Dog on ship, continued

Animals, unless they are on my dinner plate. DO NOT BELONG ON CRUISE SHIPS. Unless they are properly tagged and are official service animals.

I cant wait until the first lawsuit once a passenger gets bit by a Bull@#it untrained, falsely certified so called ESA.

Without knowing the correct stats, I’m going to say over 90% of all allowed “PETS” are just that. Household pets. Not passengers, they don’t belong on a ship.

This much needed service that is afforded to deserving people is becoming marginalized. Way too many people all of a sudden. Pisses me off.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

There is no thing such as falsely certified, or officially certified for that matter.

Animals, unless they are on my dinner plate. DO NOT BELONG ON CRUISE SHIPS. Unless they are properly tagged and are official service animals.

I cant wait until the first lawsuit once a passenger gets bit by a Bull@#it untrained, falsely certified so called ESA.

Without knowing the correct stats, I’m going to say over 90% of all allowed “PETS” are just that. Household pets. Not passengers, they don’t belong on a ship.

This much needed service that is afforded to deserving people is becoming marginalized. Way too many people all of a sudden. Pisses me off.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The good thing is, everyone's entitled to their own opinion.

What do you mean by "properly tagged" and "official service animals"? Using what laws? What about cruises between different countries? What laws then?

All those posting about the legit service/support dogs. Please read this! WE ARE NOT TALKING ABOUT THEM!!!!! WE ARE TALKING ABOUT THE BOGUS CLAIMS!!! STOP comparing those that truly need with those that are selfish!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Actually a lot of you are pushing for requiring people that use service animals provide various paperwork or certifications to prove the legitimacy of a service dog. It is you that are trying to compare/differentiate a service animal with pets. #sad.

I can confirm that dogs (and cats) passing gas can be VERY stinky :). Poor quality food, but also stress, can make them pass gas.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Maybe their owners will need another service dog that can warn them when their emotional support dog is about to let one rip!

Actually a lot of you are pushing for requiring people that use service animals provide various paperwork or certifications to prove the legitimacy of a service dog. It is you that are trying to compare/differentiate a service animal with pets. #sad.

Uh, this pretty much makes no sense. #illogical

I’m in favor of real emotional stress pups and real service dogs, but to many people take advantage of this and just buy service dog vest and ID’s on line and these dogs are just pets, with no training. My sister has two emotional stress pups for PTSD from being in the Navy, but then again they let her have guns and a Concealed weapons license. REALLY? What is wrong with this?

Wow. 50 states setting up professional licensing boards for dog trainers.

BTW in fact, you can ask. And the service animal can be required to vacate the premises if it defecates or urinates.

I guess it was easier for RCI to just let the dog stay there and comp the couple sitting next to the table the fouled cage the remaining evenings in Chops.

...................Then play fetch on the promenade deck, making sure your ball or stick lands in the water................

Then tell the owners to go and retrieve it. :D:D

I agree. I think it would be a nice change of pace to see dogs on a ship. I’d enjoy it.

Maybe you wouldn’t after reading the comment below.

Would you enjoy the fleas? The smell? The nose prints on glass? The slime on walls, handrails? The urine or "poop" smell and stains on carpet? The extra cost for ripped soft goods? The fur - both airborn and on surfaces? Say if some landed on the creme brulee on your dining table? The barking or crying when left alone? The sneezing if you are allergic? What if you were the family that booked a suite that wasn’t quite cleaned enough to get rid of the dog "smell"?

While we love our little chihuahua, he gets a sitter while we cruise. No sense in risking an offensive action or stressing about his care.

When it's in your business, it's everyone's business. No one has a problem with the cuteness. It’s the other

Just as an FYI... many dogs do the “scoot” because of impacted anal glands, not to “clean themselves”. One of my poor zouchons have this issue. He is clean “down there”, but is often impacted [emoji20]

Sounds like your dog needs obedience school.

There always has to be a troll. :rolleyes:

Dogs are on board the Queen Mary 2 but not in staterooms. They are well cared for in the ship''s kennels which the owners can visit. Service dogs are treated differently and allowed to be with the passenger. I don't know how they determine true service dogs from those with Internet certificates.

