This is crazy

Drill2dk

So maybe instead of doing an excursion while on the island you can volunteer and do something productive. These islands need assistance in many forms, money and actual hands on. By having the cruise ships return this can accomplish both. Imagine if even just 5% percent of the passengers on a ship signed up to volunteer how much good could be done. It's all how you look at things. In today's society, we are too quick to be outraged and say whats wrong with everything without stepping back and looking at the whole picture.

This was discussed during the hurricane events.

The problem is, with a volunteer that is only there for a few hours, it takes more time to deal with them, than the amount of work that they do.

If you want to volunteer time, get with one of the organizations, and go and work for a week or more. So volunteer rather than take your cruise.

Or, donate money, or items they can use, through a GOOD charity (and some of the VERY big name ones are HORRIBLE at actually getting your donations to where they are needed).

Brand New Update from Royal Caribbean:

"Royal Caribbean leadership recently returned from visits to St. Thomas, San Juan, and St. Maarten. We continue to be impressed with the progress the islands are making to rebuild, and are excited to announce our return to St. Thomas with Adventure of the Seas on November 10, as well as our return to San Juan with Freedom of the Seas on November 30. While it was our desire to also return to St. Maarten in November, the island needs a little more time to recover, and we will be returning to this beautiful destination on December 17 with Grandeur of the Seas. "

Sounds like we should start apologizing to Drill2dk right non-believers?! They said it was too early, and even Royal Caribbean seems to agree. St. Maarten was pushed from November 5th to December 17th.

Most people here simply said that when possible, we would like to go, and the RCI would not go there if it was not ready. Looks like it is not ready. Drill2dk seemed to be against any island that got hit, so I guess the PR and ST. Thomas are out as well.

As of right now, I have a cruise booked in March that leaves out of San Juan and stops in St. Maarten. I have already donated to families in both countries and will visit the islands if the Adventure goes there. I believe they need the tourism revenue in addition to donations. One thing I am also looking into are volunteer opportunities on both islands. I have friends with family in Puerto Rico so if they are still in need I'll definitely spend some time with them. I'd love it if the cruise line would put together some volunteer groups on St. Maarten for any interested passengers.

I agree with that on most threads, but this one is going no where. No one is conceding. We all still have our original idea of where we are willing to go or not willing to go. The OP and a few on her side are just repeating the same things over and over. Cancel already and get on with your lives. They are not going to convince the rest of us to agree with them.

And don't worry, I know how to use the triangle icon.

It's a good place for accurate info, if only posted to counteract the co lecture and inaccurate info posted by a few.

Off topic, and not necessarily directed to A&L, but somehow I feel obligated to explain this reference, as it is still used, and still appropriate some 39 years after the fact.

I know we used it a lot in the corporate setting when I was still working.

In Nov of 1978 a cult leader named Jim Jones had a compound in Guyana, South America, and when exposed as a fraud and worse, convinced 900 followers to drink a Kool Aid type drink laced with cyanide, thus ensuring their own deaths.

To "Drink the Kool Aid" means to be convinced to believe in something blindly and strongly, even if it is not in one's best interest.

Congrats to those who remember this (you may be an old folk :D) , and hope it has enlightened any who don't. I'm sure someone will come in and correct my facts, but those are the basics.

Now back to the bantering about visiting storm damaged islands...

I actually don't think it's appropriate. I never got the idea that everyone knew what they were doing; what was in the Flavor-Aid (mixed with Kool-Aid according to wiki...I've previously only ever heard Flavor-Aid) wasn't necessarily known to all. And even if every adult there knew, it involved murder where the children were involved. To me it's like mentioning Hitler during an argument. If you're bringing it up, you've already lost.

But most people don't even know what it means at all.

Most people here simply said that when possible, we would like to go, and the RCI would not go there if it was not ready. Looks like it is not ready. Drill2dk seemed to be against any island that got hit, so I guess the PR and ST. Thomas are out as well.

Ayep.

