Caution seapass card has most of cabin number

TommyD3

Do you not have to keep your insurance papers in your car in the US? We do and it has your address on it.

Nope, have an electronic card on my phone.

But you are skipping around my point. My only point is that this creates a risk. Admittedly a tiny risk; but still, an unnecessary one if I don’t lose track of my cabin number.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by sanger727

Nope, have an electronic card on my phone.

But you are skipping around my point. My only point is that this creates a risk. Admittedly a tiny risk; but still, an unnecessary one if I don’t lose track of my cabin number.

I didn't miss your point at all, I asked a question. I understand your point, I just find it ridiculous.

In the U.S. you just have to present your proof of insurance. They don't mandate where you keep it until needed. Some may keep it in the glove box. (but who puts gloves in there anyway?) some on their phone and I keep mine in my wallet next to my drivers license.

Why doesn't Celebrity not print the number on the card but do what hotels do, write the room/cabin number on the paper card holder. (joking because that wouldn't solve this horrendous, mega problem)

Net - Net, if this is such a problem for some here on CC, take out your duck tape, I Am sure those who are concerned about this carry duct tape as part of their 'must have' items in suit case or carry on, and place it over the number...

Voila, '(in)/security' issue (re)/solved.

bon voyage

Net - Net, if this is such a problem for some here on CC, take out your duck tape, I Am sure those who are concerned about this carry duct tape as part of their 'must have' items in suit case or carry on, and place it over the number...

Voila, '(in)/security' issue (re)/solved.

bon voyage

Find card, rip off duct tape... same old potential issue.

Find card, rip off duct tape... same old potential issue.

I believe the adhesive is strong enough to pull off the ink, to a great degree, from the card. Or at least the brands I have purchased, the adhesive takes most everything from the surface on which it is attached, including dirt and germs! LOL

Thank you.

bon voyage

If they are offering for the customer’s benefit, ideally they should allow you to choose if it’s in there or not. I’ve never forgotten my room number so I don’t see any benefit in having that on my card. It’s simply an unnecessary risk. True, it’s unlikely to cause a crime to occur - however, if someone does find your card and is so inclined to sneak into your room, it’s certainly easier now.

I do try and limit unnecessary risk in my life - not to the extent that it greatly influences my actions but when there’s no benefit, there’s no harm in eliminating it. Like:

1. Not having your home address programmed into your GPS, if someone was able to steal your car, the GPS can take them to your home to break in.

2. Being incredibly wary of purchasing items online - always meet in a public place and only deal with someone you can meet in person and get cash from - tons and tons of people are stolen from through online deals.

3. Not having my Atm password written down; lol, yes, if people are actually writing it on their card they are completely missing the point.

By taking simply precautions they don’t limit my life in any way and may potentially make things a tiny bit safer - what’s the harm. I won’t necessarily scratch my room number off the card but if it’s an option I would decline.

"1. Not having your home address programmed into your GPS, if someone was able to steal your car, the GPS can take them to your home to break in."

Or you can do what I do drive to a house on your street where you know they have a big dog and set your Home address there. Most folks need there home address for convenience calculating distance time etc.

"1. Not having your home address programmed into your GPS, if someone was able to steal your car, the GPS can take them to your home to break in."

Or you can do what I do drive to a house on your street where you know they have a big dog and set your Home address there. Most folks need there home address for convenience calculating distance time etc.

Or you could roll up the windows, lock the doors to your car and take the keys with you.

A few years back a Royal Caribbean online phone rep was charged with passing addresses of cruisers to her associated burglars...

Last cruise i could not open the safe because I must have entered the wrong code.. A supervisor came, while we were in our cabin, and swiped her card bypassing the security code...

Cabin stewards often leave your cabin door ajar as they get some supplies..

Your fridge is restocked, your canapes are delivered, your laundry is returned.. all by different employees with access to your stateroom.

I for one am happy with the numbers on my card (have not seen them yet on X). When we travel back to back we often switch cabins and I have a problem remembering any number.. except my wife's birthday and our anniversary.

I have to go to guest relations every cruise to have my card demagnetized. There are some bars that totally mess up the strip. I have not yet lost my card but anyone who finds it will probably have to go to guest relations first to fix it.

If one has fears like this, then one would always be looking over their shoulder to see if someone is following them to their cabin.

If one has fears like this, then one would always be looking over their shoulder to see if someone is following them to their cabin.

They no longer have to follow you now. Simply glance at your card to get the number and then follow you to the elevator to see what floor you get off. This is a dream for predators. Any young girl they like can easily be found, can call the room directly and make plans outside of the parents knowledge; or just plain stalk and harass. Just another example... again, I see a lot wrong with this.

