Tipping Longshoremen--do you or don't you?

ON cruiser

LOL - after the incident they said they would be tipping in the future ;)

I should mention that HAL was very helpful with laundry for free and assisting with a bit of clothing while it was being done.

Which port ? I think that is pertinent to fell us. .

always tip $5.00 for our two suitcases. The only Port where I witnessed aggressive longshoremen was in Fort Lauderdale and it was only one time that it happened.They prevented folk from dropping their own luggage into the bins and were very loud in informing everyone that tipping was expected.People felt very intimidated.Again this was only once that it happened.

We watched a suitcase drop into the water as it was getting off-loaded at a HAL disembarkation. It was on the pallet carrying it from ship to shore. Lots of people looking where it went down, clipboards in hand taking notes, but there was no effort to fish it out - probably nothing could be done anyway. Must be very deep waters dockside. I notice now much higher sides on the luggage pallets are today which will hopefully prevent this in the future.

So this was a totally random event- since there was no longshoreman or tipping issue involved. No way to target just this suitcase. Only some bad luck for the passenger, who would soon be futilely searching the disembarkation lounge looking for that missing piece of luggage. That would be the only way to learn who the owner was too. Process of elimination. Hope they did not have an early flight to catch.

Does anyone know a specific person who did not get their bags or got therm in bad conditon? . . .

In July 2017 in Boston there were bags exposed to rain before they arrived in staterooms. One of our bags was wet and had some wet things inside. Another bag's handle was broken somewhere between the airport and the stateroom. The HAL upholsterer was kind enough to fix the handle for us.

Barbara

But you think it okay to attack American Culture ? Just as you express your natural aversion to b eing attacked ?

General remark and not pointing at an individual poster:

please do not impose your American way of thinking and acting on the rest of the World.

In many areas, we DO NOT tip. So please, American friends, refrain from doing so when not customary and respect the local culture.

Having worked through the U.S. food service industry from waiter to Director I have a strong proclivity to tip most everyone who I perceive to be in a tipped position.

I don’t begrudge anyone I tip and I tip less in Europe per local custom.

Also my bags are not particularly strong swimmers..........

please do not impose your American way of thinking and acting on the rest of the World.

In many areas, we DO NOT tip. So please, American friends, refrain from doing so when not customary and respect the local culture.

No one has discussed tipping in any other location except within the US. Respect the local culture.

Sound reasoning , BU T

Our culture tips yet when you c ome to U.S. it is your choice t o not tip. Okay, I have no issue with that but why do you request we respect your culture in your country? AND do not return the courtesy when in our country where tipping is the local culture ?

Good point.

While techincally everyone from North America are Americans, we are from Canada and know tipping is expected in the U.S. so we do it. But, when we travel, we research tipping protocol and honour the protocol and culture of that country ;)

Itis one thing to know the local l cus tom and quite aonther to ignore and not honor that as has been suggested in this thread while at the same time requesting others to respecta nd follow the local custom while in their country.......... A little contradictory, Yes?

Itis one thing to know the local l cus tom and quite aonther to ignore and not honor that as has been suggested in this thread while at the same time requesting others to respecta nd follow the local custom while in their country.......... A little contradictory, Yes?

LOL ... Are you saying that whatever is written on Cruise Critic trumps local custom ??? :confused:

Always offer a gratuity to these good folks! The amount depends upon the amount/type of service I receive. Arrival at the pier, for standard sized bags and no special service, $2/bag is always appreciatively received. If the Porter is particularly pleasant or helpful, a bit more might be added.

Leaving the pier, if they collect me and my luggage, get me quickly through Customs and Immigration, and take me to the parking garage (if I have driven), the Porter will receive a well-deserved tip of $20 at least, in my opinion. Once, my traveling companion required a wheelchair assist to get us to the garage. Two gentlemen were required and my gratuity total for both of them was $50. They did what I could not have done by myself.

