Royal adds silverseas to portfolio

They visit Dutch Harbor. [emoji16]

Trip from Seward to Tokyo this fall is $3,900 pp for 12 nights. Plus $1,000 OBC.

Cabin is about the size of a JS, but no balcony. The lowest price balcony cabins have a 'shared' balcony. [emoji33]

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

This one sounds interesting but I can't find it on any site. Where did you find it?

This one sounds interesting but I can't find it on any site. Where did you find it?
Go their website and type in Dutch Harbor in the search box.

Silver Shadow - Sept 13, 2018

https://www.silversea.com/destinations/alaska-cruise/seward-to-tokyo-3829.html

Edited by John&LaLa

Possibly a very expensive/plausible incentive to get rid of all Vision and Radiance Class ships sooner rather than later?

The nine Silversea ships were built in '89, '89, '90, '94, '95, '00, '01, '09, '17

Oldest Vision Class (Grandeur) '96

Oldest Radiance Class '01

Empress '90

Head to head with Seabourn - owned by Carnival and Regent owned by NCL.

Exactly...RCI must have felt 'left out' in this niche of the total cruise market. Silversea was really the only comparable independent product left to acquire. Star Cruises (Genting) already got Crystal. And Viking Ocean is perhaps down a notch in luxury, and seems to be doing very well expanding rapidly on its own.

If RCI follows true to form elsewhere, it will expand its inter-company loyalty reciprocity program to include Silversea. That's how to keep loyal customer's "in the fold"...

I am looking at some future polar expedition cruises, and if all else is equal among competitor's, I would choose Silversea, if they grant me my RCI Diamond level equivalent status. Carnival and NCL Holding's offer no reciprocity at all.

Exactly...RCI must have felt 'left out' in this niche of the total cruise market. Silversea was really the only comparable independent product left to acquire. Star Cruises (Genting) already got Crystal. And Viking Ocean is perhaps down a notch in luxury, and seems to be doing very well expanding rapidly on its own.

If RCI follows true to form elsewhere, it will expand its inter-company loyalty reciprocity program to include Silversea. That's how to keep loyal customer's "in the fold"...

I am looking at some future polar expedition cruises, and if all else is equal among competitor's, I would choose Silversea, if they grant me my RCI Diamond level equivalent status. Carnival and NCL Holding's offer no reciprocity at all.

What Diamond perks other than balcony discount would you expect?

How about a river line?

Edited by John&LaLa

How about a river line?

That is what I expected RCCL's next move to have been..............but they went for the Luxury market instead. Combining river itineraries with ocean cruises seemed to be a natural. Viking is already in that market positioning. Maybe Richard Branson will combine air, ocean and river cruises................Virgin territory!!!!

Royal is the parent company!

No climbing walls on Azamara or Celebrity either.:evilsmile:

So lucky to have found the TA in 2016, turned out to be £100 p.p.p.n. We won't pay more, but since then prices on Azamara have increases since the acquisition of their new ship, so even they are well out of our price range.

Yes I know Royal is the parent- it was just a little attempt at humor.

Maybe they won't let fake service dogs (aka buffy) on board Silversea ships...like RCCl does!

It may be a fine place for those that complain bitterly about declining standards in the dining attire to escape to. They won't have to mingle with anyone that isn't paying GS prices for a cabin.

How about a river line?

Good point...I guess all the 'Diamond perks' come standard to everyone on Silversea.....:)

And yes...maybe that will be RCL's next acquisition target...AMA Waterways would be a nice fit!:)

Good point...I guess all the 'Diamond perks' come standard to everyone on Silversea.....:)

And yes...maybe that will be RCL's next acquisition target...AMA Waterways would be a nice fit!:)

Why do you believe that Silversea will not continue as stand alone, as do some of the other lines in which RCL have a financial interest. There is unlikely to be any reciprocal status as they do not have a status, only a monetary reward. Early booking and previously cruised.

Why do you believe that Silversea will not continue as stand alone, as do some of the other lines in which RCL have a financial interest. There is unlikely to be any reciprocal status as they do not have a status, only a monetary reward. Early booking and previously cruised.

I finally took a look at just what they did have.... https://www.silversea.com/about-silversea/venetian-society.html

Apparently they do offer some perks for reaching different 'milestone's'...greater discounts up to and including free cruises, free laundry service, other cruise discounts, and on board events for "Venetian Society" members....

So there is something....

A very wise move on Royal's part.

We have done a lot of cruises with RC over the years reaching DP on the loyalty program but eventually we out grew RC. We wanted something a bit more personal, additional space on board, less penny pinching when on the ship. In short we wanted a cruise line where you are treated as a human being.

So we started cruising with Seabourn and have had many excellent cruises with them. Ultimately Seabourn are owned by Carnival but there are no similarities between a Seabourn and Carnival cruise other than the fact they both benefit from Carnival's immense buying power.

Now RC can do the same with Silverseas. Had they made the move earlier we would have made the progression from RC to Silverseas if they offered loyalty program benefits. We looked at Azamara but for us it wasn't special enough, cabins too small for a start.

I have to say with luxury cruising things like the loyalty program are less important as everyone enjoys the same service and onboard access to facilities. You might get free internet, laundry or a massage but there aren't specific lounges. There don't need to be because there aren't crowds to escape as there are on RC.

Well done RC and I shall keep my eye out to see how Silverseas evolves under new ownership.

Henry :)

Ultimately Seabourn are owned by Carnival but there are no similarities between a Seabourn and Carnival cruise other than the fact they both benefit from Carnival's immense buying power. Now RC can do the same with Silverseas. Had they made the move earlier we would have made the progression from RC to Silverseas if they offered loyalty program benefits. We looked at Azamara but for us it wasn't special enough, cabins too small for a start. Well done RC and I shall keep my eye out to see how Silverseas evolves under new ownership. Henry :)

Appreciate these well-reasoned comments and this follow-up from Henry. Having done five cruises with Silversea, two with Celebrity, etc., we are watching this "situation" with great interest.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 226,685 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

A very wise move on Royal's part.

We have done a lot of cruises with RC over the years reaching DP on the loyalty program but eventually we out grew RC. We wanted something a bit more personal, additional space on board, less penny pinching when on the ship. In short we wanted a cruise line where you are treated as a human being.

So we started cruising with Seabourn and have had many excellent cruises with them. Ultimately Seabourn are owned by Carnival but there are no similarities between a Seabourn and Carnival cruise other than the fact they both benefit from Carnival's immense buying power.

Now RC can do the same with Silverseas. Had they made the move earlier we would have made the progression from RC to Silverseas if they offered loyalty program benefits. We looked at Azamara but for us it wasn't special enough, cabins too small for a start.

I have to say with luxury cruising things like the loyalty program are less important as everyone enjoys the same service and onboard access to facilities. You might get free internet, laundry or a massage but there aren't specific lounges. There don't need to be because there aren't crowds to escape as there are on RC.

Well done RC and I shall keep my eye out to see how Silverseas evolves under new ownership.

Henry :)

Not 100% sure, but I'm pretty sure I've been treated as a human being on the last few cruises. My memory could be a little foggy if I go back further