MDR lunch hours on embarkation day?

Cruisepucks

Good day,

This isn't a critical question, but if anyone has the information, we'd appreciate it.

We're boarding the Zuiderdam in a few days and prefer to have lunch in the MDR after we get on. If anyone knows the times the MDR is open for lunch on embarkation days, would you pass it along, please?

Thanks and have a good weekend. And happy Canadian Thanksgiving to the Canucks.

Cheers!

Cruisepucks:cool:

And Happy Candian Thanksgiving to you :)

MDR is open on embarkation day from 12 - 1:30 on most cruises. On one I was on, it was 12 - 1 PM.

there is the odd occasion - TA's, special visitors, deep cleaning, etc. Where it is not available, but usually it is.

Have a great cruise :D

OP: fwiw, when we boarded the Zuiderdam on August 24 (in Copenhagen), the MDR was open for lunch from 12-1:30 PM (but given the reports above of earlier closings, I think it's wise to arrive before 1 PM, just in case).

BTW, the pasta was terrific. In fact, although it was a limited lunch menu, it was all good and a great start to the cruise!

Enjoy your trip!

Please try to arrive before 12:30, as the waiters must get ready for the 1st MDR dinner service. The longer a passenger delays their lunch, the longer these hard-working individuals must work. And they will never show their displeasure.

Sometimes, we've discovered that both the check-in desk and the stewards welcoming people aboard will tell us that the MDR won't be open for lunch when, in fact, it is. Whatever you're told, go to the MDR and check for yourselves. The lower level MDR has never been closed on embark day in our experience. I know it can happen, as we've talked to other passenger who experienced it, but thankfully we've never run into that situation.

Enjoy a leisurely and pampered start to your cruise.

Please try to arrive before 12:30, as the waiters must get ready for the 1st MDR dinner service. The longer a passenger delays their lunch, the longer these hard-working individuals must work. And they will never show their displeasure.

I should hope not--and why be displeased that someone arrived while the MDR is still open for seating?

If the MDR is open from 12-1, then people should be able to arrive before 1 and be seated. If they want people to arrive by 12:30, then it should say that on the welcome aboard materials or wherever the information is posted.

Sometimes, we've discovered that both the check-in desk and the stewards welcoming people aboard will tell us that the MDR won't be open for lunch when, in fact, it is. Whatever you're told, go to the MDR and check for yourselves.

Staff were handing out the "When and Where" to folks as we embarked on the Zuiderdam in August. It had the hours for all of the dining venues that day, and showed the MDR open for lunch. Since this was our first HAL cruise, I don't know if it's typical to receive the When and Where as you board the ship, but for us it was certainly a confirmation that we could head to the MDR.

Staff were handing out the "When and Where" to folks as we embarked on the Zuiderdam in August. It had the hours for all of the dining venues that day, and showed the MDR open for lunch. Since this was our first HAL cruise, I don't know if it's typical to receive the When and Where as you board the ship, but for us it was certainly a confirmation that we could head to the MDR.

Yes, that would be confirmation of the MDR being open; however, the instances I was referring to happened to us on several occasions when we were fairly new to sailing with HA. Had we listened to those people telling us the MDR was closed, we would have missed a nice, leisurely lunch. I was trying to be helpful to the OP by telling him/her about our experience in case he/she encountered a similar situation.

This is quite unusual - we have never gotten them in 25 cruises on HAL. Nice touch though!

Most times the crew direct us to the Lido for lunch and we just go to the Main Dining Room.

This is quite unusual - we have never gotten them in 25 cruises on HAL. Nice touch though!

Most times the crew direct us to the Lido for lunch and we just go to the Main Dining Room.

Like you, our When and Where's have always been in our stateroom. They do show the MDR open in recent years.

• 2 weeks later...

I have found on virtually EVERY ship I have sailed on that offers a MDR lunch on embarkation day that staff will uniformly tell you the MDR is closed and to go to the Lido.  I firmly believe they are instructed to do this to try and limit crowds in the MDR as the staff #s are VERY limited and only a small portion of the space is actually allocated for seating.  Many MDR staff are helping with cabin turnover, bag delivery, etc.  That said I enjoy the more relaxed pace and calm of the MDR as a start to my cruise :classic_biggrin:

It has been a few years since our last HAL cruise, but I thought the MDR for lunch on embarkation day was only available as a perk for HAL Mariner members. If that is still true, that may be why crew members say it is not open.  I like the MDR for lunch since the Lido is packed and a zoo for lunch while everyone is waiting for their cabins to open up.

3 hours ago, terrydtx said:

It has been a few years since our last HAL cruise, but I thought the MDR for lunch on embarkation day was only available as a perk for HAL Mariner members. If that is still true, that may be why crew members say it is not open.

It is no longer true that dining room lunch on embarkation day is limited to Mariners only, and yet passengers are still directed to the Lido.

2 hours ago, RuthC said:

It is no longer true that dining room lunch on embarkation day is limited to Mariners only, and yet passengers are still directed to the Lido.

Wow, how many other Mariner Perks have been taken away? We are booked in a Signature Suite and I notice a lot of perks for Suites are gone too.  So much for customer loyalty.

1 hour ago, terrydtx said:

1  Wow, how many other Mariner Perks have been taken away? 2 We are booked in a Signature Suite and I notice a lot of perks for Suites are gone too.  So much for customer loyalty.

Bolding with numbers is mine to address your concerns.

1. No Mariner perk has been lost.  It's simply available to all.  Not many go there so it's no biggie IMO.  My last When and Where still read "Mariners Embarkation lunch".

to be honest, most people are 1* Mariners at the very least.  They just have to have sailed any CCL ship. So most have the lunch available if they want it.  Most go to the Lido.

2. What Signature Suite perks have been taken away?

From what I have observed there have been a couple of things added in the way of room amenities for Signature Suites.  they have never had perks other than the phone concierge.

Are you perhaps confusing them with the Neptune Suite perks?