I will NEVER prebook pop up Sel de Mer again EVER - Heads up to 4 & 5* Mariners.

kazu

So far, I’ve only read to page 8, but Miss G’s post #80 really rang true to me despite BUU’s posts.
Confirmation bias is the human tendency to cherry-pick information that confirms our existing beliefs or ideas. Confirmation bias explains why two people with opposing views on a topic can see the same evidence and come away feeling validated by it. This cognitive bias is most pronounced in the case of ingrained, ideological, or emotionally charged views. CHPURSER's information is information runs counter to the presumption of relevance and importance that 4* and 5* mariners have with regard to their contribution to profit. There isn't even any objective evidence of that - just anecdotal claims - but yet they still view their status in an "emotionally charged" manner such that they deny any assertions that run counter to that self image, such as CHPURSER's information.

It gets worse, though: Given that the cruise line repeatedly implements changes that place the preferences of newer passengers over that of traditionalist passengers, those traditionalist passengers with their "ingrained" assumptions of their own importance repeatedly think that the cruise line has made "a mistake" - and that's despite the fact that such "mistakes" have happened over and over again. Confirmation bias sets those passengers up for regular, recurring disappointment.

On another note, when I happily told my church friends that I had finally booked a cruise on HAL, with a sad face from my friend, I got an extremely lackluster response about how “it’s not like it used to be.” HAL should be concerned about that. Because that will equal less $$$$.
Or it will equal more $$$$.

One or the other.

And if we take the "emotionally charged" feelings of love for what the cruise line used to mean to traditionalist cruisers - if we strip away the confirmation bias that prompts us to believe the interpretation that best fits our personal preferences - the truth becomes obvious. All mass market cruise lines are making similar changes. These changes are being brought about by the good work of professional experts whose job it is to actually research the best path forward, gather objective evidence that that is the best path, and then design that path so it is indeed the best path forward for the owners. The cruise lines are all making similar changes to appeal to a different set of customers. RCL and CCL and the others majors are making incredible amounts of money doing precisely what traditionalist cruises think they should not do.

However, it is true that it is more comforting to disbelieve the objective evidence and stick ideologically to the belief that others serving one's own personal preferences is going to be best for those others, rather than those others serving their own best interests.

As some of you know, we did the Sel de Mer on our recent Prinsendam cruise but we didn't get credited with out discount that should have been applied

Jeez.... I just pre-booked!!

Kevin

Noordam, 2008 - Eurodam, 2008 - Liberty of the Seas, 2009 - Solstice, 2010 - Eurodam, 2010 Nieuw Amsterdam, 2011 - Nieuw Amsterdam, 2012 - Nieuw Amsterdam, 2012 - Nieuw Amsterdam, 2018, Nieuw Ameterdam, 2018

We pre book every night at PG and Sel de Mer and will likely continue to do so. If I don't get the Mariner discount for the Sel De Mer nights so be it. We loved our Sel de mer dinners and felt the price for dinner was very fair considering the food and service.

We pre book every night at PG and Sel de Mer and will likely continue to do so. If I don't get the Mariner discount for the Sel De Mer nights so be it. We loved our Sel de mer dinners and felt the price for dinner was very fair considering the food and service.

I'll still prebook my Pinnacle Grill dinners and simply wait until I am on board for the Sel de Mer and can also check the current pop up menu. At least, that way, I will know the 'actual' price and not be caught by surprise again ;)

Sel de Mer was not a big seller on our cruise that I saw and there were openings every night unlike the Pinnacle Grill.

(y)(y)(y) Well said, frankc98376!

"Quod erat demonstrandum" indeed. Remember, some of us studied Latin in our formative years.:)

Well, after 4 years of high school Latin, I still recall some knowledge.

But, would you be so kind to explain why your post applies to the prior comments? Am I missing something?

As some of you know, we did the Sel de Mer on our recent Prinsendam cruise but we didn't get credited with out discount that should have been applied (as I reported in my LIVE thread - https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2628744&page=75)

I'm sorry if I sound peeved, but I am. I told them I will NEVER prebook the pop up Sel de Mer again. I'll wait until I am on board in the future and make sure that the PG manager will give me what I am entitled to.

Don't get me wrong, we enjoyed the Sel de Mer, BUT, I am a principled person and we paid more than we should have :(

I’ll comment on the original post and leave it at that.

