Back from TA, lessons learned

cangelmd

20 minutes ago, mrsgoggins said:

And you may be correct, but neither of us has any idea if the difference would be even larger had the pound not taken such a hit! It is a brave person who maintains that Brexit has had NO effect on prices of goods and services purchased in dollars.  There may be other commercial decisions at play here.

The devaluation of the pound due to Brexit is having an affect directly and indirectly on almost everything. 

What is interesting is that cruises out of Southampton tended to be cheaper when booking with Celebrity UK a few months ago as opposed to booking in the US.

Now pricing has reversed and the big box US TA's appear to be offering the best deals. Our May 19 Celebrity and October 19 AZ cruises are still more expensive in the UK today when compared to the deals we booked with a US TA a couple of weeks ago. I've paid both in full to avoid any nasty exchange rate changes in the coming months just in case though! 

Back on topic. Sincerest thanks to the OP as this this thread has been educational. It's fair to say that it's now highly unlikely that I'd book a Northern TA as I genuinely didn't appreciate the risks involved. I'm sure I'm not alone here either! 

2 hours ago, villauk said:

I dread to think what Reflection is like if the other S class ships feel crowded on TAs.

We've done 4 TA'S on "S" class ships and never felt that way, even the one on the Reflection, although we felt the crowds a bit more on that one.  The only time we ever felt crowded on any of them was when we went to the buffet area around noon....so we just avoided that as much as possible.  You will be fine.

39 minutes ago, Mynki said:

What is interesting is that cruises out of Southampton tended to be cheaper when booking with Celebrity UK a few months ago as opposed to booking in the US.

Now pricing has reversed.....................

It definitely has not, still significantly cheaper in Uk

On 11/21/2018 at 7:46 PM, BEAV said:

Just curious to know what TA you disembarked yesterday that had foul weather all the way across?  The Crystal Serenity finished its TA (Lisbon to Ft Lauderdale) today (one day after yours) and a number of posters on that crossing report glorious warm weather and calm seas. 

Pursuit Barcelona to Miami.

Not rough at all by our standards but heard lots of complaints from virgin crossers.  One day of full, warm sun, one day of partial sun and mostly cloudy the balance of the sailing.  And one day is plenty to change the weather.  

I also took this cruise.  Thought the food was good.  Entertainment acceptable.  Speakers good.  Had to go to the dentist on a Sunday in Boston, but that was my problem. :classic_wink:  The sail-in and sail-away from NYC were breathtaking.  A sea day instead of Nassau was an improvement.  Also had a long balcony behind the hump so protected from the wind; used it wearing my hoodie and bundled up in a blanket.  Still couldn't read = asleep by 2nd page.

Same ship, same itinerary, same cabin in 2019 is 80% more than 2018. 

P.S.  Phil, on that 2007 Constellation TA, when we got into St John's, Newfoundland, it was too windy to get out so we had to overnight there which made us miss Saint John, New Brunswick (Bay of Fundy).  Still was a great cruise with great friends.  

Edited by goofysmom99

7 hours ago, mickey89 said:

It definitely has not, still significantly cheaper in Uk

You might want to find a more competitive US TA then because ours is currently beating Celebrity UK on every 2019 cruise I've looked at. 😉 

Edited by Mynki

I am trying to understand the OPs frustration.  It sounds like they booked a late season crossing on a Northern route which is seldom going to get you warm weather.  And late Oct into October on the Northern routes puts you right in the path of any "Noreaster" that work their way up the US East Coast and then head across the Atlantic.  We have take a few of the late crossing and understand that we will be spending most of our days inside the ship.   As to loud music, we have also suffered this on a few X cruises which is one reason, among many, why we have substantially cut-back on our X bookings.  

We have thought that Celebrity has been gradually going downhill in overall quality for the past 3-5 years.  Some attribute this to an apparent senior management philosophy of boosting the bottom line by a combination of cut-backs and price increases.   We are now debating between a future cruise on MSC (yacht club) and X...which might be an indication of just how far we think X has fallen.  Another booking (in Alaska) that in the past might have been with Celebrity has been made with Seabourn.

Hank

On 11/21/2018 at 3:25 PM, jody75 said:

TA are the cheapest cruises for a good reason especially the western crossing. It surely wasn’t a surprise sailing the Atlantic in winter, doing a little research always pays dividends.  Last year Eclipse was diverted south, Beaches and Broadway Cruise it was called, it ended as a nightmare for most. 

Sorry I have to disagree that last year on Eclipse was a nightmare we were on the cruise and also on 2015 Eclipse T/a . You may be referring to 2016 but I guess you were not on board for 2017 Eclipse sailing

11 hours ago, Hlitner said:

I am trying to understand the OPs frustration.  It sounds like they booked a late season crossing on a Northern route which is seldom going to get you warm weather.  And late Oct into October on the Northern routes puts you right in the path of any "Noreaster" that work their way up the US East Coast and then head across the Atlantic.  We have take a few of the late crossing and understand that we will be spending most of our days inside the ship.   

