Chill full. playful. Sinful. I say offensive.

twobluecats

What does "Chill full" even mean? I am very offended by that. Any millennial is going to see right through that crappy marketing ploy....I know I do.

OK - i'm feeling really stupid right now. I certainly know what chill means but I have no idea what "chill full" means or why you are very offended.

So, should I cancel or should I stay?; I think I will see it for myself and then decide. Marketing nowadays is so overrated IMHO and I don't really care about chilling full or empty...or at all! I just want the experience!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The word "Edge" can also be offensive or sinful. It has many different meanings.

If you really want to get technical the whole cruising industry is sinful. People spending enormous amounts of money pleasuring themselves while many are starving or barely able to survive or not living in adequate housing.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌞

I think that is the point. The marketing is not directed toward you. It's directed more toward millennials. Clearly they are making a ploy to capture my generation, but I don't think it will work since they just did it wrong.

Just realized another angle - if Celebrity is targeting millennials, they have a bigger problem than the marketing words they choose - - - their website! Lol

Just realized another angle - if Celebrity is targeting millennials, they have a bigger problem than the marketing words they choose - - - their website! Lol

Those who complain alot about the website might be surprized at the fact that many millennials and others figure out a work around to the issue and move on to the next task... so the website will not be much of a challenge for X.

bon voyage

Those who complain alot about the website might be surprized at the fact that many millennials and others figure out a work around to the issue and move on to the next task... so the website will not be much of a challenge for X.

bon voyage

This is an excellent point, and another angle I hadn't considered! :)

I'm not a millennial, so I sometimes have trouble or get frustrated - but from a navigation/aesthetics point of view. Luckily I have not experienced any of the problems I have heard from other posters with respect to the cruise planner.

Puffery? You know that's defense is almost never used in real life (well....maybe our orange prez does but he hasn't used that defense while under oath to the best of my knowledge). But I don't see any puffery here since there is no "extravagant claim". I just see bad marketing.

"Almost never used" because charges are rarely brought. "Puffery" is not against the law except when exaggerated claims are made for a product or service otherwise regulated (e.g, the SEC, FINRA, etc.). The FTC regulates advertising and Wikipedia quotes them:

The United States Federal Trade Commission (FTC) defined puffery as a "term frequently used to denote the exaggerations reasonably to be expected of a seller as to the degree of quality of his product, the truth or falsity of which cannot be precisely determined."[3]

The FTC stated in 1984 that puffery does not warrant enforcement action by the Commission. In its FTC Policy Statement on Deception, the Commission stated: "The Commission generally will not pursue cases involving obviously exaggerated or puffing representations, i.e., those that the ordinary consumers do not take seriously." e.g., "The Finest Fried Chicken in the World."

It's an extravagant claim to say something is "great", "decadent" or "sinful" without showing some kind of proof. Since this is opinion based claim, perhaps surveys done by independent firms with the questions and answers published so they can be reviewed would move it out of puffery and into fact. Then, if a majority of the respondents said "great", "decadent" or "sinful" the advertising would be factual based on customer's opinions. But we allow (most) companies to puff up their product with their own opinion and even use selected positive testimonials, without showing any negative ones. That all falls under the label of "puffery".

There are exceptions in financial services, drug advertising, etc. But cruise lines can lie about how great they think they are, as long as they don't cross the line into deceptive practices.

OK - i'm feeling really stupid right now. I certainly know what chill means but I have no idea what "chill full" means or why you are very offended.

No need to feel stupid. Chill full isn't a real term. It's just a fake marketing term created by X to rhyme with playful and sinful. this is all targeted at millennials. but to millennials, it is a wrong use of the term by old fogies that are trying to reach out to my generation and seem cool. rather than appreciate the....um....culture?...they misappropriate "trendy" lingo, which of course comes off as disingenuous and i suspect that many millennials will not fall for it and actually just roll our eyes at X.

