RoyalUP? (Bid for stateroom upgrade)

John&LaLa

7 minutes ago, wwcruisers said:

When it comes to the inherent silliness of this program, I can even top this. We booked a truly last-minute 'family cruise' on Indy, for next month. We snagged one of the last JS's, and got a nearby inside cabin for our son and his family. He called me yesterday, saying that he had received an e-mail from RC, encouraging him to put in a bid for a higher grade cabin. That same morning, I had pulled up our cruise and it showed 'sold-out' in EVERY category, except for 'inside guarantee'. I told my DS not to waste his time or energy, because (from what I could see at least) there was nothing on the ship to upgrade TO.:classic_wacko:

There have been many posts regarding the availability of sold-out cabins.

We also booked a last minute family cruise on Adventure,  The only cabins available online were OV guarantees.  My son ended up with a spacious balcony cabin that was supposedly sold out.  The problem, it was a connecting cabin.  It checked online and indeed all balconies were still sold out.  

I called my TA anyway.  They called RCI and found 2 non-connecting cabins in that same category.  Changed cabins with no change in prices and everyone was happy.

I wouldn't consider that a waste of time or energy.

4 minutes ago, steveru621 said:

There have been many posts regarding the availability of sold-out cabins.

We also booked a last minute family cruise on Adventure,  The only cabins available online were OV guarantees.  My son ended up with a spacious balcony cabin that was supposedly sold out.  The problem, it was a connecting cabin.  It checked online and indeed all balconies were still sold out.  

I called my TA anyway.  They called RCI and found 2 non-connecting cabins in that same category.  Changed cabins with no change in prices and everyone was happy.

I wouldn't consider that a waste of time or energy.

He was able to change a cabin that he got assigned from the Royal Up program?

32 minutes ago, molly361 said:

He was able to change a cabin that he got assigned from the Royal Up program?

Yes, it was a little misleading.  My point was only that showing sold out online is not always an indication of what's available.

It was not the RoyalUP program.

2 hours ago, Sunnyside up said:

To date DH or I have not received any such emails for upgrade cabin bidding, the Genie program, or any of the upsale offers by RCCL.  Being a Diamond Plus C&A member  that it is disheartening..  I have to find out about all this stuff, on cruise critic.  RCCL are you listening.  And yes, I have that box checked in my profile that allows them to send me emails, on promotions.  I do check their official site about twice a month to see if they are offering any price specials.  About 2 years ago we stopped getting promotional emails.    

I have 13 cruises booked and have not received one email yet as well.  Hmmmm!

Good morning!

I just received an email entitled Royalup, I believe.  It's apparently a bidding upgrade for a better room.  We are currently 3 floor mid ship ocean view.  Not much time, for us anyway, is spent in the room so this is the type of room we go with.  The only thing we might be interested in was an ocean view with balcony.  The bid thus far was $125.00 pp.  My question is that $250 more for the week or $250.00 per day?  Surely not per day, but they do have a way of making money however they can.  Just making sure before I bid and regret it.  Also does anyone know if you would win the bid do they pick your room or do you have that choice?  Any thoughts on if this is a deal or not?  I ask as we don't normally cruise with Royal so we're unfamiliar with how it all really works. 

Thanks all who reply!

The bid is for the whole cruise, so in your example it is $250 for the week.   They will assign you a cabin and you have the option to change to another available cabin in the same category.   Note: you do not get any extra C&A benefits above what you originally paid for (no double points for a suite, balcony discount, etc).

4 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Since when? The Royal UP announcement specifically states you can't move after assignment.

I know of one person who successfully did it (or so they said).   But the chances are slim as the RoyalUP program is supposed to be to eliminate any available cabins so I (personally) can't see it working too often.  

Just received a Royal Up.  I booked last minute (on Tuesday) for 5 night to Cuba/Key West where there are only inside cabins available.  Suites, Ocean view Sold Out.   However the Royal up offer included Jr. Suite, Grand Suite and Owners Suite.  Very interesting with these categories Sold Out.   The cruise is 45 days out so my uneducated guess is the Royal Up program in some regards is to cover RCC in case of cancellations or are they holding rooms back for a bidding war to increase revenue?   In any case I put fair bids in for the Jr. Suite and Grand Suite category.  Pretty close to what the original cost of the cabins would have been.  We'll see what happens.  

