Need some perspective

Trying to decide how much to let something bother me and would really appreciate some perspective...

To lay the background, let me say that my kids and I are AVID Flowrider fans. It really is the reason that's kept us coming back to Royal for multiple cruises. We've talked about switching to other lines to try something new, but every time we discuss it with the kids the question always comes up...does the ship have a Flowrider? Sometimes it's hard to find something that EVERYONE really likes to do together on a cruise; but this is it.

In 2015 we sailed on Oasis as a family. We boarded the ship only to find the starboard Flowrider was broken and not running. We were told all week that "they're working on it", but the pump failure was never repaired and we went the whole week without it ever coming back online. Now Oasis has 2 Flowriders so it wasn't like we were without the ability to do it, but Oasis' 6000 passengers put a real demand on a single Flowrider and the lines for that one Flowrider were so unbearably long that we just quit doing it. At the time we told ourselves that Oasis was getting to be an older ship and that these kinds of things were probably getting more likely to happen.

Last week we sailed on Harmony. We picked that ship primarily for 2 reasons; it has a Flowrider, and that fact that it's new meant that there should be no problem with both Flowriders being usable. We were wrong. While the starboard side Flowrider was working at sail-away, by the next morning it was broken. Claim was a pump failure. We heard all week that "they're working on it", but it never came back. Once again the lines for the other Flowrider were so long that we just gave up on using it.

Now here's where I'd appreciate your perspectives. I get that Royal can't control things like the weather and that sometimes there are things like that that are beyond their control that cause things like inability to tender or altered itineraries...I can accept that. But the attitude last week was much like that offered for things like weather..."sorry, there's nothing we can do about it". Now I get that there probably is nothing that the guy working the Flowrider can probably do about it, but things like maintenance and repair ARE something that Royal can control. After all, this ship is only a year old and Royal is unable to get it back online for the entire cruise.

I've now spent a great deal of money, on 2 cruises for the express intent of spending time with my kids doing something we really love; the Flowrider. And both times Royal's response has been "oh well, there's nothing we can do about it".

Should there be something they can do about it? Please give me your perspective. This is really bothering me that I've now spent over $10,000, on 2 different cruises, where the one things we really went to do was never available because of something that I think Royal CAN control. Am I making too much of it?

ATCMickey

Sorry that weren't able to enjoy it. Maybe they didn't have a part or were trying to manufacture it. Ships run every day, week, year. Lot of wear. Not much can be done, as you said happens... You get on a ship with no guarantees will go to ports you want, weather, maintenance issues...

my perspective is that it sounds like you have some bad luck and RCI does too. They should have things up and running and fixed in timely manner.

It think RCI wants to be the biggest bad boy on the sea, but I too would be angry at having broken flowrider. You did not say if on either trip the flowrider ever got fixed at all.

I bet the bars are plenty stocked though! oh yes they money making machine is in full gear. And let us not forget the stupid sales that clog the Promenade inside. Yes I feel you pain and also wonder what is up with RCI these days too.

Ugh! How frustrating!

Out of curiosity, have you sought out flow rider venues on land? They have them all across the US. Doesn’t fix your frustration but perhaps a cheaper way to enjoy what you love doing without paying for a cruise to get it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I agree with you that things like this should be in working order barring some unforeseen emergency. But if these pumps are going down routinely, they should have spares on hand that can be popped in or they should address the reason that they keep breaking. I would be bummed also if that was something I was really looking forward to doing. However, I have very low expectations and would not book a vacation on a cruise ship just to do one thing.

If there’s one thing that I’ve learned in 35+ years of cruising is that “ship” happens, and that I need to go on a cruise with the clear understanding that I shouldn’t let one thing ruin it, even if it was the one thing I was most looking forward to.

In my humble opinion, if your main reason to sail on these ships has been to use a flowrider, there are places you can go to on land where you’ll spend a lot less than $10K for that privilege.If you still had a great time on your cruise without the flowrider, then that should provide you with the perspective that you’re looking for.

Well I don’t know if you’re going to like it but my “perspective” is, anything can go wrong and having that much riding on one amenity is a risk for massive disappointment. If you went on Oasis for the aqua theatre show and it was canceled due to rough seas, the vacation is ruined.

So this situation could apply to any detail of the trip. If you are going for one reason only and it doesn’t work out, you are in trouble. Travel is rarely perfect and people who post super happy reviews do not necessarily have perfect cruises but rather are just happy in spite of such mishaps.

You said you considered other options and are only choosing for the Flowrider and yet it’s repeatedly unavailable.

You are not going to get any compensation but it’s obviously time to move on to other ships.

Those Oasis class ships are still incredible so I hope you feel you got some value out of your trip.

Out of curiosity, have you sought out flow rider venues on land? They have them all across the US.

my thoughts as well. dont take this the wrong way but if you're putting such a large expectation on what appears to be the overall key factor for your vacation enjoyment, I would recommend one of the multiple places that have them on land and specialize in flow riding such as a surf park. with that being the business' key form of income, you would have a much better chance of success not to mention the greater possibility for a park refund if there are issues.

I would imagine that they don’t keep all the replacement parts on board and sometimes will need to wait for a part. Same thing happens at amusement parks when a chain lift breaks or a brake fin gets damaged.

Now this is just my opinion and I really don’t mean any offense by it but I personally wouldn’t book a cruise, or any trip, that is that expensive for one specific thing. I would echo the other poster who said to look for Flowriders on land.

