No more refundable deposits?

Think about it as what happens now with airline tickets. Non-refundable, big change fees, and no price drops.

Except people fly for the most part because they have to in order to get from where they are to where they want to be. Airlines deal in transportation and cruise lines deal in the vacation industry where people spend their disposable income. No one has to take a cruise and those CEOs should keep that in mind, and especially so if they like having cabins sold over a year before the sailing ever occurs.

The nonrefundable deposits and never ending bogus BOGO sales are driving me to other cruise lines that offer real sales and refundable deposits. We have enjoyed our Royal Caribbean cruises, but they are making it so difficult and expensive to book a cruise, I'm not sure when our next RCI cruise will be, if ever! But then, we are repeat customers, so they don't seem interested in our business anyway. Feeling cynical today.

So after they get rid of refundable deposits completely will eligibility for price drops be next? I foresee RCI forcing a re-booking to get a price drop which, of course, will then cause the forfeiting of the non-refundable deposit.

RCCL is already forcing a complete re booking for any cruises booked from Australia if a price drop is requested. The saving made is usually less than the non refundable deposit forfeited so a re fare is not viable. The cheaper non refundable option may look attractive but beware the limitations.

• 2 months later...

We were seriously looking at a New England cruise in November 2019, until I found out about the non refundable deposits. Sorry Royal you are not the only line running this itinerary. We will book with someone else.

They designed it to be a pain. They probably figure more people will book non-refundable this way.

I see it as a trap as well. Especially in the case of a new cruiser or someone who is new to Royal Caribbean. They probably don't even realize that it's a non refundable deposit until it's too late.

I see it as a trap as well. Especially in the case of a new cruiser or someone who is new to Royal Caribbean. They probably don't even realize that it's a non refundable deposit until it's too late.

If you proceed with a booking online it's very obvious there's a refundable option - listed in plain sight as a choice along with prepaid gratuities, insurance, etc. For now at least........

We were seriously looking at a New England cruise in November 2019, until I found out about the non refundable deposits. Sorry Royal you are not the only line running this itinerary. We will book with someone else.

I don't see any cruise lines doing Canada/New England cruises in November 2019.:confused:

Bill

Most of the other mainstream lines are going the non refundable route as well, you can always choose a refundable fare, it’s just a little more expensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Non refundables...saw it coming.

Cruise lines know there is a 'HUGE CABIN OVER SUPPLY' coming.

They are their own worst enemies, ha (some credit to MSC, NCL recently here).

Pencil pushers (algorithm theorists) are trying to lock everybody down...early.

Some of us locals (no-fly, retired, anytime cruisers) are always ready to scoop

up last-minute-price-war-reduction$.....but we'll see.

Some Coco cruises in Sept have hundreds of cabins available....

of course Sept is back to school time....but it is interesting to watch

and see if Royal is willing to sail with hundreds of empty cabins

...we'll see what happens.

Carnival stock looks a better long term value....

Edited by Rocket3D

Most of the other mainstream lines are going the non refundable route as well, you can always choose a refundable fare, it’s just a little more expensive.

With Carnival's Early Saver, you can get price drops up to two days before cruising. If Royal offered that feature with its nonrefundable option, I could see the value. Right now, it is all in Royal's favor.

I think out of all the cruises I’ve booked ,I have never had to cancel one , did have to switch weeks on one once , so I don’t sweat the non refundable deposit , I think they did this to eliminate some of the canceling on the day before full payment date comes up

Sent from my iPad using Forums

With Carnival's Early Saver, you can get price drops up to two days before cruising. If Royal offered that feature with its nonrefundable option, I could see the value. Right now, it is all in Royal's favor.

I see your point there. If the discounted fare and OBC offered for a non refundable deposit isn’t worth it, I just book refundable.

If I can save $300 on a fare plus get $100 OBC all for gambling on losing $100 deposit, I’ll generally take that bet.

And if you book past guest rates that are fully refundable but don't get the price drops after final payment date it is only $20 more pp than the early saver rate.

Bill

Totally agree, I'd consider it if they would do the price drops after final payment date, gave the full balcony discount, and stopped doing the "instant discount" BS that further diminishes the balcony discount.

• 2 months later...

I just learned YESTERDAY from my TA that the change takes place tomorrow (11/1/18). This may force us to make a deposit on a fully refundable deposit cruise knowing we can cancel at no fee. I will not use agencies that charge there own $100 fee - like VTG and Crucon). Also I see folks who posted are going through their booking on line to find out refundable vs non refundable price. Why? If you use an on line agent (or Cruise Compete), they will email you the options. They also talk on the phone. In my experience it NEVER pays to book with a Cruise Line direct. JMHO

5 minutes ago, SteveinPhilly said:

I just learned YESTERDAY from my TA that the change takes place tomorrow (11/1/18). This may force us to make a deposit on a fully refundable deposit cruise knowing we can cancel at no fee. I will not use agencies that charge there own $100 fee - like VTG and Crucon). Also I see folks who posted are going through their booking on line to find out refundable vs non refundable price. Why? If you use an on line agent (or Cruise Compete), they will email you the options. They also talk on the phone. In my experience it NEVER pays to book with a Cruise Line direct. JMHO

What change takes place tomorrow??