Organization chart for long trip. What do you use?

LynnTTT

We're taking a 112 day world cruise in 2020. I want to set up a document or chart which I can use for all the information we'll need. It would have to include columns for dates, days of week, arrival and departure time and then a columns for general information (restaurants-addresses, tours-to include telephone numbers etc, points of interest, etc.

I usually use Excel but it's a pain to add rows etc. But I can't figure out Word either.,

Any suggestions?

I prefer to use Word as I find it less restrictive for the kind of general information I collect. I'll have one overall "itinerary" with the basics for each port (and that part could easily be done in Excel if preferred), but then I have a separate document for each port that might include things like history, descriptions of sites to be visited, transportation or tour information, and any specific directions or reminders for that particular port (such as "bring binoculars on the tour" or "have envelope with XX euros ready for guide") as well as maps and images that I've copied/pasted.

Use Excel and just learn how to manage text. You could insert a table in Word. But it's not as flexible.

Since it's a world cruise, any table with a reasonably sized font will mean multiple pages (even double sided).

One tip is to color fill similar items (e.g., tours, meals, transport, etc) to save text space.

As an alternative, why not try TripIt app? A lot of emailed reservation summaries will self populate.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

I use a word document that I originally used just for excursions. Then I began using it for the complete itinerary (air, hotels, etc).

My column titles are

• Day
  • Date
  • Port
  • Port Time
  • Company
    • Tour
    • Time
    • Cost
    • Description
    • Bring
    • Notes (confirmation number, day reserved, etc.)

I always use TripIt, works well for all of my travels. Simply email your confirmation emails to the automatic email address and they're automatically populated into your app. It breaks things down by day, puts everything in order, all of your confirmation numbers, addresses, etc.

I always use TripIt, works well for all of my travels. Simply email your confirmation emails to the automatic email address and they're automatically populated into your app. It breaks things down by day, puts everything in order, all of your confirmation numbers, addresses, etc.

I second this. TripIt will keep track of nearly everything you mention. It keeps it in a linear format, which might not suit you as well as a spreadsheet, but I find it really useful. And it’s free, so it won’t cost anything to check it out.

Excel every time - we have an Excel workbook with several tabs including itinerary; all spends (on-board and other and a summary to help check our bill); packing list and notes on things like airline baggage limits etc. It is also very handy for doing comparative costings on future cruises as well (Pivot tables based on our on-board spends are very revealing and useful).

If you want more flexibility than Excel, you could use a database such as Access, but there is a significant learning curve.

Sent from my Pixel using Forums mobile app

I am both an Access and Excel super-nerd. The relational database capabilities of Access are not necessary for tracking a cruise holiday (IMHO). It is all about lists and calculations - which Excel excels at (sorry!).

We're taking a 112 day world cruise in 2020. I want to set up a document or chart which I can use for all the information we'll need. It would have to include columns for dates, days of week, arrival and departure time and then a columns for general information (restaurants-addresses, tours-to include telephone numbers etc, points of interest, etc.

I usually use Excel but it's a pain to add rows etc. But I can't figure out Word either.,

Any suggestions?

Did you try typing "insert rows" into the Excel help screen? However, I use Word instead. Also easy to use but you have to learn how to use it. We can't teach you that in CC.

DON

We are also booking another WC in 2020 - 119 days. I plan to use the same arrangement as our previous WC.

I research each port, compiling the information in individual Word documents - date, arr/dep times, currency, exchange rate, berth, local attractions, pubs/restaurants, ship's tours, local tour companies, notes I glean from various sources.

In Excel I create a simple calendar, with each week on a single page - on the calendar we include ports, arr/dep times, pre-booked excursions, etc. Once printed we add additional items by writing them in the calendar. The weekly calendar is posted on the cabin bulkhead with magnets.

With 55 ports, we find this level of detail invaluable

I can add rows, but there are times if I have three long columns and I want to add a row to one column it might affect information I already have in the cells of adjoining columns.

I'm not very good with Excel, especially since I have a Mac and use Numbers. :D

Insert cell - move cells down will do it - you do not need to insert whole rows - you can insert one or more cells.

The folks in the World Cruising forum may be able to offer you some tips to help you track. Some of them have been on multiple World Cruises. Sounds like a lot of work.

Roz