Vaping / Ecig question

panzafit

First off, smokers pay the same price you do to enjoy their vacation.  It's bad enough that responsible smokers are treated as pariah on these boards and on the ships, sequestered to ridiculous areas that offer no seating or tables. Second, vaping is FIRELESS, using water and a battery, so there is no safety hazard. Your blow dryer and cell phones are more of an electrical fire safety hazard -- statistic:  most ship fires are caused by over-loaded power strips in cabins.  As far as offensive odors, your over- bathing in perfumes (or not -- your body odor, cheesy feet, and yeast infections), your high-fragrant shampoos, colognes, suntan lotions, moisturizing creams are just as, if not moreso, offensive.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

On 2/14/2018 at 12:32 PM, reallyitsmema said:

The steam of the shower can set off the detector in a cruise ship cabin too. I, unfortunately, had this happen to me this past summer on NCL Dawn. Had just come out of the shower and the phone was ringing, I didn't get to it in time and went about getting dried off. The phone then started ringing again and there was also someone banging at the door. The phone call was an automated call saying that an alarm had been received for our cabin and to evacuate if there was a fire. The door was an officer from security who asked about the alarm and soon realized I was just out of the shower and left quickly. The phone with the automated message then rang again but finally stopped. There was no audible alarm in the cabin but there was a signal that was on a fire panel somewhere. I did find that the thermostat was flashing and I hit a button on it and it reset, turning the AC back on, but it was a very embarrassing incident that my older sister, mother and mother's friend got a lot of laughs from and made my Mom's 80th birthday cruise a little more memorable.:o:D

If you've ever done a bridge tour then you've seen a panel that does light up.  It has each space/room on it and they know exactly where the alarm is.  I'm not sure where else it lights up, but it definitely shows up on that panel at the back of the bridge.  They also have the video feeds from the cameras in public spaces there.  

Edited by BND

17 minutes ago, SparksMartin said:

First off, smokers pay the same price you do to enjoy their vacation.  It's bad enough that responsible smokers are treated as pariah on these boards and on the ships, sequestered to ridiculous areas that offer no seating or tables. Second, vaping is FIRELESS, using water and a battery, so there is no safety hazard. Your blow dryer and cell phones are more of an electrical fire safety hazard -- statistic:  most ship fires are caused by over-loaded power strips in cabins.  As far as offensive odors, your over- bathing in perfumes (or not -- your body odor, cheesy feet, and yeast infections), your high-fragrant shampoos, colognes, suntan lotions, moisturizing creams are just as, if not moreso, offensive.

You mean other than the e-cigs that have exploded?  And, they do not know the health hazards yet from vaping.  It's being studied, but there are chemicals involved.  Methinks you're a smoker and a defensive one at that.

BTW, power strips aren't allowed onboard.  And, yes, vaping does leave an odor.  

Edited by BND
  • Like 4

31 minutes ago, SparksMartin said:

• Like 1

eCigs have lithium ion batteries.  The same as laptops and cell phones.

And when they are improperly charged, they can pop and burn.  See Samsung Galaxy 7.

And since eCigs is an uncontrolled market, many are likely designed and built to low standards.

As for only water vapor, wrong.  If you juice your eCig, whatever you use goes into the air.  And there are NO controls over what is put into the juice.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, SparksMartin said:

Smokers also pay the penalty.  I just picked my husband's cremains up this morning as he developed lung cancer from his years of smoking.  I smoked for 40 years and have COPD.  Only a fool continues to smoke when we have known for years that smoking causes cancer.  I know there are other kinds of cancer but I can't justify anyone smoking in this day and age.

1 hour ago, SparksMartin said:

So I'm vegan and I pay the same price to get on board as everyone else so I should expect every food venue to cater to my choice?  I don't, that's absurd, and I don't berate or complain if I have a harder time finding food on board or my options are limited.

• Thanks 1

I have never smoked or vaped but I have numerous friends and relatives who have gotten off of cigarettes and ended their nicotine addiction by vaping. Gradually cutting down on the concentration of nicotine.  I encourage everyone I know who smokes to switch to vaping. 

