Problem with Infinite Veranda, on the New Edge

tapemann

33 minutes ago, wckdtrix said:

I really don't understand what makes these rooms a balcony/veranda.   Its literally a window that opens, what I am I missing that makes it a balcony?    Does my house have multiple "balconies" because I can open the windows?    I am just very confused on how these rooms can be considered anything more than an ocean view with an operable window.    Maybe I am missing something???

At one time I had this Panoramic Oceanview cabin booked on Grandeur of the Seas.  I guess now they'll have to call it a "Sealed Veranda", who knew?

Screen Shot 2018-12-05 at 7.03.10 AM.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

While I agree that complaints about the functionality should be made to management, it's not as simple as you say to "nip this in the bud".  Going back to traditional balconies would involve a massive structural change to the design of the ship, resulting in tens of millions in change orders for any ship under construction, and delays due to new plans and new bids being required for the redesigned ships.  Even things like lowering the glass partition to a more normal balcony railing height (though this may not be feasible, as the lowered height needs to be 1/2 of the total height), or using smart glass, would lead to serious delays if a ship is already under construction, given the sheer amount of new materials needed, and the cost of the cancelled orders for the old materials.

I think there are other things besides the actual lack of a balcony that can be changed on APEX, such as the furniture, adding curtains, etc. But hopefully Celebrity takes note of the feedback for the two that are a couple of years away.  The new "Balconies" are already malfunctioning and the blind is already having to be replaced on a few cabins after two weeks.  

Edited by Cruise Junky

2 hours ago, wckdtrix said:

I really don't understand what makes these rooms a balcony/veranda.   Its literally a window that opens, what I am I missing that makes it a balcony?    Does my house have multiple "balconies" because I can open the windows?    I am just very confused on how these rooms can be considered anything more than an ocean view with an operable window.    Maybe I am missing something???

52 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

How can they call these verandah rooms?  

Remember Humpty Dumpty “when I use a word it means just what I choose it to mean”

Because you can close the glass folding doors to separate the cabin from the balcony, and then open the balcony window, and you have a fairly enclosed balcony (no AC, fresh air, and view down to the sea over the side) just like a normal balcony.  The other configuration is to close the balcony window, open the folding doors, and you have an oceanview cabin.  I didn't like the idea when it was first proposed, as this will lead folks, based on the artist sketches, to leave both the folding doors and the balcony window open affecting the ship's AC, just as leaving your "traditional" balcony door open.

1 hour ago, chengkp75 said:

Because you can close the glass folding doors to separate the cabin from the balcony, and then open the balcony window, and you have a fairly enclosed balcony (no AC, fresh air, and view down to the sea over the side) just like a normal balcony.  The other configuration is to close the balcony window, open the folding doors, and you have an oceanview cabin.  I didn't like the idea when it was first proposed, as this will lead folks, based on the artist sketches, to leave both the folding doors and the balcony window open affecting the ship's AC, just as leaving your "traditional" balcony door open.

I am pretty sure that the Edge (like several other new ships and even older ships that have been recently in dry dock) has circuitry that completely shuts off the AC in any room while both the folding doors and the balcony window are open so the ship's AC is not effected.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, actuarian said:

I am pretty sure that the Edge (like several other new ships and even older ships that have been recently in dry dock) has circuitry that completely shuts off the AC in any room while both the folding doors and the balcony window are open so the ship's AC is not effected.  

I don't know of any ship that has circuitry that completely shuts off the AC in a cabin when the balcony door is open.  The ships that have the door sensor, shut off the cabin AC, which is the fan and cooler that merely recirculates the cabin air through the cooler to maintain temperature, and which is what is controlled by the thermostat in the cabin.  There is a second AC system, which supplies cooled outside fresh air to the cabin, to make up for the air exhausted by the bathroom vent, and to provide the slight positive pressure required in the cabin to keep smoke from entering from the passageway.  This system uses large fans and air coolers, located in the central "white spaces" that you see on ship's deck plans, that supply air to entire blocks of cabins (typically all the cabins on one or two decks, usually on one side of the ship or the other, and within one fire zone, so maybe 30-50 cabins).  When a balcony door is left open, this reduces the positive pressure in that cabin, so the AC from this fresh air system tends to flow more to this cabin, trying to make up the required overpressure, and so robs the other cabins on the block of their fresh air AC.  If a ship were to control this system by balcony door sensors, it would require a motorized damper at each cabin, and then a variable speed drive or a recirculation damper, to rebalance the air pressure/air flow in this system to the rest of the cabins in the system, each and every time a balcony door is opened or closed.  This would be a financial and maintenance nightmare.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

On 12/3/2018 at 6:47 PM, bogofman said:

This is OK for us, we never close the drapes, and prefer to wake up to natural light.

