What's your main reason(s) for taking a cruise?

voljeep

To Escape Completely. :D

Wonder why Princess stopped to use Escape Completely (BTW, does come back new mean back home new and refreshed?), I love it. It truly described our feeling of taking a cruise: the ship is a nice resort and we can relax onboard, food, lodging, transportation, entertainment, are all arranged. Than we can see the world, no need to pack unpack, catch a flight, checkin a hotel, after a full day excursion, come back knowing what to expect.

Agree with all points, especially the fact that the Hotel goes with you. We cruise with another couple and find it very relaxing. Can't quite put into words, but we enjoy the 'ship experience', the way the staff works hard to make us happy, smiling faces etc. and meeting new people at dinner - 'always happy to share'

With challenging internet speeds its the only time where I'm truly "away" from work so I can utterly relax and do as much or little as I please. Love the timeless feel of sitting on the balcony and hearing that hiss of waives against the hull on a sea day, and familiar feel of coming home when I'm on board. Trivia and talking to other cruisers. Watching people returning to the ship after a day ashore (and the running of the strays when we're ready to depart). and really love early mornings getting coffee and ambling while most people are still sleeping. Oh, and then there are the ports...

To see the world (without having to pack and unpack every day).

Can't say it is to escape the cold or we would not have been in Vladivostok in February on a Princess cruise. (Can also verify that the crowds are non-existent on the Great Wall of China in February.)

I traveled extensively to many parts of the world before cruising and have had many adventures. As I’ve gotten older, I just plain love being on a ship. It could go anywhere, preferably with lots of sea days. I like visiting new places and revisiting where I’ve been before. Meeting new people and seeing old friends on a ship makes it fun. Unpacking only once makes a cruise a great way to travel.

Pam, I couldn’t have said it any better. (y)

Tony

I took lots of cruises when I was a young man but my wife couldn't cruise with me. The Navy wouldn't allow us to take wives on our submarine patrols :(. After all those cruises I said I would never take another cruise and I didn't for 30 years. Then my wife said she wanted to try a cruise to Alaska on which some friends had invited us to join them. That was 16 years and 34 cruises ago. We love cruising for all the reasons others have mentioned. The seven cruises we now have booked for the future plus the five more we will book next week proves that we are not coming close to getting burned out on cruising.

That's us, only for Nebraska. We love the sights in the Caribbean too, but after several dozen cruises there, it's mostly about the weather.

I like not having to pack and unpack as we do when touring from place to place on a land vacation, and not having to find places to eat--although that can be fun.

Seeing exotic places is another reason we cruise; plus the prices are usually better than a land vacation.

Us, too, NebrCruiser! Hello from Polk County!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For all of the reasons set forth above -- in particular unpacking and packing only once, and waking up to a new port without having to deal with rental cars, buses or trains -- and a special Princess specific reason: the gingerbread house contest on Holiday cruises!

Once we discovered the amusingly competitive world of gingerbread house building, celebrating Xmas on board a Princess ship became our family tradition. We haven't won but not for trying: the icing nozzles and sprinkles go into the suitcase before my swimsuits. Some day we'll win. Until then, gingerbread soufflé on Dec 25th -- only available on that day -- will console us until the next year.

For us it is a true disconnection from our everyday and seeing the world. When we get on the ship our phones go in the safe and work knows that I am not available due to our VPN not allowing a feature called split tunneling which kills the connection to the billing server on the ship. This then kills the VPN connection to my work. I literally cannot work while at sea.

This is also why we like the 14+ day itineraries. :)

for us, one of the main reasons is instead of us taking care of other people in our jobs/life, we get a rare chance to getaway and be taken care of ourselves..

of course, seeing new places / excursions is all part of it too...;p

but being onboard, mostly disconnecting, not having to drive the ship...not "having" to be anywhere at a certain time, unless we choose to...always coming back to a refreshed room...fresh fruits...salads...cheeses...

a nice glass of wine...

ahhhhhhhhhh...

We primarily take cruises between Dec and Feb to get out of the cold weather.

I am destination-oriented, so my main reason is to visit several places on my bucket list. Also, to sample several islands and then if we love one in particular, someday maybe we can go there and spend a week!

My husband's main reason is the sea days.

A complete break from life.

My other trips are land trips and full of exploring - a cruise is when I want to do nothing but be taken care of. It's almost like being a kid again where the adults take care of everything - the food, the transport, the activities, everything is just there for you, and you just get to play and eat and enjoy.