If it was up to me all ships would be 100% smoke free. Having said that I believe that vaping is a safe alternative to smoking and far less offensive. I would be in favor of the ships promoting the use of vaping instead of smoking. In fact they should offer seminars and sell vaping devices.

The knock against vaping is being perpetrated by the tobacco industry as a way to snuff out competition. Vaporizers shouldn't even be called e-cigarettes. They have nothing in common with cigarettes, they are vaporizers.   

And no, I don't use of sell vaping devices either.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, mac66 said:

I have never smoked or vaped but I have numerous friends and relatives who have gotten off of cigarettes and ended their nicotine addiction by vaping. Gradually cutting down on the concentration of nicotine.  I encourage everyone I know who smokes to switch to vaping. 

If it was up to me all ships would be 100% smoke free. Having said that I believe that vaping is a safe alternative to smoking and far less offensive. I would be in favor of the ships promoting the use of vaping instead of smoking. In fact they should offer seminars and sell vaping devices.

The knock against vaping is being perpetrated by the tobacco industry as a way to snuff out competition. Vaporizers shouldn't even be called e-cigarettes. They have nothing in common with cigarettes, they are vaporizers.   

And no, I don't use of sell vaping devices either.

You may want to breath the unknown chemicals that are in the water vapor, I do not.

1 hour ago, Snit13 said:

Smokers also pay the penalty.  I just picked my husband's cremains up this morning as he developed lung cancer from his years of smoking.  I smoked for 40 years and have COPD.  Only a fool continues to smoke when we have known for years that smoking causes cancer.  I know there are other kinds of cancer but I can't justify anyone smoking in this day and age.

I send you my deepest condolences on the loss of your husband.  I hope that you can find some relief from your COPD.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

You may want to breath the unknown chemicals that are in the water vapor, I do not.

They know what's in the water vapor. It's not second hand smoke (tar, nicotine and other toxic substances, you know, the burned stuff that actually causes cancer) however.

On ‎2‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 10:30 AM, spookwife said:

And uhh, yes they do leave an odor behind that can be as noxious as smoke

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This!  I have a relative who thinks there is no odor so feels free to use in my car when I am providing transportation for said relative.  Getting harder and harder to bite my tongue and not say anything!:classic_angry:

26 minutes ago, lindalo5032 said:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This!  I have a relative who thinks there is no odor so feels free to use in my car when I am providing transportation for said relative.  Getting harder and harder to bite my tongue and not say anything!:classic_angry:

Why on earth would you have ever sat there and let him do that? Seriously, your car - your rules. 

• Like 4

On 2/13/2018 at 8:20 AM, panzafit said:

I was wondering if you are allowed to vape or use Ecig in your stateroom. Also, do they make you go to the smoking section on the ship to use Ecig or can you use it outside by the pool? My husband quit smoking cigarettes and switched over to the Ecig. I know at football games he has to go to the smoking section which bothers him since he quit and being with cigarette smokers makes him want to smoke again. I just thought I would ask the question so he knows beforehand and can be prepared.

Since it is regulated like cigarretes, maybe try nicotine gum for the trip.  My DH had a heart attack a few years ago and while he still chews the nicotine gum his doctor feels for him it's the best alternative. And he can chew where ever whenever

Edited by nascarcruiser
  • Like 1

On 2/13/2018 at 10:05 AM, DShock said:

People would vape walking all around Oasis without anyone saying a word except some guest, including myself. This could lead to a negative situation but I personally don't want to breathe in "used nicotine" vapor anymore than I want to breath in flu virus. I guess those of us wanting a healthy lifestyle are just supposed to tolerate and support their addiction. Cruise lines need to enforce policies that put in place.

