Beware of UBP parasites

dcruiser50

Just a word of caution as a platinum NCL cruiser I have experienced a new cruise parasite. These are the people who choose to get the sail away price with no perks, then befriend those who have the UBP and ask them to get them drinks never offer an extra waiter tip and expect you to keep them in drinks.

How are they a parasite if the 'owner' of the UBP gets the drinks? Thus breaking the rules and agreeing on their own to get this 'person'/new friend/stranger on next stool(?) a drink or drinks.

The least expensive category of room that includes the Free at sea choices is typically $200 pp or more greater than the Sail away category that does not include any perks. When you add to that the promotion service fee for the drink package the passenger is actually paying $300 to $400 for the free drink package! I’m actually not criticizing Norwegian for this because I feel like it is their right to do advertising and pricing as they see fit but I do think the customer should be aware of what they are being charged for.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This has never been covered...never...

How is offering someone a drink on my package stealing? Can someone explain that? Let me just clear something up, people don’t ask for drinks if we offer to someone we just met who happens not to have the UBP that is not stealing. It’s our package and if choose to buy someone a drink that’s our choice and not stealing. Like how much alcohol can you drink on a cruise [emoji568]. Now for those who get the sail away cabin and then seek out people with the UBP that’s scheming.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have seen it stated here on CC that husbands & wives, who presumably BOTH have the UBP, can NOT share the package with EACH other. SO giving away NCL's alcohol drinks to strangers at a bar is stealing from NCL.

Hilarious! There is a crowd here that in third grade would race to remind the teacher if they forgot to assign homework . And NCL thanks you for your service.

I think that most third grades should inform their teacher if she/he forgot the homework! (Just my experience as a teacher.)

First, can we all just appreciate the multiple plot twists this thread took? Sometimes, CC is more entertaining than fiction novels, honestly... :')

Jebus. Good thing I learned the word “no” a while ago. Sounds like those who book basic flights and then try to get those who paid for seat selection to switch with them.

THIS. SO MUCH.

we only befriend boozebags like us so any boozebag worth their salt will have the UBP.

Same :')

In my experience, I haven't found it to be a problem, but I believe it happens. It's just sad. I would never even think to book the basic room in hopes of finding people with the package to mooch off of...sucks that there are people out there like that. Not just on NCL or other cruises, but in general. Sure, we're all "paying" for [the packages] with the upgraded room, but we know that.

I do like how they are more relaxed on NCL (if they know you--get a good bartender and tip well, y'all) about giving multiple drinks with a single card (appropriately, of course). I just went on RCCL for the first time, and they were STICKLERS about one drink per card. A little annoying, honestly. They don't hold a candle to NCL anyway ;p

Here's another view. I drink very little, on a 7 day cruise if I have 14 drinks that would be a lot, so I don't buy UBP, just simple economics. In the course of those 7 days if I happen to meet some one or group who has become friends with me and knowing full well that I don't have UBP but insist on buying me a drink, do I then become a parasite? Are they stealing from NCL? Is it really SOOOO bad in the scheme of life? Or because it's just one drink it's ok? When does it not become ok, if they insisted once a day?

Here's another view. I drink very little, on a 7 day cruise if I have 14 drinks that would be a lot, so I don't buy UBP, just simple economics. In the course of those 7 days if I happen to meet some one or group who has become friends with me and knowing full well that I don't have UBP but insist on buying me a drink, do I then become a parasite? Are they stealing from NCL? Is it really SOOOO bad in the scheme of life? Or because it's just one drink it's ok? When does it not become ok, if they insisted once a day?

You can't BUY someone a drink with the UBP.

Different scenario. You're not asking someone to buy you a drink, they offered. I've done it myself, offered someone a drink and PAID for it with my account, not my UBP.

You can't BUY someone a drink with the UBP.

Exactly, you buy, you pay.

Let your conscience and your integrity be your guide.

You would not be a parasite because you didn't ask or beg. The person offering would be breaking the rules and risking loss of their UBP.

This has not happened to me, just saying, but if it did I won't let it bother my conscience or integrity. Too small a matter in life for me to dread over it.

Same here, and I don't care what other people are doing. The price already anticipated that this would happen. And I accepted it.

Just a word of caution as a platinum NCL cruiser I have experienced a new cruise parasite. These are the people who choose to get the sail away price with no perks, then befriend those who have the UBP and ask them to get them drinks never offer an extra waiter tip and expect you to keep them in drinks.

Never heard of it, but nothing surprises me anymore. Definitely not cool.