Ugh! How frustrating!

Out of curiosity, have you sought out flow rider venues on land? They have them all across the US. Doesn’t fix your frustration but perhaps a cheaper way to enjoy what you love doing without paying for a cruise to get it.

I had this thought too. At the waterpark we go to most frequently it almost never has a line and when it does it isn't usually very long.

Unfortunaly repairing a Flowrider OR Flowrider manitenance in general is nothing that is high on the list of RCI.

The Flowrider on Indy has been on and off broken ( pump not balancing properly causing limited use during higher seas) for month if not years.....hope they finally fixed the pump problem during drydock!:rolleyes:

So unless the ship just had a drydock you might run into these problems again....

I know that you probably don't want to shell out more, but if that was the main piece, I would definitely look at either the private or semi-private lessons they offer if one is down. Will guarantee at least some dedicated time to use it.

After working on Jet Fighters most of my life...Things break. After awhile you learn what parts tend to fail most and if you can...You keep these parts on hand. But unfortunately you can’t have every part you might need on hand and can’t get it deliver in the middle of a cruise. I think you may of just had some bad luck and if the Flow Rider is that important to your family...Keep trying or book a water park with a flow rider

Sent from my iPad using Forums

There are many great comments on this and I agree with a lot, but the point that is missing is how the staff handles these problems. When the staff are on these ships week after week, a maintenance issue is a daily thing and it isn’t a big deal to them. To me I would appreciate someone who would take a minute to understand the years of saving and planning that go into trying to have a one time wonderful vacation for your family. Yes, you get over it, but it’s a lot easier when there is respect and empathy for the disappointment being experienced.

I've been on 3 cruises now with Flowriders. Liberty, Oasis, and Allure and havent experienced them breaking down. I'm thinking you might have had bad luck twice, and I understand you questioning if this is common. Just like McDonalds ice cream machine "breaking down" when you do that late night ice cream run. (That's a conspiracy of mine)

Perspective is this..if my kids were bent out of shape about the flowrider not working, I'd tell them that "ship" happens, but seriously there are 100 other things that is spectacular about this cruise/trip. I'd also probably do my "The closest I got to a vacation when I was your age is visiting family in Ohio", but each to their own. My youngest has wanted a slide ship since when went on Liberty and I just tell him "we pick the ship not by just slides but places, time, and $$" I'm pretty sure your kids still had a great time and really dont care. Just think..it could be worse..you could have been a cruise who got cancelled by weather,got sick while on board, or trip got cancelled by charter.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

There are many great comments on this and I agree with a lot, but the point that is missing is how the staff handles these problems. When the staff are on these ships week after week, a maintenance issue is a daily thing and it isn’t a big deal to them. To me I would appreciate someone who would take a minute to understand the years of saving and planning that go into trying to have a one time wonderful vacation for your family. Yes, you get over it, but it’s a lot easier when there is respect and empathy for the disappointment being experienced.

I agree with this completely! Empathy goes a long, long way. Those of us that have a younger family and save for that dream vacation can find it upsetting when things like this happen. Of course it’s still an amazing ship, of course ship happens...but one person seeing from your side goes a very long way.

I agree it is disappointing, especially when the staff is not helpful in explaining why something cannot be fixed. The question is whether you and your family enjoyed the cruises despite the long lines for the single operating Flowrider.

If not, then I would try another cruise line next time. There are a lot of innovative cruise ships out there now that would likely offer cool things for you and your family to experience. Or plan a land vacation with easy access to Flowriders.

If you continue to sail RC, then I would recommend a semi-private lesson early in the cruise so you and your kids can demonstrate your skills. My understanding is they usually have a reserved time for those who can stand up without assistance, and the wait time is greatly reduced. As I understand it, there is no charge for the latter, but you might have to get up early.

The OP never mentioned if they complained to guest services. The crew on the Flowrider may have done all they could, but when guest services is notified, it’s possible more can be done.

Our last cruise two of the elevators In a bank was not working. Reported to guest services and someone was working on them next day.

Just proves that you can’t assume someone has reported the issue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bet the bars are plenty stocked though!

Don't count on that.

Last cruise in Aug, Grandeur sailed with two partial bottles of cachaca. Which is used to make caipirihnas.

Bot the the liquor and the drink are listed on their drink menu.

So they ran out. And even with two port calls, failed to replenish the stock.

I would appreciate someone who would take a minute to understand the years of saving and planning that go into trying to have a one time wonderful vacation for your family. Yes, you get over it, but it’s a lot easier when there is respect and empathy for the disappointment being experienced.

I believe that anybody who has gone on a cruise, and who has experienced the disappointment of having something very important not go according to plan, can relate to how the OP is feeling. In my personal experience, I’ve had everything from canceled ports of call, canceled shows, no availability for specific restaurants, broken down equipment, down to misplaced luggage and our inability to dress up for photos in attire that my wife had painstakingly selected and purchased months in advance and instead we dressed in last minute t-shirts from Target.

But the OP asked for perspective, and I believe that the consensus has respectfully been that one thing, no matter how important it may be, shouldn’t be enough to ruin a cruise or to make someone give up on a specific ship, line, or cruising altogether. If that were not the case, most of us would’ve stopped cruising a long time ago.

We can empathize with the OP, but in my humble opinion, that doesn’t provide the perspective that the OP is seeking.