Not everyone is as well informed and after all the title of this thread is "lesson learned". It is certainly not a foregone conclusion that you’ll spend your time inside on a ta late in the year, depending upon the route you take.  First Transatlantic I didn’t really have an idea of what to expect. Now I do.  Threads such as this on Cruise Critic serve a useful purpose.

Phil

• Like 3

I just stumbled across this thread. It is interesting because as Silhouette headed across... Edge was just starting to head over as well. I have followed Edge's progress for months... so was tracking her trip. It was noted that she left France a bit early and changed her course because of the storm developing in the north Atlantic. When she left I saw Silhouette (on marinetraffic.com) not far away. So I noticed several ships change itineraries heading south and away from the storm... as much as possible. Someone someplace, I cant recall, noted that the Queen was sticking to her course and heading from Southampton to NYC... her captain apparently bragged that she was made for this. Well I don't know about you but... when I cruise I am on vacation and having a smooth ride or at least as smooth as possible is important to me. Back in the 60s we sailed from Holland to NY... but it was transportation... not a cruise... so being six for several days was not ideal... but somewhat expected.  I looked at a website for looking at ocean wave height and noticed that the path the Queen was taking had seas up to 40ft.... and while it seemed to calm down a bit... it could still have been 30ft when they went through.. The seas further south... were not calm... but shades of light blue vs yellow (higher waves). So your trip may not have been pleasant but from what I could see the storm was quite large and waves height was substantial many hundreds of miles from the center of the storm.... other than staying put someplace... there was not much else to be done. But you really raise some good points about TA travel. I have wanted to do a trip like this BUT my husband is unsteady on his feet and I think the motion ... even if there is not storm... might make it difficult for him to get around the cabin... let alone other parts of the ship. Also, I have been fortunate enough not to have my old motion sickness problem surface while cruising... hate to discover that again. Great writeup by the way

4 minutes ago, kearney said:

. So I noticed several ships change itineraries heading south and away from the storm... as much as possible. Someone someplace, I cant recall, noted that the Queen was sticking to her course and heading from Southampton to NYC... her captain apparently bragged that she was made for this. Well I don't know about you but... when I cruise I am on vacation and having a smooth ride or at least as smooth as possible is important to me. 

I was on the same TA as the OP, and I had a friend on the Queen Mary, which left Southampton the day after we did.  By that time, the storm was much closer to the UK; also, the Queen was going directly to NY, with a one-week crossing; we on the Silhouette had the luxury of adding an additional sea day to our 15-night itinerary.  Even so, my friend on the Queen emailed me that they had gone further south than originally planned, though not as far south as the Silhouette did (we got south of the Azores!).  They still had winds so strong that she was afraid early on to step out on her balcony.

2 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

I was on the same TA as the OP, and I had a friend on the Queen Mary, which left Southampton the day after we did.  By that time, the storm was much closer to the UK; also, the Queen was going directly to NY, with a one-week crossing; we on the Silhouette had the luxury of adding an additional sea day to our 15-night itinerary.  Even so, my friend on the Queen emailed me that they had gone further south than originally planned, though not as far south as the Silhouette did (we got south of the Azores!).  They still had winds so strong that she was afraid early on to step out on her balcony.

I wondered what it was like on the Queen. I did not closely watch her on marine traffic... but kept looking at the ocean forecast site and while it calmed down some from the day it took off...it was still quite a bit rougher than the seas further south. I think Cunard has more of a transportation vs vacation business model. During hurricane season Royal ended up adding several days to one cruise (I think it was Grandeur of the Seas) and taking it from another to avoid Florence. I can not image Cunard going the same... and frankly on a NY to England run... there is not place to stop for a day or two.

17 hours ago, Gracie115 said:

Yup....Celebrity prices on TA's are frightening....can't imagine what they will be when they come out with the 2020 ones in a week.

19 hours ago, goofysmom99 said:

Same ship, same itinerary, same cabin in 2019 is 80% more than 2018. .....

Not sure where the comparisons are being drawn from. The 2019 TA Verandas are all in the range of $2,000 so an 80% increase over 2018 TA’s would make the 2018 prices that no longer exist barely $1,000. 

Just booked the Sihouette for Oct 2019 and good price. Done 3 TA’s all good wx. Going Southampton to Boston as next port so more northerly than others. Wx is a factor on any vacation especially in Oct further north. life. 

As to crowding. Not sure how any ship is crowded because of wx when pretty much the same are inside in the evenings as on a rainy day and haven’t seen it crowded except at some bar. Just different perception. 

