What's Safe in Cozumel/Costa Maya?

We stopped in Cozumel and Costa Maya in Nov 2017 on our 14 night cruise on Reflection. Costa Maya at the pier they had a pool with a beach, swimming with the dolphins, shops and I got a fish pedicure on my feet. From what I remember about the pier area at Cozumel is shops, drug store and Jimmy Buffets Margaritaville. We had food and drinks. Oh yes the watermelon jello wedges. :eek: It bring a smile to my face.

There were just under 200 shooting homicides in DC last year and some 30 traffic fatalities. The latter figure doesn't include60 pedestrians who died after being struck by a vehicle (2015). Any cruise-related incident seems to get a lot of media play, but in my experience the number of deaths or serious injuries incurred by passengers, other than through natural causes, is probably lower than the average "at home".

Your concerns are understandable, but there are many highly reliable tour operators providing safe shore excursions, both ship-sponsored and private. Perform your due diligence in checking them out on the internet and getting a good idea of which ones have a proven track record, and then book and enjoy yourselves.

Yes, parts of the USA are better not to enter, especially for tourists. Mexico has many areas that foreign tourists should avoid like the plague. All you have to do is check the US State Department. I believe Cancun is not one of those no go zones. I love Mexico and hate what the terrible drug trade has done to the country. Still, there are places in Mexico that are relatively safe. My Son and his friends went to Mexico City last year and loved it.

• 1 year later...

We stopped at both last March. In Cozumel we walked from the ship into town, had a drink in a bar we found the year before and walked back. In Costa Maya we ventured out of the complex on foot following a map on my phone. After half an hour or so we came across the only village in the area, stopped at the only bar in the place and had a great time. It was my turn to pay and the 8 drinks (2 each mostly alcohol) cost me $12.

In neither place did I feel that I was worried about the locals or any crime and Cozumel was just what it always has been, lots of shops selling the same stuff. I am probably more worried walking about in Miami if truth be told.

I was impressed a few years ago by one of the shopkeepers who proudly advised me that the sh*t he was selling was just the same as next door but his was cheaper!!   

2 hours ago, Sky111 said:

why get off? Plenty of overpriced gift shops to see on the ship. 🙂

Cozumel is an amazing island, but you need to move past the tourist gift shops, unless you are looking for vanilla extract or even prescription medications that do not require a prescription.  Even then I would go to the Mega Mart to get those items.  

Cozumel has some of the best diving and snorkeling available in all of the islands.  Before it was a cruise destination, it was a divers paradise.  The best way to enjoy Cozumel is to rent a car for the day and make a circle of the island.  The East side of the island is an amazing destination.  There are restaurants that sit on the edge of the ocean with spectacular views and delicious food and drinks.  You can visit Punta Sur,  the ecological park and spend several hours there.

I have spent several vacations on Cozumel and consider it one of my best vacations I have ever had.  Once you get out of the tourist zone, you will find the prices are much more reasonable and the local people warm and kind.  I have never felt unsafe and I am careful and pay attention to my surroundings.  I would never stay on the boat in Cozumel.  There is too much to do in just one day.

We just came back from a cruise with stops in Costa Maya and Cozumel in the beginning of January.  I never once felt in danger! We went to Jaime's Blue Reef beach club for the day in Costa Maya, since Maya Chan was fully booked. In Cozumel we went on an electric bike and snorkeling tour through Shore Excursions with Beach Bums.  I would highly recommend either of these.  We had a blast! Though I will say riding in the downtown area of Cozumel was a little scary due to the traffic. Also, we couldn't go snorkeling because the ocean was a bit rough and there were jelly fish...but we had a great lunch and day, anyway.

Here's another vote for Maya Chan. They pick you up at the port and arrange transportation for you, in groups, to return.  

In Cozumel, we like Chankanaab.  We took a taxi but I have seen some ships offer excursions there.

Edited by Hatteras51
  • Like 1

We took a ruins tour in Costa Maya with Native Choice and it was amazing.  We walked to the office as it is outside the cruise port.  Totally safe.  The man at the office told us that they don’t even have a jail in the town.  They are adding on the port to allow more ships amd they don’t support it because it will bring more people amd more trouble to the area.

in Cozumel we took a taxi to the marina to take a fantastic snorkeling trip with Cozumel H2O.  Wonderful folks.  

We stopped at both ports last November and have been to both many times.  If you don't want to take a ship's excursion, we went to Maya Chan Beach Resort in Costa Maya and really liked it.  It is very laid back, and they provide transportation there and back.

In Cozumel we always go to Nachi Cocum.  You have to take a cab there.  It's bigger than Maya Chan but you dont feel crowded because it's so big.  Has a pool and hot tub.  They have paddle boarding and other things for an additional cost.

Both places include lunch and all your drinks in your price.  I mentioned both in my review with pics.  Link is in my signature below.

One time in Cozumel we rented a Jeep and drove to the back side of the island.  It is beautiful and was not commercialized at that time.  We went to Paradise Beach one time and have been to Chanaknaab.  There is a lot to do in Cozumel.  Check out the Ports of Call boards for more suggestions.