Always offer a gratuity to these good folks! The amount depends upon the amount/type of service I receive. Arrival at the pier, for standard sized bags and no special service, $2/bag is always appreciatively received. If the Porter is particularly pleasant or helpful, a bit more might be added.

Leaving the pier, if they collect me and my luggage, get me quickly through Customs and Immigration, and take me to the parking garage (if I have driven), the Porter will receive a well-deserved tip of $20 at least, in my opinion. Once, my traveling companion required a wheelchair assist to get us to the garage. Two gentlemen were required and my gratuity total for both of them was $50. They did what I could not have done by myself.

What do you think their job description entailed when they showed up for work that day -- at their regular Longshoremen's wages and perhaps time and half for overtime? Should one assume they were getting paid to be helpful to passengers while on the company dime?

LOL ... Are you saying that whatever is written on Cruise Critic trumps local custom ??? :confused:

No of course not. I am saying, that seeing poster says we should respect the local Editcustom, when in their country,then when poster is in our country, they should return the courtesy and respect our local custom .. Poster said he will not tipwhen in our country as American s do and told us to not tip in their country as their custom is to not tip H

Posters' message is: We should respect poster's custom but they will not respect ours.

Edited by sail7seas

Funny how these criticisms always flow in only one direction.

Hello all; in another thread Copper pointed out that longshoremen make a six figure income--certainly this was news to me, anyway. For all our cruises when arriving at the port in Ft Lauderdale, San Diego, or elsewhere (in the USA), I have always tipped the longshoremen who take our bags from the cab.

Frankly, I have felt obligated to do so, as they stand there, not literally with their "hands out" but clearly (to me) signifying their interest in a gratuity. My concern is that if I do not tip them the $5 or so, my luggage may end up being stomped on by the proverbial elephant that they have out back :) and the cases may not even make my ship!

Ok, kidding aside--what do you do? Tip, or not and if you do, do you feel "guilted" into it? Or do you offer a pleasant "thank you", and walk over to check-in?

While I am happy to tip those whose income depends on it, for someone earning a six figure salary, I think they are doing ok, and can do without my contribution. Discuss...

I have in the past, but no more. Cruising has caused me to really think through the the whole issue of tipping for myself and I now only tip in 2 situations.

1) where the employee is getting a substandard wage with the expectation that tips will make the difference - hence NEVER remove auto grats.

2) where the service I receive is truly above and beyond what I believe is a standard level of service.

What the porter's do meet neither of those conditions, so no tip.

I have in the past, but no more. Cruising has caused me to really think through the the whole issue of tipping for myself and I now only tip in 2 situations.

1) where the employee is getting a substandard wage with the expectation that tips will make the difference - hence NEVER remove auto grats.

2) where the service I receive is truly above and beyond what I believe is a standard level of service.

What the porter's do meet neither of those conditions, so no tip.

If one looks hard enough, one can always a way to justify the failure to tip.

I don't tip as American longshoremen are well compensated. And I'm not sure that they deserve a tip for hoisting my bag up onto the pile of other bags already in the rack never to be looked at by that person again. I came to verbal blows once with one too when he tried to shake me down for a tip. I told him his salary was greater than mine ( which is true ) and I asked for his badge number to report his harassment. He told me to go away ad my baggage was safely delivered to my room. Recently my sister offered a $20. bill to one of the longshoremen for her bags, but she asked for $10. back in change. He didn't want to give her any back and was quite rude to her. She searched out the lead guy and told him her plight. The offending worker was sent home that day.

Now with that being said, I am a generous tipper to those whose livelihood depend on tips. Hacks I unfailingly give 10 to 15%, my barber 10%, waiters are given 20% by me and each morning at a hotel the maid is left $3. to $5.

I found this L.A. Times article from 2015 interesting: http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-dockworker-pay-20150301-story.html International Longshore and Warehouse Union represents workers in all US West Coast Ports. It was reported that half the members made over $100,000 in 2013. The article also mentioned "casual workers" who are not in the union. Earnings for the casual workers were not mentioned.

The article does not mention East Coast workers.