Caution seapass card has most of cabin number

TommyD3

Years ago, in the Bahamas, my youngest daughter found a seapass card, while in the ocean snorkeling!!! AND for the ship we were currently on!! How does that happen?? She turned it in, and at our dinnertime the card the person belonged to came over to our table and thanked her, and sent her a plate of chocolate covered strawberries.

Should I be ready with teargas?

I think the least restrictive way would be the scratching off of a number if you would feel more protective. I understand AQ for sure.

Thanks for the heads-up; at least passengers can do whatever they feel is best for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This isn't the first time this has come up. And I know folks are having a good time with the absurd, but this really isn't the current standard for any form of "hotel" security (yes, I know it's not a hotel, but they do call the staff the hotel staff). Hotel keys used to identify the property and the room, and before electronic keys, weren't even rekeyed between occupants. That hasn't really been true for 20 years ashore. Most reusable electronic keys don't even identify the specific property (Marriott, for instance, not a specific Marriott) as a security measure. (Obviously, the cruise lines keep the ship's name and sail date for port security purposes.)

So, like it or not, having an identifiable cabin number on your Seapass, which is your cabin key (not to mention your portfolio number, which links directly to your credit card), is not only not state of the art security, it's not even state of the late 20th Century security.

I was on Connie when the small globe on the desk of the Michael's Xlub Concierge was stolen. Fortunately they had the video. You become vulnerable when you don't see a possibility of evil happenng. You can't live in fear, but you can expect the unexpected.

In land-based hotels, front desk staff are instructed not to say a customer's room number out loud when giving out keys so no one can overhear the room number. This became common practice after several single people had been followed to their hotel rooms and assaulted. Keeping room numbers private is just good practice. It astonishes me that Celebrity would do otherwise.

That is the perfect solution and one I think I'd do without even thinking about it. It would just make me feel more secure. I never give my cabin number out on roll calls either. Just personal choice.

Phil

I agree Phil you just can't be too careful and with 3000 people on board with lots of alcohol bad things can, and do, happen.

There are cameras. The ship is contained. There are jail cells in the basement. That being said, someone did steal our door magnets.

Completely agree that having the last three digits on your sea pass is no problem.. My DH is quite forgetful & when cruising on another line, I placed a picture of our dog on our mailbox for him.. Someone stole the picture of our Pup..I've put the picture on our mailbox on many cruises & that happened only one time... :cool:I suspect it was to give to a child, but could be wrong.. LOL

Completely agree that having the last three digits on your sea pass is no problem.. My DH is quite forgetful & when cruising on another line, I placed a picture of our dog on our mailbox for him.. Someone stole the picture of our Pup..I've put the picture on our mailbox on many cruises & that happened only one time... :cool:I suspect it was to give to a child, but could be wrong.. LOL

when things go missing from your door it's often kids/very young adults just being kids. I've seen them on a couple of occasions switching mail, or moving stuff from one door to another, such as the do not disturb signs.

My questions are:

1. How many times have you actually lost your SeaPass card?

2. What are the chances that your card, if lost, will end up in the hands of a person intent on harm or stealing on a Celebrity cruise?

I believe the odds are better winning a lottery.

I don't worry about criminal activity aboard a ship.

My questions are:

1. How many times have you actually lost your SeaPass card?

2. What are the chances that your card, if lost, will end up in the hands of a person intent on harm or stealing on a Celebrity cruise?

I believe the odds are better winning a lottery.

I don't worry about criminal activity aboard a ship.

1) Never lost, but found many

2) Not Sure, but

2a) Lottery odds are pretty high, pretty sure if we calculate the odds you would be wrong.

2b) I don't worry about criminal activity either, but there is plenty on cruise ships.

To me it seems there is no good reason to put the number on the card.

According to the FBI your odds of being involved in a crime on a cruise ship are approx 1 in 400,000. Most of those are assaults (nearly all of them). And I would bet most of those are on the short cruise party ships (carnival etc). If you are worried the easiest solution is to scratch off the number. They come off very easily by scratching or nail polish will do it (along with the paint on the card). Sunscreen actually takes the writing off the cards. Now your odds of someone finding your card and actually trying to get into your room with it are probably astronomical (I agree, probably similar to winning the lottery).

1) you have to lose your cards, odds 1 in 2000 say

2) someone nefarious has to find it, odds well max is 1 in 400,000

3) odds they will try to get into your room with it ??

