No kids under 18 will be allowed onViking Rivercruises

sail7seas

I did not hear if same applies to oean cruises.

I think there will be many not very happy with this new decision.

Good idea?

Bad?

Doesn't much matter to me either way.

Apparently, it has been that way on the ocean cruises. This new change is to put the river cruises in line with the ocean cruises.

I find that interesting. I would expect the river cruises to have that sort of restriction, but not ocean cruises.

Honestly, my parents just came back from one and we asked about taking our 15 year old on one. They said he really wouldn't enjoy it. I realize, there are some who would, but in general, it's really not geared towards most teens. They told us all the different things they did and there just really isn't anything for entertainment geared towards kids. And our son loves history and would love all the ports, but there are other ways to see those things. So I'm not that surprised by it.

The other thing I discovered is they don't have any medical personnel on board their ships. There is just so little room for crew. My parents were telling me about a woman who got stung by a bee and was having a reaction, or some pain. They told her where the nearest pharmacy was, as they were still in port. They also told her a ship crew member could go with her if needed. And correct me if I'm wrong, but apparently European pharmacists can actually prescribe medications.

Honestly, my parents just came back from one and we asked about taking our 15 year old on one. They said he really wouldn't enjoy it. I realize, there are some who would, but in general, it's really not geared towards most teens. They told us all the different things they did and there just really isn't anything for entertainment geared towards kids. And our son loves history and would love all the ports, but there are other ways to see those things. So I'm not that surprised by it.

The other thing I discovered is they don't have any medical personnel on board their ships. There is just so little room for crew. My parents were telling me about a woman who got stung by a bee and was having a reaction, or some pain. They told her where the nearest pharmacy was, as they were still in port. They also told her a ship crew member could go with her if needed. And correct me if I'm wrong, but apparently European pharmacists can actually prescribe medications.

Time to head over to Oceania.

And correct me if I'm wrong, but apparently European pharmacists can actually prescribe medications.

They can't, but bee and wasp stings are not unusual. I know from experience. Pharmacists have prescription free medication and salves ready to ease the swelling.

Time to head over to Oceania.

Really? When did Oceania get into the river cruise business?

I realize you prefer to recommend your favorite cruiseline as the be all and end all for every situation, but this is new, even for you.

Since the river boats are within close reach of towns, with their health facilities within fairly easy reach, these no compelling need for medical personnel on board. This is completely different from ocean going vessels which can be many hours, or even days from the closest shore facilities.

European pharmacists can prescribe certain medications for certain things, or recommend OTC remedies. For anything requiring a physicians attention, they would direct you to the closest doctor or clinic to meet your needs.

I did not hear if same applies to oean cruises.

Viking Ocean have been 18+ since day 1. Since many 2019 cruises are already sold out, I suggest the business plan is working. Sounds like VR are being consistent since it is well received on VO.

There have been a couple of reports of older teens (about 16+) on board, but the ship's just aren't set up for young kids.

VO is not the only cruise line to operate adult only ships, as I believe P&O - UK has 50% of the fleet as 18+. Another 18+ line is Saga Cruises.

Viking Ocean have been 18+ since day 1. Since many 2019 cruises are already sold out, I suggest the business plan is working. Sounds like VR are being consistent since it is well received on VO.

There have been a couple of reports of older teens (about 16+) on board, but the ship's just aren't set up for young kids.

VO is not the only cruise line to operate adult only ships, as I believe P&O - UK has 50% of the fleet as 18+. Another 18+ line is Saga Cruises.

I believe Saga is not 18+, it is 50+, a spouse or companion can be 40+. EM

Really? When did Oceania get into the river cruise business?

I realize you prefer to recommend your favorite cruiseline as the be all and end all for every situation, but this is new, even for you.

Of course O doesn't do river cruises. My suggestion was as an alternative to Viking's "no kids" ocean cruises, which is a ridiculous restriction. Many kids are cosmopolitan, decorous and well-behaved. Why should they be turned away?

Of course O doesn't do river cruises. My suggestion was as an alternative to Viking's "no kids" ocean cruises, which is a ridiculous restriction. Many kids are cosmopolitan, decorous and well-behaved. Why should they be turned away?

well, there are what.. a dozen other cruise lines out there that they wouldn't be turned away from. and not just the family friendly behemoths. so whats wrong with one or two out of a dozen that are no gos?

plenty of places do not allow children. its not personal.

Many kids are cosmopolitan, decorous and well-behaved. Why should they be turned away?

Many kids are also not. This is a smart decision by Viking. The average clientèle on the ship is an older couple that does not have kids with them. They aren't looking for the family vacation.

Not a ridiculous restriction at all. Their playground, their rules. And since when was Oceania famed for their childrens programs? Oh wait; they're not. :rolleyes:

There are plenty of land based resorts that are adult only, too, just as there are other resorts that emphasize their family friendly orientation. I know which one I prefer to spend my time at.

I believe the Oceania ships are similar to Viking in that unlike the mainstream lines they do not have space allocated for various aged kid's clubs. The Viking ships, cultural seminars, entertainment, no kid's staff, etc are not conducive to kids. Therefore, I believe it is an entirely reasonable business practice to state that their product is not consistent with the needs of young kids.

If Oceania do accept kids, I can only hope they provide something of interest to younger kids. Not sure about the newer ships, but I highly doubt the smaller R-class ships have kid's activities, kid's staff, etc.

When we wish to take our grandson on a cruise, we will pick a cruise for him, which will mean having to skip Viking for that particular cruise.

Choice of restricting ages on a cruise ship or river boat is a business decision. If they continue to sell cabins or even sell more cabins, they will have made a good business decision. If bookings go down, they have made a bad decision. In the end, it is simple and it comes down to the money.

DON

Since the river boats are within close reach of towns, with their health facilities within fairly easy reach, these no compelling need for medical personnel on board. This is completely different from ocean going vessels which can be many hours, or even days from the closest shore facilities.

European pharmacists can prescribe certain medications for certain things, or recommend OTC remedies. For anything requiring a physicians attention, they would direct you to the closest doctor or clinic to meet your needs.

Oh yes, that's what we were saying, it really did make sense. I had just never thought about it. They said it's very clear in their info though.

Many kids are also not. This is a smart decision by Viking. The average clientèle on the ship is an older couple that does not have kids with them. They aren't looking for the family vacation.

That's what my parents said. They had a great time on their Viking Cruise, they've vacationed with our teenage son, they know him very well. And they said that yes, he'd enjoy all the ports and history, but he'd be bored on the ship itself. Again, I realize there will always be some exceptions. But in reality, most kids want to hang with other kids, swim in the pool, play games, etc... There are still plenty of options for families.

Since you are close to shore and reasonable medical care, I can see this.

Depending on the country, no prescriptions may be needed. And in a lot of countries, doctor diagnose, and give you the diagnosis on a piece of paper, the pharmacist determines the course of treatment.

Which makes sense, as pharmacists undergo rigorous training on DRUGS. Very demanding technical training.