BTW, I only wake up when I'm ready and light makes no difference, and to a certain extent even noise.

You may wake up to the crew fixing or washing something outside your window.  It happened to us.  We close our drapes. One morning when we got up and discovered the crew fixing something on our veranda. They obtained access from outside.  No advance warning.  Imagine our surprise. 

1 hour ago, ecslady said:

Chengkp75 - I love reading all your posts on multiple threads.  They are so informative.  I learn something new with each one. Thank you for taking the time to explain things.

I agree...I appreciate his input.  

Waggle, we enjoyed 7197 however booked a sunset veranda on the Edge.  7197 almost felt like a room with a really large window.  We never closed the glass doors except to take pics.  So the room did feel a bit larger.  The shade makes the room very dark so set an alarm if you need to get up early!  We felt the air conditioner didn’t work well enough but we like it cool. It is nice when the balcony is open to just walk to the end of the room and look out.  The bird wasn’t a big deal, I helped it out with a towel. As you know, being on a cruise is always great and trying something new was cool. Enjoy.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GilbyJoe said:

Waggle, we enjoyed 7197 however booked a sunset veranda on the Edge.  7197 almost felt like a room with a really large window.  We never closed the glass doors except to take pics.  So the room did feel a bit larger.  The shade makes the room very dark so set an alarm if you need to get up early!  We felt the air conditioner didn’t work well enough but we like it cool. It is nice when the balcony is open to just walk to the end of the room and look out.  The bird wasn’t a big deal, I helped it out with a towel. As you know, being on a cruise is always great and trying something new was cool. Enjoy.

Thank you GilbyJoe. This was partly booked for novelty factor! I love the idea of  the larger , open space. You are right - being able to take cruises is great- this is our 14th.  Edge will probably be ready for revamp by the time we book!

9 hours ago, PTC DAWG said:

I agree...I appreciate his input.  

Thanks again for the feedback I find it really interesting. We ten not tonsail in he new ships with rccl as we find them too big! It’s intresting hearing everyone’s views on this balcony/veranda as on our last cruise they were really trying to push sales on this type of cabin. I think based on what I’ve read recording balcony furniture having no table and various other issues we certainly won’t be paying the extortionate pricing for the edge or apex. We always go in at least aqua class so tonpah this and then things still to be wrong would be very disappointing. 

There are other ships that have balconies inside the outer perimeter of the ship – for example the R-ships now used by Azamara and Celebrity.  There is a traditional balcony railing, but no part of the balcony sticks out beyond the wall of the ship.  The Edge IV cabins are a variation on that, with the addition of the glass window that can enclose the balcony area so that it remains usable in poor weather.  But I agree that they are not suitable for sun-worshipers [and they don't have loungers either!]

19 hours ago, cruisestitch said:

How can they call these verandah rooms?  

Remember Humpty Dumpty “when I use a word it means just what I choose it to mean”

Ha,,

I think "enclosed Veranda"...or sun room is  a more accurate description  than balcony... And using "infinite" as a description is a marketing  joke on us!

It could be salvaged with a standard height table, and chairs, that are less clunky looking than present choice. What they had previously  in AQ class was fine. The seats reclined a bit and had a small foot stool.Table was small but adequate for dining,.OR get a pub table with comfy stools with a back,  so folks can see over the open window .Turn it into a little dining nook,...nice outdoor art on the walls...Voila!

Loungers are just not going to fit...we will have to lounge on the couch or bed located by the doors..

Although I am not a fan of Hoppen or her dorm room design, she was probably given the dimensions to work with  for these tiny house verandas!  

Definitely needs curtains for light control at sea and privacy when docked !

• Like 1

After reading the posts here and elsewhere about cabins on The Edge, I believe many have made some constructive recommendations on improvements and the style of IV's and other cabins overall.

Yet, I cannot help but to think that some have dismissed the facts, X is/has introduced a brand new product based on their thoughts on what the future of cruising will be like for its' passengers. Rather that be in cabin design/structure, entertainment or even in public/private spaces or lack thereof.

X, like many other cruise lines, understands there will be some 'hits' and some 'misses' in certain areas of a new product roll out. They most certainly are not the first line in history to roll out new products and will not be the last. They are not the first to change up cabin or public room spaces/interiors and its' presentation and not the last.