I am not offended at all. I am just joking and being sarcastic as it is such a ridiculous idea to be offended by fake words.

While they probably have the ability to figure out the work around, I thought they would be more likely to not bother and move on. Are the millennials or the Gen X'ers the first generation with so much A.D.D.?

A bigger issue, certainly in the UK, is that the millennials are struggling financially, not least to get on the "housing ladder" in a country with a housing model based traditionally based on ownership, while the baby-boomers have all the cash for luxuries like cruises.

Stuart

For those who are new to EDGE discussions, here's the link to the EDGE threads, ongoing. Great photos about the build progress, etc

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1095&order=desc

Now that I have seen the video they may want to add the term Bougie Full which would be right up there with Chill Full.

While they probably have the ability to figure out the work around, I thought they would be more likely to not bother and move on. Are the millennials or the Gen X'ers the first generation with so much A.D.D.?

Yes, I do move on to the next task and not dwell on 'computer glitches' as I see it day in and day out. Unless there is something which needs to get done for my 'economic' pressing issues, I do not worry about it.

My time is usually more valuable than opining over and trying over and over again to access a website, that there must be another way to get done what I need to do. Then again, for some on CC, it appears that all they have to do is gaining access to their reservations and if they cannot then the world is coming to an end. I do find that phone and email works just as well, too. Just me, though.

Yes, I find work a work around for the rare moments when the website is not operating as I wish it would or expect it. I call it, 'go away do something else and come back and try again later'. I, along with others, have no need to bash X's website ad nauseam and report the glitch of the moment. Other cruise lines have issues with their websites as well, so X does not have a monopoly on this issue.

We make our reservations, pay for our sailings, understand that if we cannot complete eXpress passes online or get luggage tags, these things can be done dockside with little pain or issues. In my experience, the website is not a problem whereby what I want and need to get done cannot be so, especially when my sailing is more than 30 days off. Unlike my spouse who gets frustrated when the print button is not 'in your face', I on the other had, say do not worry about it, I will take care of it for you...simple work around at some point. :)

I understand that those who have the time and real desire to spend on this can get frustrated by it all.... go for it.

bon voyage

... Maybe my Celebrity is fading away into oblivion considering their target audience based on conceptual drawings also includes nobody over the age of 30. ....

Very few businesses produce marketing that feature many people over 30, it's just the way it is. It does look as though Celebrity is trying to recreate Las Vegas of the early noughties - adult orientated - hip - 30 something. The reality is very different.

Celebrity is no different.

Last year we made the mistake of purchasing the official Celebrity DVD of our cruise (Canaries). Apart from being a pretty sloppy production with awful muzak the first 15 mins of the DVD shows people queuing up at Southampton and boarding. There's no easy way of saying it just looked like one giant queue of pensioners lining up at the Post Office to collect their pension. If you were in your 20s or 30s, had never sailed, and saw that I doubt you would ever book.

Yes, I do move on to the next task and not dwell on 'computer glitches' as I see it day in and day out. Unless there is something which needs to get done for my 'economic' pressing issues, I do not worry about it.

My time is usually more valuable than opining over and trying over and over again to access a website, that there must be another way to get done what I need to do. Then again, for some on CC, it appears that all they have to do is gaining access to their reservations and if they cannot then the world is coming to an end. I do find that phone and email works just as well, too. Just me, though.

Yes, I find work a work around for the rare moments when the website is not operating as I wish it would or expect it. I call it, 'go away do something else and come back and try again later'. I, along with others, have no need to bash X's website ad nauseam and report the glitch of the moment. Other cruise lines have issues with their websites as well, so X does not have a monopoly on this issue.

