums mobile app

What's funny is I never paid attention to what others were wearing until I saw these boards. Then I started looking for shorts, jeans, t-shirts. Still didn't care, but just became aware of it because of these boards.

These arguments go on and on and on. They will never be settled.

Regardless of whether the dress "code" is a REQUIREMENT or a SUGGESTION, why would you dress in any other manner than what's stated? This is 3rd grade level logic.

What's funny is I never paid attention to what others were wearing until I saw these boards. Then I started looking for shorts, jeans, t-shirts. Still didn't care, but just became aware of it because of these boards.

We tend to notice when we are standing in the MTD line at the MDR entrance. We saw a lovely couple on formal night, man in a black suit, wearing a fedora, lady in beautiful dress with a couple in cargo shorts and t shirts behind them. On another cruise, it was a woman in a beautiful gown and her companion was in a polo and manpris (capri pants for men which are just wrong on their own).

It is the extremes we notice.

Edit to add for the hat people:

The gentleman removed his fedora as he entered the dining room, so take a deep breath.

Clientele attire without question plays a role in ambiance. I always follow the attire suggestions and most of the time consider them a bare minimum. If I wanted to wear less than what is suggested I would find a vacation that suggested something closer to what I was looking for rather than justifying why I chose to not adhere to the suggestions. Thats just me though.

Of course people will judge.... who cares? Here is the thing, your rights end at my nose. You can choose to judge or not to judge but that doesn't affect me one bit. Unless there is a hard rule that I have agreed to then I will do what I like. Thanks love :p

Nope, I have done it many times. People who let what others wear somehow affect them must have a sad life.

I doesn't bother us even though we dress smart all the time.

The only thing i don't like is if someone smells of BO near me but fortunately that is rare on the ship.

Sent from my Kestrel using Forums mobile app