That's how it should be. It cost the passengers for their pets to cruise with them. On Royal and others the passengers are to cheap to pay for a kennel/sitter. Either that or they need more help than a fake esa can give them.

I first complained about a yappy little dog that ruined a lot of people’s cruise in March, 2012. Shows were disrupted, people were kept awake by the barking when he was left alone, people at his table were disgusted when he sat in the owners lap and ate off the plate in the MDR, etc. That thread ran 20 pages. 6 years later it’s still an issue. I don’t know how it will be resolved. I suppose it will take a lawsuit or two by someone who gets bitten by one of these animals.

That's disgusting. They should have been kicked out right then and there and never let the dog in the MDR again. With the airlines starting to crack down then hopefully the cruise lines will grow some xxxx and also start cracking down.

Wouldn't bother me. I've had dogs. I love dogs. I have no problems with them.

Have you ever taken one of your dogs on as a fake ESA?

No, I have never had to listen to an animal constantly barking on a ship. Nor have I seen an owner just keep walking expecting the crew to clean up after his dog after it goes to the bathroom on a ship. Have you? Or are you just one of those who are looking for something to complain about?

Yes and so have many others. Since you have never had to deal with any of this why does it bother you that others "complain"? Sounds like you're the one complaining just to complain. :rolleyes:

Just looked back on some of your previous posts and that explains a lot. No more feeding the troll for me. :D

Edited by ReneeFLL

I guess it was easier for RCI to just let the dog stay there and comp the couple sitting next to the table the fouled cage the remaining evenings in Chops.

You are correct.

Maybe their owners will need another service dog that can warn them when their emotional support dog is about to let one rip!

Great post. 2ffa51a343a34923b283fdc80e3b19e8.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Whelp, I've come on CruiseCritic for the first time in many many years for my first cruise in many years to, unfortunately, see this thread when looking into bringing my SO's service dog on our cruise! It seems it's a fairly big problem with both fake service dogs (ESAs) and individuals who are angry about dogs being there at all!

I'm going to say this from my side, hopefully so that individuals understand it from a service dog handler/owner's side. Service dogs aren't regulated in any way, and most of us wish they were! There are some that are home trained due to how costly it can be for training ($10k - $25k if you cannot wait in line for a free dog through certain programs), but in order to effectively do their job, a dog needs to have the right temperament and physical and mental ability to do the job they are required to do. That INCLUDES public access, a reason many dogs fail out of training as a puppy and an ability that is 100% required of all service dogs, which is hundreds if not thousands of hours of training from as early as 8 weeks, to be in public areas. Generally, you can spot a dog that has this training on something like a cruise because the dog will stay close to the owners side and not be distracted by anything else going on around them. They won't be distracted by food if it's on the ground or next to them, and trust me, that takes a lot of training to learn for some dogs!

All of that being said, a service dog is still a dog. A few of our concerns, and why we were looking, is that they still need down time; that usually means me, being more able-bodied to do so, will have times when the vest is off (this signifies to the dog work is over) and we can get his energy out through some running and playing. It seems that the cruise line offers some on-deck time very early in the morning to allow the dog some off leash time if they are given notice, though we're still trying to work that part out. I can understand if someone is afraid of dogs how this can be an issue, and I'm hoping they can create a better way to facilitate this but I know it's hard given how many people are on the ship and how little space there is. Outside of that, new experiences can be scary, which is why training on a plane and train are important before we ever go on big trips. A ship is of course a new beast if it were very rocky, but our thoughts are that everything else would follow all other training to a T.

Being a dog, accidents also can happen. The post about a dog pooping on the carpet and him just walking away is appalling, and a service owner would absolutely be paying attention to this (service dogs usually are trained to go to the bathroom on command and we're diligent about it). That being said, we've had times that it has happened because the dog was usually sick and we didn't have advance warning. It's incredibly embarrassing for the owner, but we do our best to find a staff member to assist and clean what we can. Walking away is one thing, but I'd hate to feel more ashamed because someone thinks the dog isn't truly providing a service for someone with a disability because of an accident. For those individuals reading that DO have service dogs, we were assured that a potty area would be set up for our dog in a common area, or even on our balcony.