We make our reservations, pay for our sailings, understand that if we cannot complete eXpress passes online or get luggage tags, these things can be done dockside with little pain or issues. In my experience, the website is not a problem whereby what I want and need to get done cannot be so, especially when my sailing is more than 30 days off. Unlike my spouse who gets frustrated when the print button is not 'in your face', I on the other had, say do not worry about it, I will take care of it for you...simple work around at some point. :)

I understand that those who have the time and real desire to spend on this can get frustrated by it all.... go for it.

bon voyage

I usually enjoy your posts Bo, but sometimes they remind me of the Black Knight in Monty Python's Holy Grail when he says as his limbs are hacked off, "come on, fight! Its only a flesh wound!"

You certainly are a glass half full guy!

This is all just marketing. Some will find it "offensive", others would be intrigued. It's about who their target audience is, and most would agree that they are targeting the next generation of 'cruisers' for the longevity of the business. As long as their target audience is intrigued then they've succeeded. It doesn't hurt to generate controversy and keep people like us talking and debating about the appropriate use of the word "chillful".

"Almost never used" because charges are rarely brought. "Puffery" is not against the law except when exaggerated claims are made for a product or service otherwise regulated (e.g, the SEC, FINRA, etc.). The FTC regulates advertising and Wikipedia quotes them:

[/font][/color]

It's an extravagant claim to say something is "great", "decadent" or "sinful" without showing some kind of proof. Since this is opinion based claim, perhaps surveys done by independent firms with the questions and answers published so they can be reviewed would move it out of puffery and into fact. Then, if a majority of the respondents said "great", "decadent" or "sinful" the advertising would be factual based on customer's opinions. But we allow (most) companies to puff up their product with their own opinion and even use selected positive testimonials, without showing any negative ones. That all falls under the label of "puffery".

There are exceptions in financial services, drug advertising, etc. But cruise lines can lie about how great they think they are, as long as they don't cross the line into deceptive practices.

An argument could be made that this isn't puffery b/c they are making up phrases that are meaningless, which makes up half their tagline.

"great", "decadent" or "sinful" is much better advertisement. They should hire you and give you the money instead :') b/c X's marketing team is failing rt now.

A bigger issue, certainly in the UK, is that the millennials are struggling financially, not least to get on the "housing ladder" in a country with a housing model based traditionally based on ownership, while the baby-boomers have all the cash for luxuries like cruises.

Stuart

I do find that concerning. They are marketing toward a group that isn't wealthy. Although, I will say that there are some "whale" millennials that stay in the most expensive rooms while on board. My hunch is that they are targeting them.

Also, X does a lot of chartered cruises with the AMA. You will have a lot of young doctors who need GME credit. Could be a roundabout way to get the AMA to do more charted cruises.

This is all just marketing. Some will find it "offensive", others would be intrigued. It's about who their target audience is, and most would agree that they are targeting the next generation of 'cruisers' for the longevity of the business. As long as their target audience is intrigued then they've succeeded. It doesn't hurt to generate controversy and keep people like us talking and debating about the appropriate use of the word "chillful".

Chill full. playful. Sinful. isn't trending on twitter or FB or anything....clearly millennials are not intrigued. CC is not where millennials congregate and isn't representative of what millennials think.

Chill full. playful. Sinful. isn't trending on twitter or FB or anything....clearly millennials are not intrigued. CC is not where millennials congregate and isn't representative of what millennials think.

I wasn't necessarily referring to the millennials only, as I suspect cruising is still not their cup of tea at this time in their lives. Even my Gen X friends are still shunning cruising because of the stereotype attached to it. The advertising is an attempt to dispel that perception.

Bo,

About the only thing I use the Celebrity web site for is printing my boarding pass and requesting luggage tags. Everything else goes through my TA. The one time the luggage tags button didn't work for a few months I just called as you pointed out. I use a couple of other online TA web sites to do my searches because they're far more efficient and informative without all they hype. One has multiple cruise line listings to particular regions which can be sorted by lowest price while the other has an excellent available cabins program by category and deck.

Why would anyone want to use the buggy Celebrity website with good alternatives? So no frustration regarding Celebrity's web site from me. Just amusement at the people who keep doing the same thing over and over and over again but expecting a different result.