Newark Flight Departure

TM

We will be returning from a Canada New England cruise on Sunday, October 21. The ship is supposed to dock at 8:00 am although I would assume it might be a bit earlier. We will be doing self disembarkation and getting off as quickly as possible. We also have Global Entry so aiaport security clearance time should be minimal. I know Bayonne is fairly close to Newark airport. Any thoughts on a 10:15 am flight time?

We will be returning from a Canada New England cruise on Sunday, October 21. The ship is supposed to dock at 8:00 am although I would assume it might be a bit earlier. We will be doing self disembarkation and getting off as quickly as possible. We also have Global Entry so aiaport security clearance time should be minimal. I know Bayonne is fairly close to Newark airport. Any thoughts on a 10:15 am flight time?

I live here. That’s cutting it way too close.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We were on that trip this summer - the independent guests I believe could get off between 8:30 and 8:45 - you then need to get through customs and figure on a good 20-30 minutes back to the airport and that is assuming you have a car waiting to take you and they are outside the terminal

We will be returning from a Canada New England cruise on Sunday, October 21. The ship is supposed to dock at 8:00 am although I would assume it might be a bit earlier

What leads you to make that assumption? Could also be later. Why create so much stress for yourself? You might make it if everything goes smoothly, but they seldom do.

I don't live there and that's cutting it too close. Not worth the stress of worrying about making a flight after a great cruise.

If you have Global Entry, and the ship docks at 0800, I would guess you could walk off the ship with your luggage by 0830 and thru customs/immigration by 0845. You would need to have transport waiting. You could be at the terminal by 0915 to curb check your luggage, then that would give you around 45 minutes to get your boarding pass and thru TSA and to the gate 15 minutes before your flight leaves. That would be pushing it, but could be done. Do you want to take that chance? Maybe your ship docks earlier?

You must have a back up plan because of Murphy's Law.

If you have Global Entry, and the ship docks at 0800, I would guess you could walk off the ship with your luggage by 0830 and thru customs/immigration by 0845. You would need to have transport waiting. You could be at the terminal by 0915 to curb check your luggage, then that would give you around 45 minutes to get your boarding pass and thru TSA and to the gate 15 minutes before your flight leaves. That would be pushing it, but could be done. Do you want to take that chance?

Exactly, was a Police Officer in that county, you would really be pushing it. Keep in mind your going on a wonderful cruise, why worry about whether you're going to make your flight at the end.

Wait! I have an incredible idea for you? Why not hop on over to the Roll Call for this cruise, introduce yourself, make more than 200 new friends who have done research on exactly what you are asking about because they are on that very same cruise. What a NOVEL idea!

You can find the Roll Call for your cruise by CLICKING HERE!

Hope you join us.

Jim

Sundays in the morning the transfer time between Cape Liberty and EWR is 16 to 22 minutes make your math and check if you will do it, I will not stress and take a flight near noon

Normally that's a good time for transfer but there has been a lot of construction in the area for a couple of years now.

Things can (and do) go wrong.

Ship may not dock early, walk-off line may be long and slow moving, CBP may operate fewer stations because of Sunday and smaller ship, road construction in area (mostly completed) can cause traffic issues, tsa-pre line at EWR is at times longer than standard line. Also, some airlines like UAL close doors 15 minutes before takeoff.

Dr. Koob, Thanks for the invite to join your roll call, but no thanks we prefer sincerity not sarcasm. Happy to see though that your comment made your day.

We would sincerely welcome you. Really.

It wouldn’t take a late arrival, or a hang up getting off and through customs/security, or even slow traffic because of construction, and no issues at the airport, it will take Everything going perfectly and there still would be a good chance of not making it. I’ve seen people ask about 1200 departure times, but not 1015.

Just picture yourself sitting on the ship a few days before pulling in and instead of enjoying and relaxing, you’ll be sitting there thinking about all that could hang you up.

Up to you, but remember in today’s air travel world, the ship is pulling in about 15-30min before they ask you to be at the airport, and if you don’t make it in time, most flights are now booked full and you will probably be sitting in the airport for many hrs waiting to be added to another flight. And you’ll be sitting there watching your fellow cruisers walk by and get on their booked fights they set up after 1200.

Den

TM, based on your 2 threads, it seems you are flying into EWR, next day taking a shuttle to the ship, then on embarkation heading right back to EWR. We always add a night or two in New York after, that way we can choose a flight that is perfect, not too early (miss it) or too late (hang around EWR all day). Consider it. Even if you spend one more night at an inexpensive EWR hotel, you can go into New York for dinner and a show and sightseeing (embarkation day) , then you have total flexibility to fly home the next day.

If you have Global Entry, and the ship docks at 0800, I would guess you could walk off the ship with your luggage by 0830 and thru customs/immigration by 0845. You would need to have transport waiting. You could be at the terminal by 0915 to curb check your luggage, then that would give you around 45 minutes to get your boarding pass and thru TSA and to the gate 15 minutes before your flight leaves. That would be pushing it, but could be done. Do you want to take that chance? Maybe your ship docks earlier?

