Pinnacle 3 propsal

philbob84

I was recently reading an article about the ships that made Princess and Carnival cruise lines famous so I started digging on some of the post-WWII Holland ships. During my research, I saw how beautiful the Rotterdam was with its Green hull and gold trim. I was wondering what people thought about applying that to either the next Pinnacle class ship or repainting one of the older ships for the 150th anniversary in 2023

ALso what should the third Pinnacle be named :D

Actually HAL hulls were gray, it was Cunard in the 60’s that had several green ships.

While somewhat attractive, difficult to hide rust spots.

As for a name, I like STELLENDAM.

This was proposed for an HAL new build about 25 years ago but never used.

Actually HAL hulls were gray, it was Cunard in the 60’s that had several green ships.

While somewhat attractive, difficult to hide rust spots.

As for a name, I like STELLENDAM.

This was proposed for an HAL new build about 25 years ago but never used.

I like that....”Stella!!!”

If the new Pinnacle class have dining rooms like the K’dam does, a little gold and green can’t hurt. It might distract from the hideous decor.

Totally agree. We thought the MDR on the Koningsdam looked great on photos but were really disappointed when we walked into it. It seriously lacks atmosphere. The white theme might not be too bad but the light yellow and grey make it very boring.

I was wondering what people thought about applying that to either the next Pinnacle class ship or repainting one of the older ships for the 150th anniversary in 2023.
Only if it was temporary.
The white theme might not be too bad but the light yellow and grey make it very boring.
I think there's too much white/gray/black/chrome all over the ship.

Only if it was temporary.[/font][/color]

I think there's too much white/gray/black/chrome all over the ship.

First they changed the flag from the "Dutch Orange" to the current blue/,then for no discernible reason, the new ' command' took away the long honored HAL logo.......... Can we please keep the beautiful blue hulls? It isn't 'broke' why fix it? No reason go change the hulls, iMO> Waste of money, They, I would guess have not ye changed the logo on all of the funnels, what a waste of money.

I have an orange tender flag . It was a gift and I enjoy having it. I also have a a large blue top of the shipt flag. and love having that. :)

Edited by sail7seas

As to a name for Pinnacle 3, I prefer Ryndam or as a second choice, Nieuw Ryndam. That way Pinnacle 2 and 3 will honor Statendam and Ryndam, two of the S Class vessels HAL should not have removed from the fleet.

Only if it was temporary.[/font][/color] I think there's too much white/gray/black/chrome all over the ship.
First they changed the flag from he "Dutch Orange" to the current blue/, then for no discernible reason, the new ' command' took away the long honored HAL logo.......... Can we please keep the beautiful blue hulls? It isn't 'broke' why fix it? No reason to change the hulls, iMO> Waste of money, They, I would guess have not yet changed the logo on all of the funnels, what a waste of money. Edited by sail7seas

I was recently reading an article about the ships that made Princess and Carnival cruise lines famous so I started digging on some of the post-WWII Holland ships. During my research, I saw how beautiful the Rotterdam was with its Green hull and gold trim. I was wondering what people thought about applying that to either the next Pinnacle class ship or repainting one of the older ships for the 150th anniversary in 2023

The new Pinnacle Class ships are boxy enough. It they painted her in the original gray hull color scheme, she might get confused for a container ship.

As to a name for Pinnacle 3, I prefer Ryndam or as a second choice, Nieuw Ryndam. That way Pinnacle 2 and 3 will honor Statendam and Ryndam, two of the S Class vessels HAL should not have removed from the fleet.
I think two Nieuws is too many, never mind three! Just make it Ryndam IV (or whatever the number would be).

Apparently some people feel so strongly about this they have to repeat themselves.

Anyhow..

I've only been cruising with HAL for a few years..Kinda agree that "Niew"(insert name of ship here) has been overused-not that I don't love the Niew Amsterdam-I do-but surely there's other options?

Regarding the logo/funnel/hull and any repainting - when the ships go in for drydocking almost all exterior areas that cannot be repainted while in service will get stripped/painted while in Drydock. It is normal maintenance and required to keep the ship from rusting away to nothing in the sea and salt air .....

I know many do not like the change the new logo represents, but as each ship goes in for normal drydocking it will get repainted. The old ones got repainted when they went in as well .... old or new - the $ to do it will be spent .....

Regarding the logo/funnel/hull and any repainting - when the ships go in for drydocking almost all exterior areas that cannot be repainted while in service will get stripped/painted while in Drydock. It is normal maintenance and required to keep the ship from rusting away to nothing in the sea and salt air .....

I know many do not like the change the new logo represents, but as each ship goes in for normal drydocking it will get repainted. The old ones got repainted when they went in as well .... old or new - the $ to do it will be spent .....

The new logo is a reminder that HAL is under the dictatorship of Orlando Ashford[/sarcasm] :D

The best HAL can do is to do upkeep on their ships(to the best of their ability-though they hopefully won't do it the way that Norwegian did..that was a disaster.)

I'm open minded about HAL's new ships but..that being said I've been on the same ship several times and feel very comfortable with them.

While familiarity brings comfort, and can be great for some's comfort zone.

Time stops for no man.

Stagnation results in failure.

While I, too, might question the leadership and ideas of Mr. Ashford. (trying to convey any due respect)

That does not mean that I think any change, or additions, or updating would be a good thing.

Even Princess is slowly and steadily moving forward.

If HAL does not, then they may find this to be a huge mistake when they lose their current cruise base to inevitable attrition.

Any company must be aware of what their base clientele comes back for again and again, as well as look forward to developing and future clientele. Change what is appropriate and add what is desirable, but like one person just said, if there are things that aren't broke, don't mess with them!

And, change should not mean losing a company's clear 'identity'.

Unfortunately, with the Nieuw Statendam, and any further new-builds... And, also with the future of cruising with HAL and some other mid-level lines in general. Many of the changes are NOT for the good. Most decisions and changes seem to be with the future of the financial bottom line as the ONLY compass. Without a lot of clear thinking thru, and bringing the the best and most talented designers and planners. the finished deck-plans and photos of the completed Nieuw Statendam could be very, very, telling.

PS: I am glad to hear that others, who have actually been in that MDR in person, seem to have the same opinion of the design/decor as I have come to based on all of the photos.

Edited by Wishing on a star

Having-I'm so sorry-so many long tern customers stuck in the past is a issue for Holland America.They want to try and please everyone but if they keep going like they're going,they're not going to be relevant much longer.

Holland America is a company that has been operating for a long time;but it's firmly in the 21st Century..not the 19th.

The Koningsdam has a gorgeous decor, especially her MDR. At least she does not look like a cheap and faded retirement facility. And to be even more politically incorrect, let me state that for us Europeans, even Koningsdam has a very classic interiour decoration.

PS: I am glad to hear that others, who have actually been in that MDR in person, seem to have the same opinion of the design/decor as I have come to based on all of the photos.

I thought the MDR on K'dam was nice, and very refreshing from their typical dark designs.