Some trust Royal and felt they would make the right calls (since they are the ones actually there), and others don't. Those who don't trust Royal still won't trust them.

True. Those changes definitely won't satisfy the OP.

Im supposed to go on a cruise in the beginning of December. When I did final deposit they had substituted st Martin and Puerto Rico for other islands. Now RCL is saying they will be the first to go back to these ports. I think its horrible, that they would vavaction were so many people are suffering. RCL should be giving money and time for these people to heal. I feel its not cool to be vacationing while people are living without food, power and clean water.

Please call RCL cooperate and tell them this is wrong 305-539-6455.

So what did Royal say when you told them to cancel your booking and send the refund to island relief, since it isn't cool for you to vacation while people are living without food power and clean water?

And I guess there will be no more vacationing for you ever, since even in the absence of hurricanes there are always people living without food power and clean water.

But nice job wrapping your complaints about Royal in a cocoon of virtue signalling.

My cynical nature makes me think it’s not the island that isn’t ready, it is that the tour operators that Royal Caribbean partners with are not ready. Not enough busses, Jeeps, quads, boats etc.. to host the ship’s guests. That possible lost revenue stream from those tours is why RC has deviated to other islands where their tour operators are ready for business. Afterall why would RC want to lose the tour revenue stream when the island says they are ready and welcoming cruise ships? That being said, I’m amazed to think that SJ is actually ready. That puts a hole in my theory.:confused:

The OP has received their wish, they aren’t going to Sint Maarten on their cruise. I just wonder if the “next” Island will suffice for them?

My cynical nature makes me think it’s not the island that isn’t ready, it is that the tour operators that Royal Caribbean partners with are not ready. Not enough busses, Jeeps, quads, boats etc.. to host the ship’s guests. That possible lost revenue stream from those tours is why RC has deviated to other islands where their tour operators are ready for business. Afterall why would RC want to lose the tour revenue stream when the island says they are ready and welcoming cruise ships? That being said, I’m amazed to think that SJ is actually ready. That puts a hole in my theory.:confused:

The OP has received their wish, they aren’t going to Sint Maarten on their cruise. I just wonder if the “next” Island will suffice for them?

At least for the Oasis class ships they stated that the dock built for them is damaged and won't be repaired until January.

Why would Royal want to take guests to a destination that doesn't have excursions and activities for their guests? I think it has less to do with a small amount of lost tour revenue and more to do with disappointing guests.

I just called RCL and they told me Dec 9 sailing on Freedom of the seas sailing has changed to Cozumel,Cayman, Ocho Rios Jamiaca and Labadee Hati but I received a email saying St Kitts ,St Johns,SanJuan and Labadee so confusing makes it hard to plan excursions hmmmmmm

Royal took Adventure of the Seas out of cruise use and took supplies to the area and evacuated many people, as they do after any such disaster in the Caribbean. The Caribbean islands depend on the tourism and tourists dollars and by holding it back you are doing more harm than good. These are not the first storms that hit these areas. They deal with it every year! If anyone knows how to come back from a hurricane, it is the people of the Caribbean. I became more dedicated to Royal for the humanitarian efforts that they provide the people of affected areas!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Why would Royal want to take guests to a destination that doesn't have excursions and activities for their guests? I think it has less to do with a small amount of lost tour revenue and more to do with disappointing guests.

Yes, I agree but I don’t think it is a small amount of lost revenue. I think it is a more substantial amount. I have also read over the years that RC gets a substantial portion of the ship run tour price. I have heard it can be 25% or more. If this is true, I can not guarantee it however these small amounts add up quickly as pure profit for the cruise line.

RC isn’t partnering with providers for no fee to the tour operator. Both are in business to make money. In essence the cruise guests can take ship run excursions and RC profits from it, no matter what Island the ship docks at.

Please remember this is my musings out loud to why they delayed returning, as your point is very valid. Just as I think mine is as well. Nothing to do would/could be boring to some. I know my DW could sit on the beach reading all day long where as I like to be doing something. :)

Edit: I see you are from FLL. Has all the cleanup been finished where you are and advertising billboards that had been blown apart been replaced? Just curious to the differences between the “mainland US” and the Islands.

