Dog on ship, continued

Not always easy to avoid. Last year on a Freedom cruise, their was a couple sitting next to ours in the MDR. They had a dog in a cage. Not sure if it was a service animal. The dog did a load, and the stink was horrible. I thought our waiter was going to throw-up because of the smell. We asked the Head Waiter to move us to another table, but none were available. Instead, my wife and I got complimentary meals at Chops for the rest of the cruise.
Good example of a dog affecting other people's vacation.

Also REAL service dogs are taught to only relieve themselves on command. So this dog was not a service animal.

Typical of the extremely selfish owners that they did not take the dog and the cage out of the MDR and clean up the mess. Almost as bad as having the dog defecate on the ship's floors.

Good example of a dog affecting other people's vacation.

Also REAL service dogs are taught to only relieve themselves on command. So this dog was not a service animal.

Typical of the extremely selfish owners that they did not take the dog and the cage out of the MDR and clean up the mess. Almost as bad as having the dog defecate on the ship's floors.

Well said. I agree with your post.

1e9c8dfb6bba9a2fb9b658514a4db036.png

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The dogs in the report I watched were VERY well trained. As I stated in my post, I don't want Little Fluffy's owners messing it up for people who need real live trained service (sometimes called "assistance") dogs or other animals.

Totally agree. It's always a few selfish people that ruin it for others.

Not sure what the big deal is if you see a dog on a ship. They are easy to avoid I am sure. We have seen dogs on ships, some on leashes others in a pocket books, and it didn’t affect us one way or the other.

And yes, you can get certificates online, or just make up one of your own, as there is no official certification.

Why can’t people just mind their own business is beyond me. These complainers are much more annoying than a dog that happens to be somewhere on a very large ship.

Why? Have you ever had to listen to an "ESA" that is constantly barking, eating off of the table next to you, have seen a dog **** and the owner just keeps walking and expects the crew to clean it up? Real ESA are trained not to do this. These people are just cheap slobs that don't want to pay kennel fees or for someone to take care of them. If their only issue is that they can't live without (by this I mean they just miss their Fluffy) their dog then they need a mental health professional and not a fake ESA.

Since you seem to be supporting them are you one of THOSE PEOPLE? Must be since you say the complainers are more annoying than the dogs. I really hope there are better laws that are passed to keep the psycho cheapos out.

Service dogs should be required by law to be certified by a licensed trainer. And the certification should be required entering areas where animals are restricted. This "You can't ask" thing is ridiculous... And emotional support animals? Stay home and support your emotions with your animal. The rest of the world does not need to be subjected to dog poo unnecessarily, particularly after paying for a rather expensive vacation and considering the ongoing health risks on ships.

Wow. 50 states setting up professional licensing boards for dog trainers.

BTW in fact, you can ask. And the service animal can be required to vacate the premises if it defecates or urinates.

Totally agree. It's always a few selfish people that ruin it for others.

Why? Have you ever had to listen to an "ESA" that is constantly barking, eating off of the table next to you, have seen a dog **** and the owner just keeps walking and expects the crew to clean it up? Real ESA are trained not to do this. These people are just cheap slobs that don't want to pay kennel fees or for someone to take care of them. If their only issue is that they can't live without (by this I mean they just miss their Fluffy) their dog then they need a mental health professional and not a fake ESA.

Since you seem to be supporting them are you one of THOSE PEOPLE? Must be since you say the complainers are more annoying than the dogs. I really hope there are better laws that are passed to keep the psycho cheapos out.

No, I have never had to listen to an animal constantly barking on a ship. Nor have I seen an owner just keep walking expecting the crew to clean up after his dog after it goes to the bathroom on a ship. Have you? Or are you just one of those who are looking for something to complain about?

Not always easy to avoid. Last year on a Freedom cruise, their was a couple sitting next to ours in the MDR. They had a dog in a cage. Not sure if it was a service animal. The dog did a load, and the stink was horrible. I thought our waiter was going to throw-up because of the smell. We asked the Head Waiter to move us to another table, but none were available. Instead, my wife and I got complimentary meals at Chops for the rest of the cruise.

Maybe it just passed gas? How do you know it was the dog and not the owner? We have shared some tables with some real stinkers in the past when you had to share tables....so much so we avoided the main dining room after the first few nights...

Anyway, good for you, Chops is much better than the main dining room anyway.

Cheers!

I have been following this thread with interest. It is amazing to me that so many people selfishly take advantage of the emotional support provision - a provision that should only be used in very rare circumstances.

I love dogs and own 3. Not once have I taken advantage of the "emotional support animal" allowance. I never assume that everyone loves/tolerates animals the same as do I - just as I never assume that everyone enjoys unruly children running amok on airplanes or cruise ships. Caring for another living being (be it animal or human) is, imho, all about love, responsibility and care of a life that is dependent upon me.