Agree 100%.  RCCL needs to enforce this better.  Last year on the Navigator, we had people vaping in the MDR at the table beside us (told the head waiter and he kept a close eye on it and spoke to them when he actually witnessed it himself).  Also sat right behind someone vaping during the ice show and right behind another person vaping in the theatre.  Seems like the late teen to mid 20's crowd were vaping all over the ship.  RCCL needs to enforce their policies much tighter

On 2/13/2018 at 10:42 AM, topnole said:

This!!!!

It is very hard to alert staff as only security is gonna deal with it and the vapors hide them in there hands and sneak in puffs as they walk around and can easily put them away in a pocket. Total scum bags imo and I for one will call them out every time I see it. It is an unregulated product that is going to kill these idiots and perhaps those having to breathe in this crap as second hand smoke. I’d much rather breathe in cigarette smoke. E cigs are just horrific and mostly people don’t realize it.

Royal is asking for serious conflict if they dont get on top of this. We have to breath in this poison and confrontation is likely in these scenarios.

Agreed.  I do not feel it should be my job to have to tell RCCL employees to do their job properly and enforce these rules.  On land there are penalties for smoking/vaping outside of designated areas.  The ships need to do the same.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Russ Lomas said:

Agree 100%.  RCCL needs to enforce this better.  Last year on the Navigator, we had people vaping in the MDR at the table beside us (told the head waiter and he kept a close eye on it and spoke to them when he actually witnessed it himself).  Also sat right behind someone vaping during the ice show and right behind another person vaping in the theatre.  Seems like the late teen to mid 20's crowd were vaping all over the ship.  RCCL needs to enforce their policies much tighter

Agreed.  I do not feel it should be my job to have to tell RCCL employees to do their job properly and enforce these rules.  On land there are penalties for smoking/vaping outside of designated areas.  The ships need to do the same.

I agree but in all the times I've asked a smoker or vaper to please do so elsewhere I have never gotten a pleasant response and I've asked nicely!  Not to mention the horrible tragedy in NY last week or so when a family was mowed down because the father asked the smoker to stop blowing smoke in his family's faces.  Now we don't know how he asked or anything else like that but still, it would make me second guess asking someone to stop though I probably still will if I see someone on the ship and am directly affected.

3 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

I send you my deepest condolences on the loss of your husband.  I hope that you can find some relief from your COPD.

Thank you Carole.  Four and a half year battle and the cancer won.  I will be burying him at sea from a Royal cruise sometime in the future.  Thanks to Clarea (Bob) for supplying the information for contact at Royal.  Sad part is I lost my cruising partner of 36 cruises with 12 on Royal.

While they say "no vaping" in the cabin, no one will know unless they see you doing it.  Vape vapor dissipates quickly and very few leave a lingering scent.....

It's certainly NOT as bad as cigarettes...and it's not harming anyone else.   Just don't do it in public spaces unless you're in a smoking area. In your cabin, no one will ever know.  Notice I didn't say to vape on the balcony, as someone will report it.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, cb at sea said:

While they say "no vaping" in the cabin, no one will know unless they see you doing it.  Vape vapor dissipates quickly and very few leave a lingering scent.....

It's certainly NOT as bad as cigarettes...and it's not harming anyone else.   Just don't do it in public spaces unless you're in a smoking area. In your cabin, no one will ever know.  Notice I didn't say to vape on the balcony, as someone will report it.

Spoken as someone with experience. And, no - we do not know for certain that the chemicals used in e-cigarettes are not harmful. 

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Snit13 said:

Sorry for your loss.

But it is THEIR decision.   It is not up to you to justify their choice or not.

12 hours ago, cb at sea said:

How do you know?

There are NO controls on what they put in the juice.  Unless you just put water in yours, you ARE breathing some unknown chemicals.  And leaving them for others to also inhale.

16 hours ago, mac66 said:

They know what's in the water vapor. It's not second hand smoke (tar, nicotine and other toxic substances, you know, the burned stuff that actually causes cancer) however.

Again, how do you know what is in the juice?

And a quick search comes up with nicotine containing juices.  So it DOES contain some of the same things as second hand smoke.