What leads you to make that assumption? Could also be later. Why create so much stress for yourself? You might make it if everything goes smoothly, but they seldom do.
I don't live there and that's cutting it too close. Not worth the stress of worrying about making a flight after a great cruise.

TM - by now you have received a good sample of folks providing you essentially the same sentiment. Several I have quoted here (and highly respect their input on various cruise threads) and some even live in that area, that have made it clear that any potential slow down or change to perfect / on-time arrival or delayed transfer will most likely derail your plan for a 10:15 AM flight. It isn't worth the stress after a wonderful vacation.

Take this next bit of advice (from a complete stranger not related to your cruise thread AND not on your cruise) with a grain of salt...

Maybe you have some reason to find fault with several of your fellow cruisers on your roll call cruise thread that you apparently have not made much (or any) effort to be part of based on your condescending rant (Post #2194). I don't know what the reason is and frankly it is no skin off my back, but what I have found is that whether you are a silent stalker or active participant on the roll call thread, it is a great friend to you where you learn plenty of good information.

Now that you are locked into going on your cruise, I wish you only the best time.

TM - by now you have received a good sample of folks providing you essentially the same sentiment. Several I have quoted here (and highly respect their input on various cruise threads) and some even live in that area, that have made it clear that any potential slow down or change to perfect / on-time arrival or delayed transfer will most likely derail your plan for a 10:15 AM flight. It isn't worth the stress after a wonderful vacation.

Take this next bit of advice (from a complete stranger not related to your cruise thread AND not on your cruise) with a grain of salt...

Maybe you have some reason to find fault with several of your fellow cruisers on your roll call cruise thread that you apparently have not made much (or any) effort to be part of based on your condescending rant (Post #2194). I don't know what the reason is and frankly it is no skin off my back, but what I have found is that whether you are a silent stalker or active participant on the roll call thread, it is a great friend to you where you learn plenty of good information.

Now that you are locked into going on your cruise, I wish you only the best time.

PERFECTLY STATED [emoji1597]

TM is on our cruise, and has ‘been on many many cruises’, from which they’ve learned nothing, except how to glam off other’s creative experience vice doing their own homework- or at least earning other’s help by participating.

>Case in point - just one month prior to a July cruise, on the subject of a very small port my 10yr old Pug could research on her own -

We're doing an Alaska cruise in July on Princess which stops at Icy Strait Point. The ship excursions are extremely highly priced. What is there to do at this port on our own? We've done whale watching a couple of times before so not looking at that as an option and we're also not interested in anything involving a small plane or helicopter.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Again, asking for help without offering anything.

Take, take, take. MANY MANY MANY cruises?

Child, please.

Cheers,

Bob

Edited by bob221b1

The OP needs to consider what I will say :). Perhaps you will make your flight and perhaps you will not. If you can handle that kind of stress without it ruining your day (or the day before) then OK, But you need to consider "Plan B." If you were to miss your flight what will your airline do...what other flights are available from that same airline...and how much extra will it cost? Check it out. If a Plan B works out...then perhaps you might want to gamble on the early flight. We would NOT!

Hank

A couple of comments:

1. I would never assume docking would be earlier.

2. Docking time is not the same as disembarking time. The ship itself must clear customs before pax can get off, so eve if it docks at 8:00, you can't get off right at 8:00.

3. Global Entry gives you TSA Precheck, which is what helps at airport security, BUT you can still randomly be flagged to NOT get Precheck. Always allow extra time for security, just in case. I recently was checking in for a flight and a guy being helped by the next agent over kept saying, "But I have Precheck". (It wasn't showing on his boarding pass." The agent kept saying "Yes, but occasionally you might not get it." He could not understand that even though he had paid for Precheck, he could still possibly have to go through the regular line.

4. Airlines often close the boarding door 10 min before departure time in order to finalize the passenger manifest. As a general rule, once the boarding door is closed, it won't be reopened for a late pax, even though the plane might still be sitting there. So while your flight is at 10:15, in your mind you should be thinking 10:05. Beyond that, the airline actually has rules that you have to be at the gate even earlier or they can give your seat away; usually it's around 30 minutes prior to departure time but could be more.

I live in NJ, some times anyway, I was on the Summit in July. We docked at 8am. Express departure did not start until about 8:30am. There are many many people who do Express departure because many drive to the port and and just want to get going. Add in the reality of lots of road construction in the area and you are going to have a tough time making a 10:15am flight. It can be done. As others have said, have your ride waiting, have TSA PRE and have priority check in....and hope you are on time to the dock. We were in our car by about 9:15am the day we returned. No way we would have made a 10:15am flight. The airport has too many things that can delay you.

In any event take Uber or Lyft

But you can’t set up Uber (don’t know Lyft but I assume the same) prior, you have to get through security/customs prior. If you sets up Uber before you get through it all and get hung up, Uber does Not wait for any real length of time, in my experience.

Den

But you can’t set up Uber (don’t know Lyft but I assume the same) prior, you have to get through security/customs prior. If you sets up Uber before you get through it all and get hung up, Uber does Not wait for any real length of time, in my experience.

Den

The good news is that the call can be made once through customs and the chances are good he'll be there in minutes. At least that's my experience. Cabs are ridiculously expensive and so are gypsy cab drivers. 10:15 is still too early