Norovirus survivors...what do you wish you had packed?

wdwlvr94

If you have noro you just want to die at the time

I am not sure if packing anything extra will help

I was lucky I made it home before it struck

Lost 2 days of my life & never want to catch it again

Nothing really. I was fortunate to have had a mild case on one cruise. I thought it was food poisoning at first. I threw up late in the afternoon (in the cabin toilet)--just the one episode and never any diarrhea. I skipped dinner that night and did not eat breakfast or lunch. Rest and plenty of liquids are the keys to feeling better. Our ship was late getting to St. Thomas the next day, so we ended up staying on the ship. I felt well enough to eat a little bit the next night. It wasn't until later in the cruise that they sent a letter around about the noro virus. By that time, I was fully recovered.

The only thing I can think of that might be helpful to pack would be an electrolyte supplement like Gatorade powder. But who does that??. But that's assuming you could keep it down long enough for it to do any good. There are no OTC meds that would do any good. Anti emetics (to treat vomiting) need to be given by injection. Antidiarrheals aren't recommended for Norovirus. Better out than in, in this case.

But do bring lots of cash. You'll want to tip your steward big time.

Actually, immodium, and most anti-diarrheals, is not recommended for viral gastroenteritis (like noro) because stopping the diarrhea slows down the expulsion of the virus and can prolong the illness.

Thank you for posting this. This is what I had always thought but wasn't sure. I had noro once (not on a ship) and it was awful as others have described, but I just toughed it out for a couple days until the virus was effectively eliminated. Can't imagine having it on a ship with that tissue paper-like toilet paper but using anything else could very well plug the lines.

Thank you for posting this. This is what I had always thought but wasn't sure. I had noro once (not on a ship) and it was awful as others have described, but I just toughed it out for a couple days until the virus was effectively eliminated. Can't imagine having it on a ship with that tissue paper-like toilet paper but using anything else could very well plug the lines.

Again, I will state that there is nothing at all special about the toilet paper the cruise lines provide, except that it is the cheapest available. In 42 years of working with vacuum toilet systems, I have never seen a clog caused by "incorrect" toilet paper. Now, regardless of whether you use the ship's paper or the best, softest available, if you wad up a half roll at a time, there may be consequences in the piping.

Again, I will state that there is nothing at all special about the toilet paper the cruise lines provide, except that it is the cheapest available. In 42 years of working with vacuum toilet systems, I have never seen a clog caused by "incorrect" toilet paper. Now, regardless of whether you use the ship's paper or the best, softest available, if you wad up a half roll at a time, there may be consequences in the piping.

Thanks for this Chief. Royal has been removing tissue paper (kleenex) from the bathrooms to reduce the possibility of those being flushed.

Well I know you know what you're talking about so I'll have to change my thinking about the ship's toilet paper. I had always believed/been told that using anything other than the TP provided could cause clogs. Good to learn something new. Not that I would bring my own though, I have enough to pack already!

Thanks for this Chief. Royal has been removing tissue paper (kleenex) from the bathrooms to reduce the possibility of those being flushed.

Most facial tissues would not cause a problem, but if they are the woven type, or with some chemical bonding to increase wet strength, then they could be a problem. Much of the chemical bonding that is used for paper towels, wipes, and even toilet paper, and they say it is "septic friendly" requires the swirling motion of the water in the bowl to start the process of breaking down the bonds, which you don't get with a vacuum toilet.

Most facial tissues would not cause a problem, but if they are the woven type, or with some chemical bonding to increase wet strength, then they could be a problem. Much of the chemical bonding that is used for paper towels, wipes, and even toilet paper, and they say it is "septic friendly" requires the swirling motion of the water in the bowl to start the process of breaking down the bonds, which you don't get with a vacuum toilet.

Thanks.

Could also use your input in this thread: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2568999

if you have had norovirus on a cruise, what do you wish you had packed or had with you?

Thanks!

I have not experience noro on a cruise but did experience it at home a few years ago. Honestly the only things of any use were extra trash bags in a trash can so it could be used for an emergency bucket and extra clean towels because I spent time in the shower just sitting under the warm water flow for comfort. I always carry extra trash bags which are also handy for packing up dirty clothing for the return home anyways.

Instead I aim toward avoiding if possible. Despite assertions about the use of bleach wipes scientific research says the commercial type often don't have enough concentration of bleach. I picked up one of these travel sized spray bottles and fill it with hydrogen peroxide instead. I just wipe down door handles, light switches, and the sink and toilet with it. I save old, worn out t-shirts and after a wash with heavy bleach cut out washcloth-sized cleaning towels from them. That way I can just throw away the cloth when I am done.

Extra pajamas. I have had one mild case of noro with fever on a cruise 3 years ago. My jammies got a bit sweaty and I'd have loved to have had a clean set. I made do with extra t-shirts.

Also, and not too put too fine a point on the subject, but always have extras of the third category of underpants. In order, the categories are "Romantic," "Everyday," and "Oopsie!" :o

Thanks to the tv show Life in Pieces, for those categories.

Actually, immodium, and most anti-diarrheals, is not recommended for viral gastroenteritis (like noro) because stopping the diarrhea slows down the expulsion of the virus and can prolong the illness.

thank you for that tip

A doctor told me that you should never use Immodium type products unless you absolutely MUST stop the problem temporarily - like the time it once hit my husband on a 5 hour plane flight. I always carry it when traveling, but try to avoid it if I'm at home or don't have to be far from a bathroom. On a cruise, I might use it when it's time to disembark but not until then.

I haven't had Norovirus on a cruise but I have had it on a land trip. My medical kit always has electrolyte replacements, and also Imodium for situations like disembarkation day or boarding a flight (which I needed on the land trip).

BTW, my prefered electrolyte replacement is Sqwincher. They have QuikSticks, which are single serving (add to a 500 - 600 ml bottle of water). No sugar, and a better balance of sodium and potassium. A number of flavors, and VERY easy to pack a dozen or so. You can get them from Amazon.

Gatorade has so much electrolyte, that your body actually removes water from your body to dilute it.