Not a good idea.

https://www.fema.gov/volunteer-donate-responsibly

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Where exactly does it say it's not a good idea to volunteer? Nobody is condoning people just wandering around the islands to see where they can help. There are plenty of reputable organizations that coordinate volunteers. Even before the hurricanes, there were shore excursions that offered the opportunities to help on the islands. I'm sure there will be more.

Where exactly does it say it's not a good idea to volunteer? Nobody is condoning people just wandering around the islands to see where they can help. There are plenty of reputable organizations that coordinate volunteers. Even before the hurricanes, there were shore excursions that offered the opportunities to help on the islands. I'm sure there will be more.

Volunteering through a reputable organization for a week or more is one thing. Wasting organizational and management time during a several hour long port stop is irresponsible.

Volunteering through a reputable organization for a week or more is one thing. Wasting organizational and management time during a several hour long port stop is irresponsible.

I disagree. There would be many things a cruise passenger could do in a few hours and not be in the way.

I disagree. There would be many things a cruise passenger could do in a few hours and not be in the way.

You really need to look at the much bigger picture of the logistics involved in disaster management.

The time, energy and expense involved in determining/certifying the useful skills of absolute strangers, securing liability waivers and verifying health/fitness and/or any other requirements for a particular subset of disaster volunteers, only to then have them show up for part of one day (and then have to orient and supervise them as well) is inefficacious.

Write a check, frequent affected businesses, etc. and you'll be truly helpful.

You really need to look at the much bigger picture of the logistics involved in disaster management.

The time, energy and expense involved in determining/certifying the useful skills of absolute strangers, securing liability waivers and verifying health/fitness and/or any other requirements for a particular subset of disaster volunteers, only to then have them show up for part of one day (and then have to orient and supervise them as well) is inefficacious.

Write a check, frequent affected businesses, etc. and you'll be truly helpful.

Aaaaaand that's why nothing ever gets done...because of a bunch of BS red tape. You don't need the Red Cross to help someone. You can just go up to someone who appears to need help and ask...Is there anything I can help you with? Can I help the island get back up and running in a few hours I'm there, of course not but maybe I can help one family in some way with the time that I'm there.

I just called RCL and they told me Dec 9 sailing on Freedom of the seas sailing has changed to Cozumel,Cayman, Ocho Rios Jamiaca and Labadee Hati but I received a email saying St Kitts ,St Johns,SanJuan and Labadee so confusing makes it hard to plan excursions hmmmmmm

Ocho Rios? What was the last time RCI ever went there?

Ocho Rios? What was the last time RCI ever went there?

I was in Ocho Roos in January 1996 on the Majesty of the Seas..... bought a watch for $600. Which caused me to buy the DW a watch for $1200 a few months later.... I remember being offered a woman, marijuana and something that I don't think I could physically do....

JHC

I was in Ocho Roos in January 1996 on the Majesty of the Seas..... bought a watch for $600. Which caused me to buy the DW a watch for $1200 a few months later.... I remember being offered a woman, marijuana and something that I don't think I could physically do....

JHC

Yeah, Jamaica will do that to you:cool:

JHC

LOL - I bought my favorite really nice watch there 30+ years ago. That is also where someone approached my husband trying to "sell" his sister to him. They worked in a pair and while we we're laughing our heads off, they lifted $100 from his pocket.

JHC

I went there more recently but that was on Carnival - I knew RCI hadn't gone in some time but didn't know it was that long ago.

Biker, who would probably rather go to Ocho Rios than Falmouth.

I went there more recently but that was on Carnival - I knew RCI hadn't gone in some time but didn't know it was that long ago.

To be fair, these sound like pretty typical evenings in Oakland Park. :p

Ocho Rios on Grandeur 14 yrs ago, got same offer. At least they are consistent...