Caution seapass card has most of cabin number

TommyD3

About two months ago Celebrity incorporated another Royal Caribbean procedure.

Now the last three digits of the four digit cabin number are printed on every seapass card.

This is especially concerning for Aquaclass passengers with their color coded card because there is only one deck of Aquaclass cabins! If you misplace your seapass card the finder can go directly to and access your cabin. It is still a matter of trying the card on several decks with other cards.

Beware !!!

About two months ago Celebrity incorporated another Royal Caribbean procedure.

Now the last three digits of the four digit cabin number are printed on every seapass card.

This is especially concerning for Aquaclass passengers with their color coded card because there is only one deck of Aquaclass cabins! If you misplace your seapass card the finder can go directly to and access your cabin. It is still a matter of trying the card on several decks with other cards.

Beware !!!

My gosh! You’re right!

18c33d261de26f214b4651eb52665bd8.jpg

- Joel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Tommy:

We've all heard stories about people wandering around and looking for their cabin. Perhaps this is a sign that Celebrity is attempting to attract an older demographic and recognizes the problems that may happen with that passenger pool. Actually I was told on MIL that it was done because people do forget. I mentioned the same security concern that you indicated.

I noticed that too on our recent cruise. Now while it is a little worrying I am more worried about an asteroid smacking into earth. The reality is that 99.9999999% of the people on a Celebrity cruise are not likely to risk jail in order to sneak into your room and steal your dirty underwear. Lets face it, most all of us put anything of value in the safe. There is a higher probability of the room steward helping himself/herself to something than a passenger. If some crook really wants into your room they can probably get in regardless of whether they have your key card.

If you lose your SeaPass card, I would assume you could take the remaining card(s) and they would rekey them so that the old ones no longer work.

Also, there are lots of cameras on the ship, so if someone enters your cabin, they are likely being caught on camera. Entering a cabin other than your own is "dangerous" as the real owners could return at any time or the cabin steward could enter. I'm sure theft by another passenger could happen but have never heard of it.

Finally, you should store valuables in your safe. This is true in any hotel/ship anywhere in the world.

Scratch it off!

I think that's a good idea....I'm going again in March and if my cabin # is even hinted at on my sea pass card, which I wear around my neck whenever I leave my cabin so I don't lose it, I will scratch it off or at least damage it enough that no one will be able to use it. Although in all honesty, if I or DH lost our sea pass even if it was just misplaced, I'd go right to GR and tell them I need a new one.

Now while it is a little worrying I am more worried about an asteroid smacking into earth.

I agree and would suggest we all run for cover.....although that would obviously do no good!

If you lose your SeaPass card, I would assume you could take the remaining card(s) and they would rekey them so that the old ones no longer work.

That is my understanding as well from having several SeaPass cards reissued for various reasons.

We just noticed this on the Summit this month. As a person who has trouble remembering numbers, I thought this was interesting. I can see where it would be problematical for suite or aqua classes as there are far fewer decks to choose from. I guess I'm not going to worry about it because in all my days at sea I've never lost my seapass. Demagnetized it, yes, but lost it, no.

I find it interesting that the assumption being made is that a lost card will be found by a another passenger who is of the mindset to wander through the hallways to find the now vulnerable stateroom so that they can enter it to steal whatever may be inside. Or cause harm to some unsuspecting passenger who may be in the stateroom at the time.

Really???

Of course it could never be found by an honest person who would realize that someone has lost their SeaPass card who would then do the right thing and take it to guest services and turn it in. Heavens no!! Who would ever think to do that?? But rob the stateroom or harm another passenger - of course!! That's the only first thought anyone would have. :rolleyes:

Wow!

I find it interesting that the assumption being made is that a lost card will be found by a another passenger who is of the mindset to wander through the hallways to find the now vulnerable stateroom so that they can enter it to steal whatever may be inside. Or cause harm to some unsuspecting passenger who may be in the stateroom at the time.

Really???

Of course it could never be found by an honest person who would realize that someone has lost their SeaPass card who would then do the right thing and take it to guest services and turn it in. Heavens no!! Who would ever think to do that?? But rob the stateroom or harm another passenger - of course!! That's the only first thought anyone would have. :rolleyes:

Wow!

Rated: A+++

Thank you...

bon voyage