Problem with Infinite Veranda, on the New Edge

tapemann

15 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

I thought there was a test cabin on one of the ships with an IV balcony.  For anyone that has seen it or has some pictures, did it have the folding doors without any curtains and only the one shade on the outer window?  Did it have the same tunnel effect as others have discussed?

It was 7197 on Constellation.

36 minutes ago, Wine-O said:

It was 7197 on Constellation.

Thank you for the link.  It was interesting to go back and re-read the thread.  There was concern about the lack of any curtains on the bifold doors.  People identified the issue of not being able to be out on the balcony and allow someone to sleep in cabin (with curtains closed) and the privacy issue with other ships docked next to you.  You can also see how much smaller the IV balcony is relative to the Aqua class balcony on the same ship.  Particularly the depth of the balcony.  The limited width is also apparent with the space consumed by the bifold doors.

There were also people that were absolutely certain that the bifold doors would have seals and could be used as exterior doors.

There was also the issue of a bird that flew into the room.  

Celebrity had all of this information and still proceeded with the design.  Just another example of Celebrity ignoring customer feedback.

Edited by ipeeinthepool

Unfortunately the zeal to create something unique has obliterated any shred of common sense when it comes to the Edge. I just saw photos of the dinner presentation in Eden too............the heavy-handed pretentiousness was unbelievable. It makes me sad to see this.

I love Celebrity....especially the staff and crew but so much of this is ridiculous.

On 12/4/2018 at 2:23 PM, Plum Happy said:

Either sail on the ship or stick with the S ships.  It's unnecessary complaining.  

Nothing will ever stay the same, car designs change,  house designs change,  otherwise there we all would be living in the same house/same car around the world.

Baloney.  These boards are designed to share information,  good or bad.  If Celebrity  can't get feedback on what guests like or don't there is no hope of changing for the better.  If these 'complaining' posts bother you, just don't read them. I for one want to hear what people think of the new design before I shell out big bucks for it.

Edited by phoenix_dream
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It is very clear from a lot of comments that the IV cabins are not popular and they are too dramatic of a change for many Celebrity cruisers.  So what next?  Improve some features like curtains on Edge?  That would help.  I'm not sure if APEX or any other future Edge-class ship will go back to traditional balconies.  Such a redesign would be costly and would change one of the foundational features of Edge-class.  The choice of passengers in the future might only be to sail Edge-Class with IV cabins or sail other more traditional ships.  But the real question will be on what Celebrity does with M-Class on the upcoming major renovations replacing entire cabins.  Will they be balconies or will they be IV's?  They were able to put a demo IV on Connie.  I am hoping that they keep M-Class traditional and give us a choice- To IV or Not To IV.  That is the Question!

• Like 1

Pella makes windows that have a blind inside. These could be added to the panes on the bifold door. Thus, doors open and you have sunlight, doors closed, darkness. This would allow someone to go out on the balcony in the early morning while their partner is still sleeping. This would be an easy fix. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Shelley G said:

Pella makes windows that have a blind inside. These could be added to the panes on the bifold door. Thus, doors open and you have sunlight, doors closed, darkness. This would allow someone to go out on the balcony in the early morning while their partner is still sleeping. This would be an easy fix. 

They would need completely new doors because of the multiple panes and size of the frames.

On 12/4/2018 at 1:23 PM, Plum Happy said:

Either sail on the ship or stick with the S ships.  It's unnecessary complaining.  

Nothing will ever stay the same, car designs change,  house designs change,  otherwise there we all would be living in the same house/same car around the world.

Uh-oh, people on this thread haven't been listening!!!  Am I allowed to sail M ships too, or only S?

Looks like the Ford Edsel / New Coke / Subprime Mortgages were all sucessful marketing genius, if not for the naysayers on these and similar forums!  Who knew?

Edited by Stateroom_Sailor
  • Haha 1

Looks like the IV (and perhaps some other aspects of edge that are starting to emerge) will help illustrate a future masterclass in poor Project Management - failing to identify and supply your user needs! 

