A Poor Imitation Of Celebrity

OP- Sorry you have met with such ridicule and rudeness on this thread. People seem to be so invested in the reputation of RCCL that it's akin to telling them their baby is ugly when you make any critical remark.

Agreed. Brutal. I appreciate the OP's comments as his (or his wife's) impression of the ship and sailing. Positive or negative, reviews and comments are always interesting to read, whether I have had a similar experience or not. We were on Adventure a couple of years ago and had a completely different experience. But, that was us on a different sailing. We have begun cruising Celebrity more often lately and we can definitely see a difference in the little touches. For example, the cold towels available when returning from port. A nice touch that Celebrity has but Royal does not, to my recollection. The bathroom attendants that are present on Celebrity is also a bit more upscale touch. While the absence of these does not make my cruise on Royal bad in any way, Celebrity does have some extra touches that do make a difference to some people. Like the OP's wife! We will be on the Anthem in 3 weeks and I am looking forward to a new class of ship! On the same hand, I can't wait to be on the Reflection again next summer! Each ship/line has different strengths and weaknesses, but overall a great, fun vacation!

I don't think that Royal is trying to imitate Celebrity in any way, nor vice versa. They are unique and great in their own way. There are certain things that Royal did that Celebrity does and others that Celebrity should do based on my experience on Royal. Same with Carnival, who we also have cruised. There are many positives and some negatives on that line as well.

Thanks for the comments OP, happy cruising!

Calling RCI cruisers a bunch of fools as OP did is pretty rude in my book.

Very true. OP seemed also to not answer some relevant questions.

Was his wife comparing Celebrity suite to a RC regular cabin, for example. What entertainment did they attend / have always thought the ice show was something no other cruise line can compare to.

Too many things just not making a great deal of sense. Sounds like the daughter picked RC and mom would have been happier with her usual Celebrity.

I also find it strange that mom didn’t seem to make any effort to complain or rectify what she was not happy with. Have always found GS on any ship willing to help if you ask/complain in a civilized/polite way.

Was his wife comparing Celebrity suite to a RC regular cabin, for example. What entertainment did they attend / have always thought the ice show was something no other cruise line can compare to.

Too many things just not making a great deal of sense. Sounds like the daughter picked RC and mom would have been happier with her usual Celebrity.

I also find it strange that mom didn’t seem to make any effort to complain or rectify what she was not happy with. Have always found GS on any ship willing to help if you ask/complain in a civilized/polite way.

Totally agree with your comments. Bottom line, I think mom was not happy about sailng on Royal and was expecting a bad experience. She got her wish. Self fulfilling prophecy. Just to add I've sailed with Celebrity many times and find little difference between the two lines.

There are always reviews of ships that find a lot wrong. This was the OP's wife's experience, even if others have not had this experience.

One point I agree on is having to ask for robes. They used to be in the cabin on Royal Caribbean and now they are not and you have to ask for them. I guess a certain number of people never used them, so they are saving on laundry by having you ask for them.

I tend to have a lighter approach to the what I see as problems with the ship. Rust I can do nothing about, but dirty restrooms I would have complained about if it was every day and many restrooms. Otherwise, I try to enjoy the cruise I waited so long for! :)

Maybe you should have booked a suite, you never mentioned what cabin class you booked. Suites have more options for ice water, bathroom items, wet towels, bottled water. And you never did say what your daughter thought. We have sailed Celebrity and they kept us waiting on the ramp to board the ship, in Seattle, for over an hour and I had a knee replacement 2 months before. I did not have any Celebrity people come ask if I needed a place to sit down or anything else to help. If I were you, I would go back to Celebrity where you are happy.

Yes, he did. A balcony cabin.

And anyone and everyone can ask for and receive a bucket of ice twice a day in the cabin. And get glasses of ice water anywhere on the ship.

And he said that his daughter had a great time - which was really the point of the cruise, wasn't it? ;)

Agreed. Brutal.

Aw. come on. Surely you can admit that OP crossed a few lines. "inferior imitation?" It's not trying to imitate anything, and Celebrity is more expensive so it *should* be nicer. That whole line came off like the Bentley owner telling the Mercedes owner that he's too poor to afford a good car.

And honestly, I have trouble believing the no sanitizer part. Royal, like every other cruise line on the planet, is terrified that they'll be the next "poop ship" on CNN. Every cruise I've been on with them, the staff has been absolutely manic about wiping surfaces down, putting sanitizer everywhere - they even post a guy at the windjammer that yells at people who try to sneak past the 6+ sanitizers at the entrance. While I suppose it's certainly possible that one week on one ship was completely anathema to the way every other ship does it every time, it's exceedingly unlikely and I think such claims deserve a healthy dose of skepticism.

We cruise on Royal Caribbean fairly often and always see hand sanitizer available at the first card check station leading to the gangway. There is also a crew member with hand sanitizer stationed at the entrance to the Windjammer.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I have never seen a water fountain on a ship?? I do admit I have never looked for one.

Being "trapped"while waiting to catch a tender is not very believable and overly dramatic. No one forces passengers to get off the ship or to stand in line. Instead of waiting in a long line the minute the ship starts tendering, you can choose to wait in a comfortable location until the earlybirds have tendered to the island, and then get in a much shorter line that moves quickly to board the next tender.

All in all, it sounds to me like your wife's low expectations were met perfectly!

We cruise on Royal Caribbean fairly often and always see hand sanitizer available at the first card check station leading to the gangway. There is also a crew member with hand sanitizer stationed at the entrance to the Windjammer.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I have never seen a water fountain on a ship?? I do admit I have never looked for one.