The group didn’t pay more than than they should have, they paid exactly what they should have paid. Yes there was surprise and anger the discount didn’t apply, but it’s a ‘Know before you go type of thing'.

The strong opinion and statement about the posters decision to stop pre-booking may not be sound advice though if you plan to copy that particular behavior.

Does it not make more sense to just pre-book the dinner, then doublecheck when you get on board. Cancel then if don’t want to shell out the coin and you can save it and eat fresh seafood in your favorite port-of-call.

Know before you go that you are going to doublecheck and avoid the heartache and drama, no need to boycott the pre-booking on-line.

The warning to the 4* and 5* passengers should have been :

“Sel de Mer is priced differently within the HAL fleet, so be prepared to pay full-pop if you like fresh frozen seafood”.

Edited by JRG

The group didn’t pay more than than they should have, they paid exactly what they should have paid. Yes there was surprise and anger the discount didn’t apply, but it’s a ‘Know before you go type of thing'.

The strong opinion and statement about the posters decision to stop pre-booking may not be sound advice though if you plan to copy that particular behavior.

Does it not make more sense to just pre-book the dinner, then doublecheck when you get on board. Cancel then if don’t want to shell out the coin and you can save it and eat fresh seafood in your favorite port-of-call.

Know before you go that you are going to doublecheck and avoid the heartache and drama, no need to boycott the pre-booking on-line.

“Sel de Mer is priced differently within the HAL fleet, so be prepared to pay full-pop if you like fresh frozen seafood”.

You are missing the fact that IN WRITTEN COMMUNICATION the Mariner Society states Sel De Mer is part of the discount.

And before you ask, I have a copy of the letter saved for future reference.

Onboard accounting needs to get their act together !

Sent from my iPad using Forums

What group are you talking about? My DH and I are a group? Interesting. We had several dinners at the Sel de Mer.

For the record, I did "know before I go". I had checked with the Mariner's Society but, I phoned instead of having it in writing. It made sense since Le Cirque got the discount and Sel de Mer replaced Le Cirque. At least that is what I was told.

Thanks for your advice, but no I won't prebook Sel de Mer. Yes, it is easy to cancel, getting a refund can be a different story - it took me 7 trips to get my refund on the one dinner I did cancel. That many trips to the front desk & PG is not worth the hassle - at least, not to me.

Whnever we hosted guests at dinner in Pinnacle or Tamarind, we were charged the 5 star price for all persons at the table. My dh did not, would not have the others pay if we invited them as our guests 'GUESTs' means we pay. :)

I'm a 2* Mariner, so no dog in this race, but I infer that ANY pop up dining event is NOT included in the discount. Therefore enjoy the Sel de Mer restaurant on Koningsdam to receive a 4* discount. Seems pretty simple!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm a 2* Mariner, so no dog in this race, but I infer that ANY pop up dining event is NOT included in the discount. Therefore enjoy the Sel de Mer restaurant on Koningsdam to receive a 4* discount. Seems pretty simple!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Again , Mariner Society says it is included[emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Not sure why there is so much blame the victim. When the actual issue is the lack of attention to detail by HAL. We have run into similar situations and sometimes the difficulties in getting things made right are astounding.

Things need to be made clear fleetwide. If mistakes are made they need to be corrected.

Received the following from the Mariner Society and suggest all on this forum send a similar email for each of their upcoming cruised to let HAL know there is an issue:

Dear Roger,

Thank you for your recent correspondence with Holland America Line regarding you upcoming Westerdam, June 2, 2019 voyage.

The 5 Star 50% discount for the surcharge does apply to all evenings in the Pinnacle Grill, Le Cirque, de Librije, Sel de Mer, Dutch Cafe and Farm to Table.

Please note that the two 5 Star complimentary Pinnacle Grill dinners do not include the Le Cirque, de Librije or Master Chef Table evenings.

To make reservations please log onto www.hollandamerica.com and sign into your My Account, or call our Ship Services Department toll free at 800-541-1576. Your discount on pre-purchases will be credited to your onboard bill.

For additional terms and conditions of the Mariner Society benefits please log onto www.hollandamerica.com.

Please let us know if we can be of further assistance. We look forward to welcoming you back on board in the near future.