I am very keen to see precisely how the Revolution refurb will be rolled out to other ships, particularly Eclipse.  We are looking at Australia in 2020 and Celebrity will have two ships on itineraries in the region - Eclipse (Post Revolution Refit) and Solstice (as is).  Currently based on what I've seen if, post revolution, the Verandas are all going to be IV and non suite guests will have no  views of the bow we will be booking Solstice or another cruise line.  

• Like 1

On ‎12‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 7:06 AM, chengkp75 said:

It seems to me that outside of the aspects of a small, crowded balcony, when used as a "traditional" balcony, that a lot of this could be remedied by installing curtains inside the folding doors.

That being said do you think there will be any added stress or problems with the HVAC functions caused by a possible large number of sliding windows open while the folding doors are open as well?? 

6 hours ago, Alakegirl said:

To CruisingForever, I am not about to bring a roll of mylar or magnets and tape.  That may seem to be an “easy fix” to you but not for us!  They should design the ships correctly in the first place, and if not, they should find a way to fix it that doesnt require me to pack extra devices 

Agreed, these cruises are costing a fortune, the amounts some people have to work for a whole year to make, we should not have to arrive and then have to try and rectify their mistakes.

Edited by yorky

3 hours ago, DYKWIA said:

Looks like the IV (and perhaps some other aspects of edge that are starting to emerge) will help illustrate a future masterclass in poor Project Management - failing to identify and supply your user needs! 

I am very keen to see precisely how the Revolution refurb will be rolled out to other ships, particularly Eclipse.  We are looking at Australia in 2020 and Celebrity will have two ships on itineraries in the region - Eclipse (Post Revolution Refit) and Solstice (as is).  Currently based on what I've seen if, post revolution, the Verandas are all going to be IV and non suite guests will have no  views of the bow we will be booking Solstice or another cruise line.  

The Eclipse renovations are suppose to be complete during our reposition back from Chile.  I hope it's just a few amenity changes, and minor decor updates, like we saw with the Solstice refit.  I doubt they'll be able to convert the verandas.

Have they Identified and supply our needs, or millennial's needs?  It might seem like the latter, but I'm sure they've missed the mark.  Millennials weren't asking for surreal and sinister shows,  IV cabins, niche modern art, or the Magic Carpet.  They're concerned about being trapped on a ship with so many people, the limited time in port, and eating shipboard food vs local cuisine.  They already get a 100% local experience, and the freedom to do so, by flying in.

You can see by the comments, this pitch was not a hit for millennials who already travel:

https://thepointsguy.com/news/new-celebrity-edge-cruise-first-look/

4 hours ago, boscobeans said:

That being said do you think there will be any added stress or problems with the HVAC functions caused by a possible large number of sliding windows open while the folding doors are open as well?? 

Absolutely.  This is the same as anyone who leaves the balcony door open at night, it completely unbalances the AC system.  It's one of the flaws I saw in the original design sketches, as that is exactly what they depicted.

• Like 1

When I pay upwards of $5,000 dollars for a stateroom with a veranda I do that with the expectation that I can sit out on the veranda or recline on a lounger and have a few drinks, read a book or soak up enough sun to get a tan.  This IV concept is more like opening a window in an apartment and leaning out to see if the sun is shining.   

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Alakegirl said:

To CruisingForever, I am not about to bring a roll of mylar or magnets and tape.  That may seem to be an “easy fix” to you but not for us!  They should design the ships correctly in the first place, and if not, they should find a way to fix it that doesnt require me to pack extra devices 

LOL- I'm not suggesting YOU do this at all... it would just be an easy fix for those who are obviously apoplectic about light coming in.  Mylar (or even aluminum foil) sheets are easy to obtain and thin and nearly nonexistent as far as weight goes (it's why they make such great balloons...).  Thin flat magnets (take them off the fridge if you have a few from your ports-o-call) add nearly next to nothing in weight.  Beach towels would work, too (if you don't mind making your cabin look like a frat beach house).