Being "trapped"while waiting to catch a tender is not very believable and overly dramatic. No one forces passengers to get off the ship or to stand in line. Instead of waiting in a long line the minute the ship starts tendering, you can choose to wait in a comfortable location until the earlybirds have tendered to the island, and then get in a much shorter line that moves quickly to board the next tender.

All in all, it sounds to me like your wife's low expectations were met perfectly!

I have seen - and been in - long lines waiting for tenders. It does happen.

Yes, he did. A balcony cabin.

And anyone and everyone can ask for and receive a bucket of ice twice a day in the cabin. And get glasses of ice water anywhere on the ship.

And he said that his daughter had a great time - which was really the point of the cruise, wasn't it? ;)

I agree,it was her daughters birthday treat and surely any mam should have been happy that her daughter loved her birthday treat.

We have sailed 4 different lines since 2001. We are both Elite as well as Diamond not by reciprocity but by actual earned points on both.

Since 2001 Celebrity has changed and is in our opinion almost the same as Royal Caribbean. Maybe a few better perks but nothing that would sway us either way.

We have, except for one lazy room steward on Royal, never had a poorly kept cabin or bad service at any venue on either line.

Food on Celebrity WAS a high point in the MDR, but sorry to say it is no longer exceeding expectations like it did in the past. I rate the Buffets as actually better with a greater variety on Royal.

Both lines, actually the same company, have and are still suffering from a reduced staff EVEYWHERE.

All that being said, you can still find the current Celebrity experience on Royal, just take some time to find it. Royal has much better activities on board for those who are into being active... LOL

Robes, shower caps and other little amenities just require a request.

Sure maybe no Q-tips or cotton balls but once again not a bug thing.

Our cruise on the Summit last year was great, even though there was age some of the furniture and maybe a spot or two of rust, but that can be said of any ship that has seen a few years of service.

Now we choose based on itinerary and port of departure.

bosco

Maybe daughter should have taken a friend instead of mom

]Aw. come on. Surely you can admit that OP crossed a few lines. "inferior imitation?"[/b] It's not trying to imitate anything' date=' and Celebrity is more expensive so it *should* be nicer. That whole line came off like the Bentley owner telling the Mercedes owner that he's too poor to afford a good car.

.[/quote']

Trying to figure that one out since Royal Caribbean is 20 years older than Celebrity

Yes, indeed she was.

1/2 done in Nov. 2016

1/2 done in Feb. 2017

I sailed for 2 weeks in March and she was wonderful. :cool:

The refurbishment was in February 2018, not 2017.

We sailed on Celebrity Reflection to the Greek Isles last Summer and straws were not at issue. We’re sailing on the Reflection again on a T/A this Fall and will see for ourselves.

But you’re missing the point. Citing an ecology excuse, the crew on my wife's cruise were stingy supplying straws with soft drinks — but, inconsistently, not with alcoholic beverages. Don’t straws from an alcoholic beverage pollute the environment just as badly as those from soft drinks?

Did you read the press release? The policy has not been completely implemented yet. The straws upon request policy is slowly being implemented, and it seems that they have not done this for frozen drinks yet.

A direct quote: "That program will be taken a step further by the start of 2019, when guests requesting a straw will receive a paper straw instead of a plastic one."

Sorry, the lack of hand sanitizer is my fault. It was available everywhere early May on Adventure and apparently I used it all up.

Adventure's crew failed to hand me a glass of sparkling wine when I boarded like Millie's crew did last year, but I knew that would be the case so I suppose that isn't relevant. I'm going to mention it anyways though.

Seriously though, thanks for an entertaining read.

Funny, everything your wife complained about are the exact reasons I won’t go back on a Celebrity ship! The ship was dirty, never a clean table available near the buffet, never an empty seat near a pool, “adult only” pool had children in it, and that’s just the beginning of my list! I am looking forward to trying Adventure of the Sea next month.

By the way, Carnival had better food than Celebrity. They also did a much better behind the scenes tour as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP- Sorry you have met with such ridicule and rudeness on this thread. People seem to be so invested in the reputation of RCCL that it's akin to telling them their baby is ugly when you make any critical remark.

When someone posts something negative with support people tend to have a reasonable discussion. when someone posts a lengthy laundry list, and then insults people that disagree, the responses tend to be include a bit more ridicule and rudeness in response. In addition the OP picked a title that attacked the entire line, not just was critical of one cruise on one ship.

Responders have

1. Explained the price point and marketing position difference between the two lines since the OP titled the post a poor imitation of Celebrity. Exactly why RCCL is even trying to imitate because of the different price points and target of the two lines.

2. pointed out differences between the OP's second hand comments from his wife and their experiences on RCCL, such as the availability of sanitizer

3. Pointed out items that RCCL does not routinely provide such as towels on pier after excursions.

4. One poster pointed out that he was on the same cruise and had a different view.

When one goes through all of his items, his list of real issues comes down to 1. dirty public restrooms 2. rust on the bathroom shower door, 3. Tables not being cleaned in the buffet 4. poor handling of tendering at private island.

The other person on the same cruise (which by the way the OP was not only his wife) agreed on item 4. Disagreed on items 1 and 3. Item 2 rust on shower door and on balcony floor is one room.

The OP was certainly willing to call someone a fool for not being concerned enough over items 1, 3 and the lack of sanitizer (note the other person on the same cruise disagreed about the claim about the lack of sanitizer).

However, you appear to give him a degree of credibility that others after reading his laundry list and attitude do not.

Just as a note I just got off my first RCCL cruise in over 10 years and usually sail Princess, Celebrity and HAL so no investment in RCCL.

Edited by RDC1

I am not invested in RCCL's reputation at all, but I think OP is the rude one. He got very personal several times.