Den

19 hours ago, Gracie115 said:

Yup....Celebrity prices on TA's are frightening....can't imagine what they will be when they come out with the 2020 ones in a week.

Which is why we always wait until after final payment to book TAs. If they don’t fill the ship at current prices, they will drop. 

Edited by BEAV

I have no idea what opening prices were.  I booked the 2018 TA 12 months out while on a 2017 TA.  I only book a TA while ON a TA to get the included gratuities.  So, the price for a 2019 TA 12 months out is 80% higher than one I booked 12 months out in 2017.  Not an opening price but an equal comparison time wise.  BTW, they have added a choice between gratuities or wifi for booking a repo while on a repo.  Gratuities are still worth more for me. 

Edited by goofysmom99

2 hours ago, BEAV said:

Which is why we always wait until after final payment to book TAs. If they don’t fill the ship at current prices, they will drop. 

We will do that someday too I suppose but for now I am still working so can't wait till last minute to plan an extended trip....

I’m glad others are able to find pricing they feel are reasonable. I do find it a bit of a stretch to state that just about any TA price, except maybe the Edge, is ‘frightening’. Most are very reasonable and some are killer deals. A daily cost of  less than $120pp/per day for a veranda is, in my book, fantastic. 

And yes, waiting until close to the cruise date may, and I’ll stress  the word ‘may’, get cheaper SRs, but for TA’s, we book very early, plan on going over early or staying later and touring on our own and getting good flight pricing. And personally, I love to think and plan and plot on cruises such as this on all the options. Part of the enjoyment. 

My very subjective opinion is when when comparing prices between years and then think it’s a trend misses the point of there being so many variables in the price I paid and what I see for what I think is a comparable situation.  

The price I agreed to pay obviously is what I think is worth it. If someone gets a better deal, great for them. But there are many reasons for price differences and that’s why I don’t list what I paid - there’s always someone who says they did better, or at least will post such. And....l...don’t...care. 

Den

Edited by Denny01

"And yes, waiting until close to the cruise date may, and I’ll stress  the word ‘may’, get cheaper SRs, but for TA’s, we book very early, plan on going over early or staying later and touring on our own and getting good flight pricing. And personally, I love to think and plan and plot on cruises such as this on all the options. Part of the enjoyment. "

That's part of the reason I am booking so early.  I am taking a TA cruise, then meeting a land tour/group in Dublin for 2 weeks.  Yeah ... it got a little complicated ... but should be one helluva trip.  

Edited by CruiseGal999

4 hours ago, Denny01 said:

The price I agreed to pay obviously is what I think is worth it. If someone gets a better deal, great for them. But there are many reasons for price differences and that’s why I don’t list what I paid - there’s always someone who says they did better, or at least will post such. And....l...don’t...care. 

Den

I agree and we've booked our TA's in all but one case the day they came available.  Those were in 2015, 2016 and 2018 and were in the same room each time and the price has at least doubled for those same rooms and in 2019 is even higher for same accommodations so our reservation for that one is in a lower category, which is STILL higher than the better stateroom on the first one we took in 2015.   Obviously we are still happy to pay what we are paying or we wouldn't book but that does not change the fact that the prices have risen a lot in the last few years for TA's.....

22 hours ago, emmas gran said:

Sorry I have to disagree that last year on Eclipse was a nightmare we were on the cruise and also on 2015 Eclipse T/a . You may be referring to 2016 but I guess you were not on board for 2017 Eclipse sailing

We were on the 2017 Eclipse cruise (from Southampton to Boston, NYC, etc) too, and it was a cakewalk.  No weather problems.  Spent much of our time on our port balcony.😎

On 11/21/2018 at 10:45 AM, cangelmd said:

..........If you planned on sitting in the Library reading, you needed to stake out a spot by about 8 am. ......

Everything you said is accurate.  Being able to get outside would have made a big difference... but Celebrity had no control over the weather and I do think Captain George took care of us and the ship in a most responsible and prudent manner which I really appreciated.  

I have a point to make about the library and the Hideaway.  The chairs in those locations are much sought after but for some reason people take their books to fall asleep there.  People are free to do what they want, I understand that, but we couldn't figure out why people didn't just stay in their cabins to read or return to their cabins when they felt they were getting sleepy leave those high demand chairs for the next guy.  We read (and napped) a lot in our cabin.  It was quite nice and enjoyable.  We'd fix a nice cup of tea of hot chocolate, hunker down under those cosy plaid deck blankets on the bed, and read or watch a movie ... and subsequently fall asleep.  I highly recommend it. Curled up on your own bed under a cosy blanket is a far superior way to have a nap than sitting the a chair, snoring with your mouth hanging in plain view of all the people going up and down in the elevators.

• Like 3