Kind Regards,

Lisa

Mariner Society

Holland America Line

Received the following from the Mariner Society and suggest all on this forum send a similar email for each of their upcoming cruised to let HAL know there is an issue:

Dear Roger,

Thank you for your recent correspondence with Holland America Line regarding you upcoming Westerdam, June 2, 2019 voyage.

The 5 Star 50% discount for the surcharge does apply to all evenings in the Pinnacle Grill, Le Cirque, de Librije, Sel de Mer, Dutch Cafe and Farm to Table.

Please note that the two 5 Star complimentary Pinnacle Grill dinners do not include the Le Cirque, de Librije or Master Chef Table evenings.

To make reservations please log onto www.hollandamerica.com and sign into your My Account, or call our Ship Services Department toll free at 800-541-1576. Your discount on pre-purchases will be credited to your onboard bill.

For additional terms and conditions of the Mariner Society benefits please log onto www.hollandamerica.com.

Please let us know if we can be of further assistance. We look forward to welcoming you back on board in the near future.

Kind Regards,

Lisa

Mariner Society

Holland America Line

It would be an idea for those with these Mariner Society letters detailing the what is eligible for the discounts to ask the Mariner Society to send a copy to all the ships for their information.

There really is no excuse for what has been detailed in this thread about some of the ships of the fleet.

It would be an idea for those with these Mariner Society letters detailing the what is eligible for the discounts to ask the Mariner Society to send a copy to all the ships for their information.

There really is no excuse for what has been detailed in this thread about some of the ships of the fleet.

I called the Mariner Society on Monday to request the same letter to be emailed to me and suggested that the PG managers on all ships be reminded of what is and isn't subject to a Mariner discount. I have yet to receive my requested email. I'll be calling again next week and making the same suggestion.

Not sure why there is so much blame the victim. When the actual issue is the lack of attention to detail by HAL. We have run into similar situations and sometimes the difficulties in getting things made right are astounding.

Things need to be made clear fleetwide. If mistakes are made they need to be corrected.

+1 and

thank you :)

+1

Excellent idea.

The letter from the Mariner Society that is being paraded here like a Wonka golden ticket says it all. It specifically list Sel de Mer as qualifying for the Mariner discount but....it specifically DOES NOT address the POP-UP Sel de Mer. Therefore I am inclined to believe that the POP-UP version does not qualify for the discount. Thanks to all who posted that letter.

So the fact that that on this particular sailing it was as a POP UP and not a fixed Sel de Mer may be why HAL has taken such a position. Or, was there another reason given by HAL top brass why the full refund was declined, only the OP knows for sure.

The OP has acknowledged that they intended to 'know before they go' but has subsequently confessed that they relied upon another party to inform them.

I agree with Bennybear that 'mistakes need to be fixed' , including posts that may be misleading or inaccurate.

The letter from the Mariner Society that is being paraded here like a Wonka golden ticket says it all. It specifically list Sel de Mer as qualifying for the Mariner discount but....it specifically DOES NOT address the POP-UP Sel de Mer. Therefore I am inclined to believe that the POP-UP version does not qualify for the discount. Thanks to all who posted that letter.

So the fact that that on this particular sailing it was as a POP UP and not a fixed Sel de Mer may be why HAL has taken such a position. Or, was there another reason given by HAL top brass why the full refund was declined, only the OP knows for sure.

The OP has acknowledged that they intended to 'know before they go' but has subsequently confessed that they relied upon another party to inform them.

I agree with Bennybear that 'mistakes need to be fixed' , including posts that may be misleading or inaccurate.

When I called into the Mariner Society last week on this issue, I specifically asked about the pop up Set de Mer since I will be on the Prinsendam. I was told that the Mariner discount applied to the pop up version as well. It was then that I suggested that ALL PG managers be reminded of when to apply the Mariner discounts as there were some discrepancies between ships.

Kazu was probably referring to me when she said someone had told her Sel de Mer was included in the Mariner discounts. We definitely got the reduced price - 4 or 5 times - on Koningsdam, there was no question about it (which usually brought dinner down to about $25 per person). There were other posts on CC about 4 and 5-star Mariners getting the discount at the pop-up, on other ships. It seemed at the time that only Prinsendam was excluded from it!