Tipping Longshoremen--do you or don't you?

ON cruiser

Steve Reeves the guru of Europe travel goes for one month travel with one roll on a a sling of stuff over his shoulder . Things like quick dry underwear makes for far less numbers to be loaded into luggage .Read his articles years ago about light weight packing . In Europe many of the train stations have no porters & also stairs to climb . Thus ,light every thing is the best travel policy :)

If you mean Rick Steves, he also has European cruise port books out now. We even brought pages from his Iceland book with us on the VOV, one of his newest publications. Great info!

Many airlines have recently upped the luggage fees from $25 to $30 for checked bags & there have been talks in the airline industry to start charging for carry on luggage . :(

Now the cruise lines will no longer enforce the MDR dress codes because of the luggage hassles from the airlines & the new generations attitudes toward dress codes :o

Dressy clothes are light weight and easily packable. Changing personal attitudes about dressing up are real; but please don't blame suitcase space or airline regulations.

We have experienced exactly the opposite on all our HAL cruises. If we don't already have tip $ in our hands before we open the door for room service they are gone before we can give it to them.
That is exactly my experience ... so much s o that when DH or I let them in, we have tip ready give them. they all are in a nd out in a flash. I have never had a HAL room service steward linger looking for a tip.

1 bag for a 2 week cruise ?

One large rolling bag for 2 weeks in Alaska that covered both cold outdoor activities that needed heavier items as well as full dress up on Gala Nights. And that included tux and shoes for DH in his one suitcase too.

Yes, it is easily doable. Doing two weeks and longer, with only a carry-on size was something I did in the past on land based trips, but no longer for cruises.

30 day cruises, I do take two 50# suitcases but more for the sheer indulgence and variety, than for travel necessity.

Whenever the subject of tipping longshoremen comes up, my blood pressure goes up because of an early cruise experience we had many years ago in florida. Unloading our luggage at the port, a longshoreman actually came up to us and told us "If you want to see your bags arrive in one piece on the ship, you'd better pay a good tip!". He wasn't smiling. We came up with a few dollars. He was just rude - really upset us (did we pay enough?) and completely stressed us out until the bags arrived at our cabin door. Tried to shake it off - but it still bugs me to this day!

Whenever the subject of tipping longshoremen comes up, my blood pressure goes up because of an early cruise experience we had many years ago in florida. Unloading our luggage at the port, a longshoreman actually came up to us and told us "If you want to see your bags arrive in one piece on the ship, you'd better pay a good tip!". He wasn't smiling. We came up with a few dollars. He was just rude - really upset us (did we pay enough?) and completely stressed us out until the bags arrived at our cabin door. Tried to shake it off - but it still bugs me to this day!

Tipping for appreciated service - okay

Tipping for tradition - okay

Tipping for extortion threats - not okay at alll

1 bag for a 2 week cruise ?

And a carryon bag at that. :D I'm doing a 49 day cruise going from warm, to hot, to cold back to hot and warm again. I'm seriously thinking about using a Luggage Valet service plus self-carrying a back pack and a 22 or 24 inch. carryon. (I have both)

Ramona

I no longer tip the porters. They ARE well paid, and protected by unions. They're hard workers, good at what they do, and they're compensated for that. At the same time, I've seen them take a lunch break at the busiest point of embark, open a beer, and kick back and chat with their co-workers. The union prohibits shore operations employees from touching/moving any bags if no porter is available and passengers need assistance. Idle luggage carts are not to be used by anyone, no matter the circumstance. The longshoremen truly run the pier, and they'll be just fine without my financial contribution.

Thank goodness we have never cruised from a US port. That would totally ruin my cruise.

We have cruised from Vancouver, Civitavecchia and Sydney and nothing like that has ever happened to us. In Italy the porters grabbed our bags off us so quickly that I wouldn't have had time to tip them anyway. All they were interested in was getting our bags as quickly as possible and getting them into the terminal. Same in Sydney.

Shouldn't be a problem. Plan what you will wear when. Pack no more than two pairs of shoes. If it's unnecessary, ditch it, ie, jacket, dress shirt, and tie. Works well for us.

Wear the jacket on the plane and the tie takes up no room in the suitcase. What are the real tips?

Exactly. Difficult to believe that there is so much discussion for $4.

We tend to prioritize and not sweat the small stuff. This is at or near the bottom of the 'small stuff' list.

Cannot believe how exited people tend to get about it. Either tip or don't tip. Whats the big issue? And why on earth would anyone care if I tip the longshoremen or even how much we tip. ? Why would I care if someone else tips them.? Answer is a resounding NO.

I would say that one should care because of the reported intimidation some have experienced. That, along with the reported high wage they enjoy, should make one care enough to reconsider tipping. It may take some nerve to stop, perhaps even a bit of courage at first, but IMO those who brush aside the issue are not helping.

Wear the jacket on the plane and the tie takes up no room in the suitcase. What are the real tips?

Actually, we usually drive. I don't bring a jacket, shirt, or tie because I don't want too.

Even though we drive, we still pack in two carry-on size roller bags. No reason to carry more than one needs and we don't need Gala wear. We hardly ever visit the MDR.

Actually, we usually drive. I don't bring a jacket, shirt, or tie because I don't want too.

Even though we drive, we still pack in two carry-on size roller bags. No reason to carry more than one needs and we don't need Gala wear. We hardly ever visit the MDR.

Good for you, you finally said it, rather than blaming your luggage limits. You don't want to. Yea!

Have to laugh about our experience last summer flying first class to Amsterdam from the US. Checking in the agent wondered why we only had two reasonably sized suitcases, and one small briefcase.

Our checked baggage allowance was a total of six bags, with a weight of 70 lbs or less. In addition, we could take four roll aboards, with a weight of 39 lbs or less, AND two accessories (purse, briefcase or the like). This was for two adults.

A total of 576 pounds of luggage! At no additional charge.

Back on track - we didn't tip at Passenger Terminal Amsterdam since the drop off line moved so quickly and the reps whisked us into the terminal.

Steve Reeves the guru of Europe travel goes for one month travel with one roll on a a sling of stuff over his shoulder . Things like quick dry underwear makes for far less numbers to be loaded into luggage .Read his articles years ago about light weight packing . In Europe many of the train stations have no porters & also stairs to climb . Thus ,light every thing is the best travel policy :)

My travel policy is "I'll let people carry my stuff, and I'll tip them if so inclined." :D

P.S. It's Rick Steves. And he travels with a camera crew, so he's got more than a backpack.

Same here - you need to have the tip ready when they arrive as they do not wait around - turn your back for a second and they are gone. Of course, they do seem to appreciate the tips.

That is exactly my experience ... so much s o that when DH or I let them in, we have tip ready give them. they all are in a nd out in a flash. I have never had a HAL room service steward linger looking for a tip.

(y)(y)(y) Ditto here!!!