Again, if enough people have a problem and voice their concerns, this is a minuscule problem that could probably be amended by Celebrity if they choose to do so.  Could probably be done between passenger stays.  (You might have to wait till 2pm to get in your cabin the first day! LOL)

As for designing the ships correctly... well, I've been watching the same IV videos since the first animations came out and there was NEVER a mention of curtains on the folding doors.  So, if someone purchased an IV cabin and assumed (you know about the word "assume", right?) that curtains would be there, that's actually their fault, not Celebrity's.  Celebrity made no secret what these cabins would look like at all.  In fact, they are exactly as portrayed in the pre-building animations.

I am much more concerned about this rumor (CC is often a rumor machine) about the Captain locking the infinite veranda windows shut in port.  If that's the case, I will cancel our reservation.  

• Like 1

On 12/7/2018 at 3:49 PM, miched said:

Celebrity may change it after they get enough lawsuits from the ships that are docked across from them for the scary views that prevent their passengers from enjoying sitting on their balcony 😱

happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅.  

It is a major issue for the birds. Verandas are bad enough if seagulls are lured onto them to get food. On our last cruise we heard a commotion on the balcony next door and a poor seagull was trapped and could not get over the glass to the rail and he kept flying into it trying to get out. I am sure it broke its wings and beak. I called to report and they told me crew would rescue it and I never heard further. I really don't want to know. It was very sad. People should never feed the seagulls. I hope the infinite verandas won't lure them inside the cabin. 

2 hours ago, Cruising Forever! said:

LOL- I'm not suggesting YOU do this at all... it would just be an easy fix for those who are obviously apoplectic about light coming in.  Mylar (or even aluminum foil) sheets are easy to obtain and thin and nearly nonexistent as far as weight goes (it's why they make such great balloons...).  Thin flat magnets (take them off the fridge if you have a few from your ports-o-call) add nearly next to nothing in weight.  Beach towels would work, too (if you don't mind making your cabin look like a frat beach house).

Again, if enough people have a problem and voice their concerns, this is a minuscule problem that could probably be amended by Celebrity if they choose to do so.  Could probably be done between passenger stays.  (You might have to wait till 2pm to get in your cabin the first day! LOL)

As for designing the ships correctly... well, I've been watching the same IV videos since the first animations came out and there was NEVER a mention of curtains on the folding doors.  So, if someone purchased an IV cabin and assumed (you know about the word "assume", right?) that curtains would be there, that's actually their fault, not Celebrity's.  Celebrity made no secret what these cabins would look like at all.  In fact, they are exactly as portrayed in the pre-building animations.

I am much more concerned about this rumor (CC is often a rumor machine) about the Captain locking the infinite veranda windows shut in port.  If that's the case, I will cancel our reservation.  

Maybe ask for an extra sheet or two and have them attach! LOL

6 hours ago, Cruising Forever! said:

I don’t know the source of the rumor, but that doesn’t sound unreasonable during fueling operations 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, DYKWIA said:

I think Celebrity is doing full cabin replacements only on M-Class ships.  

• 2 years later...
On 12/7/2018 at 4:48 AM, h20cruzer said:

Can anyone comment on this. I believe I read a comment by someone that was on the ship in an infinite Veranda that when the captain pulled into port he had the ability to put the window up and lock it. If that is the case what’s the point of having a veranda if you can’t have the window open while sailing in and out of port.?

Norma

Probably more for use in foul weather. I can see idiots leaving the IV window open in a raging hurricane

currently doing a forum search for info on Edge and IV balconies. Has anything changed from all the negatives listed in this thread? Curtains added? Will keep searching but since this thread already had a few comments today thought I'd just add a question here  🙂🙃

Having just booked Edge for Aug. 28, the whole IV thing has me intrigued, as we will have one for our first Celebrity cruise (we were booked on RC Oasis, but the cruise was cancelled and we decided to try something out of the box). A real love/hate thing for people, it seems, but an upgrade over those old porthole cabins, at minimum. I expect to review it -- and everything else about how cruising is -- in early Sept. when we get back (probably old news, but its the journalist in me).

• Like 3