This isn't the first time this has come up. And I know folks are having a good time with the absurd, but this really isn't the current standard for any form of "hotel" security (yes, I know it's not a hotel, but they do call the staff the hotel staff). Hotel keys used to identify the property and the room, and before electronic keys, weren't even rekeyed between occupants. That hasn't really been true for 20 years ashore. Most reusable electronic keys don't even identify the specific property (Marriott, for instance, not a specific Marriott) as a security measure. (Obviously, the cruise lines keep the ship's name and sail date for port security purposes.)

So, like it or not, having an identifiable cabin number on your Seapass, which is your cabin key (not to mention your portfolio number, which links directly to your credit card), is not only not state of the art security, it's not even state of the late 20th Century security.

I'd love to know the cruise lines' reasoning behind adding this identifier back onto the SeaPass cards. Just imagine the PR nightmare if some poor Aqua class passenger got assaulted in his or her cabin because someone found their card and used it to access the cabin. I agree with most that the odds of this happening are minuscule but the downside for Celebrity or Royal could be huge.

For example, if the odds of this happening is 1 in 10 million, i.e. 1 passenger in 10 million gets assaulted, but the cost to X when it happens is $100 million in lost business, lawsuits etc., the expected loss would be $10 per passenger ((1/10,0000000) X 100,000,000). Is the benefit gained by having the cabin identifier on the SeaPass card worth $10 per passenger? If the odds were 1 in 20 million, are the benefits worth $5 per passenger? etc.

Is there any tangible benefit gained by having the partial cabin number on the card?

I'd love to know the cruise lines' reasoning behind adding this identifier back onto the SeaPass cards. Just imagine the PR nightmare if some poor Aqua class passenger got assaulted in his or her cabin because someone found their card and used it to access the cabin. I agree with most that the odds of this happening are minuscule but the downside for Celebrity or Royal could be huge.

For example, if the odds of this happening is 1 in 10 million, i.e. 1 passenger in 10 million gets assaulted, but the cost to X when it happens is $100 million in lost business, lawsuits etc., the expected loss would be $10 per passenger ((1/10,0000000) X 100,000,000). Is the benefit gained by having the cabin identifier on the SeaPass card worth $10 per passenger? If the odds were 1 in 20 million, are the benefits worth $5 per passenger? etc.

Is there any tangible benefit gained by having the partial cabin number on the card?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Possibly the odds are just as high that some passenger, young, old or just drunk who doesn't remember their cabin number will start banging on the wrong door at 1 in the morning and get assaulted by the angry drunk they just woke up. Now this I have had happen to me on multiple occasions (drunks banging on my cabin door late at night). So far I have refrained from opening the door and beating to death them with my sturdy celebrity umbrella:rolleyes: (actually it was on RCL and Carnival this happened, dunno if they have umbrellas??)

You can argue this all kinds of ways.

Bottom line, if you don't want it on there is VERY easy to remove it.

You can argue this all kinds of ways.

Bottom line, if you don't want it on there is VERY easy to remove it.

It can be argued possibly 10 million different ways.:) By reintroducing the partial cabin numbers onto the cards the cruise line has increased risk and possible liability for the cruise line however minuscule that increase is. My question is why increase the risk at all? Is there a tangible benefit for the cruise line by having the partial cabin numbers on the card? Will people now choose Royal or X over Princess or HAL because of this change?

Of course cruisers can remove the number but why reintroduce this in the first place?

Will people now choose Royal or X over Princess or HAL because of this change?

Of course cruisers can remove the number but why reintroduce this in the first place?

Obviously, because some people wanted it. There's probably 1% of the passengers that wanted it, another 1% seem appalled by it an the other 98% don't care one way or the other (actual numbers may vary).

Anyone that uptight over this minor nit is probably better off on HAL. I certainly wouldn't want them on my cruise whining about the music by the pool or people having too much fun and annoying them as they try to nap while sitting near the Martini Bar.

Okay, okay for all who are 'upset' about room numbers on their SeaPass, please note the the DOT has only had three (3) reported crimes on any X ship in the last 18 months or so.

Are there more, just not reported? More than likely.

Here is a summary of crimes aboard cruise ships and in ports. Appears to be mainly crew on passengers and not passengers on passengers from my quick scan of the site.

X is one of the lines with a low report of incidents, of course there were lines during this time frame which had no reports.

Some may want to use these statistics to guide on which line to book going forward, possibly.

Also, this does not mean your concerns are unfounded or mis-guided, to me, just not a 'major' concern unless you have had known stalkers before boarding. AND you need to know where your children are when not in supervised activities aboard any cruise line!

bon voyage

Obviously, because some people wanted it.

As I said upfront;

I'd love to know the cruise lines' reasoning behind adding this identifier back onto the SeaPass cards.

None of us can be sure but it seems likely some people asked for it to be re-introduced and likely the cruise line calculated that the risk was negligible. For the shareholders' sake I hope they gave the calculation job to the risk management folks and didn't rely on X's famous IT department. :eek: