Tipping Longshoremen--do you or don't you?

ON cruiser

:cool: I cant imagine not tipping every time. 40 cruises never had a problem or attitude.

And think of all that money you would have saved!

If saving money is your primary objective, ChinaShrek, think of all the money you could save by not cruising at all. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

This is embarrassing, idn't realize I should tip everyone who handles my bag. I will have a few bucks ready for the airline agent who moves my bag from the check-in scale to the conveyor belt. I will have a few more bucks ready for the baggage handler who takes my carry-on bag at the plane, if I'm forced to gate check it.

My travel policy is "I'll let people carry my stuff, and I'll tip them if so inclined." :D

P.S. It's Rick Steves. And he travels with a camera crew, so he's got more than a backpack.

Thanks I made a blooper there . Best advice on packing ever was from Rick Steves . Subsequently we got those clothes pack sets(the ones with the zipers) from Amazon & they work really good for organizing our clothes :D:D

In hotels with porters we tip $1 per bag & we usually have back packs ie with us . It usually comes to $5 & generally we get very good service including how to operate every thing in our hotel room . for the guys that get our car we always tip $2 when we get the car & $ 2 when we return to the hotel . We have always received very good service

Tip are just a expense we add in for our total trip & enjoyment :D

This is embarrassing, idn't realize I should tip everyone who handles my bag. I will have a few bucks ready for the airline agent who moves my bag from the check-in scale to the conveyor belt. I will have a few more bucks ready for the baggage handler who takes my carry-on bag at the plane, if I'm forced to gate check it.

Don't forget to tip the cabin stewards who deliver your bags to the cabin and wait out in the hallway in your pajamas well after midnight to tip the stewards who take your bags before you disembark.

Longshoremen do not earn nor deserve tips when routinely handling bags at the port -that is what they are paid to do. It is an included service.

I hardly think that is up to someone else to advise us as whether or not a longshoreman 'deserves' a tip. Or for that matter who in general deserves or does not deserve a tip. Either a tip, or the amount of a tip.

Surely this is up to each of us and there is no 'right' answer.

Longshoremen do not earn nor deserve tips when routinely handling bags at the port -that is what they are paid to do. It is an included service.

Are you really suggesting not to tip anyone who does what they are paid to do? While there are many parts of the world that operate on that principle, it sounds very un-American coming from you. :evilsmile:

Are you really suggesting not to tip anyone who does what they are paid to do? While there are many parts of the world that operate on that principle, it sounds very un-American coming from you. :evilsmile:

Why should they be tipped?

If they are there to provide extra services to those who choose to engage them, that is their private decision to tip them.

If they were underpaid and tipping was part of their total compensation, then they would not be making the salaries their unions have commanded. Plus as Cheng or Copper pointed out they scam the system to get paid for an 8 hour shift when the ship is only there for four hours. Their job description for which they are already amply paid is to be on the floor available to assist passengers with their routine baggage handling needs.

Not spending money stupidly is my idea of being American - Thrift and prudence and all that. Penny saved is a penny earned.

Thanks I made a blooper there . Best advice on packing ever was from Rick Steves . Subsequently we got those clothes pack sets(the ones with the zipers) from Amazon & they work really good for organizing our clothes :D:D

He has great packing advice and books as I pointed out in post #101. Easy name to confuse.

We live near his store and travel center so have picked up a lot of Rick Steves bags and books.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

He has great packing advice and books as I pointed out in post #101. Easy name to confuse.

We live near his store and travel center so have picked up a lot of Rick Steves bags and books.

Rick Steves should develop a cruise ship shop franchise - offer things that travellers really need and want. Or didn't even know they needed and wanted them. Better than the direction HAL shops are currently going - don't need and don't want.

Don't forget to tip the cabin stewards who deliver your bags to the cabin and wait out in the hallway in your pajamas well after midnight to tip the stewards who take your bags before you disembark.

Deserve? You can’t be serious. It’s one thing to have your own policy of not tipping but quite another to tell others who deserves it and who doesn’t.

I, too, derive pleasure from tipping and don’t have time to determine who deserves it or not. The money just isn’t that important to me.

They’re already paid so well for doing exactly what you’re tipping them for. One can almost ask, why don’t they tip you for having carried the bags to the car and hoisting them into the trunk.

Oh well, of the total amount of money I give to other professionals or companies over the course of a year, that I feel is in excess of a fair amount, tips to longshoremen constitute only a tiny fraction.

Exactly. Difficult to believe that there is so much discussion for $4.

We tend to prioritize and not sweat the small stuff. This is at or near the bottom of the 'small stuff' list.

Cannot believe how exited people tend to get about it. Either tip or don't tip. Whats the big issue? And why on earth would anyone care if I tip the longshoremen or even how much we tip. ? Why would I care if someone else tips them.? Answer is a resounding NO.

Frankly, incredible. People are spending a couple of thousand dollars or more on a cruise and they are concerned about a few dollars tip?

Frankly, incredible. People are spending a couple of thousand dollars or more on a cruise and they are concerned about a few dollars tip?

OP asked a question. Do as you like. Have the courtesy to allow others to do what they like.

But if you want to be consistent, tip the guy at the airport who puts your luggage on the conveyor belt. And DEFINITELY tip the longshoremen who take your luggage OFF the ship at the end of the cruise. After all, they provided you with a service. And it's just a few dollars.

OP asked a question. Do as you like. Have the courtesy to allow others to do what they like.

But if you want to be consistent, tip the guy at the airport who puts your luggage on the conveyor belt. And DEFINITELY tip the longshoremen who take your luggage OFF the ship at the end of the cruise. After all, they provided you with a service. And it's just a few dollars.

Thank you.

i was thinking the sme. thing how some w on't ' spare a few dollras for people who handle that pile of heavy luggage for us.

Thank you.

i was thinking the sme. thing how some w on't ' spare a few dollras for people who handle that pile of heavy luggage for us.

Are you misreading Toofarfromtheseas' sarcastic comment or do you really tip the airport conveyor guy and the "invisible" longshoremen who take your luggage off the ship?

ALLow others?

Who here has the power to 'disallow' anyone to t do as they like? It is not a question of allow........ I IS a difference of op inion. ;)

I always "tip" folks who provide exceptional services to me. If a waiter in a restaurant gives great service, I tip more. If my room steward or table waiter does more than just the basis, I give them an additional tip at the end of a cruise. But tipping those for just doing their job is a problem for me. Just like I don't tip my plumber, or tip my cable company for restoring service, just handing out extra money for those who are just doing the basic job seems a bridge too far. Tip the usher who shows you to your seat at a game? Tip the guy who cuts your lawn? The longshoremen in Florida have a defined job: to move luggage onto or off of a ship. And they are begging for tips. I don't tip the person bagging my groceries, and I don't tip a UPS driver bringing my Amazon delivery. I do tip for excellent barber service, or a great Uber driver. But especially when tipping seems more like extortion, I'll forgo it. I think the Australasians have it right.

• Like 1

I always "tip" folks who provide exceptional services to me. If a waiter in a restaurant gives great service, I tip more. If my room steward or table waiter does more than just the basis, I give them an additional tip at the end of a cruise. But tipping those for just doing their job is a problem for me. Just like I don't tip my plumber, or tip my cable company for restoring service, just handing out extra money for those who are just doing the basic job seems a bridge too far. Tip the usher who shows you to your seat at a game? Tip the guy who cuts your lawn? The longshoremen in Florida have a defined job: to move luggage onto or off of a ship. And they are begging for tips. I don't tip the person bagging my groceries, and I don't tip a UPS driver bringing my Amazon delivery. I do tip for excellent barber service, or a great Uber driver. But especially when tipping seems more like extortion, I'll forgo it. I think the Australasians have it right.

Very well put!! Thank You!!

I find it too confusing to have to break it down. If the barber is doing his job, why tip him? For doing a great job? Why would you go to him if he didnt’t?

Those few dollars certainly aren’t going to make a difference to my cruise or my life.

Bottom line for me ... it makes my heart feel good so I do it.