What's your main reason(s) for taking a cruise?

voljeep

for us, one of the main reasons is instead of us taking care of other people in our jobs/life, we get a rare chance to getaway and be taken care of ourselves..

of course, seeing new places / excursions is all part of it too...;p

but being onboard, mostly disconnecting, not having to drive the ship...not "having" to be anywhere at a certain time, unless we choose to...always coming back to a refreshed room...fresh fruits...salads...cheeses...

a nice glass of wine...

ahhhhhhhhhh...

My "Main Reason". Simple. It has been a wish of my Wife's for the entirety of our marriage. Now that we are retired, she is getting her wish. She get's to go on a Cruise and see the coast of Alaska. Yet another one of the items on her "bucket list" taken care of.

1) food. Unlimited food. Food so good, I could literally lick my fingers (but my mom raised me better than that). Great food cooked by somebody else. Cleanup done by somebody else. Yes, I am a glutton.

2) sunny, warm weather, beautiful beaches, swimming in the ocean in cold, yucky November (we only go to the Caribbean).

Main reason for taking a cruise:

There are many reasons: adventure, relaxation, tasting someone else's cooking, watching someone else change the sheets on the bed, having breakfast delivered in the morning, getting our steps in while looking out to the sea and listening to music, good nights sleep, entertainment, meeting new people and so much more.

One happy cruiser!! :hearteyes:

It’s the ultimate vacation. You don’t have to make your bed, cook, do dishes, or anything else considered work. I also get to eat 3 meals a day with my wife, something that we can’t do in real life due to our work schedules.

Sent from my iPhone while I probably should be working.

Relax and see the world

Ditto. Doing it easily where the room stays the same but the destination is always different. Great way to see the world easily without the fuss. If you don't like a port, don't go back or stay on board. When you discover a place that you love, find a way to make that the end of a cruise or the start point (where possible).

To have a zen experience; to decompress; to have no demands placed on my time.

If I seriously want to explore a different part of the world, I take a land vacation.

Edited by Stumptowngal
spelling

I traveled extensively to many parts of the world before cruising and have had many adventures. As I’ve gotten older, I just plain love being on a ship. It could go anywhere, preferably with lots of sea days. I like visiting new places and revisiting where I’ve been before. Meeting new people and seeing old friends on a ship makes it fun. Unpacking only once makes a cruise a great way to travel.

after i read the title of this thread my first thought was exactly the same as the op's: after spending my life caring for others, its so nice to be looked after! i also like to visit other parts of the world for their long histories and also because its a great reminder to not take for granted what i have and where i live.

I am not actually the biggest 'Cruise' person.

I would usually much rather find a great land-based resort.

We do love being on the sea!

DH enjoys cruising, because, hey, it is his butt who has to get us around everywhere, pull out the old wallet every few hours, haul around our luggage, etc. Hahahaha!!!!

We did Alaska, because, well, what better way to see the Glaciers and Alaska than by a Princess cruise!

We are so looking forward to our next cruise on the Regal, because I have always thought I would really really love this ship!

And, it is the whole 'getaway' thing. Drinks Package, and all. As mentioned about being 'cruise people', we don't have to participate in all of the traditional cruise stuff, like fixed seating at a big table, the organized activities, etc.

We are considering one more future Mediterranean cruise. Italy and Greece.

Our comfort-zone now is such that we would do this kind of international travel from a familiar North American geared cruise!

Because I am not seeing the newer ships, and the itinerary on Princess. We are considering the HAL new-build, for next year.

I know, I know, I am beginning to hear people say what I have been thinking... It isn't Princess. But, I think it will be really good for Europe!

Being at sea on a ship, is number one, and to relax and unplug.

And as other people have said , a cruise is the only holiday we have had, where there is no cooking, cleaning, laundry, no house work or driving. Somebody does almost everything for you.

Also you get to meet different people, as well as different place....

And just getting on the ship, knowing it will be home for the next 13 days.

181 day to next cruise

Cheers Don

We go on Caribbean cruises to escape the cold of Massachusetts. We go on other cruises to see the world.

That's us, only for Nebraska. We love the sights in the Caribbean too, but after several dozen cruises there, it's mostly about the weather.

I like not having to pack and unpack as we do when touring from place to place on a land vacation, and not having to find places to eat--although that can be fun.

Seeing exotic places is another reason we cruise; plus the prices are usually better than a land vacation.

I also shut my phone off and enjoy myself. I love to spend a week or more being taken care of - I also love the different ports and most of all the warm carribean! My DH enjoys getting off of the icy MT roads and relaxing. We both enjoy the food and adult beverages too.