I wouldn't say don't worry, but I wouldn't be terrified and miss two beautiful ports either.  I would say take the same precautions you would when in an unfamiliar place.  Be aware of your surroundings, don't wear expensive jewelery or flash a wad of cash.  We just take just the amounts we need since we don't need souvenirs anymore.  Don't wander away from the main area alone. It's hard to not stand out as a tourist, but be cautious and enjoy these two ports! 

Edited by Terre

We have tried both nachi cocum and mr. sanchos in Cozumel.

felt safe in both, had a great time. The wife loved the swim up bar.

are you SAFE anywhere these days? It’s debatable but we now have police with ar 15 rifles at college football games. I don’t know if i feel safer or not.....

i highly recommend nachi cocum and mr. sanchos by the way.

On ‎1‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 6:39 PM, TFLG said:

Regardless of what you do it will still be safer than doing it in DC, or LA or Chicago etc.

For the Cozumel stop the Secret River excursion is really good! Kids will love that one. Tulum is a great excursion too, although a lot of travel time between the ferry and the bus ride. In Costa Maya you can take a taxi/Shuttle to the beach for a few bucks or they have an adventure park near the pier with zip lines and water slides etc.

This is the secret river

18952910_10207730747701549_1551068268450069140_n.jpg?oh=48dc76796294cc11f94bedab7f879f11&oe=5AF0AC40photo.php?fbid=10207730747701549&set=a.10207730743661448.1073741834.1678872025&type=3&theater

As a Chicago suburbanite all my life, I very strongly disagree with your first sentence and in fact find it very insulting.  Another example of 'fake news' in the sense that yes, there are definitely some bad areas of those cities where tourists would never go anyway where crime is rampant.  In the vast majority of areas in those cities, you are definitely as safe as anywhere else in the world.  The news media likes to dramatize everything for higher ratings.  For the record, last year in Cozumel we saw a dead body lying on the street on our taxi ride to downtown. Have yet to see that in the hundreds of times I have walked the streets of Chicago!

People worry too much, I know we all want to protect our love ones and try to do our best to  keep every one safe.  TOO much media coverage for small events that can happen any where in the world.  Think Disney or Universal in Orlando, they have had there share of strange and bad things happen there as well.  

Edited by north29

• 11 months later...

In Cozumel, walk out of the cruise port and the taxis are right there.  The head guy will ask you where you are going.  Very easy. 

We usually spend most of the day at Chankanaab Park then head back to port and do a little browsing OR if shoppers, do the park for a few hours then taxi to downtown Cozumel and shop in old town.

I recommend Chankanaab state park.  The snorkeling is great and they have other activities.  Just google it.  Do not buy this excursion from the ship.  
Be the first ones to leave the ship-head to taxis-be first one at Chankanaab to get loungers.  They have snorkel gear and vests there.  Nice showers and toilets.  Beautiful sand.  Swim with dolphins, ziplines, manatees, massages.  You can pay for whatever you want or set price.  Etc. Etc.  

Bottom line is, you can live your life (taking *reasonable* actions like remaining vigilant and doing basic research on places that should be avoided) or you can “live” in fear and not experience the world. 

The leading cause of death is life, and I would rather live mine to its fullest.

Of course I also believe that when it is your time it is your time, and if the universe’s Plan A doesn’t work (say you miss your flight that later crashes), something else will happen (car crash, air conditioning unit falling from a window, etc.) or else it was not truly your time.

But only you can do you and make your decisions. For me, I will live and have experiences, doing my due diligence but not cowering in fear. (And yes, I do travel as a single woman. AND I live in NYC in one of the gentrifying but not yet gentrified areas in Brooklyn.)

• Thanks 1

On 1/10/2018 at 3:15 PM, LBeeE said:

Between the news of excursions in Mexico crashing, sinking, and being held at gunpoint, and the news last spring of American tourists being drugged/robbed at Mexican resorts, I have no idea what to do on 2 Mexican port days. Taking my tween/teen kids for their first-ever cruise, and unsure what the best options are in light of recent news.

I was born in South Texas, about 75 miles from Laredo on the Mexican border.  I have family in Texas that say the border area of Mexico is very dangerous.  They won't go over the border, like we used to do years ago.  The drug cartels pretty much run the border areas.

Certain ports in Mexico, like Acapulco are so bad that cruise lines won't stop there now.  Other ports like Cabo and Puerto Vallarta are relatively safe.   Cancun and Cozumel (I have been to Cancun, 1994) and enjoyed it, also going to Chitzen Itza.

Recently, Cancun and Cozumel have had some issues that should concern anyone visiting there.

Still, those ports are relatively safe.  My advice is to go with a tour and stay with the tour group.  

If your family are fans of the Amazing Race then check out the Amazing Race Cozumel. We did it a few years ago and had so much fun! Very well organized, safe, and a great way to experience something different in Cozumel! Google it! 

The state department will have more details.

https://travelmaps.state.gov/TSGMap/?extent=-124.207939566,14.44327709,-84.313397286,33.446969624

Where to go and where not to go.

The red portions would explain why cruise ships go where they go.

We did the Tulum excursion and loved it.

Edited by NMTraveller