Smart Casual.

Please define SMART CASUAL.

I find this term very difficult to understand.

For me, it is ...long trousers with short sleeved shirt/ polo shirt with closed toe shoes or sandals ( no flip flops) for men.

Long ( beach type) floaty dress, either linen or similar knee length dress or linen trousers and top, with wedge/ heeled sandals for ladies.

For me, it is ...long trousers with short sleeved shirt/ polo shirt with closed toe shoes or sandals ( no flip flops) for men.

Long ( beach type) floaty dress, either linen or similar knee length dress or linen trousers and top, with wedge/ heeled sandals for ladies.

It depends which part of the world you come from!

Everybody understands formal (or should) but smart casual means different things to say, for example, Brits, Americans, Canadians or Australians.

Basically, us Brits will be smarter than the next country and so on. (Just my personal experience of observing various nationalities on cruise ships)

What smart casual isn’t is scruffy jeans, jogging pants, and tee shirts. And definitely no baseball caps in MDR, or any restaurant for that matter!

I appreciate that everyone will have their own ideas of the definition of smart casual, and sadly some of these will assume it still allows them to “dumb down” the cruise lines definition because it simply suits them.

The biggest problem is that staff don’t seem to want to refuse entry to MDRs in case they offend a passenger. What they have to understand is that the majority of us are offended by the scruffiness of the few!!!

Rant over.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Think along the lines of attire you would choose to wear to a NICE restaurant for a special occasion lunch, rather than what you'd be inclined to wear for a quick stop at McDonalds.

... What they have to understand is that the majority of us are offended by the scruffiness of the few!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I disagree. I think that the majority of us may dress within the guidelines, but we really don't concern ourselves with what others choose to wear. We mind our own business.

Please define SMART CASUAL...

For me, it is ...long trousers with short sleeved shirt/ polo shirt with closed toe shoes or sandals ( no flip flops) for men...

I would agree with the above.

That would be my guess except for the floaty dresses unless you like them ;)

I usually wear dress slacks not necessarily linen with a nice top & flat dress sandals

My husband and I are certainly offended by others scruffiness. Regarding formal nights for instance, which I know is off topic, on every cruise we have been on, mostly in the US, we have carried the usual formal wear (DJ etc) in our luggage on planes. On the last cruise, the passengers (one man in particular) looked like they had just come in from doing the gardening! Unfortunately they were sat at the table next to ours and there were no tables we could move to.

One's own opinion of which specific articles of clothing constitute "Smart Casual" is not really relevant as each cruise line publishes their own suggestions as to their definition.

The concept of "Smart Casual" is really what needs to be better elucidated. To me it is dressing appropriately for dinner at a restaurant that is by no means formal (outside of nights designated as so by the ship) but is a clear step up from Crapplebee's or The Olive Garbage. The point at which the various mainstream cruise lines surrendered to the passengers who feel that dining on a cruise ship is no better than at a family-oriented national chain--and that dress and deportment in the MDRs on board need not be any better than shoreside--is precisely when dress codes, along with the MDR experience in general, went south.

The very first time I saw/heard the term "Smart Casual" was in Bermuda some while ago - long while ago. We visit there regularly and when we first started going (in 1969) nearly EVERY restaurant required jacket, tie and dress shirt for men - at the very least - with appropriate equal for women. Suits were not uncommon even in the summer - although often you would see men dressed in a jacket, tie and dress shirt with the traditional Bermuda shorts worn with knee socks and black dress shoes. Women were nearly always in a dress.

I forget exactly when - it had to be at least 10 years ago if not more - many restaurants dropped the tie requirement, but kept the jacket one. A few years after that, we started seeing dress mentioned in restaurant ads as "smart casual." A bit of experimenting and exploration, led us to learn that they meant, ties and jackets were optional, but a dress shirt, with dress pants was required for men, and ladies in equal styles. When we first started going there I always wore a dress or a skirt, as the dress codes began to change, pants and a nice blouse or knit top were accepted. I adapted.

So our definition of "Smart Casual," comes from the Bermuda definition - which today in most cases means a shirt with a collar for men and a nice pair of pants - jeans in many cases are fine if they are darker denim and not well-worn or torn. I wear pants - usually black or white - and a knit top, or a wrinkle free blouse that travels well.

We've decided that the cruise ships mean pretty much the same thing, as Bermuda does today. My husband wears a shirt with a collar - usually a polo and Docker-type pants - he usually wears dark sneaker type shoes. They aren't actually sneakers, but they look more like sneakers than dress shoes. I wear the same thing I wear in Bermuda or to nicer local restaurants in the warmer weather - black or white pants, a knit top or blouse (never anything that has to be ironed). Lately I've bought a few of those wrinkled on purpose long cotton skirts for a change up. They pack well and are comfy. I wear low heeled or flat sandals - and yes, I wear dressy flip-flops. I'm wearing long pants - not crops - or a long skirt. Don't look at my feet :) They will shortly be under the table.

