Izumi $49.99 - No longer a la carte?

twangster

We went to Izumi twice for sushi on two different cruises.  The sushi was decent.  However the service on each occasion was lousy.  The servers seemed more interested in serving the teppanki guest than the people on the sushi side.

Since then we did not have a desire to go back again.

This new prix fix menu  is nails on the coffin.  I have no interest in eating dessert after a sushi meal.  Based on the price and the quality, I would prefer another roll, or a few more nigri pieces.

I have eaten at Izumi on Grandeur for each cruise.  I have enjoyed it.

But this change will stop me from going there. 

The last two times it was part of a 3 night package, and gave $50 credit the first time and $35 the second.  We had soup, one starter, a sushi combo each, a special roll, and dessert each.  Did not hit the limit either time.

Never did hibachi on RCCL. Now living in Japan and cannot even imagine I would pay that much for it. Can do a sushi go round and leave very satisfied for less than $20. Also hibachi here is someone cooking your food, no entertainment which I don't really enjoys anyways as it is the same old each time. Doubt we ever visit Izumi if this is the new pricing.

I thought it was only me.  $50 for hibachi ?!

That is a lot if I was home but on a ship where I already paid for dinner

in the dining room or buffet it’s actually much more than $50.  How much do 

you figure a dining room meal or buffet would cost if you had to pay for it ?  Add that amount to the surcharge and that is the actual cost of the meal.

Granted the food and service is not exactly the same but I can go a few nights without the specialty restaurants and wait until the ship gets back to Miami or I get home. 

There used be a reasonable surcharge for the specialty restaurants on the ship.  

When did it become more expensive than eating out at home and whose idea was it to charge more for the hibachi than the steak house ?

I’ll see you all in the dining room.🙃

I don't disagree with you. 

Royal increases prices since some guests keep paying it.  When they go too far they introduce sales and packages to fill the restaurants.  When those sell out they increase the price.  When they go too far they put dining packages on sale.  The cycle continues because some one keeps buying it.

• Like 2

I am hoping that "Reserve now, as this prix-fixe menu won’t be available for purchase onboard." means that the a la carte pricing will still be available when making reservations onboard and/or using a dining package.

On ‎11‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 10:13 PM, cruisin4kicks said:

This is nuts. I'm wondering if Royal made a mistake on their website (wouldn't be the 1st time) and will make a correction when it's brought to their attention. One can only hope. We're going on the Oasis Jan 6 and I just checked the specialty restaurant prices...

Chop's:  $39.99

Giovanni's:  $39.99

Izumi Hibachi: $45.00

Izumi: &49.99

How in the world is Izumi more expensive than Chop's? Not 100% sure but based on the above, I think the Chop's price dropped around $10 as well on Oasis class ships. One last thing, my wife's favorite sushi roll (Champagne Lobster Roll) isn't even on the Izumi menu anymore. What's up with that?

Tim

What so funny, I got an e-mail with Black Friday specials and it calls for a 20% discount at for Izumi.  However, when  you go to the dining Izumi says the price of $49.99 includes the discount.  What $62.50 per--ridiculous.

2 hours ago, drneal said:

I thought it was only me.  $50 for hibachi ?!

That is a lot if I was home but on a ship where I already paid for dinner

in the dining room or buffet it’s actually much more than $50.  How much do 

you figure a dining room meal or buffet would cost if you had to pay for it ?  Add that amount to the surcharge and that is the actual cost of the meal.

Granted the food and service is not exactly the same but I can go a few nights without the specialty restaurants and wait until the ship gets back to Miami or I get home. 

There used be a reasonable surcharge for the specialty restaurants on the ship.  

When did it become more expensive than eating out at home and whose idea was it to charge more for the hibachi than the steak house ?

I’ll see you all in the dining room.🙃

I can go to my local Japanese restaurant (Fuji Steakhouse) and for $21 (+ tax & grats.) I get hibachi dinner of Miso soup. salad, shrimp appetizer (3), sea scallops, brown or white rice, tea, and ice cream.

Edited by nelblu

On 11/22/2018 at 4:55 PM, twangster said:

Here is what you get for $50:

Fixed price is per person, applies to select menu items and includes (1) miso soup, (1) choice of starter, (1) choice of signature roll or ramen, (5) pieces sashimi or nigiri, and (1) choice of dessert. Choices are limited to current menu offerings in the specific menu category listed. No substitutions allowed. No discount or refund will be given for unused courses. All other menu items may be purchased for an additional change.

That wouldn't be $50 per person in a great Sushi restaurant near me.  

If you check the old menu that would come out to about $35  or $38 per person. They are making out big time but may just be trying to sell more ultimate dining packages

We ate at Izumi Hibachi on Harmony in September.  NEVER going near the dump again.  We'll be back on Harmony in December and we won't even walk by the front door of that place.  Your sushi/hibachi restaurants back home are much more reasonable and far better.  

Maybe this will help spread out the UDP users to include Izumi but must eat there? 

I figure now there is NO shot at Izumi with UDP on Mariner but before the flat fee had hoped to possibly order some rolls to go and eat them elsewhere.  No real non-hibachi space to dine at Izumi on Mariner (a few seats at the bar hard to get and use for sushi making class).

This "deal" is no longer offered in my cruise planner.  Just Chops, Giovanni, and the Chef's Table.  Nothing about Izumi.

However, this still does show in my purchase history (no, I did not pay $49... pretty sure I stumbled into a pricing mistake and I'm not holding my breathe they will honor it).

I dropped by Izumi to ask how it will work tomorrow for my UDP visit tomorrow here on Oasis.  

I booked UDP during the Izumi $50 fixed price days with the UDP terms and conditions modified to remove any reference of cover charge.

I'll get a $35 credit like the old days.  

It's almost like the ship never heard of the fixed price thing and with it now absent from the cruise planner it makes me wonder if it was pulled quickly based on the immediate and inevitable feedback such a price point seemed to demand.  

At any rate, back to Izumi business as usual.  

• Thanks 1

On 11/22/2018 at 12:48 AM, MaryL31 said:

I am currently on Anthem.  We looked at their menu 2 days ago but haven't gotten around to eating there yet.  It was ala carte at that time.  I will ask about the flat fee tomorrow.  Can't imagine they would do that and think they would be successful.  

Please let us know when you eat there and how you liked it. 

Our older Daughter's family will be on Anthem for Christmas. The expense won't scare them away if what they get is worth it.   Many others probably feel the same.  

Looking forward to your reply.  

I am currently on Anthem.  We looked at their menu 2 days ago but haven't gotten around to eating there yet.  It was ala carte at that time.  I will ask about the flat fee tomorrow.  Can't imagine they would do that and think they would be successful.  

Our older Daughter's family will be on Anthem for Christmas. The expense won't scare them away if what they get is worth it.   Many others probably feel the same.  

You have posted this four times.

Ok so I am really confused now. I bought the UDP for Harmony. So did I really just get a 35 credit at each restaurant? Or is it as I thought, that it covers Chops, Giovanni, etc..So if I want to eat at Wonderland, what am I getting and what am I paying ?And what restaurant is open when I board, Chops?