Lost luggage from Valet check through

lizinindy

Just returned from the Reflection last night. We checked 4 bags from the ship to our home airport. Figured it was safe because it was a non-stop. Our flight ended up being delayed for 3 hours but one of our bags was missing when we arrived home. I checked with Southwest but they said only 3 bags were checked with their airline so one bag never made it off the ship or off the transport truck. It's disconcerting not to have claim checks to prove you had 4 bags. We tagged all 4 bags with both tags Celebrity gave us plus each bag has our own ID tag on it. I called Celebrity last night and reported it as missing. Called again today but still no update. Seems like it would have been found by now. I wonder if it's cruising without us? Bon voyage, favorite white shirt and toiletry bag....have fun!

This just recently happen to my wife and I from Fort Lauderdale after our Celebrity cruise.  Checked four bags and only three arrived at our destination.  Went to the Southwest counter to report a missing piece of luggage.  About three days later I received a call from a Celebrity representative and they asked me if I had all of my luggage.  They said that they had my luggage and it was their mistake that it never made it to the airport.  The sent the luggage via FEDEX and I had it in two days.  The question I have if they had my luggage with all of my tags on it (which it had), no need to ask me if I had all of my luggage.  The luggage arrived intact with the TSA locks still attached,

Guess my attempted reply never posted...new CC not very  easy for me!

The only way to avoid this is to carry off your luggage...the more  hands that touch it, the greater the chance of mishaps,  We  always carry off even if it means we pack fewer items, and endure the inconvenience of standing in line / struggling with our bags to walk off,

Hope OP is lucky and bags turn up..

We haven't used luggage valet for a few years but I remember getting baggage claim checks with the package.  Check your paperwork to see if you over looked them.  Once when using luggage valet a piece of luggage did not show up at our home airport and we had the proper paperwork for South West to track it down.  We had it delivered to our home about 4 days after we returned.  SW blamed the delay on a TSA screening which is why it did not make our flight and was misplaced for a day or two.

35 minutes ago, ryansmousehouse said:

Just used it.. Got off Reflection yesterday.. Checked 4 bags and flew connecting flights across country on United.... All arrived safe and sound..I do take pictures of tags and bags before putting outside room the night before...

Great idea. Sometimes many of us forget that photo documentation of everything is available at our fingertips  with our phones if we only remember to make use of the technology! Good reminder. Thanks.

Please check your documents.  There should be a luggage receipt.  It will be small.  That will be helpful to help locate the bag.

I hope SWA did not cut luggage tag receipts along with the  peanuts.

Edited by keesar

We got off Reflection on Friday.  Six of us used luggage valet, FLL-DFW.   No problems. Love this service.

Baggage claim no. for each piece was in the letter above the printed boarding pass.

With all the luggage they handle, it is amazing that it works so well. 

14 hours ago, hcat said:

Guess my attempted reply never posted...new CC not very  easy for me!

The only way to avoid this is to carry off your luggage...the more  hands that touch it, the greater the chance of mishaps,  We  always carry off even if it means we pack fewer items, and endure the inconvenience of standing in line / struggling with our bags to walk off,

Hope OP is lucky and bags turn up..

Understand, but folks are listing 4  suitcases checked and many travelers aren’t able to carry off even with fewer. So not an option for the majority of us. 

This issue is similar to checking your bags at the airport  valet service and many other  options. Life when so many are traveling and flying, but a necessity for many. Taking a photo is an excellent option. 

Den

Update—my bag has finished it’s independent travel! It took a jaunt to Oakland, CA without me! Although my bag had all the correct taggage, when Celebrity (or the company it uses) re-tagged it at the airport, they put the incorrect baggage tag on it. Not sure how all that works so maybe Southwest tagged it incorrectly? Anyway, it’s on it’s way home. Hooray! I thought I studied the tags and paperwork for a claim check but maybe I missed something. Thanks for the hot tip to photo the bags and tags. Duh! Shoulda thought of that. I’m asking to be reimbursed for the $50 valet luggage fee for my inconvenience. We’ll see.....maybe it’s SW, maybe it’s Celebrity, maybe I shouldn’t pack so much that I can’t manage my own luggage! (But in my defense, I packed egg crate mattress pads ‘cause we’re softie softie mattress people and you can’t depend on the cruise line to have any available. Yes—-I’m a weirdo! I also take a few bits of duct tape to tape off the red light from the TV at night and the peephole in the door that leaks in light...good grief—what a fussbudget! BTW-I left the mattress pads there)

• Like 1

Update—-my bag was to arrive via FedEx by 10:30 AM. Nope. Now it has a FedEx case number. And....nary a word from Celebrity after 2 calls and 2 emails to customer service. Any tips on how to get them to respond and to get my $50 valet charge refunded?

You’re probably tired of this story but.....FedEx called and said my bag would be here tomorrow morning before 10:30 AM. This poor bag has been triple abused! First Celebrity’s valet mis-tagged it and it went to CA, then Southwest must have forgotten to send it to Fed Ex and/or Fed Ex lost it for awhile. We’re gonna have a welcome home celebration for my hairbrush and toothbrush when they get here! (Or should I be cautious and say IF they get here?)

Success! It arrived thus morning. Does anyone know the exact procedure re: the luggage valet service? I'm guessing Celebrity contracts with a "transport all these bags to the airport" company. Do those people then go to each airline and have luggage tags printed from the airline and then retag the bags with tags at the airport...or do they drop them off and then the airline retags them with luggage tags? When we picked up our bags at the airport, they no longer had the tags that Celebrity had provided but rather had the official ones the airline prints out. I don't want to accuse Celebrity if it's actually Southwest's fault. And really...I have my bag now so I guess I should just let it go, right? But it was pretty sad that I had to use the makeup you stick in the back of your cosmetics drawer 'cause it just isn't quite right for the last 4 days! Ha! And how do you actually contact the CAptain's Club? I kept trying online but it was always just the book a cruise part of celebrity or the FAQ section. Is there a special website?

Edited by lizinindy
  • Like 2

" When we picked up our bags at the airport, they no longer had the tags that Celebrity had provided but rather had the official ones the airline prints out. I don't want to accuse Celebrity if it's actually Southwest's fault."

It appears that it is Southwest's fault -- they mis-routed the luggage despite having their own correct tags attached.

You have it pretty much correct -- Celebrity provides "provisional" tags which the airline replaces with their own tags.  Since Southwest put their own tags on the suitcase, Celebrity can't be considered at fault, nor can the company which made the transfer to Southwest.

My guess is it was an airlines mishap. I have had luggage mistakingly go to the wrong airport even with the correct tags attached.  Is Southwest denying any responsibility?  I cannot even imagine a way that it was a Celebrity error unless one of the original tags were incorrect.

Great to hear that your luggage has found it’s way home.

Glad this had a happy ending! Glad it worked out....

SW once lost  all our luggage...going from  Islip NY...small airport, thru Chicago to Seattle..   Turns out the bags never left Islip.. they claim it fell off the belt.. .Arrived via taxi in the middle of the night at our pre cruise hotel.. During the process SW had NO clue where the bags were routed!

OK—-last post, I promise. Celebrity made good on the valet charge (even though it might have been Southwest’s fault). I asked for on board credit for our next scheduled cruise instead of a refund on my credit card and they came through. Good job, Celebrity!

• Like 2