My dogs are most happy and safe in their own environment at home - not cooped up in a state room or airplane. I love to travel and, when traveling, I have a trusted dog sitter take care of my dogs in my own home.

I have noted that both Delta and AA have tightened their rules for allowing emotional support animals on board flights, albeit not tight enough. I have never witnessed an es animal on a cruise ship as my cruises are almost entirely european cruises.

Edited by dogs4fun

Would you enjoy the fleas? The smell? The nose prints on glass? The slime on walls, handrails? The urine or "poop" smell and stains on carpet? The extra cost for ripped soft goods? The fur - both airborn and on surfaces? Say if some landed on the creme brulee on your dining table? The barking or crying when left alone? The sneezing if you are allergic? What if you were the family that booked a suite that wasn't quite cleaned enough to get rid of the dog "smell"? While we love our little chihuahua, he gets a sitter while we cruise. No sense in risking an offensive action or stressing about his care. When it's in your business, it's everyone's business. No one has a problem with the cuteness. It's the other

Don't forget about the dogs that drag their butt on the floor or the bedspread to clean it. Ugh!!! CC really needs a puking emoji.

Don't ever lie on the bedspread or go barefoot.

Edited by ReneeFLL

Not for regular Diabetic patient but with Type 1 Hypoglycemia Unawareness, and at times have potentially saved their owner from falling into a Coma. There are trained Diabetes Service Dogs. Like said not sure of Local/Federal Laws protecting someone from having to keep dog in cage, these dogs need to be closer to owner to detect low blood sugar.

So is he DRIVING?

If not, he is with someone else in the car, who can also monitor him.

All those posting about the legit service/support dogs. Please read this! WE ARE NOT TALKING ABOUT THEM!!!!! WE ARE TALKING ABOUT THE BOGUS CLAIMS!!! STOP comparing those that truly need with those that are selfish!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Be kind to these fragile people and their Emotional Support Dogs.

Offer to exercise the dogs for their owners.

Then play fetch on the promenade deck, making sure your ball or stick lands in the water.

If that doesn't work, then .... well ...... you guys have the Constitutional right to bear arms, don't you?

be kind to these fragile people and their emotional support dogs.

Offer to exercise the dogs for their owners.

Then play fetch on the promenade deck, making sure your ball or stick lands in the water.

If that doesn't work, then .... Well ...... You guys have the constitutional right to bear arms, don't you?

😊😊

:):)

Just as an FYI... many dogs do the “scoot” because of impacted anal glands, not to “clean themselves”. One of my poor zouchons have this issue. He is clean “down there”, but is often impacted [emoji20]

I just dry heaved

Maybe it just passed gas? How do you know it was the dog and not the owner? We have shared some tables with some real stinkers in the past when you had to share tables....so much so we avoided the main dining room after the first few nights...

Anyway, good for you, Chops is much better than the main dining room anyway.

Cheers!

I can confirm that dogs (and cats) passing gas can be VERY stinky :). Poor quality food, but also stress, can make them pass gas.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

LOL! Not mine. But I still would not risking offending others by bringing by sweet (to me) puppy.

We wouldn’t bring ours either because 1 he is kinda nasty to strangers ( shelter dog, had a rough life I guess) and 2 he would just get bored and into mischief.

Service dogs should be required by law to be certified by a licensed trainer. And the certification should be required entering areas where animals are restricted. This "You can't ask" thing is ridiculous... And emotional support animals? Stay home and support your emotions with your animal. The rest of the world does not need to be subjected to dog poo unnecessarily, particularly after paying for a rather expensive vacation and considering the ongoing health risks on ships.

Could not agree more. But current legislation says otherwise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I agree. I think it would be ice change of pace to see dogs on a ship. I'd enjoy it.

Animals, unless they are on my dinner plate. DO NOT BELONG ON CRUISE SHIPS. Unless they are properly tagged and are official service animals.

I cant wait until the first lawsuit once a passenger gets bit by a Bull@#it untrained, falsely certified so called ESA.

Without knowing the correct stats, I’m going to say over 90% of all allowed “PETS” are just that. Household pets. Not passengers, they don’t belong on a ship.

This much needed service that is afforded to deserving people is becoming marginalized. Way too many people all of a sudden. Pisses me off.

Animals, unless they are on my dinner plate. DO NOT BELONG ON CRUISE SHIPS. Unless they are properly tagged and are official service animals.

I cant wait until the first lawsuit once a passenger gets bit by a Bull@#it untrained, falsely certified so called ESA.

Without knowing the correct stats, I’m going to say over 90% of all allowed “PETS” are just that. Household pets. Not passengers, they don’t belong on a ship.

This much needed service that is afforded to deserving people is becoming marginalized. Way too many people all of a sudden. Pisses me off.

Agree.

That's the only thing that will stop me cruising.

I cruise to get away from them