Frankly, I do not see the issue between sandals and fancy flip flops (not the rubber shower/beach ones). I recently saw a cute pair of shoes in Marshall's. They had the between the toes piece and were more a triangle than just 2 straps coming up from it. They were all bejeweled and I love the bling. I thought they were flip flops, but I when I picked them up, I saw that they have 1 very thin strap that goes around behind my heel. They are not flip flops; they are sandals, but when I'm wearing my pants or skirt, you can only see the toes. Is that strap really so important that so many people get their knickers in a knot over footwear and a strap?

Sorry - I wear what my feet are happy in. I think they look nice - and mine ALWAYS have bling. This gal goes nowhere without a little bling.

Now to throw a spanner (monkey wrench, but I like the British spanner better!) into the works! Viking dress code calls for "Elegant Casual," and those of us who sail with them are still trying to figure that oxymoron out!

The best answer is published by the cruise line you are cruising with.

This works for cruises to warm-weather locations but not necessarily for those headed to areas where it's cooler. Not all cruises are Caribbean....

Think along the lines of attire you would choose to wear to a NICE restaurant for a special occasion lunch, rather than what you'd be inclined to wear for a quick stop at McDonalds.

Even that doesn't do it. Some parts of the country (USA, can't speak to other countries) are way more casual than others. I grew up in California, but moved to the east (MD, VA, New England) when I joined the Navy. Stayed in the east after my enlistment. When I returned to California after 10+ years, my friends from back n the day had to break me of the habit of being required to wear a collared shirt and sports coat for dinner out; they'r just not required here unless you go to a really top-tier restaurant.

I live in Idaho, so my "dressed up" is everybody else's "smart casual." Nice black pants, nice top, good shoes (For travel, I stick with black leather flats I can also use for daytime walking. At home I'll wear heels at times.) makeup, pretty scarf, nice jewelry. That is the expected dress in the very best restaurant in Boise.

When we get to "formal", I am completely out of my depth. I've lived in California, Washington state, and Idaho --- none of those places are formal, in the best venues. Because I know I would never again use a formal gown for anything in my regular life, I opt out of Formal Night, and eat in other venues.

I check the cruise line recommendations, but barring that this is my though of smart casual:

Non-jeans or sneakers, full length pants (possibly Bermuda shorts), probably no tie. Dress like you (or parents/grandparents) would have worn to a wedding, funeral, or church service in the 80's (since many today are much more casual).

That's what my husband wears for Smart Casual on Princess ships.

It simply means look nice...that's all. No sport shorts, cut-offs, or booty shorts...no rubber/plastic flip flops....no t-shirts, especially with "logo" of any kind or "messages". That's about it.

I agree with most of these. Here in Fort Worth though, in all restaurants, including the top ones, it is fine for a man to wear jeans and boots with his sport coat and tie. I would not apply that to other areas of the country or a cruise ship for "smart casual."

Smart casual to me means 'look like you have made an effort'. This can be varying in many countries and although many think Europeans are the most dressed up to us its about wearing things well and wearing classic pieces. The French are masters at looking effortlessly chic.

Therefore clothes that are not scruffy but also no sports wear. You should look like you are going to a general restaurant that is not a chain. Note this means somewhere better than Nandos, Olive Garden or the like.

For me that is dresses and skirts on the casual/soft fabric end with my hair and make up done just above day wear. Maybe a bit more jewellery. Possibly some leggings/tight trousers and a nice dress or top.

For my husband its some non formal trousers in good order or dark jeans and cotton shirt or long sleeved top.

That was actually the point of the post.

Looking for opinions on what SMART CASUAL is !!

But your opening post asked for the DEFINITION of Smart Casual, not our individual opinions. Which is why I and several others responded that each cruise line defines it for you (in their own way).

Though many posts have certainly been editorially embellushed...

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

P&O had three dress codes- Formal, Smart Casual and Informal.

Smart Casual meant men wearing a jacket over a shirt, but not necessarily with a tie. Women were to be in a dress or smart trousers.

This has now changed to just Formal (when most people wear dinner jackets/kilt/uniform, and women wear evening or cocktail gowns/trousers), and informal.

A man not wearing a jacket would be guided to the buffet on smart casual night.

Thanks for the interesting answers.

It looks as if SMART CASUAL means different things to different people..as reflected in comments here and what is worn on cruise ships.

Though many posts have certainly been editorially embellushed...

Not sure what you are implying.

That was actually the point of the post.

Looking for opinions on what SMART CASUAL is !!

Ok then. It's casual, but not what I wear to the gym and not what I wear gardening. Can be long pants or capris, a nice t-shirt or polo shirt or blouse, a summer dress, a nice sweater, a pashmina. No stains, no rips, no Darth Vader or metal band logos. Leather sandals but no flip-flops.