44 minutes ago, clarkie02360 said:

Just received a Royal Up.  I booked last minute (on Tuesday) for 5 night to Cuba/Key West where there are only inside cabins available.  Suites, Ocean view Sold Out.   However the Royal up offer included Jr. Suite, Grand Suite and Owners Suite.  Very interesting with these categories Sold Out.   The cruise is 45 days out so my uneducated guess is the Royal Up program in some regards is to cover RCC in case of cancellations or are they holding rooms back for a bidding war to increase revenue?   In any case I put fair bids in for the Jr. Suite and Grand Suite category.  Pretty close to what the original cost of the cabins would have been.  We'll see what happens.  

We  called to buy an upgrade for an upcoming cruise and  were told that the cruise only had Interior and OV cabins left.  We are in a balcony.  Then that same day, got a solicitation  to bid  for a JS, Grand Suite and Owner Suite.  

Not to repeat others, but Data Gathering.

m

• Like 1

We were booked on Oasis for Jan 17 and cancelled two days prior to sailing due to family emergency. Some lucky person got to “RoyalUp” into our Crown Loft Suite, which netted RC a nice profit, I’m sure. Much more lucrative than the former “upgrade fairy” system.

Interestingly enough, we received a statement of onboard charges for the cruise we cancelled. There were obviously no charges, but now I’m wondering if the C&A points will show up too!

Edited by MedicMariner

3 minutes ago, MedicMariner said:

We were booked on Oasis for Jan 17 and cancelled two days prior to sailing due to family emergency. Some lucky person got to “RoyalUp” into our Crown Loft Suite, which netted RC a nice profit, I’m sure. Much more lucrative than the former “upgrade fairy” system.

Interestingly enough, we received a statement of onboard charges for the cruise we cancelled. There were obviously no charges, but now I’m wondering if the C&A points will show up too!

Did RC give you anything for being nice and calling them in advance of the embarkation so they could make an additional profit?

Question

If you bid from a sky class to a star class, and already purchased the deluxe drink package (ETOH) and dinners----and get your upsell, (And you pay on your Credit card for the bid) do they (RCI) reimburse for the drink package and dinners?

Is it On board credit or credit to the credit card?

Thanks

1 hour ago, Lionesss said:

Question

If you bid from a sky class to a star class, and already purchased the deluxe drink package (ETOH) and dinners----and get your upsell, (And you pay on your Credit card for the bid) do they (RCI) reimburse for the drink package and dinners?

Thanks

The deluxe drink package and the dinners can be cancelled.   I can't remember if it is up to 3 days before sail date or up to the sail date.   It is a credit to the credit card but you have to cancel yourself by phone or online.   It is not automatic.

3 minutes ago, tcneal said:

The deluxe drink package and the dinners can be cancelled.   I can't remember if it is up to 3 days before sail date or up to the sail date.   It is a credit to the credit card but you have to cancel yourself by phone or online.   It is not automatic.

So if RCI does not tell me I got my bid accepted till day before sailing -------------------------I forfeit my $$$$$?

And still have to pay for drink package and dinners?

Just saying from some posters not finding out till last second that they got their bid accepted.

Thanks

I wonder if at this level of sailing if the concierge solve the problem.

Thanks again

Question

Thanks

I asked Club Royale about this exact scenario and was told to go to guest services to get refund on the drink package. They didn’t say how it would be refunded, but if it is OBC and it’s not all used before end of cruise it should be refunded to your CC. 

• Like 1

So if RCI does not tell me I got my bid accepted till day before sailing -------------------------I forfeit my $$$$$?

And still have to pay for drink package and dinners?

Just saying from some posters not finding out till last second that they got their bid accepted.

Thanks

I wonder if at this level of sailing if the concierge solve the problem.

Thanks again

If you get upgraded to star class, all of those things will be credited back to how you paid for them.  I know this because last February I was booked in an owner's suite on the Allure.  After arrival, we found our room to be occupied by other guests.  After going to guest services, we learned we had been upgraded to the Star Loft Suite and went from Sky to Star class.  I had purchased a drink package ahead of time.  Within minutes of notifying our Genie, charges were refunded.  The Genie is the one in charge of your account and does everything for you.  She was also able to get a refund for my father on a excursion he was unable to make due to being ill the day of.