I do recollect reading here on CC, sometime ago, passengers/potential passengers upset over the demise of 'Formal Night' or the introduction of 'Select Dining' these changes did cause some defections, for sure. Yet X continues to sail with a respectable load factor, IMO, since these changes were implemented. I welcome changes to cruising and embrace them, even if with intrepidity initially. Changes will be made to these updates along the way, to be sure.

I do accept that this new design is not everyone's cup of tea, as it were, yet what will those who are upset about it do when or if the industry move towards this type of design? Some will improve on it for sure, so that is not the issue, the issues are the changes being made as to how passengers use to think about sailing and cabin presentation.

We do have plenty of time to sail the 'older' ships before changes are made not only fleet wide, but possibly for all cruise lines, with the possible exception of those vessels carrying 4k+ passengers, yet who knows.

The old days are the old days and we must move forward with new days ahead, or, resist them, or, forget about sailing with new innovations in cruising. After all, we have other options for vacations.

bon voyage

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

We do have plenty of time to sail the 'older' ships before changes are made not only fleet wide, but possibly for all cruise lines, with the possible exception of those vessels carrying 4k+ passengers, yet who knows.

bon voyage

You have three months if you want to sail Celebrity in Asia.  Not that much time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cruise Junky said:

You have three months if you want to sail Celebrity in Asia.  Not that much time.

Tbf, if I recall correctly, both you and I stated that the IV cabins would be like ocean views with a drop-down window when the first renderings of the Edge cabins were released many moons ago 😉. I could search back to confirm, but it’s a little pointless just to say, “Well, we did tell you so.” And no one likes a ‘know-it-all’ :classic_biggrin:. I also recall us saying about the SVs being more desirable - watch those prices rise 😧.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, villauk said:

Tbf, if I recall correctly, both you and I stated that the IV cabins would be like ocean views with a drop-down window when the first renderings of the Edge cabins were released many moons ago 😉. I could search back to confirm, but it’s a little pointless just to say, “Well, we did tell you so.” And no one likes a ‘know-it-all’ :classic_biggrin:. I also recall us saying about the SVs being more desirable - watch those prices rise 😧.

You would be 100% correct :)

5 hours ago, Bo1953 said:

After reading the posts here and elsewhere about cabins on The Edge, I believe many have made some constructive recommendations on improvements and the style of IV's and other cabins overall.

Yet, I cannot help but to think that some have dismissed the facts, X is/has introduced a brand new product based on their thoughts on what the future of cruising will be like for its' passengers. Rather that be in cabin design/structure, entertainment or even in public/private spaces or lack thereof.

X, like many other cruise lines, understands there will be some 'hits' and some 'misses' in certain areas of a new product roll out. They most certainly are not the first line in history to roll out new products and will not be the last. They are not the first to change up cabin or public room spaces/interiors and its' presentation and not the last.

I do recollect reading here on CC, sometime ago, passengers/potential passengers upset over the demise of 'Formal Night' or the introduction of 'Select Dining' these changes did cause some defections, for sure. Yet X continues to sail with a respectable load factor, IMO, since these changes were implemented. I welcome changes to cruising and embrace them, even if with intrepidity initially. Changes will be made to these updates along the way, to be sure.

I do accept that this new design is not everyone's cup of tea, as it were, yet what will those who are upset about it do when or if the industry move towards this type of design? Some will improve on it for sure, so that is not the issue, the issues are the changes being made as to how passengers use to think about sailing and cabin presentation.

The old days are the old days and we must move forward with new days ahead, or, resist them, or, forget about sailing with new innovations in cruising. After all, we have other options for vacations.

bon voyage

I'm a glass half full person too but they had a real opportunity to make this something wonderful and they didn't. Thankfully there are people who provide constructive criticism rather than just blindly accepting everything. They may even help the company to mitigate what could be a huge mistake. I certainly don't believe that this is the "future of cruising" for everyone.

• Like 1

Would really be interesting to hear from anyone who experienced the Beta IV on Constellation.   They installed it about a year + before Edge came out to test it out.   Wonder if due to the difference in the balconies not being flush with the ship the experience is different.  

We are excited about the ship and look forward to sailing on her in the future. The IV will work well for us. I am the early riser and I’ll be darned if I’m going to sit on a veranda by myself for an hour or so while DH sleeps in. I dress,  grab my iPad and head for Cafe el Bacio for my caffeine fix and join the test of the early risers on the ship!  There are lots of us!,  we congregate in the Cafe, ocean view etc and within a couple of days you recognize the same people. 

No way I would sit on the balcony by myself for any reason for that long lol

so I am sure there are lots of people who will be thrilled with the IV design:)

• Like 2