Has Sorrento’s pizza improved? Or still as bad as the reputation?

I had Sorrento's on the Anthem last November. I wasn't the best pizza I ever ate but it was a far cry better than frozen store pizza, convenience store pizza, Little Caesars, and even some pizza shop pies.

Nothing, but nothing beats Tony's Tomato Pie (Northeast Philly) IMHO. It's inverted as the cheese is baked into the crust and the sauce is on top. Maybe I can get the folks at Sorrento's to try making me a Tomato Pie on Symphony in March.

42 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

No Sorrento's on Brilliance.  Pizza slices at Park Cafe late.

To my knowledge, Sorrento's is only on Majesty, Freedom class, and Oasis class.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=2210

Sorrento's is found on:

• Allure of the Seas
  • Anthem of the Seas
  • Freedom of the Seas
  • Harmony of the Seas
  • Independence of the Seas
  • Liberty of the Seas
  • Majesty of the Seas
  • Oasis of the Seas
  • Quantum of the Seas
  • Symphony of the Seas

It's also on Spectrum of the Seas and Ovation of the Seas, so all Quantum Class, too.

5 hours ago, cruisenewb1 said:

As a Brit cruising from Sydney in January the overnight availability of food will be important given my inevitable jet lag.

It seems that Sorrentos is the main late night option but reading through forum threads it seems that it has become famous (perhaps notorious) for its poor quality.

Recently, however, I’ve seen articles suggesting RCI have putting a lot of effort into improving the product. Has it worked?

Cafe Promenade is open 24 hours, Sorrento's shuts down around 3 am. Plenty of late night food.  And to add my 2 cents worth, we were just on Symphony and the pizza was not bad at all. Try a slice of each variety as some are better then others.

In the past, I never really liked Sorrento’s but I ate it occasionally while on the ship. 

I thought it had a peculiar smell that emanated from the entire place. 

Recently, on the Liberty in Sept and on the Symphony TA in Oct, the pizza was definitely different and absolutely delicious. I’d say it went from a 3 to a 9 on a scale of 1 to 10. 

Was on Anthem of the Seas back in 2016 and the pizza from Sorrento’s tasted like cardboard with tomato paste on it.  Had one slice and didn't have it again on that cruise.

Fast forward to Oct 2018, was back on Anthem and for some reason decided it give it another shot and found it definitely improved!  Not the best but still good.  So much so that I had a slice (or two) each day on that 9 day cruise.

FYI, I was born in NYC and live in NJ and while I don't consider myself a pizza snob, I think I might be one by default and just don't know it.  LOL...

5 hours ago, dswallow said:

If you want to experience awful pizza, you need to go on a ship without a Sorrento's. Like Explorer of the Seas. 

The pizza in your photo looks DREADFUL! I came off Explorer a couple weeks ago, and actually thought the pizza in Cafe Promenade was quite good. It was always fresh and hot with the cheese melting everywhere, and a generous amount of toppings. The Windjammer on the other hand, ugh.

New York pizza loving and seeking family here.  On Anthem in May 2017 it was fine!  Not the best but we enjoyed it for what it was.  Even more exciting, they offer gluten free option for my celiac daughter, and she thought it was perfectly standard gf pizza that satisfied her craving.

Can say that Serenade of the Seas pizza in WindJammer has improved 100%, I been eating it it everyday for Lunch last 3 weeks. It is nothing like it was last yr or before. I've had/Tried Pizza on Royal for over 30yrs. They have changed a lot in this WJ, Hamburgers are no longer served in a pan of grease. Food like that and steaks are on a warmer/grill, like a big George Foreman stle surface.  Presentation in all ss much improved...

Edited by ONECRUISER

Harmony Sept/Oct

It's gotten better the past year.  

Veggie overload

20181003_205914.jpg

20180923_205115.jpg

This was Mariner from April

Took 2 weeks to train the crew

Extra sauce, extra cheese, and cook it longer

20180504_122045.jpg

Waiting for a pie in Cafe Promenade

20180503_211652.jpg

Edited by John&LaLa

I am a bit of a food snob. 

On allure in 2017 took one bite of sorrentos and that was enough for me. Soggy and gross. 

On oasis 2018 it was much much better. Ate a number of slices over the week. It was noticeably better. 

44 minutes ago, mcatmcat said:

can you still ask for your own personal pizza on the oasis class ship? 

The first of the real pizza ovens at Sorrento's was on Quantum. Every ship before that was cardboard gross. Quantum was great

(click the first link "Hoopster replied to a topic")

Sorrento's on Harmony had the same set-up, so I assume Symphony will as well

(again click the first link "Hoopster replied to a topic".)

I can't remember if Oasis is set up in this fashion.... from memory it's not. I think this set-up started inb 2014 on Q, I sailed Oasis in 2013. Someone correct me if I'm wrong

Edited by Hoopster95

We were on the Allure for two weeks in October. Based on our previous cruises and the terrible pizza at Sorrentos, we weren't even going to try it. One of the first nights, we were sitting at the bar talking to some of the people and Sorrentos came up. Several people said the pizza had improved greatly recently and we should at least give it a try. We did, and they were right. We had pizza several times after that it it was really good.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CCC3 said:

We cruised on Liberty in early October and were VERY pleasantly surprised by the improved pizza and salads available in Sorrentos.  To us, it looked like they were at least TRYING to improve.  

That's good to hear.  Looking forward to trying it in a few weeks!

I do have one complaint about Sorentos and it's not even their fault, it's the diners. I've noticed only a couple of the red pepper shakers in the place. Why does someone take a shaker from the counter where it's stored and sit with it at their table while they eat. Just shake out some pepper and leave it for others.  This happened several times on my last cruise. My wife would not let me go to the tables and take the pepper. 

16 hours ago, dswallow said:

In general, Sorrento's has almost always been really good. Though most recently I thought the sauce might've been different (and better) than I'd had previously when going to Sorrento's on Allure in October, but I'd never have considered it bad before. If you want to experience awful pizza, you need to go on a ship without a Sorrento's. Like Explorer of the Seas. 

20180919_004557.thumb.jpg.72e554a63b03b2b45d6bb4f549cf4fd0.jpg

Omg the horror! This is EXACTLY what the pizza on Explorer looked like....and it tasted worse than it looks. 

OMG, the OP opened Pandora's food box again!  No matter what the food topic (MDR, WJ, pizza, Jade sushi, etc.), the comments will run the gamut  of responses from I hate it to it was great and everything in between.  I thought Sorrento's  on Oasis last February was fine, a great foil for a cold beer.  Since most seem to think it's better, I look forward to trying it on Freedom in 3 weeks.  Wonder how it goes with eggnog? And yes, I'm also going to have the sushi in Jade on the Freedom.