Lastly, fake service animals are a huge hindrance to service dog handlers too! While service dogs are specially trained for public access and to act on their best manners, a fake service dog not being handled properly and being allowed to bark or even run up to a service animal can be incredibly dangerous and always troublesome. When a dog and even humans (trying to pet a dog that works or trying to get their attention) distract a dog, it can be dangerous for the owner who (in our case) may be using the dog for mobility issues or (in possibly even more dangerous ways) for medical alert.

All in all, it's frustrating for us and scary going on a cruise for the first time with our service dog, but I'm hoping our experience sets a standard for how dogs should behave when working on a trip like this.

Whelp, I've come on CruiseCritic for the first time in many many years for my first cruise in many years to, unfortunately, see this thread when looking into bringing my SO's service dog on our cruise! It seems it's a fairly big problem with both fake service dogs (ESAs) and individuals who are angry about dogs being there at all!

I'm going to say this from my side, hopefully so that individuals understand it from a service dog handler/owner's side. Service dogs aren't regulated in any way, and most of us wish they were! There are some that are home trained due to how costly it can be for training ($10k - $25k if you cannot wait in line for a free dog through certain programs), but in order to effectively do their job, a dog needs to have the right temperament and physical and mental ability to do the job they are required to do. That INCLUDES public access, a reason many dogs fail out of training as a puppy and an ability that is 100% required of all service dogs, which is hundreds if not thousands of hours of training from as early as 8 weeks, to be in public areas. Generally, you can spot a dog that has this training on something like a cruise because the dog will stay close to the owners side and not be distracted by anything else going on around them. They won't be distracted by food if it's on the ground or next to them, and trust me, that takes a lot of training to learn for some dogs!

All of that being said, a service dog is still a dog. A few of our concerns, and why we were looking, is that they still need down time; that usually means me, being more able-bodied to do so, will have times when the vest is off (this signifies to the dog work is over) and we can get his energy out through some running and playing. It seems that the cruise line offers some on-deck time very early in the morning to allow the dog some off leash time if they are given notice, though we're still trying to work that part out. I can understand if someone is afraid of dogs how this can be an issue, and I'm hoping they can create a better way to facilitate this but I know it's hard given how many people are on the ship and how little space there is. Outside of that, new experiences can be scary, which is why training on a plane and train are important before we ever go on big trips. A ship is of course a new beast if it were very rocky, but our thoughts are that everything else would follow all other training to a T.

Being a dog, accidents also can happen. The post about a dog pooping on the carpet and him just walking away is appalling, and a service owner would absolutely be paying attention to this (service dogs usually are trained to go to the bathroom on command and we're diligent about it). That being said, we've had times that it has happened because the dog was usually sick and we didn't have advance warning. It's incredibly embarrassing for the owner, but we do our best to find a staff member to assist and clean what we can. Walking away is one thing, but I'd hate to feel more ashamed because someone thinks the dog isn't truly providing a service for someone with a disability because of an accident. For those individuals reading that DO have service dogs, we were assured that a potty area would be set up for our dog in a common area, or even on our balcony.

Lastly, fake service animals are a huge hindrance to service dog handlers too! While service dogs are specially trained for public access and to act on their best manners, a fake service dog not being handled properly and being allowed to bark or even run up to a service animal can be incredibly dangerous and always troublesome. When a dog and even humans (trying to pet a dog that works or trying to get their attention) distract a dog, it can be dangerous for the owner who (in our case) may be using the dog for mobility issues or (in possibly even more dangerous ways) for medical alert.

All in all, it's frustrating for us and scary going on a cruise for the first time with our service dog, but I'm hoping our experience sets a standard for how dogs should behave when working on a trip like this.

Very well written post. Agree with you especially about fake service dogs causing problems for people like you who need their service dogs.

Whelp, I've come on CruiseCritic for the first time in many many years for my first cruise in many years to, unfortunately, see this thread when looking into bringing my SO's service dog on our cruise! .

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=585728

just in case you haven't seen this super informative post about traveling with service dogs.