Wearing dress shorts in MDR on Adventure of the Seas

Very odd announcement. Very strange & proactive announcement. One I have never heard before on any cruise.

This did NOT occur on my Adventure cruise.

We had those announcements on AD in Dec and then again in April. Dec was the first time we had ever heard it.

I have never seen anyone denied entry into the MDR...others may have.

However, prepare yourself for the onslaught of comments along the lines of

"There is no such think are dress shorts." :D

Me thinks these are dress shorts:images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSwJdC1K0ojq2Ynt2vXGQzUS73SJzZDHyycwOk6v3HHJ9C2Ly5IDQ

Not to be worn by anyone above a size 6.

We sailed Adventure of the Seas in March and there was an announcement made the first evening that "No shorts are allowed in the dining room. I repeat, no shorts. If you come to the dining room in shorts, you will be asked to change". It was a very firm announcement.

That's the first time I've heard anything like that.

Good. Time for adults to act like so when eating in the dining room.

Here's a sign from the Explorer

Explorer_Dress_Code.JPG

How about wearing a formal wife-beater and flip flops on formal night while removing tips, sharing your drink package, while placing a dirty sock on your pool side chair to save it.

You missed smoking on the balcony.;p

My husband and I will sail on the Oasis on September 10 We are doing the exact same thing as you and your wife. You will love the Oasis!

This has not been the case on any cruise I have been on. The 1st night is usually the most lax of any night as everyone has not received their luggage by the time the early meal starts which has usually been my case. I have worn shorts on the 1st night of every cruise but have worn slacks and polo shirts the rest of the nights with the exception of formal nights which we have traditionally dressed up with me wearing a suit and have brought along a different **** and tie for both nights. The wife has usually worn cocktail type dresses. Our next cruise in October however we have deemed our chill out cruise as we are not planning excursions and just want to enjoy our first time on Oasis class. We have talked and this cruise will be no suit and no cocktail dress but I am considering just a shirt and tie on formal nights or maybe no tie and the wife will be in slacks and blouse more than likely! :cool:

OMG..another thread debating shorts in the dining room.....

Who cares!

If you don't want to...don't. If you do, and look presentable, enjoy!

Obviously there are plenty who do care, it takes a lot of people complaining before the ship goes to the trouble of putting up a sign and then enforcing it. Shorts in MDR for dinner are not presentable.

Good. Time for adults to act like so when eating in the dining room.

Here's a sign from the Explorer

Explorer_Dress_Code.JPG

Comic Sans font signs are not to be taken seriously. :')

In the background I see a woman in a dress that could be shorts, not sure, plus flip flops, and her friend has a tank top. Guess they just mean men only.

Comic Sans font signs are not to be taken seriously. :')

In the background I see a woman in a dress that could be shorts, not sure, plus flip flops, and her friend has a tank top. Guess they just mean men only.

She has a dress on and sandals. Friend has on a sleeveless top. Not a tank top. Look harder

On this cruise, there were no shorts that I saw

Oh, good lord. I saw really short shorts worn in the MDR at dinner last month. What are those things called? Daisy Dukes, I think? And there was one child, perhaps four years old, whose parents allowed him in the MDR, in shorts, and barefoot. I know this, because he was also running around all over the place all through dinner, night after night, and more than once, there was a "near miss" involving him and a waiter pushing that giant cart with people's dinner plates.

Honestly, the entire attitude that people should be allowed to do whatever they want to because they are on vacation has gone a bit far, IMHO.

Only a classless rube would contemplate wearing shorts to a formal err, elegant, err nice diner in the company of others.

Sadly I've just described 98% of the population.

Makes me contemplate not which line I would cruise on, but if I want to cruise at all.

Maybe Cunard can be a refuge. The price would be worth it not to have to deal with the sort of ignorant lot whose idea of a fine meal is "Guys Burgers."

Why don't you just rent a barge, strap on a few kegs, light the grill and plop your obese fannies into whatever folding chair will hold your girth while you drift around?

What would be the difference?

Edited by Cuervosar

Thanks for the thread...new to RC. My husband wears dress shorts normally at dinner a couple of nights with a collared shirt...think country club, golfing attire. I will be sure to have him take at least an extra pair of dress pants just in case. He wears a suit and tie for formal night. I wear a dress every night. It will be interesting to see the difference with the lines. I think all rules can be interpreted different ways. I mean no shorts could mean a dressy short that a female is wearing, just as a tank style dressy top is technically a tank top. They aren't going to list every exception.

Thanks for the thread...new to RC. My husband wears dress shorts normally at dinner a couple of nights with a collared shirt...think country club, golfing attire. I will be sure to have him take at least an extra pair of dress pants just in case. He wears a suit and tie for formal night. I wear a dress every night. It will be interesting to see the difference with the lines. I think all rules can be interpreted different ways. I mean no shorts could mean a dressy short that a female is wearing, just as a tank style dressy top is technically a tank top. They aren't going to list every exception.

The tank top prohibition is for men. Hairy armpits can be a bit off-putting at meal time. :eek: :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The tank top prohibition is for men. Hairy armpits can be a bit off-putting at meal time. :eek: :)

Oh I know....just pointing out that they aren't specific (even about it only applying to men) so they have the wording there to be able to enforce things they see as unacceptable. There are going to be exceptions but they aren't going to list all of them on those signs.

Does that go for all those millennial women who don't shave their armpits too? :confused:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-4543178/A-quarter-millennial-women-hairy-armpits.html

:eek::eek:

If old women can wear yoga pants (yuck) in the MDR your shorts will be a step up.

I agree.:rolleyes: It's all based on what's "attractive".

Men don't really much care.

I find the issue being other women, who envy attractive ladies in dress shorts.:p

(just stirring the pot)

Edited by $hip$hape