So maybe some math major can figure that out but its REALLY REALLY bad odds.

According to the FBI your odds of being involved in a crime on a cruise ship are approx 1 in 400,000. Most of those are assaults (nearly all of them). And I would bet most of those are on the short cruise party ships (carnival etc). If you are worried the easiest solution is to scratch off the number. They come off very easily by scratching or nail polish will do it (along with the paint on the card). Sunscreen actually takes the writing off the cards. Now your odds of someone finding your card and actually trying to get into your room with it are probably astronomical (I agree, probably similar to winning the lottery).

It only takes one.

No you need all 6 numbers to win the lottery;p

We have a game in my state where you only need to pick 2 numbers!

People are worried about numbers on SeaPass cards and criminal intent. Do people realize how many seniors write their ATM password codes the back of their cards? People will be surprised. Now THAT is a problem to worry about if you lose your card.

I've probably spent too much of my life in security (national) related fields, but the odds would reduce to zero if the numbers weren't there, and I don't see any negative to removing them. And, yes, I travel enough that there are nights when I try to remember what my room number is tonight...

We have a game in my state where you only need to pick 2 numbers!

People are worried about numbers on SeaPass cards and criminal intent. Do people realize how many seniors write their ATM password codes the back of their cards? People will be surprised. Now THAT is a problem to worry about if you lose your card.

I really didn't want to go there before for fear of offending someone...

I've probably spent too much of my life in security (national) related fields, but the odds would reduce to zero if the numbers weren't there, and I don't see any negative to removing them. And, yes, I travel enough that there are nights when I try to remember what my room number is tonight...

Zero, not quite. Most of those electronic door locks can be fairly easily hacked especially if they have the port on the bottom. If a criminal element wanted into your room it's not that hard for anyone with the right tools. It's all about risk management. The risk on a cruise ship is very low, the risk of someone finding you card and using it to commit a crime even lower. If you feel those risks are higher than you are comfortable with them remove the number. You are at far more risk getting to the ship than on it. It's amazing how worried some people are about stuff like this but then they hop in a cab in some far flung port with god knows who behind the wheel because that is $20 cheaper than a ship excursion.

Zero, not quite. Most of those electronic door locks can be fairly easily hacked especially if they have the port on the bottom. If a criminal element wanted into your room it's not that hard for anyone with the right tools. It's all about risk management. The risk on a cruise ship is very low, the risk of someone finding you card and using it to commit a crime even lower. If you feel those risks are higher than you are comfortable with them remove the number. You are at far more risk getting to the ship than on it. It's amazing how worried some people are about stuff like this but then they hop in a cab in some far flung port with god knows who behind the wheel because that is $20 cheaper than a ship excursion.

Don't disagree with that. And I don't really sweat this, but don't see a reason for it. So any risk without tangible benefit seems to be too much risk.

But, yeah, booking a tour with a total unknown in a port where you don't speak the language and the operator wants cash...

If they are offering for the customer’s benefit, ideally they should allow you to choose if it’s in there or not. I’ve never forgotten my room number so I don’t see any benefit in having that on my card. It’s simply an unnecessary risk. True, it’s unlikely to cause a crime to occur - however, if someone does find your card and is so inclined to sneak into your room, it’s certainly easier now.

I do try and limit unnecessary risk in my life - not to the extent that it greatly influences my actions but when there’s no benefit, there’s no harm in eliminating it. Like:

1. Not having your home address programmed into your GPS, if someone was able to steal your car, the GPS can take them to your home to break in.

2. Being incredibly wary of purchasing items online - always meet in a public place and only deal with someone you can meet in person and get cash from - tons and tons of people are stolen from through online deals.

3. Not having my Atm password written down; lol, yes, if people are actually writing it on their card they are completely missing the point.

By taking simply precautions they don’t limit my life in any way and may potentially make things a tiny bit safer - what’s the harm. I won’t necessarily scratch my room number off the card but if it’s an option I would decline.

I do try and limit unnecessary risk in my life - not to the extent that it greatly influences my actions but when there’s no benefit, there’s no harm in eliminating it. Like:

1. Not having your home address programmed into your GPS, if someone was able to steal your car, the GPS can take them to your home to break in.

Do you not have to keep your insurance papers in your car in the US? We do and it has your address on it.